theory: Galladon in WoK

Zas678

Ehh. I just didn't like that when asked if Thinker is Demoux, he did not say "Yes." He said "Demoux is in that scene." Like there was some reason he felt it was inaccurate to label Thinker as Demoux, per se. And all these theories about his lifespan, plus the theories of Sazed wanting an envoy to other planets -- Kandra makes sense for both of these very simply.

I'm not saying I'm certain this is it by any means. But it's an unusual enough direction to fit Brandon's style.

Edited by Pechvarry

I think "from Mistborn" means "born on Scadrial", so I don't feel Hoid qualifies under this criterion. This is very cool that there are more. Brandon has always said that in the novels there are more worldhoppers than we have caught.

Holy shoot! Kelsier is Returned?!? Somehow...?! Exceptions to sDNA, biggest mystery in the cosmere: Kelsier is half Noble/quarter skaa/quarter Nalthisian?!?!?!???!?!!!?!??!!?!?!?!

:o:wub::ph34r::wacko:

So, first time posting, but I did want to add to the whole "Kandra-Demoux" theory. If you remember, Demoux (as per a promise Brandon made) fell in love with a Terriswoman. Why would Demoux choose to become immortal and lose her? Demoux would be there and watch her die of old age and then have to deal with never being able to see her again. Harmony wouldn't force Demoux to be his emissary, he just doesn't work like that. Even if Marsh somehow spiked Demoux against his will, what would make Demoux compound age when his beloved wife died?

I can only come up with two explanations. The first of which is Pechvarry's Kandra theory. The second of which is that there is some higher reason for Demoux to need to continue on.

I had the same thought as you Espeon, and it made me sad to think of Demoux leaving his wife behind. But I think that if she died, Demoux would be courageous enough to put the good of the cosmere before his own happiness. I think he would keep on living if he believed that he was helping to accomplish an important goal. Since there are no Mistborn and, presumably, no Atium Mistings anymore, very few people in Scadrial would be able to pull off the compounding Atium trick, so Demoux is probably honor bound to look after his world since no one else can. (As for how he's storing age I have no idea. Maybe Marsh saved him another spike) Anyway, Ireally don't think Demoux is actually a kandra in the TWoK scene. Brandon wou,don't have confirmed it to be Demoux if it was actually him. I see that as a downright lie, and I've seen Brandon get evasive about secrets, but I've never seen him lie about his books.

I admit I still don't totally understand how the compounding age trick works, but presuming that's what's kept Demoux alive for centuries, is it possible that he DIDN'T leave his wife? Like, that he could have lived a long and happy life with her for decades, and only after she died did he start worldhopping, and stored enough age at that point that he looks forty or so during WoK?

yes it is very possible that he lived out his natural life with his wife before he started worldhopping.

When he compounds age he stores youth in atium metalminds making himself older, then when he burns the atium metalmind he can either burn it as atium, or he can burn the age stored in it, when he burns the age he gets back more than he originally put in making himself younger than when he started and giving him more age to store in another metalmind, and repeat. If he used some of the excess age released to make himself younger he could theoretically gradually make himself younger and younger until he was satisfied.

So, first time posting, but I did want to add to the whole "Kandra-Demoux" theory. If you remember, Demoux (as per a promise Brandon made) fell in love with a Terriswoman. Why would Demoux choose to become immortal and lose her? Demoux would be there and watch her die of old age and then have to deal with never being able to see her again. Harmony wouldn't force Demoux to be his emissary, he just doesn't work like that. Even if Marsh somehow spiked Demoux against his will, what would make Demoux compound age when his beloved wife died?

I can only come up with two explanations. The first of which is Pechvarry's Kandra theory. The second of which is that there is some higher reason for Demoux to need to continue on.

He fell in love with a terriswoman? What if for some convoluted reason, she was a feruchemist and then got spiked to give demoux atium feruchemy?

Maybe she was dying and was like "hey, I can give my love part of myself. It might as well be something that will benefit him... I know!!!! My atium powers :). Then he'll be able to help Sazed for a very long time and always have a part of me with him. It's win-win (for me and Sazed at least, don't know how my love will take to having a constant reminder of me after I'm gone... oh well ;))"

EDIT: and sazed can use his godlike powers :) to give as much atium as is needed. (and it'd be like cutting out a tumor, since atium is part of ruin... this situation is a true win-win... maybe)

Edited by Lantern13

He fell in love with a terriswoman? What if for some convoluted reason, she was a feruchemist and then got spiked to give demoux atium feruchemy?

Maybe she was dying and was like "hey, I can give my love part of myself. It might as well be something that will benefit him... I know!!!! My atium powers :). Then he'll be able to help Sazed for a very long time and always have a part of me with him. It's win-win (for me and Sazed at least, don't know how my love will take to having a constant reminder of me after I'm gone... oh well ;))"

EDIT: and sazed can use his godlike powers :) to give as much atium as is needed. (and it'd be like cutting out a tumor, since atium is part of ruin... this situation is a true win-win... maybe)

This is a good idea. Another possibility is Sazed just gave him an atium Feruchemy spike. Several of the Inquisitors had one for unknown reasons, that's where Marsh got his. Since Sazed was somehow able to save all the Inquisitor spikes and make them into earrings (using kandra) I think he could easily have gotten one to Demoux.

I believe that makes the most sense for Demoux's immortality. Marsh has a Feruchemical atium spike from an old inquisitor, it makes sense that Demoux would too.

It is also possible that Harmony fueled his immortality. Brandon has talked about how either Ruin or Preservation could fuel any of the Metallic arts, so maybe Harmony has been fueling him with a atium de-age every so often.

Or maybe it has to do with Hoid's time dilation technique.

But I believe that from Occam's Razor, the Feruchemical Spike from a former Inquisitor makes the most sense. Plus, that way, Harmony can communications in the Seventeenth Shard (since he can read MINDS! But maybe that's just because Wax is a allomancer, a feruchemist, a hemalurgist, believes in his shard, and there's mists around. Maybe being without the mists makes it not possible for Harmony to read minds).

Shouldn't Sazed be able to just give him Atium feruchemy by fiat? After all, he made Spook into a Mistborn.

Of course he can.... but it just feels rather cheap (and it isn't good story telling imo)

I'm of the opinion his longevity is probably not a product of the metalic arts

I got an idea – it may be Demoux, but not that one from the trilogy. Think about Demoux junior (I bet there was one), recruited when he was somewhere between 15 or, say, 18. No wife, maybe even no girlfriend. And, more, important, a resonably high probability of being Atium twinborn, or even more.

Considering that all we're told is his last name...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, guys. What kind of promise would Demoux make that would have the potential to actually keep him around forever?

First of all, it would have to be some kind of promise with someone who can grant immortality or some other kind of magical power.

Now, answer me this: who does Demoux love even more than his wife? That's right; Kelsier, the Survivor.

We know from Marsh that Kelsier's still doing mischief via the spiritual realm at the end of Alloy of Law, which timeline-wise is, I think, at least close to WoK.

I think Demoux is doing Kelsier's work as the prophet of his religion and the physical hand of his will.

I like the idea of Kels being actively involved in his world still, but I get the feeling that 17th shard is much larger than Sazed or anyone we really know.

Also, the Ars Arcanum at the end of AoL made it pretty clear, imo, that the Spirit web can be manipulated through many different means. I don't know why different worlds favor different methods, but I find the most plausible explanation, and probably the most effective means of producing immortality, would be through a variety/combination of Cosmere magic systems.

At this point in time, I see no reason to believe that a Shard holder could not still find new ways of bestowing investiture powers on people, possibly rendering a person immortal without any need of additional mechanics.

• 2 months later...

Interesting. When putting the Google + Hangout in the Database, I found something interesting.

GABRIEL

How did the whole cosmere come about?

BRANDON SANDERSON

<snip>

The problem with that is I grew up reading the big epics and I love big epics and they are the books of my heart, like the Wheel of Time. I wanted to write big epics and so I started writing a secret big epic. It started with Elantris, which is the first one that I wrote in the Cosmere and right after it Dragonsteel, which is actually a prequel but in a different universe. I started putting characters from each of these books in the other books to have what I call a hidden epic, mostly for myself, because I had all these books I was going to be selling and marketing separately.

Source

(emphasis added)

I don't know if he meant that or not, but this could mean that there is an Elantrian character (whether Galladon or someone else) in Warbreaker or Mistborn.

Interesting. When putting the Google + Hangout in the Database, I found something interesting.

I don't know if he meant that or not, but this could mean that there is an Elantrian character (whether Galladon or someone else) in Warbreaker or Mistborn.

*boom* Sound of midn blowing up! Though, a simple explanation would of course be Hoid and since Dragonsteel is at least in part Hoid's story, that would explain the hidden epic part.

Brandon told Josh and me when he was first telling us about 17s that there are characters in the books (at that time, WoKs wasn't out) that are from other planets, but you wouldn't know it unless you saw the book from their point of view. So there are supposed to be a few different hidden characters, we just won't always be able to see them.