theory: Galladon in WoK

Zas678

Brandon Interview Spoilers:

He says that we've already seen a magic system being used in a different world than where it comes from....  My guess is this is it.

I think they are disguising themselves with aons, or not Elantians.  The Elantrian transformation is tied to the city aon, but it does not weaken like their powers do.  If they are cut off from it completely, or the Elantris is damaged, they turn into leper style elantrians as evidenced in the old man.

As for the aons, look at it this way:  Aon Tia did not lose power as it was carrying raoden to teod, it carried him all the way.  But then he could not use it to get back.  I think it's the vicitinity to elantris when the aon is cast that matters.  They could attach the illusion aon to their clothing, travel to Roshar, and still use it.

That may be totally possible,we have however confirmed that Hoid does lightweaving in both Warbreaker and Way of Kings.  That to me is the obvious one that he wants us to catch. There maybe others that we haven't caught or noticed because of lack of other books.

That may be totally possible,we have however confirmed that Hoid does lightweaving in both Warbreaker and Way of Kings.

Lightweaving? What is that? (I assume it has something to do with Hoid's amazing storytelling abilities)

I also picked up on the "kayana" reference in TWG thanks to Munin, and I agreed fully, but is there any hard evidence to link Selians (occupants of Sel *I thought it sounded cool*) to those strangers talking to Elhokar in the prologue.

That may be totally possible,we have however confirmed that Hoid does lightweaving in both Warbreaker and Way of Kings.

Lightweaving? What is that? (I assume it has something to do with Hoid's amazing storytelling abilities)

I think it's from Dragonsteel.

I also picked up on the "kayana" reference in TWG thanks to Munin, and I agreed fully, but is there any hard evidence to link Selians (occupants of Sel *I thought it sounded cool*) to those strangers talking to Elhokar in the prologue.

Not that I know of. At this point, I'd put that as a possibility, but there's only a vague physical resemblance, so I'm not gonna read into it at all.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm super late to the game, but it doesn't seem like anyone has considered that they might not be using AonDor. Isn't it just as likely, if they are working for a source higher up on the Adonalsium food chain (for lack of a better analogy), that any disguises they wear or magic they use has been lent to them by the person they are working for?

Found this question via Suduvu's Comic Con question site. Could this explain all?

If an Elantrian tattooed another Elantrian with the Aon Rao, would the Elantrian with the tattoo be of equal power, no matter where he went, to Elantrians close to the city of Elantris?

Good question in my opinion and perhaps RAFO'd? If it is i would imagine thats a good indicator that it's possible whether thats what these Selians did.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I think that these people being from Sel is the most likely, due to Munin's posts. But I don't think we can say this is correct 100%. Elantris is like a transistor which transforms the Dor into something that can be controlled by the Aon's. While the Dor can be found everywhere in the Cosmere (i believe), the power which the Aon's use are affected by the distance from Elantris. For this reason, it is possible they're not from Sel, unless they have found another way of travelling without relying heavily on Aons.

I don't remember an exact quote, but didn't Brandon say that the Dor was NOT uniform in the Cosmere? I thought that was why there was the theorizing that the Dor is a power living in the Cognitive realm, and why you would not want to go to Shadesmar while on Sel.

I don't remember an exact quote, but didn't Brandon say that the Dor was NOT uniform in the Cosmere? I thought that was why there was the theorizing that the Dor is a power living in the Cognitive realm, and why you would not want to go to Shadesmar while on Sel.

Brandon didn't quite confirm that that Dor was specific to Sel, though I think his words strongly implied it.

zas678 had a theory that there was a universal "power of creation" separate from Shard powers, that it was what fueled both allomancy and AonDor, and that this universal power was in fact the Dor. But when Brandon was asked if the Dor was the same "power of creation" that fueled allomancy, he said it wasn't. He said it was similiar, but different.

This seems to be in line with the main theory opposing zas678's, which was that there was no universal "power of creation," that the powers of the Shards were the power of creation, and that the Dor was thus related to one or more Shards on Sel. This would fit in with Brandon saying that the Dor was similiar but different to that which powers allomancy.

But technically speaking, Brandon never confirmed that the Dor was Shard or world specific. He just said that it wasn't the same thing as what fueled allomancy. It's always possible that none of our theories were right, that the Dor is neither a universal power of creation or a Shard power. Or it's possible that zas678 was right about their being a universal power of creation, but wrong about allomancy using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe most of this theory, but I have a problem believing it's Raoden and Galladon. After all, in the timeline of the cosmere, there is a significant gap (I think Brandon mentioned hundreds of years?) between each series. I suppose it's possible that Elantrians are essentially immortal, but I'm not so sure they'd want to be hanging around for such a long time, especially when the rest of their families are not immortal.

Why didn't they ask if Raoden was the guy with him?

Time constraint probably. When I spoke to Josh and Mi'ch about this, they were under the impression that Raoden was not the person with Galladon, but I didn't get that from the audio.

So if you're currenly espousing this, stop it, because it's not a theory anymore, it's a fact. :P

Yep, you guys got it. I'm surprised he came out and just said it like that.

I mean, it wasn't a bad theory. That he was a Dula was just about certain, and it certainly fit. It just seemed to much to say that we knew. But now we know. And it's kind of cool, although it raises a lot more questions than it answer.

Which, come to think of it, is probably why he answered it so directly.

I can explain a bit about Reoden, and the flat out answering.

In the past he has refused to answer (driving me crazy). So, while we were getting our books signed I asked for a final definite answer, with the logic everyone uses, and he started to evade the question but then decided to just say yes. I of course asked about Reoden, and he said that it wasn't him. Then when we had the audio recorder on I re-asked the question, and due to time I didn't ask the second half.

Edited by firstRainbowRose
Fixing text to be less confusing for later citing

this could also help us with the timeine of the cosmere. if Galladon is on Roshar during WoK then it can't be much long after Elantris! This could mean that every cosmere book thus far takes place in a period of 20-30 years...

But then I just realized that if Hoid was at the Shattering then he must have some way to stop or slow the aging process so if Galladon is now a full fledged world hopper he most likely has the same ability. so there goes that theory :P

this could also help us with the timeine of the cosmere. if Galladon is on Roshar during WoK then it can't be much long after Elantris! This could mean that every cosmere book thus far takes place in a period of 20-30 years...

But then I just realized that if Hoid was at the Shattering then he must have some way to stop or slow the aging process so if Galladon is now a full fledged world hopper he most likely has the same ability. so there goes that theory :P

Plus Elantrians are said to be practically immortal (at least if they heal themselves when they notice problems with their bodies) anyways. Galladon's father could have lived much longer, but purposely chose not to heal his heart issue for reasons I can't remember.

I believe (though I can't remember the source) that it was stated that Alloy of Law takes place close to the same time as Way of Kings. And Alloy of Law is 340 or so years after the Mistborn trilogy, which is after Elantris.

That makes more sense that it would be the Elantrian characteristic that slows his aging rather than some trick he learned from Hoid, I had totally forgotten that Elantrians were virtually immortal, guess it's time for a reread.

Also Hoid teaching them to stop aging wouldn't make as much sense either because IIRC they were on the look out for Hoid when they were on Roshar. I'm lending my copy of WoK so I can't check if thats right though.

Edited by SOM1else

I can explain a bit about Reoden, and the flat out answering.

In the past he has refused to answer (driving me crazy). So, while we were getting our books signed I asked for a final definite answer, with the logic everyone uses, and he started to evade the question but then decided to just say yes. I of course asked about Reoden, and he said that it was a different Elantrian. Then when we had the audio recorder on I re-asked the question, and due to time I didn't ask the second half.

You should have asked the second half on record, because I'm positive he would not say there was more than one Elantrian in the interlude. I know exactly who the three people are.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom