Ink

Max noticed the old beggar speaking names and gettin drunk, and was just ignoring him when he heard the exchange:

“Who’s this one to?”

“The last person I killed this week.”

A pause. And then, “Mara.”

Surely it was a coincidence. Surely he didn’t mean Max’s sister. That would’ve been absurd. Max resumed his conversation with Althea.

"Mara huh?" The young bartender asked

"Yeah"

"That's that girl who died in the duel? How did you kill her?"

"If it wasn't for me, that girl would never have been in that duel in the first place. She'd have been in a nice, comfy home with nice parents."

The Bartender stayed silent.

"Is it the spren's fault when a dust bringer kills with the surge of division?" He asked

"No" Devaan replied

"Then why is it your fault that Mara died?"

"Because if the spren wasn't there, the dust bringer would have killed anyway"

"If I didn't know the girl, she'd still be alive"

The bartender stayed silent.

Althea repaired the glass and waved at a bartender to refill it. She was silent for a while, thinking about Max's words.

"It's good that you're afraid. It means you know that there's a danger, a problem. And without that you can't try to solve it."
she then said quietly, hoping she would find the right words. Storms, she was bad at comforting people.
"I'm not sure about the whole loosing control part, but in the there is no gurantee for anything - "
she stopped herself. That part hadn't been helpfull.
"I think as long as you know who you are, and are sure of yourself, you won't loose yourself. I'm not sure if that counts for rioting as well, but everytime I go to Shadesmar I am tempted to stay there, to never go back to this world and face what's happening here. In the end, knowing who I am serves me as a tether."

"But, as long as you don't feel comfortable controlling them, you shouldn't do it. Maybe you could ask for a transfer? We have enough to do at the laboratories and you could claim you want to learn something about of creations."
Smiling at him she added.
"And despite what everybody believes, we have lots of stuff, that isn't spiked. If you want to, I could support that request, give you some time to sort yourself out without pressure from another direction."

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Sorry for the late reply. Had to retype all of this because it got deleted the first time. 

Max looked down, and screamed thinking. She was trying hard to comfort him. He appreciated it deeply. “I.. I would really like that, actually.” He took a deep breath and looked up, meeting her eyes squarely, keeping his voice level.

“But I doubt it could happen. You know Lusk? The idiot at the Ball? Well, after that he got promoted. Council Member. Apparently he killed the last guy in a duel or something, anyway, he’s obsessed with my skills.

“He came to Mara’s funeral. You know what he said to me, the day my sister died? ‘You’re promoted.’ I swear, I’m going to kill him one day. Not even metaphorically, literally. He won’t even see it coming. All he’ll see is a shadow behind him and boom, snapped neck. Won’t it be satisfying? Just watching his head dislocate from his body, the pleasant ‘snap’ the broken bones, ooh, it’ll be fun, won’t it? Maybe I’ll keep him alive, make the pain last. You know a broken femur is one of the most painful things to break? Maybe I’ll start with that. It’ll be great, it’ll be, it’ll be...”

Max trailed off as he realized what he was saying. Oh, no. Who else in the restaurant had heard that?

“I’m so sorry,” he said as he drank all his water in one go and stabbed everyone in sight violently tried to block out the voices. The screams.

“I’m not myself. I doubt I’ll ever be. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have to be like this, I feel like killing people can’t control what I think. I..” A thought sprung in his head. A crazy one.

“What do you think of the Nightwatcher?”

His train of thought was interrupted as he heard the old man, once again talking about a Mara he killed. The one in the duel. The same Mara. He claimed if he never knew Mara she wouldn’t die.

“Excuse me for interrupting,” turning to the table with the beggar and the waiter. “But that was my sister you’re talking about.” He chuckled hostilely. He was not ok. “And I doubt you had a thing with her death. So just enjoy your drink, ok? And maybe don’t claim responsibility for doing something you didn’t do in front of someone who did.” He looked to the waiter. “How many drinks has he had?”

“Thirty.”

“That’ll explain it.”

@Sorana

@Nohadon

Althea looked at Max.

"I can try to find a way for you to transfer. Lusk isn't the only one at the Council. He wants power, we could use that."

She thought awhile about his other question.

"I'm not sure if the Nightwatcher can solve your problem. I always felt like he created more problems than he solved. But if you really want to try that path, at leastlet me go  with you? You never know what price you will have to pay."

When he turned to the other table she moved her chair backwards, readied herself to act.

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Max turned back to Althea. He was still surprised how much she was trying to help him. From insanity to Lusk to the Nightwatcher, she was helping him, and Max didn’t know why. Perhaps she was just kind. Such people were few and far between these days.

“You’re right about Lusk,” he said. “If we can overule him, I would like to do so and break his bones while we’re at it.. You’re support would be heavily appreciated.” He focuses on the other answer. The Nightwatcher. She’d requested to go with him?

“I’ve heard the Nightwatcher is dangerous, but the things in my head are growing louder day by day, and if I snap, I might be more of a danger.” He looked at her.

“But you going with me? You’d want me to meet the Nightwatcher? Why would you risk yourself for that?” He looked at her closer, looked at those red eyes of hers.

“Unless,” He said, slowly. “You’re thinking of making a wish yourself?”

@Sorana

Edited by I think I am here.
Formatting issues.

"A wish?"

Althea repeated surprised.

"No. I don't think it would be worth the cost and risk, although there are many things I would like to change."

She smiled at him.

"I simply thought you might need help afterwards. I'm sorry, I don't want to impose myself on you."

She fell silent, looked at her hands.

"I know what it means to be alone, with no one around to lean on. The outcast freak everybody shuns. So, if I can help you, I am here. Nothing more, no second thoughts."

Looking up she answered his glance with a grin.

"And Lusk is a... complicated and hard to like person."

There that had been diplomatically phrased. It had taken them so long and he simply threw the poor thing in the middle of a ball for their guests to kill. If he at least had someone take some notes to learn something.

@I think I am here.

Max laughed, and for a fraction of a second he wasn’t insane. “I’m glad we can agree on that,” he said, finally.

Max leaned forward in his seat. “And hey, I don’t think you’re an outcast freak. You’re pretty cool, actually. People just need to get to know you, beyond the eyes.”

He smiled.

“So we’re in this together, then? Woah, that’s... that’s awesome! But thank you. Without this, I don’t where I would be right now. Probably going insane.” He laughed.

Edit: going to sleep now. G’night.

@Sorana

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

“Excuse me for interrupting,” turning to the table with the beggar and the waiter. “But that was my sister you’re talking about.” He chuckled hostilely. He was not ok. “And I doubt you had a thing with her death. So just enjoy your drink, ok? And maybe don’t claim responsibility for doing something you didn’t do in front of someone who did.” He looked to the waiter. “How many drinks has he had?”

Oh Max.

"The nightwatcher's woods ain't a place for a boy, especially not one as soft as a ghostblood" Devaan said drunkenly, lost in the haze of intoxication.

Devaan tapped health but didn't drop the act.

"So. Boy. Why you want to go there?"

49 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Max laughed, and for a fraction of a second he wasn’t insane. “I’m glad we can agree on that,” he said, finally.

Max leaned forward in his seat. “And hey, I don’t think you’re an outcast freak. You’re pretty cool, actually. People just need to get to know you, beyond the eyes.”

He smiled.

“So we’re in this together, then? Woah, that’s... that’s awesome! But thank you. Without this, I don’t where I would be right now. Probably going insane.” He laughed.

@Sorana

If you were to wait until tommorow, there will be a much better solution, one that doesn't involve a bane. You will see.

Althea nodded.
"If you are sure about this, yes we are."
She smiled at him, unsure what to reply to his comment about her being cool. Now she only had to make sure that he didn't die nor succumb to his insanity completely.

Hearing the words of the drunken beggar she turned her eyes towards him, suspicion creeping up her spine. They had talked about their assignments, but had they mentioned where they belonged to? She wasn't entirely sure about that. But still, his question had merrit. She stayed where she was, poised to act and waited for May to reply.

@I think I am here.

8 hours ago, Nohadon said:

Oh Max.

"The nightwatcher's woods ain't a place for a boy, especially not one as soft as a ghostblood" Devaan said drunkenly, lost in the haze of intoxication.

Devaan tapped health but didn't drop the act.

"So. Boy. Why you want to go there?"

Max’s turned back to the beggar. How had the rusting man afforded to eat here if he was so poor?

“Someone as soft as a Ghostblood?” Max looked the beggar. “So then tell me, Mr. Beggar, what would you consider ‘not soft’? Looking at your age, you probably saw the Seven Day War? What’s were you doing during that, huh? Biting your nails in a safe bunker while the Ghostbloods fought?”

He considered the other question, and internally debated whether she should tell the man. After all, rumours spread, and worse way to start off than with a beggar?

“Personal reasons,” he said quickly. “Personal reasons. And hey, to get you away, I’m going to do you a favour.” He turned to the waiter by the beggar’s table. “I’ll pay for whatever drinks he had since he probably couldn’t afford it anyway. “He reached his pocket for money and came up with a small slip of paper. A note was written on it.

Meet me at the Canton. Master Sheonar’s handwriting. Max sat down, forgetting about what he’d said to the bartender. “Huh.”

@Nohadon

7 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Meet me at the Canton. Master Sheonar’s handwriting. Max sat down, forgetting about what he’d said to the bartender. “Huh.”

"I guess this is important?"

She asked and drank some more water.

A boy walked over and handed her a piece of paper. Reading it she folded it and put it away. It would have to wait.

Edited by Sorana

8 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Someone as soft as a Ghostblood?” Max looked the beggar. “So then tell me, Mr. Beggar, what would you consider ‘not soft’? Looking at your age, you probably saw the Seven Day War? What’s were you doing during that, huh? Biting your nails in a safe bunker while the Ghostbloods fought?”

Devaan smirked as Max spoke. "Fight'n Kill'n and survive'n" he muttered

"You ever fought a stranger, boy? what about kollosal? a chaos marine? You wouldn't last four seconds against any of em, not even with those fancy nicrocil bands you have"

8 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Personal reasons,” he said quickly. “Personal reasons. And hey, to get you away, I’m going to do you a favour.” He turned to the waiter by the beggar’s table. “I’ll pay for whatever drinks he had since he probably couldn’t afford it anyway. “He reached his pocket for money and came up with a small slip of paper. A note was written on it.

"Actually he's already payed" The waiter told Max

Devaan let out a cackle "A quick hand slipped a note in, eh?" 

"Whats't say?" Devaan quickly appeared behind Max. "ooooh! the canton! you been summoned there or somethn'? I think you have I do! I best be goin" Devaan stumbled out of the DIDGERIDOO and tapped his nicrocil ring and teleported to the canton, dropping his disguise when he got there.

Edited by Nohadon

Max's response was cold and quiet.

"I don't need to be able to fight abominations if I can control them."

He wasn't able to get another response in before the old man left. Rust. Max turned to Althea.

"It's sort of important, I guess. Master Sheonar wants me to come to the Canton, to 'talk'. Do you think he knows? How do you think he'll react?"

@Sorana

Althea thought about his question before she carefully answered:

"I don't know Master Sheonar in person. So I can't tell you how he will react. But if you are important to him he will try to help you."

She thought back to what happened outside the Alleycity.

"Yes I think he knows. Judging from his face and everything when you two met outside Alleycity, he at least knows that something's wrong. Maybe not the whole extent, but he knows you're not well. That he wants to talk, shows that he cares."

Smiling at Max she added:

"And that you ask me how he will react shows that you care a lot about his opinion. I don't think you should miss this oppotunity. The Nightwatcher will wait, and if we find a way without his boon, I personally would try that. Maybe Master Sheonar can help."

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Standing up, Max nodded. "You're right. Yeah. He probably wants to help."

The waiter came over to collect the bill but one he realised all they'd had was water he backed off, quietly shaking his head.

As Max stood up, stretched, and pushed in his chair, he froze midway. "I should get a cape," he said. "A cape would look cool, right? Especially now that I'm permanently in this armour. Hmm, yes. I need a cape."

With that, Max ran off, waving bye to Althea and making his way to the Canton.

• 2 weeks later...

Ambrosia stood outside the door, remembering when she has last been there.

I attacked the bartender and tried to kill everyone in the room...

She brushed off the violet dress she was wearing, to match the violet of her two eyes. To match the brown one, she had a brown sweater over it.

She pushed open the door, then sat down and contacted Silas to tell him she was ready.

@JacobClaessen @JacobClaessen @JacobClaessen

Edited by Badadah
Typo

Ambrosia felt a twinge, which got worse. The voice screamed in her head, telling her to come. She needed to come. Her arm was actually glowing with a now white Ghostblood symbol.

"Sorry, Silas, we need to cut this short. I'll contact you to for another time," She said, pulling out her gemheart and teleporting away.

@JacobClaessen

• 1 month later...