How do the Shards relate to the various religions of the Cosmere?

Fanghur Rahl

35 minutes ago, Nothing-Ridiculous said:

what’s say Autonomy can only send one avatar after Harmony

Nothing. So far, assuming Trell is Autonomy though, one is all we've been shown. If my idea on how Avatars work is correct, I could see potential issues with multiple attempting to wield their powers within the same sphere of influence... But that's that's a rabbit hole I'm not interested in digging into until we get more info. 

1 hour ago, Nothing-Ridiculous said:

or that avatars are permanent if they are splinters could Autonomy recover the power from one like picking up a shard?

Again, we just don't know enough. If avatars are just Splinters, then yes, the power could be reabsorbed and the personality of the individual killed (so long as the intent allowed it), but if they are more in line with what I think then reintegration would also run into issues. Reassembly a mind into a cohesive whole after the parts have grown and changed seems problematic. 

Again though, I have to reiterate, anything to do with Avatars is speculation. All we know of them is the word. 

Well, I think it’s also fairly safe to assume that whatever they are they aren’t just Splinters or Slivers, otherwise I don’t think that Brandon would’ve made up a completely new word for it; not unless he is deliberately trying to screw with us anyway. Then again, as Chaos said on the podcast, just using the word ‘avatar’ in this context doesn’t make much sense anyway, so who knows?

On 9/2/2018 at 1:17 PM, Fanghur Rahl said:

Well Brandon has implied that Dominion managed to take a part of Odium down with him before getting splintered, so I think that description is probably pretty accurate.

Are you referring to this WoB?  Because other than a reference to Dominion "going down swinging," I don't recall ever seeing that Dominion took down a part of Odium.  

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Are you referring to this WoB?  Because other than a reference to Dominion "going down swinging," I don't recall ever seeing that Dominion took down a part of Odium.  

That’s what I meant; the implication clearly seemed to be that Dominion managed to ‘wound’ Odium in some way prior to his death. 

• Chaos locked this topic