What You Don't Like About Your Country

Draginon

Seeing as the fan base is international I'm sure we each have something about our countries that we dislike or don't get why it's a thing. You can also include your state, province, department, administrative district, etc... if you want.

Here's mine:

I don't get why Texas makes a big deal over high school football. I thought of this because there was a radio ad for a high school football game and all I could think was "Why would anyone care about that unless you're a parent of a student at that game?"

I don't like the way the country treats sports as a whole as more important than anything (in other countries the highest paid job is something important like education, police, firefighter but in about 45 states a sports coach is the highest paid job)

I don't like how so many here refuse to leave their state at all. You have no idea how many Texans I've met were proud of that and acting like the other states are foreign nations. Considering I live in the Dallas area, which is close to Oklahoma and Louisiana, that's saying something since it would be like someone in Copenhagen being proud of never visiting any other European nation.

I don't like how right now people just don't like the 'straw ban' since I'm someone who never really liked using straws when I'm sitting, I only like them when I'm on the move or in the car.

I don't like the superiority complex the whole country has since I don't think we're the greatest nation at all.

1 hour ago, mattig89ch said:

Interesting topic idea!  I have a few dislikes myself, but I'm a little worried to state them.  They are kinda hot button topics, and I don't want to put anyone off.

So, can I post these topics?  Maybe in a spoiler or something?

Just say them. We all like to pretend we're level headed adults here! That way, someone can say that stupid "only on this forum can we talk about controversial topics civilly" that crops up to pat ourselves on the back even though no such discussion ever takes place. 

And with that, I'll start: Americans like to take credit for things they were minimally involved in and virtues they don't possess. 

Well...ok then.  Don't say I didn't warn you all.  I'm still going to put them in spoiler tags, just in case.

Spoiler

My biggest gripe at the moment is how willing people are willing to give up their rights to feel safe.  Not just their right to bear arms, though that too.  I mean how they're willing to allow companies to control what they can see.  It really bothers me.  I'm metting with congressional reps to try and stop this from happening.  And most just shrug and say 'we lost already'.  But I'm like 'we can still do this!'.  It also bothers me how people just shout eachother down instead of listening.  Saying someone's opinions aren't valid simply because they disagree with them.

Also, it bothers me how people just blame inanimate objects for crimes.  yes, I'm referring to guns.  By that same logic, pens cause misspellings.  Its the inanimate objects fault, not the person using it.  And every time I dig into the data, I see that guns do so much more good then harm when wielded by the average citizen.  But all the media reports on, are the mass shootings.  So much so, that alot of people think thats the only thing guns do.  But I see the data that shows the exact opposite.  Hell, there's even a site dedicated to showing the pure data.  Not altered or changed in any way.  And that data shows the same thing.  (crime research dot org btw).

Stuff I don’t like about Sweden (some are not very serious):

Spoiler

I think that there are opinions you really can’t have in public without everyone assuming that you are a douchebag. Things like being against abortion for example. If you state that you are pro-life, some people will think that you are against womens rights and will compare your views to the Handmaids Tale. This makes it hard to have a sensible discussion at times.

We live next to Denmark. And Norway.

Swedes love making sure that everything is safe for everyone, and works for everyone. This is great most of the time, but can lead to that some things never gets done, or incredibly wierd regulations on stuff that one cares about.

Everyone loves coffee. 

We have a great music competition called Melodifestivalen. I love it, but most Swedes hate it. They watch anyway though, for some reason. 

Brandon Sanderson never comes here. 

Movies release on Blu-Ray much later here than in the US. 

I think we are too secularized for our own good. 

I do want to say some positive things about Sweden though, because, after all, I love the country and I love living here:

We have a fantastic welfare system.

I’m proud that we took on as many refugees as we did. 

Most people are nice. 

Americans seems to think that we are wierd. 

We can make jokes about Norway and Denmark. Like the one I made above. 

I guess, ok, I live in America. It's nice to live here, but I wish people weren't so determined to get into arguments. My view we are all people living on the same planet and we all should work together. I genuinely hate getting into confrontation, it took me forever to pluck up the courage to join 17th Shard merely because I would have to interact with people! So now, here in America I feel everyone is arguing and mad at each other, so now, I don't bother socializing with anyone for fear of arguing. I just wish we could all get along, true you won't like everybody you meet, but you can be courteous and respectful. I think that is something America lost. You guys on 17th Shard are awesome though!! I'll let you all know when I figure out how to enter Shadesmar and worldhop and we can all have Cosmere adventures!! :rolleyes:

Edited by whattheHoid

I’m with you @whattheHoid. Us Americans are way too argument prone. I feel like it stems down to the fact that we try too hard not to have problems or accept our differences.

Like with racial equality and stuff. If people didn’t care, we wouldn’t have any issues. I’m a semite - my family immigrated in a few generations ago. Sure we look the same as anyone, but our family has a different backstory. A different history. Yet because of our skin color, no one doubts that we’re treated equally. Yes, I get that America enslaved people, but does Egypt make a big deal out of the Jews because they used to be slaves there? No.*

America needs to just chill. Everyone is just to eager to yell out “You’re being a meanie!” Guess what America, we’ve got freedom of speech and we shouldn’t be afraid to use it.

*If this statement feels like a crude comparison, I am sorry.

It's cool, @Silva. I have family that has not to long ago immigrated/emigrated? (I dunno the right word) to America. Some relatives of mine came to escape Castro, Stalin, and Hitler. So, I like to think I empathize/sympathize with other people with differing backgrounds. At the end of it all we really aren't at all different molecularly and as far as we know, we are the part of a chain of life on the only planet in the entire Universe that is capable of fostering life. I hold out hope that there is something out there, but if not, well how awesome are we all collectively to create such wonderful, sometimes terrible things! Medicine, Science, Philosophies! To create wonderful marvelous far off worlds with fantastical creatures, beings, magics (Sanderson, I'm looking at you)! We've created and destroyed gods! We've been on the Moon!  We have Curiosity on Mars! No matter where you are from, I think, we should all be proud that we as Earthlings have done so much in our relatively short life spans. This is why we collectively are awesome and sometimes differing ideas are a good thing, because without that we wouldn't be able to do things like chat on the Internet. So thanks fellow Earthlings!!

Honestly? I prefer arguing over violent action or civil war. 

I had a class in university that posited that the US had fewer inner violent conflicts in its history exactly because of the cultural of arguing. We literally fight each other with words, but because we do that, we feel that we don't need to fight each other with guns.

@whattheHoid very true! We've achieved a lot as a species, and it's quite amazing!

I live in New Zealand. We definitely don't make a big deal about high school sports the way America does, but we obsess over national sports. Particularly rugby. Some people practically worship the All Blacks, I don't understand.

We have a massive problem with binge drinking. I don't know about other places, but it's commonplace here to load up on alcohol for the weekend purely for the sake of getting absolutely plastered. Particularly university students, but adults too. Especially if there's a rugby game on that night.

Tall poppy syndrome is huuuge over here. Anyone who achieves too much or is too proud of their achievements gets cut down and criticised for being too full of themselves.

We're so far away from the rest of the world! Even flying to Australia takes five hours or so. It makes international travel difficult.

That said, it is a lovely country. Beautiful scenery - you've probably all seen it in movies. Great beaches, great native wildlife, great tourism and tramping and all that.

There's also the Kiwi "Number Eight Wire" mentality that we're quite proud of. Since we're so far away from everything else we've developed a "can-do" problem-solving attitude - if it's broken, fix it, or invent a solution, with whatever you can find lying around (Number 8 wire is a type of wire used for making fences on farms). There's been a lot of innovative inventions to come out of NZ as a result of this (e.g. the jet boat, the egg beater).

As a general stereotype, we have very deadpan sarcastic humour which, as someone with that kind of sense of humour, I appreciate a lot. We're also a very laid-back and casual society, which is pretty great from my point of view.

If New Zealand humor is anything like that show, er....Flight of the Concords? Than you guys have an excellent sense of humor with style! ;) Ofelia (my toddler) wants to travel to many places we point out on our world map and there are 3 places she wishes to travel by boat .. Madagascar, New Zealand, and Sri Lanka. The rest of the places are by airplane. So if you see to pale people, one red headed the other brown burning in the sun paddling on a boat, it's us taking the scenic route to your pretty island! Also isn't New Zealand where Middle Earth is too?

I checked Taika Waititi and it turns out I have seen quite a few of his films and enjoyed all the ones I have seen!! And thanks! I enjoy Ofelia's name too. I can't wait to see Middle Earth, New Zealand is one of many countries/islands that are on my Travel Bucket List, this also includes travelling to the cosmere and other universes that are hard to reach. Now I need to see Flight of the Concords again!

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2018 at 10:28 AM, Draginon said:

I don't like the superiority complex the whole country has since I don't think we're the greatest nation at all.

You would be right. Australia is the greatest nation of them all.

^^   The sun kills, though. It feels like poison.

I would love to go to Australia! Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to do so and I have seen a few nature shows about the various spiders that live there...frankly they terrify me. Some of them look as big as Shelob!

Edited by Ammanas

Actually, I feel like like in america, you're more likely to find an animal that will kill you.
I've only seen huge freaking scary spiders a few times, and they just sit in their web, doing nothing.
Actually, I did get swooped by territorially agressive birds yesterday.