Furamirionind

Sanderson's Leaher-bound books

13 posts in this topic

Just as a question, Sanderson's leather-bound books are real leather I assume and not foax-leather?

I really want to get the leather-bound versions, but I can't bring myself to if they are actually leather.  I know Paolini made the cover of his "Colecter's Edition" of Eragon foax-leather...

Edited by Furamirionind

I think that would be a question for Brandon's store manager. You can contact her here: https://brandonsanderson.com/contact/. As far as I'm aware, they are real leather, but I'm no leather expert.

I am anxiously awaiting my leather bound editions - i am about 6 weeks into my wait for my personalized copy of Elantris

Edited by Undead Wookiee

Whether or not its real leather, my Leatherbound TFE is the crown jewel of my bookshelf. I cannot recommend them enough, presuming you have the cash to spare.

17 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Whether or not its real leather, my Leatherbound TFE is the crown jewel of my bookshelf. I cannot recommend them enough, presuming you have the cash to spare.

… I appreciate your recommendation.  However, I cannot morally buy the skin of a dead creature.
I do not try to dissuade others from these things, however, I personally can't by a leather book (or leather shoes, or meat, etc...)

I REALLY want to buy it... which is why I am asking this.

I think that would be a question for Brandon's store manager. You can contact her here: https://brandonsanderson.com/contact/. As far as I'm aware, they are real leather, but I'm no leather expert.

I have contacted them, and hopefully don't have to wait too long for a reply... : )

Edited by Furamirionind

1 minute ago, Furamirionind said:

… I appreciate your recommendation.  However, I cannot morally buy the skin of a dead creature.
I do not try to dissuade others from these things, however, I personally can't by a leather book (or leather shoes, or meat, etc...)

Ah. I understand. you do you man/woman. I'm sure it is on Brandon's site somewhere, or just contact the store manager. Out of curiosity, what moral system do you follow?

11 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Ah. I understand. you do you man/woman. I'm sure it is on Brandon's site somewhere, or just contact the store manager. Out of curiosity, what moral system do you follow?

Umm... My own? I don't know... I believe that all animals (Dolphins, cows, humans, etc.) are alive, have brains, think, feel etc. 

So in my head, reading a book made with cow skin would be comparable to reading a book made with human skin.  High quality, but a bit disturbing.
(Also, I doubt the creatures dying to create these books had all too pleasant lives...)

What makes you believe that they are real leather? (unless of course you've confirmed that)

Also, thanks for the insight. I was merely wondering if it was some form of vegetarianism.

14 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

What makes you believe that they are real leather? (unless of course you've confirmed that)

Well, they are kind-of called "leather-bound" books... Most times when foax-leather is used (like the "Eragon Collector's Edition"), people are upfront about it because they want people like me to know it is foax, not real.  So I contacted them to double check they aren't just one of the (very) few who aren't upfront about it. Haven't gotten a reply yet, but I only sent something today.  I can't expect them to get back so fast.

14 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Also, thanks for the insight. I was merely wondering if it was some form of vegetarianism.

Nope!... Veganism : )

Edited by Furamirionind

But... Veganism is a more extreme subset of vegetarianism, unless I've been living a lie my whole life.

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

But... Veganism is a more extreme subset of vegetarianism, unless I've been living a lie my whole life.

you could (and I may) argue that vegetarianism is a less dedicated version of Veganism... (vegetarian used to mean no animal products at all... then it was changed to vegan.)

Edited by Furamirionind