Furamirionind

Sanderson's Leaher-bound books

13 posts in this topic

Just as a question, Sanderson's leather-bound books are real leather I assume and not foax-leather?

I really want to get the leather-bound versions, but I can't bring myself to if they are actually leather.  I know Paolini made the cover of his "Colecter's Edition" of Eragon foax-leather...

Edited by Furamirionind
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that would be a question for Brandon's store manager. You can contact her here: https://brandonsanderson.com/contact/. As far as I'm aware, they are real leather, but I'm no leather expert.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am anxiously awaiting my leather bound editions - i am about 6 weeks into my wait for my personalized copy of Elantris

Edited by Undead Wookiee
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether or not its real leather, my Leatherbound TFE is the crown jewel of my bookshelf. I cannot recommend them enough, presuming you have the cash to spare.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Whether or not its real leather, my Leatherbound TFE is the crown jewel of my bookshelf. I cannot recommend them enough, presuming you have the cash to spare.

… I appreciate your recommendation.  However, I cannot morally buy the skin of a dead creature.
I do not try to dissuade others from these things, however, I personally can't by a leather book (or leather shoes, or meat, etc...)

I REALLY want to buy it... which is why I am asking this.

Quote

I think that would be a question for Brandon's store manager. You can contact her here: https://brandonsanderson.com/contact/. As far as I'm aware, they are real leather, but I'm no leather expert.

I have contacted them, and hopefully don't have to wait too long for a reply... : )

Edited by Furamirionind
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Furamirionind said:

… I appreciate your recommendation.  However, I cannot morally buy the skin of a dead creature.
I do not try to dissuade others from these things, however, I personally can't by a leather book (or leather shoes, or meat, etc...)

Ah. I understand. you do you man/woman. I'm sure it is on Brandon's site somewhere, or just contact the store manager. Out of curiosity, what moral system do you follow?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Ah. I understand. you do you man/woman. I'm sure it is on Brandon's site somewhere, or just contact the store manager. Out of curiosity, what moral system do you follow?

Umm... My own? I don't know... I believe that all animals (Dolphins, cows, humans, etc.) are alive, have brains, think, feel etc. 

So in my head, reading a book made with cow skin would be comparable to reading a book made with human skin.  High quality, but a bit disturbing.
(Also, I doubt the creatures dying to create these books had all too pleasant lives...)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes you believe that they are real leather? (unless of course you've confirmed that)

Also, thanks for the insight. I was merely wondering if it was some form of vegetarianism.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

What makes you believe that they are real leather? (unless of course you've confirmed that)

Well, they are kind-of called "leather-bound" books... Most times when foax-leather is used (like the "Eragon Collector's Edition"), people are upfront about it because they want people like me to know it is foax, not real.  So I contacted them to double check they aren't just one of the (very) few who aren't upfront about it. Haven't gotten a reply yet, but I only sent something today.  I can't expect them to get back so fast.

14 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Also, thanks for the insight. I was merely wondering if it was some form of vegetarianism.

Nope!... Veganism : )

Edited by Furamirionind
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But... Veganism is a more extreme subset of vegetarianism, unless I've been living a lie my whole life.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

But... Veganism is a more extreme subset of vegetarianism, unless I've been living a lie my whole life.

you could (and I may) argue that vegetarianism is a less dedicated version of Veganism... (vegetarian used to mean no animal products at all... then it was changed to vegan.)

Edited by Furamirionind
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.