Listening to last week's Shardcast I had a pretty baseless theory on Vax.

Theory:

Vax is a planet* where a majority or at least large number of humans live in the Cognitive Realm. In Secret History, Ati, while confused, made a comment about Vax, which I believe is because he saw humans and also recognised that he was in the CR, leading him to assume he was probably on Vax because that's where you would expect to find people hanging out in the CR.

So a similar concept to Silverlight, except not entirely based in the Cognitive, and on a distinct planet**

*I'm taking Vax to be a planet as a base assumption, which it may or may not be (and Brandon has neither confirmed or denied), but is kind of integral to this entire theory.  

**I am unsure whether or not this is a contentious point or not but I don't believe Silverlight corresponds to a planet based on this WOB. 

Questioner

Obviously the world covers different planets, but most people on all the individual planets don't know about the other planets. Is there a planet within the cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge?

Brandon Sanderson

Is there a planet in the cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge. Um… it's not a planet.

Bystander

It's a space station? *laughter* That's no moon!

Brandon Sanderson

That's not as far off as people laughing think that it is. *laughter* It's not a space station, it's not that futuristic, but there is a place in the cosmere where a lot of worldhoppers have settled, is where Iyatil is from, even though her ethnicity is not from there.

Clarifying question… Is that place in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

*laughs* RAFO!

Footnote: Brandon has since confirmed that the worldhopper colony, named Silverlight, is located in the Cognitive Realm.
source

Poke, prod and spike away! 

My main issue with this idea, is to look like Vax' CR, Vax should be a place on Scadrial. 

At least by what we've been shown, CR's are pretty distinct on each planet. Even moreso in my opinion than the physical. 

You could be on Taldain's day side and think you're in the middle of a desert on another world (until you saw the giant bug/worm life), you could be on Nalthis and Scadrial and not see a physical difference... 

But if Roshar and Scadrial are examples, it seems like opening your eyes in the Cognitive announces where you are if you're familiar with them. 

53 minutes ago, Calderis said:

My main issue with this idea, is to look like Vax' CR, Vax should be a place on Scadrial. 

At least by what we've been shown, CR's are pretty distinct on each planet. Even moreso in my opinion than the physical. 

You could be on Taldain's day side and think you're in the middle of a desert on another world (until you saw the giant bug/worm life), you could be on Nalthis and Scadrial and not see a physical difference... 

But if Roshar and Scadrial are examples, it seems like opening your eyes in the Cognitive announces where you are if you're familiar with them. 

I could see this being a red herring, though.

As a side note, vax is a very mysterious place! I hadn't registered it before.

I think you're onto the right angle, though. What was Ati seeing at that exact moment? 

I'm assuming he's seeing at least these things: 

* Scadrial's misty Cognitive Realm

*Vin

*Elend

*Kelsier

Additionally he may have noticed:

* Sazed expanding to become everything

* That Kelsier has recently been weeping 

A much further reach could be him somehow perceiving that Kelsier is not a normal Cognitive Shadow. At an even bigger stretch, maybe he could in some way perceive Kelsier's previous dunking in Dor/Connection Juice. 

That all being said, I don't know exactly what to make of it, but it helps me to lay it out, at least.

Edited by Corax

20 hours ago, Calderis said:

I agree with you here - I also think that each worlds CR would look distinctive, but there are some overlapping features between Roshar and Scadrial. They both have the inverse solid/not solid ground with the physical realm, though this manifest's different on each world, and they both have the weird sun. There might be other things but those are the two I remember off the top of my head. 

I was very deliberately being vague with my wording on how he knew he was in the CR in my original post. :P 

20 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think that in this case you would be able to tell that you're in the CR, but you might not know which world you're currently on until you're eaten by a giant worm 

12 hours ago, Corax said:

I think you're onto the right angle, though. What was Ati seeing at that exact moment? 

I'm assuming he's seeing at least these things: 

* Scadrial's misty Cognitive Realm

*Vin

*Elend

*Kelsier

Additionally he may have noticed:

* Sazed expanding to become everything

* That Kelsier has recently been weeping 

A much further reach could be him somehow perceiving that Kelsier is not a normal Cognitive Shadow. At an even bigger stretch, maybe he could in some way perceive Kelsier's previous dunking in Dor/Connection Juice. 

That all being said, I don't know exactly what to make of it, but it helps me to lay it out, at least.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the 'Vax' line then I would firmly believe that Ati was too out of it to notice anything substantive. But the 'Vax' line obviously throws a spanner in that thought. 

2 hours ago, LadyLameness said:

To be honest, if it wasn't for the 'Vax' line then I would firmly believe that Ati was too out of it to notice anything substantive. But the 'Vax' line obviously throws a spanner in that thought. 

Maybe that's exactly it, though. Maybe he's not talking about what he's seeing, person or place. What if instead he's calling out to someone he trusts, depends on, or loves? What if he's calling out to someone who should be there?

9 minutes ago, Corax said:

Maybe that's exactly it, though. Maybe he's not talking about what he's seeing, person or place. What if instead he's calling out to someone he trusts, depends on, or loves? What if he's calling out to someone who should be there?

He's not calling out to someone/something, though. He's asking a question because he's confused. At least, that's how I read it.

16 hours ago, Corax said:

I'm pretty firmly in the 'Vax is a planet' camp from the mentions we've had of it so far, but if turned out that Vax was a person then I agree with your thinking. 

When Vax is mentioned in the AA it seems to imply it is a planet, but with that WOB there's something off here. What if it's a place caught in a weird spot of space that puts it on all three realms at once, meaning it could be anything from a country to a planet or even a location from the Cognitive or Spiritual realms that somehow got pulled into the Physical, which would technically not be a planet in the traditional sense.

Yeah, exactly. I don't know if I could be counted as being firmly in either camp. Vax could be a comet or strange traveling Realmatic phenomenon for all I know. Heck, given that this is fantasy, Vax could be a person and a planet at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Corax said:

Yeah, exactly. I don't know if I could be counted as being firmly in either camp. Vax could be a comet or strange traveling Realmatic phenomenon for all I know. Heck, given that this is fantasy, Vax could be a person and a planet at the same time. 

XD Reading that last part I had the mental image of someone saying they live in Vax's Crack! In a serious tone if we go that route maybe Vax is similar to Ego from Marvel since he's both. Maybe to explain it there could be an investiture from Vax that 'fuses' the residents with stuff from the planet and Vax just happened to fuse with the planet itself.

• Chaos locked this topic