Glaedr Firnen

What Radiant Order is Adolin? [OB]

41 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

True but not really relevant. Which order you end up as is based on your general personality and which spren it attracts to you, not your personal preferences on powers.

I'm not so sure about that. Honour spren aren't likely to be attracted to someone who doesn't like flying. And the otherway round there was the implication that some things (inclding how to use the powers instinctively) come from the spren. Kaladin and in his own way Lopen both go on about loving the skies and wanting to fly.

I rather suspect that if he were bonding an Honour or High spren he's be happier about flying. If only because the instincts that were being installed by the process would make it feel natural.

I rather suspect that if he were bonding an Honour or High spren he's be happier about flying. If only because the instincts that were being installed by the process would make it feel natural.

That wouldn’t be the case all the time. Kaladin and Lopen have never flown before they bonded, so it wouldn’t have  exactly felt natural to them. 

Spren are judges of character, and would most likely bond to someone with shared morals. The Ideals prove this because they are essentially moral keystones to the spren’s greater capabilities, and must have the bonded understand and share the values that the spren has. 

49 minutes ago, Dahak said:

I'm not so sure about that. Honour spren aren't likely to be attracted to someone who doesn't like flying. And the otherway round there was the implication that some things (inclding how to use the powers instinctively) come from the spren. Kaladin and in his own way Lopen both go on about loving the skies and wanting to fly.

About that... We should get proof on if your right soon enough. 

“I’m scared of heights,” Torfin added. “Flying up there is terrifying to me.”

If Torfin graduates from squire to Radiant, then Honorspren don't really care. 

5 hours ago, Calderis said:

@snoo I'm definitely with @CrazyRioterhere.

If Dalinar were an ascended shard, sure he could fix them. I can buy that. With Kaladin he wasn't able to recreate the perpendicularity. He was able to pull Stormlight through himself and supercharge Kaladin, and Kaladin only, and it exhausted him. That's not the same at all.

Yes he can forge bonds. And as shown with his ability to speak languages, they fade and need to be remade. A lasting Nahel bond between a spren and Radiant is something that can't be forced to happen. It needs to develop and be a choice. A forced bond is just a good way to make a spren break. 

Your argument sounds convincing. Maybe the above WoB's simply mean that Adolin will not revive its blade after all. 

I wouldn't say that. I think the WoBs indicate it's possible, just difficult, and I think Adolin and Maya might have got past the most difficult part. Which doesn't mean it'll be easy, but I do think it's very possible.

1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

I wouldn't say that. I think the WoBs indicate it's possible, just difficult, and I think Adolin and Maya might have got past the most difficult part. Which doesn't mean it'll be easy, but I do think it's very possible.

Same. She's already healing, so by everything I can see, the bond is already forming. 

This discussion has gone a lot farther than I intended it to go. I actually didn't know this much about investiture, nahel bonds, etc., and so I didn't want to get into that. However, everyone here has done a wonderful job explaining, and I actually have learned quite a bit! Thanks for all the input on this.

We do tend to get a bit in-depth here given half an excuse. ;)

On 9/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, CrazyRioter said:

Would be hilarious if she revives and decides he’s not the right personality/fit for her particular order and she bonds someone else.

”Thank you so much, but you’re just not right for me.” 

No, I don’t think this will happen.

1 minute ago, Child of Hodor said:

Would be hilarious if she revives and decides he’s not the right personality/fit for her particular order and she bonds someone else.

I think he is a good fit for the Edgedancers, and they are already bonding. I think that's the only reason she is showing signs of life.

2 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

Yep that would be hilarious but would be such an expected thing if it ever happens. It would look like a dating allegory(if i am using the right word) to a version of a story where one helps somebody on her breakup then after she is fine she doesn't reward the helper (kinda like how Syl-Kaladin looks like "dating what daddy hates" )

On 04/09/2018 at 3:04 AM, The Deity said:

That wouldn’t be the case all the time. Kaladin and Lopen have never flown before they bonded, so it wouldn’t have  exactly felt natural to them.

And yet the first time Kaladin flew it did feel natural to him. It was pretty much the best day of his life.

"Yes, this was natural. Yes, this was him."

"I could Lash myself upward, he thought, and fall into the sky forever.
But no, that was how an ordinary person thought. A skyeel didn’t fear falling, did it? A fish didn’t fear drowning.
Until he began thinking in a new way, he wouldn’t control this gift he had been given. And it was a gift. He would embrace this.
The sky was now his.
Kaladin shouted, dashing forward. He leaped and Lashed himself to the wall. No pausing, no hesitance, no fear. He hit at a dead run, and nearby, Syl laughed for joy."

"Fearless, he fell. This was his ocean to swim, his winds upon which to soar. He fell face-first toward the next plateau. Just before he arrived, he Lashed himself sideways and backward."

All from Words of Radience Chapter 52 Into the Sky

Lopen, how would we tell?

On 04/09/2018 at 3:47 AM, Calderis said:

About that... We should get proof on if your right soon enough. 

If Torfin graduates from squire to Radiant, then Honorspren don't really care. 

Or if he starts feeling natural about flying, that could imply you get it from the bond.

Torfin was one of the first members of Bridge 4 to open up to Kaladin along with Drehy back in the chasms. Then he's sort of there getting mentioned once after Kaladin recovers from the storm and not at all in Words of Radiance.

Since being terrified of flying is pretty much his only character trait other than feeling left out he makes a good test case. Of course unless he's already attracted a cryptic he probably can't use overcoming his fear of flying to become both a Lightweaver and a Windrunner simultaneously.

Of course I think every named bridgeman we know who got close to Adolin has become a squire or Windrunner, but there were some whose names weren't given (and we don't know he wasn't one of Adolin's backup) so he might find it easier to become Adolin's squire.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, Dahak said:

He doesn't enjoy flying.

He might if he could control it vs. being a package...

While I agree with most of what you guys are saying, I don't think that having Dalinars Bondsmith abilities play a part negates the need for all of the plot connections between Adolin and  his spren/sword, edgedancer oaths, etc. The WoB said that it would be VERY difficult to revive a dead spren, and it seems to be assumed as impossible by Syl and the others in world to revive a dead spren after the original knights death, so I don't think it would be a surprise if a long process with different things all coming together is necessary. Obviously Adolins connection with his spren/sword is important, but it might need Dalinar to do something that makes the "impossible" "possible" (such as altering her old bond to be able to form a new one if that is getting in the way of her completing the healing process). This isn't Dalinar just swooping in and fixing everything, rather him building a bridge that allows Adolin to bond her IF everything is done right, he swears oaths, etc.  
I try to avoid getting to specific in predictions of details because Brandon generally does more awesome things than I can think of,so my real opinion is that Dalinar will do something (I don't know what) to help Adolin heal his spren. (This is assuming that he has Adolin become a radiant/heal her)
p.s. This is officially my first post on the 17th shard :)

Personally, I imagine him as an edgedancer. However, my reasoning isn't logical or based in actual personality traits like you all have argued. I realize this isn't a good reason, but I just want to see him revive maya and be an edgedancer because that would mean he would have to be trained by the only other edgedancer, Lift. I just feel like seeing Lift train Adolin would be a fantastic dynamic. 

Beyond that little headcannon though: Personality-wise, I can see him as both an edgedancer or stoneward or willshaper for basically the same reasons you all have already listed.

I low key kinda like the idea of him never becoming a radiant though. Like among a crowd of magical people, it's nice to have a heroic type that mundane (well, just non-magical, not mundane in other senses) who is flawed and makes mistakes without being an embodiment of an ideal. Having a "normal" human among people who can do these somewhat superhuman things is a good grounding, I think. Having someone who has to figure stuff out and solve his problems with mundane methods can be cool, I think.

Even so, I do want to see him Radiant. I think he should be an edgedancer.

Because I mean, come on. Lift training Adolin. That would be great.

Adolin as an Edgedancer will be pretty Deevy.