The Long War

Grey Knight

To sum up the "setting"

The Black Crusade is in Newcago
They get attacked by the Death Guard, who make a camp outside the city
They ask for reinforces, and these reinforces camp outside the camp of the Death Guard.

Did I get that right?

=====================

Then I would propose that we write a short description about the different leader next. So that we have the decision makers and their characteristics together.

If we want the battle(s) to have a certain order, we should decide who fights whom and who wins which battle @Grey Knight. I think that's soething where you need to help a lot, because you know the background a lot better than the rest of us. Especially when it comes to the different warmachines, weapons, ... they used. When we have that we could write out the battles from different Povs (whatever we want to write). Everybody could take over a part and in the end we could put it together.

We could also think about smaller side stories that could have happend. That would give us the opportunity to flesh out the war more, because we have some scenes that took place, why the generals (or whatever their rank will be) discern what their soldiers will do. It also would offer everybody here to be creative and write a bit, without exploding the setting. In the end we could use these scenes as part of the greater story and simply add them in between the big battle scenes, to offer a background that focusses on different kinds of things.

What do you think?

Alright, sorry about the absence. School has been crazy the past few days, but I finally have some free time!

On 9/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, JacobClaessen said:

ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARDS! As in, THE CHAOS MARINES SHOULD TOTALLY HAVE ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARDS!!!!!!

Two words: No. :lol:

On 9/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Ark1002 said:

A force of hemalurgic constructs joining the Chaos Marines. I have a perfectly reasonable explanation for how they exist.

Alright. Sounds good. What's the "perfectly reasonable explanation"? 

On 9/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, Sorana said:

To sum up the "setting"

The Black Crusade is in Newcago
They get attacked by the Death Guard, who make a camp outside the city
They ask for reinforces, and these reinforces camp outside the camp of the Death Guard.

Did I get that right?

Yep. That's about what I was thinking.

Then I would propose that we write a short description about the different leader next. So that we have the decision makers and their characteristics together.

If we want the battle(s) to have a certain order, we should decide who fights whom and who wins which battle @Grey Knight. I think that's soething where you need to help a lot, because you know the background a lot better than the rest of us. Especially when it comes to the different warmachines, weapons, ... they used. When we have that we could write out the battles from different Povs (whatever we want to write). Everybody could take over a part and in the end we could put it together.

I like this. Especially with someone as powerful and tragic as Mortarion, the leaders really need to have a lot of flavor to them. It'll make connecting with the different armies easier (I hope :ph34r:).

We could also think about smaller side stories that could have happend. That would give us the opportunity to flesh out the war more, because we have some scenes that took place, why the generals (or whatever their rank will be) discern what their soldiers will do. It also would offer everybody here to be creative and write a bit, without exploding the setting. In the end we could use these scenes as part of the greater story and simply add them in between the big battle scenes, to offer a background that focusses on different kinds of things.

This is a great idea, and exactly what I wanted this project to end up being. There's so much story potential to be mined in the crossover between 40k and Sanderson- how would the normally xenophobic space marines react to casual use of magic and friendly non-humans? How does advanced warfare change when Investiture meets sci-fi tech?

This is totally something I would support.

The Slaughter of Spikes

The Winter Siege had gone on for months. The permeating cold of Newcago made it all harder. And cold steel? Cold steel did not help with warmth. The Space Marines were preparing. The Black Crusade would do battle with the Death Guard. THey hoped it would win the war, however risky and dangerous. Some of the men and women hoped to gain glory. Some had connection to the Alleyverse separate from being part of the Black Crusade. Theses numbers included Drako and Atticus. The glint of power armor hit by moonlight was everywhere. Newcago shined in the full moon. The sounds of marching boots echoed throughout the city. The two forces arrived in a large area, that seems to have been a skateboarding park before the Queen of this realm, Elsa Steelheart, had turned it to cold, harsh, metal. The forces looked at each other, sizing up. Then a voice rung through the silent night air. "FOR THE EMPEROR!!!" It split the silence and the battle begun. The Black Crusade space marines fought the Death Guard chaos marines. Blood soon spilled on the ground, and blaster bolts reflected everywhere. Armored bodies hit the ground, and nothing was quiet anymore. Then something happened. Something the Black Crusade had been entirely unprepared for. Something they had no way of preparing for.

The Death Guard fought. But they had an advantage. They new they would win. There leaders hadn't told them what, but they warned them something was happening. So they fought. And waited. Suddenly, out of the back, a wave of Chaos Marines was blasted into the air as a new force came through. They were strange. They seemed nothing like anything they had ever seen before. Except once. Only once. The Seven Day War had involved similar creatures. As one confused Space Marine watched, he let slip, "The DA? Why would the Dark Alley be here?" Then something unforeseeable happened. The man started jerking, then his eyes grew dark. He then started to attack his fellow Space Marines. A strange being, wich appeared to be an ancient husk the size of a Chasmfiend, wearing bright colors, smiled. Another man started jerking. Then another. Soon there was ten members of the Black Crusade attacking their own side. Other strange, unexplained thing happened as well. Men would randomly fall dead, with now wound upon them. Purple beams of power came from the side of the Death Guard, ripping through unprepared Space Marines. The Chaos Marines, heartened by the strange advantages, even though they were confused by this strange turn of events. It became a massacre quickly. As the Black Crusade turned, the Death Guard struck. Men and women dropped over the smooth surface of the ex-skate park. Not even a further twenty Chaos Marines fell. It was a slaughter.

There was a woman watching from a nearby rooftop. She was a sentinel, and her name was Ambrosia. She was preparing a report for their leader, who wished to join the war. The woman looked down on the battlefield, which had cleared quickly. Only the dark figure of the creatures the Death Guard had brought remained. She finished her report. It read: 

The fight started as an even match, but the Death Guard brought help. The majority of these creatures appear to be Hemalurgic, with one exception. The beauty of their creation was unmistakable, no matter how vile. Many of them seem to be at the level of the DA's most intricate creations. Subtle and deadly. The battle was a massacre, and to properly name it, I will call it The Slaughter of Spikes. I have named these demonic creatures for the purposes of the report.

The Puppeteer:

It looks like a giant corpse, dressed in the clothes of a court jester, or the King's Wit. It had the ability to take over human bodies. It seems to have a limit of ten, but I'm not positive. It was large, at least 40 feet, so brute strength would be an incredible asset. Further powers remains to be seen.

Shades: There were 17 present. They looked human in shape. They each had glowing red eyes, purple hair and eyebrows,, and had pitch black skin. They had a carapace covering their main body, and four more on their hands and feet. They would randomly disappear in a cloud of smoke, and reappear fro a second, slicing at a Space Marine. There hand went through living and nonliving material, acting like a shardblade without burning eyes. I believe they are taking advantage of the Transportation surge, and the unique properties of the Alleyverse to travel between realms.

Dark Kandra:

These appeared to be regular Kandra, except they had violet glowing eyes. I only realized they were Kandra when one was hit, and they liquified around it. Unlike normal Kandra, they all appear to have no aversion to death, having killed several Space Marines. They also were highly trained, similar to an Ghostblood Assassin. Despite this, I doubt they have anything to do with the Ghostbloods.

The Black One:

This one was strange. It looked like an Elantrian, but It was different. It had black hair, and a dark, gray looking skin. It glowed not with the regular Elantrian light, but a glow exactly the shade of Voidlight, such as the veins found on Hellbent's armor. It had spikes through It's eyes, but it did not seem like an an Abomination. It looked more like a demon from hell. It moved little, only raising his hand to shoot blasts of purple energy out of It's hand.

The sentinel woman packed up, pulled out a piece of crystal, and teleported away. She never saw the creature staring at her. She never realized that It had been watching her the whole time. That It knew exactly who she was, and what she was doing. The Abominations had long since left, but It was still there. In the moonlight, a reflection could be seen in the blood pooling on the floor. The reflection showed a dark figure. The figure looked strange. The creature in the reflection looked remarkably like a man who had perished in the Seven Day War. A man who had died fighting Devaan. A man who had owned armor glowing of Voidlight.

This battle was mostly just a way to show the danger the Black Crusade is in, and to introduce the Abominations. I have more information about them I'm working on, but this is it for now. I have no idea when I will be able to to a long write up again.

The Death Guard all fell dead, their corpses covered in frost even though it was about 20°C around them. As they died they all came to the same realisation simultaneously, as if the thought was planted in their heads. They should not have took Death's name without asking first. Copyright laws were really tight around here.

2 hours ago, LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian said:

Warhammer 40K came after Death though.

Doesn't matter.

Did anyone notice the foreshadowing I did for It? I would appreciate if no one else talked about It in there write ups. It will be used in RP later.

Edited by Ark1002

Blood on the Blade

The Space Marines were going to try a different strategy. A style similar to the Ghostbloods. A knife to the back, an empire falls. The threat was looking more impossible by the day, so they had decided they must resort to... unethical ways of warfare. They sent a specialized group, a coinshot space marine, Atticus, and Oculator, steelpusher, and ironpuller, and three space marines trained in assassination, with shardblades. Blackbane dart shooters were given to each. This group were close friends, trained to work together for a long time. It would help their performance. They snuck through the night, special machines muffling there footsteps. It was a new moon, totally dark. No one would find them. Unless they got caught. They had contingencies in place. They reached the camp, and snuck around the perimeter. They were only a few feet away from the leaders tent when everything went wrong. A guard fell dead. The Oculator looked around, and saw one of the marines holding the dart shooter. Voice a hiss, he whispered, "What did you do? You could give us all away!" The Space Marine looked back, unrelenting. "He was the one. He killed Avery." Understanding dawned on the Ocualtors face. There would have been six on this mission. One had died in The Slaughter of Spikes. Then happened. The moment that may have changed the course of the war.

The Abominations were ready. They had known they would do something. So they had prepared. The guard had been a puppet, controlled by the Puppeteer. They had known it would draw anger. As the men bickered, they sent one shade. It snuck behind them, grabbed one, and killed him. Then the Dark Kandra came. It grabbed him and ate him, becoming him. He walked into the group. Then pulled off his helmet. They were doing this for It. It wanted a show. And It got what it wanted. The fighting Space Marines turned and looked at him. Then his head slide off, a clean cut. The Dark Kandra had prepared that. She knew it would terrify the men. Then she liquified the body, terrifying them more. One screamed slightly, terrified. Suddenly he began jerking. Then stopped. Pulling off his helmet as well, he walked over to the coinshot. He put his head up to his Shardblade, then head butted him. The blade killed them both. Three dead, the remaining assassin and the oculator looked at each other in terror and confusion. Something passed between them. They jumped out from there hiding spot, to see a huge horde of Chaos Marines, surrounding the Puppeteer and some Shades. The puppeteer smiled. Then a blade came out of his chest. The body slumped. "Steelrunner baby!" The assassin smiled. Then a strange thing happened. Ten Chaos Marine were swirled to a central point. There flesh and muscles and bones melted, mixing. Then it came together in a huge, horrifying shape, with large arms recognizable. Ten more Chaos Marines started jerking. The Puppeteer was back, somehow. Even the spikes were still there. The ten Chaos Marines grabbed the Oculator and the Steelrunner. They chained them to slabs. Then they began to torture them. First a slow cutting of little slits in their faces. Then burning, freezing, and more. The two were there for hours. Then they pulled out the final peice. A bloodforged lense. A torturers lense. They made the Oculator watched as they submitted his friend to unbearable agony, hurting him incredibly, until he broke. Then they put him under water, and drowned him.

The oculator watched as they did this, growing anger and despair. He hit his head on the slab, switching to his translators lense. Then he disappeared. He grabbed the bloodforged lense and teleported away. He appeared back at the camp, shooken and grieving. His closest friends had all died, one tortured until he broke. He had survived by luck. But he wished he hadn't. He grieved.

It smiled. That had been fun. It was happy how it had turned out. It piled the bodies in a heap, letting them bleed on the ground. Then It stuck there shardblades through there chests, into the blood. They would be remembered as the failed assassins, the ones who failed in an attempt to win the war. It smiled. As It turned away there was a flash, and diamond appeared arround the bodies. The only thing that had happened was It moving It's hand. The words were there. The words read:

Here lies failures. They died of their own faults, and they will wallow in their gore for eternity.

It left the bodies, diamond bubble fused with steel ground. It didn't kill. It decimated.

Edited by Ark1002

I know some. If we want to divide it up, I'll take responsibility for the Winter Siege.

Time Order:

1. Winter Siege
  2. Invasion of Goldhaven Mountains
  3. Victory in Newcago
  4. Synod War
  5. Resurge of Chaos
  6. Victory in Synod Village
  7. ???

After that, what do we do? That's what I have so far, but we should add more than that. I added the Chaos Resurge, I think that should be in there. Nearly winning the battle, then a huge host of Chaos Marines coming back and driving them out.

Here is the write up you will need to read to figure It out.

Cutthroat

A group of leaders huddled at the table. Drako, leader of the Black Crusade. General Kane, Leader of the Sentinels. Queen Elsa Steelheart, ruler of the Newcago Court. Devaan, leader of the Canton of Combat, member of the Black Crusade. They were coming up with a strategy. They needed to win the war. But they were losing. They thought and thought. And then one stirred. Drako had realized something. He smiled, then spoke.

The Space Marines stood on the ship, looking out on the imposing realm of spheres. The black sky, the universe was totally different from there own. The Cognitive Realm. There was very few islands, but there were some. And the ocean was fairly near. The Space Marines set to work. They cut blocks of the obsidian-like ground of the ocean. They set up towers on the islands. A few even traveled to Roshar, where the spren had resources to build in the cognitive realm. In the end the islands in Newcago had fortresses in them, made if the same material as the islands, but reinforced. They now had access to a realm of there own. And one of them had Transportation. She was going to try something they hadn't tried before. Pulling people into the Cognitive Realm. They sent the ships out finding Chaos Marines and pulling them in. They killed them with ease. One dead, then another. And another. They had probably got through an eighth of the ranks when the first problem occurred. They pulled in a Shade. It killed one, then another. It had easily killed 20 men when the Elsecaller pushed it over the side. Unfortunately, it didn't need air.  So it was down there, and they had no way to find it. They went on guard, waiting. But nothing happened. There fortresses were not attacked, no men died. So they got back to it. They kept killing, and accidentally brought a Dark Kandra. Again, over the side, defense, no attack. So they killed more. With only one more shade, they reached the point where they had killed a quarter of the Chaos Marines. Then they made a mistake they never should have. They tried to pull in one of the Puppet Masters controled. He came in, and ten of the Space Marines started jerking. Then 9 more. In all, twenty people were controlled. Then they attacked, storming the ship. They also attacked the fortresses, with the help of two Shades and the Dark Kandra. They stormed defeated one, but then it went wrong for them. The Dark Kandra became a Mistwraith, the seven spikes removed. They stored the spikes, for research later. Then a Shade died. Then another. They defeated them. But at a cost. All but one of the fortresses were beaten, an eighth of the forces of the Black Crusade destroyed.

In the Physical Realm, the people were being beaten. Sentinels and Black Crusade lay dead on the streets, Chaos Marines ran wild. It was there. It ran wild. It had the power of an Elantrian, and the division surge. It also was different in color. It was like Voidlight, and had black hair instead of white. It killed many. Eventually It  left, and the Chaos Marines retreated. Both forces had lost about an quarter of there soldiers that day, Black Crusade and Death Guard.

Gancho, that is what you need to know. I don't care who wins, just don't kill or capture It. You can beat It, or lose to ItIt just has to escape if you beat It.

Edited by Ark1002