The Blazon of Gentrie

skaa

As I mentioned in one of my theory threads in the Cosmere Theories forum, I think I may have found the inspiration behind the table of Essences. It may be the 16th century book Blazon of Gentrie by Sir John Ferne. The book associates the nine heraldic tinctures (the colors used in heraldry) with various things that were relevant to the astrologers of the time, including gemstones, virtues, numbers, classical Elements, the months of the year, etc. You can read various excerpts here (just search for "Blazon of Gentrie").

Sounds familiar? Yeah, these very same things are also associated with the Heralds of the Almighty, with a few major differences. For example, ten is the numerologically significant number on Roshar, not nine. Also, the four classical elements of antiquity are replaced by the ten Essences. There are other differences, but I believe that the similarities are striking enough that a connection here seems likely.

On the other hand, these kinds of astrological associations have been done by other heraldists before Ferne, so it's possible that Brandon got the idea from somewhere else.

There is, however, another connection between the Stormlight Archives and the Blazon of Gentrie. Ferne, being a knight, was well aware that knighthood wasn't supposed to be just parading around in jousting competitions wearing heraldic symbols and poking other knights with sharp sticks. Knights were supposed to uphold chivalric codes of conduct, and part of Blazon of Gentrie was dedicated to the virtues of chivalry, of which there were nine:

...[O]f these nine virtues, four of them are called spiritual, and five temporal. The four virtues spiritual are these.

1 He shall honor his father and his mother.

2 He shall not oppress the poor.

3 He shall show mercy where mercy is due.

4 He shall fight for the defence of the sacrifice of the great God of heaven.

Now follow the five virtues temporal.

1 He shall not turn his back to his enemy, with intent to flee.

2 He shall truly hold his promise to his friend, as to his foe.

3 He shall be free with his hospitality.

4 He shall defend maidens right.

5 He shall uphold the cause of the widow.

Others have made different formulations of the chivalric code of medieval knights (look here for Gautier's), but the particular way that Ferne worded his version reminded me a lot about the Ideals of the Knights Radiant (just change "He shall" to "I will").

What do you guys think? Did I stumble upon something relevant, or is this all just a coincidence?

Edited by skaa
fixed link

• Chaos locked this topic