Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

Klade, not learning anything important from the nobility, went over to talk to Wit. At least that way he would be entertained at this stuffy party. "Greetings, Wit. This party has not been very interesting yet, and I find myself wanting my boredom to be dispelled by your sardonic and acidic wit."

Ialai was especially surprised when the Parshendi woman accepted Adolin’s offer of dance, although she originally seemed surprised, even shocked. Their emotions were very different to the Alethi, and their strange humming did unsettle her slightly. But she needed to speak with them, understand them, and it was obvious her husband did not want to.

Unfortunately, the closest one seemed to be talking to Wit. If she were to converse with the parshman, she would be unable to avoid him.

It was a risk she would have to take. “I am going to speak with the Parshendi,” she said to Torol. “Find out more about them.” With that, she began to walk towards @SE_Klade.

Beggar awoke from a drunken slumber only to find that the feast was not yet over. Evidently, he hadn't drunk nearly enough wine. The madness had returned full force while he'd been asleep, and only alcohol could lessen its symptoms. He rose from his table and walked back into the main hall, passing the nine Herald statues on his way. Beggar attempted to dodge the guards, especially Tearim, who disapproved of excessive drinking. Beggar had no use for such intolerance. Instead, he headed towards the Parshendi contingent. It was time to find out what their people preferred to drink.

“I am enjoying the festivities, thank you. You have provided very interesting music.”

She tried to remember the parshman’s name. “Tell me, Klade. Why did you decide to make a deal with our people? No doubt you were thriving on your own.” Privately, Ialai doubted that. “What motivated you to sign the treaty?”

16 hours ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

Aesudan lifted a glass of yellow off a servant, sipping it pensively. There was a lot more going on here than just some dull treaty, she could feel it. Virtually everyone had their own agenda. At least for the time being, it looked like everybody wanted the feast to go smoothly. Hopefully, as the night dragged on and wine eclipsed judgement, it would stay that way. An incident on a treaty night would be... Awkward, to say the least.

"How do you do? I don't believe I've caught your name?"

"Brightlady Aesudan Kholin, princess of Alethkar. And you are? I trust you are enjoying the festivities?"

Aesudan examined the new arrival. He was wearing some kind of uniform, and he had an odd crescent-shaped scar on his face. His eyes had a deadness to them that was a touch disconcerting. He clearly wasn't Alethi, and Aesudan wondered what had attracted a foreign official to the treaty celebration of Alethkar.

"I am astounded by the occasion, Brightlady. I feel like we will see history in the making tonight."

Nale took a sip of his wine, trying to behave normally.

"These Parshendi, they are strange creatures, aren't they? I feel like I hardly understand them. Perhaps a Brightlady like yourself, especially a Kholin, might have some idea of who they are, or what they want?"

Tearim watched Brightness Navani leave. She had wanted some smalltalk, but that was not Tearim's job tonight. It was, very simply, to protect the king and ensure the safety of the meeting tonight. Perhaps the concept was simple, but executing it? That was a chasm he'd have to cross when he got to it.

“Tell me, Klade. Why did you decide to make a deal with our people? No doubt you were thriving on your own.” Privately, Ialai doubted that. “What motivated you to sign the treaty?”

"The humans are powerful, and to resist power is to perish." Klade smiled inwardly. This woman was trying to learn about him subtlely, so Klade would have to be careful.

8 hours ago, SE_Darkness said:

"I am astounded by the occasion, Brightlady. I feel like we will see history in the making tonight."

Nale took a sip of his wine, trying to behave normally.

"These Parshendi, they are strange creatures, aren't they? I feel like I hardly understand them. Perhaps a Brightlady like yourself, especially a Kholin, might have some idea of who they are, or what they want?"

"Strange creatures indeed... I've actually never seen them in person before this night, but it seems an interest in the Parshendi has suddenly become very fashionable, no?"

"I think it is fairly clear what they want, however," Aesudan confided. "The Parshendi are a less developed people and nation, and they stand to gain from an alliance with Alethkar, and the benefits of modern fabrials and weapons and everything else, not to mention the protection of a strong ally. No, I think the real mystery is not what they gain from this, but what we gain from it... Any assets the Parshendi have, we could have simply taken by conquest. I trust King Gavilar's wisdom, of course, but I also know that I am not the only one to have wondered this."

Aesudan held out her empty glass, beckoning for a servant to refill it.

"You know, I don't believe you ever introduced yourself."

Szeth listened impassively as he walked about the hallways. Most of the guests barely noticed him, so it was up to him to squeeze through groups of chattering guests and keep the dirty plates he'd collected from falling into a particularly important Brightlord's backside.

Most of the groups he passed were exclusively human. Despite the treaty, it seemed that the Alethi were making no particular attempt at getting to know their new Parshendi allies, and some of them were even quietly wondering at their worth. There were exceptions, of course -- as Szeth cleaned a table, he noticed a foppish Alethi boy dancing with a Parshendi dignitary -- but for the most part the Alethi seemed content to leave the savages alone.

Perhaps it was the best that Szeth's new masters could ever hope for. He hoped this treaty would be enough to save them from Alethi conquest.

Aesudan spotted a Shin servant boy clearing a table, and motioned again for her glass to be refilled.

He was wearing white, an unusual and flowing garment. It stood out. It wasn't the typical attire of an Alethi manservant, nor could she spot any of the other servants in the area dressed similarly. Aesudan sensed the opportunity to deride whatever minor lighteyes it was who dressed their servants in such an irregular manner.

"You there. Who are you with?"

Dalinar stumbled into the main room, glancing about.

He kept his drunken sway to him - he had experienced it enough to know how to effectively fake it - and quickly scanned the room. He had spent most of his time walking around trying to find something to actually drink, not any of this low quality wine that was mainly being served up here, probably an effort by his brother to keep him sober.

Now there was an... odd air in the room. Something that just seemed slightly off. As far as he knew the night had passed mostly without incident, and something was bound to happen soon. Whether that was a fist fight breaking out, or himself getting drunk he didn't much care, just so long as something happened.

By the Almighty. Dalinar thought, what does someone have to do to get a glass of Violet around here?

6 minutes ago, SE_Dalinar_Kholin said:

Dalinar stumbled into the main room, glancing about.

He kept his drunken sway to him - he had experienced it enough to know how to effectively fake it - and quickly scanned the room. He had spent most of his time walking around trying to find something to actually drink, not any of this low quality wine that was mainly being served up here, probably an effort by his brother to keep him sober.

Now there was an... odd air in the room. Something that just seemed slightly off. As far as he knew the night had passed mostly without incident, and something was bound to happen soon. Whether that was a fist fight breaking out, or himself getting drunk he didn't much care, just so long as something happened.

By the Almighty. Dalinar thought, what does someone have to do to get a glass of Violet around here?

"Dalinar, friend," Sadeas said as he noticed the man walk into the room. He raised a glass of auburn wine in Dalinar's direction. "It is good to see you back in here to enjoy the feast."

4 hours ago, SE_Klade said:

"The humans are powerful, and to resist power is to perish." Klade smiled inwardly. This woman was trying to learn about him subtlely, so Klade would have to be careful.

Ialai smiled. There was certainly an intelligence to this species. They were not mindless brutes as some had claimed.

“Of course,” she continued, “but you certainly are hoping for something more through this arrangement. Trade? Weaponry? Connections? Undoubtably there are things your people require that we can provide.” She had once heard that you could judge much about a person by learning what they valued. She would find out now.

A clatter from the edge of the Hall distracted her, and she watched Dalinar enter, obviously drunk. Ialai couldn’t hold back a smile.

Edited by SE_Ialai_Sadeas

1 hour ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

Aesudan spotted a Shin servant boy clearing a table, and motioned again for her glass to be refilled.

He was wearing white, an unusual and flowing garment. It stood out. It wasn't the typical attire of an Alethi manservant, nor could she spot any of the other servants in the area dressed similarly. Aesudan sensed the opportunity to deride whatever minor lighteyes it was who dressed their servants in such an irregular manner.

"You there. Who are you with?"

"I serve the Parshendi."

A Shin serving the Parshendi? Aesudan was visibly surprised by this.

”What, really? I didn’t know they had servants.”

A Shin servant was odd in of itself, but this one was also the first human she had identified as part of the Parshendi entourage. It was a strange thought, to see a human servant to parshmen. How had this come to pass? Perhaps she would ask one of the Parshendi leaders about it later.

Aesudan glanced back towards the foreigner with the crescent scar, whose name she had yet to discern.

”My friend here was wondering what the Parshendi might want out of this alliance. What do you make of them, servant?”

“Our people do not require anything other than what we have. This treaty is simply to protect us, though once we know more about your people's resources, that may change."

“Indeed. You seem like you have everything you need.” Except proper culture, religion, and civilisation. “What I do not understand, however, is why our King decided on this treaty. You seem aware that we are a warlike people, and many expected Gavilar to invade rather than make peace, as he has done before. So I am left wondering: what sort of things can your people offer us? What can the Parshendi give in exchange for the items we will invariably provide?”

Edited by SE_Ialai_Sadeas
Formatting was weird.

“Indeed. You seem like you have everything you need.” Except proper culture, religion, and civilisation. “What I do not understand, however, is why our King decided on this treaty. You seem aware that we are a warlike people, and many expected Gavilar to invade rather than make peace, as he has done before. So I am left wondering: what sort of things can your people offer us? What can the Parshendi give in exchange for the items we will invariably provide?”

This was getting into dangerous territory, so he simply sidestepped the question. "We will cross that bridge when we come to it."