Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

LG49/AN3: Hour 12 - Unite Them

A bell tolled somewhere in Kholinar. No mortal knew why the bell tolled or even who set it ringing. Honour knew, though. Or at least, the fragment of Honour that still lived. It was Odium. Honour shivered, feeling Odium's might grow just that little bit more powerful. Hopefully it was only for a time. A day. But deep down, Honour knew it was worse than that. The Desolation was almost here. Odium was almost free. Honour wasn't even sure it could be stopped at this point, but she—he? it? did Honour have a proper gender pronoun?—wasn't about to sit twiddling her/his/its metaphorical thumbs waiting for the self-proclaimed Shard of Passion and Omnipotence ("Ha," Honour laughed. "As if Hatred could supply either of those two. More like the Shard of Senility." And then Honour chortled at her/his/its joke). These people needed all the help they could get. So while Honour might be mostly dead, Honour did what Honour could.

Tearim and Liss are no longer ostracised.

All actions placed in the first 24 hours of the turn will have an additional 15% chance of success.

A final note about RP points: I've been very lenient when counting RP points. From now on, however, I will only count 2 posts each turn per player that contain less than 25 words of RP in them. All other posts must RP 50 or more words in order to get an RP point.

Oh, and happy birthday, Orlok/Odium.

This is more a collection of general thoughts than an in-depth analysis, but it covers most everything. 

1. Welcome back, Tearim and Liss. I hope that you gained some valuable information outside of the palace, because it looks like we’re going to need it.
  2. It also looks like I’m not going to be able to fulfill my wincon if we want to win this turn. But if you don’t have an action, I will do my best to use it properly, so feel free to assist.
  3. So: the Desolation is coming. It will come at the end of this turn - Adolin knew that it would, somehow, which means that there is a channel of information that he used to get that information. If anyone else would like to divulge what that information is, then I’d like that to be shared, privately if not publicly. I’m pretty sure people have agreed I’m trustworthy, and I lack wincons that put me on any particular side, so I’m happy to be an intermediary. If not me, then we should definitely elect one.
  4. The question remains, however, whether the Desolation is being summoned by a person or is being caused by something outside of our control. In either case, we should start with what we know. What items do we know to be important to the Desolation? The Black Sphere would be a good starting point.
  5. In addition, everyone should share their actions for the past few (many?) turns. Again, if not on the thread then with an intermediary. If we can build up a timeline, we can determine the movements of items and possible candidates for killing people.
  6. I believe that Tanavast is referred to using male pronouns. Whether a shard is considered animate is up for debate.
  7. Happy birthday, Odium! Hope your celebrations don’t destroy the world too much.

Klade looked back at the warped zone. "I think I saw one of the visiting brightlords pick it up, but that was a while ago. Before all this craziness happened."

Some commotion went on behind him. He glanced backwards. Apparently a couple of guests who had been thrown out had made their way back in.

He turned back to Jasnah. "Do you think we should go look for it?"

14 minutes ago, SE_Klade said:

Klade looked back at the warped zone. "I think I saw one of the visiting brightlords pick it up, but that was a while ago. Before all this craziness happened."

Ivory shivered as he tore his gaze away from the area that seemed to hold klade's attention. "Pick what up, klade?"

"I wish I could call that thing the least of our problems right now, but who knows what kind of damage interfering with the flow of time could do." Ivory looked around, but there was no clear trace of the rogue fabrial as far as he could tell. "If you see the fabrial again, inform Jasnah. She should be able to dispose of it. And more importantly, no one will be allowed to stop her when she does that."

"I believe that I will smash it with a shardhammer" Jasnah declared. "I've had the opportunity to go through all 5 ideals in one night, which is probably a world record. Therefore, I must have shardplate- if I can just figure out how to summon it- which will give me the strength to pick up and use the shardhammer"

After speaking, Jasnah thought that that had sounded very uncharacteristic, even for her. She wondered what the others would think. 

"Yes, Klade, That time fabrial is important to destroy, so I task you with rounding up a group of servants and locating it. This may be done at any time, because there are other important things on the horizon, including the start of the Desolation. However, If you find it, I will make sure that it is destroyed."

30 minutes ago, SE_Kelek said:

One thing: Did I miss an announcement from before I showed up that explained exactly what you can do with RP points?

Also, I find it rather odd that Jasnah hasn't been attacked yet. At this point, especially if they aren't a harm to anyone anymore, any chance the Kholin Killer could step up?

1. Yes, You can use RP points to increase the odds of an action succeeding. 1 RP point corresponds to 1 percent. 

2. I am working on determining what has happened. I believe that there is more than one killer, spread across Multiple groups. I have a few leads, but I don't want to go into it much more now, because I think one or more of the culprits has since changed their ways, including whoever is responsible for my cousins' deaths.  

If someone could make a list of Kholins, and which have been killed by whom(that we know of), that would be great. I want to but don't have time right at this moment. If not, I'll do it later on today, in quite a few hours. 

Edited by SE_Jasnah_Kholin
Added last phrase in part 2

17 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Yes, but I'm not Tanavast just as Orlok isn't Rayse.

You mean that GMs aren’t incredibly ancient and powerful beings with powers far outreaching any of our own, with machinations extending far beyond what our mortal minds can even comprehend? 

But, yeah, I think I misinterpreted the question.

I’ll find the list of Kholins for you in a few hours, Jasnah.

Klade started turning away from Jasnah, then paused. "Brightness," he began, "I believe that some of my fellow men were involved in the attacks earlier tonight, although I am not certain." Klade attuned the rhythm of Supplication. "They are dead now, but I thought it might help you to know." He stepped away.

@SE_Klade, are you referring to Thaidikar and Restares? I believe those are the only ones we don't know who was responsible for from the first half of the night... And by "men", do you mean "woman"? As you are the only male parshendi inside the palace. (I do believe there is a parshendi drummer outside... Why no one has let that person in yet is beyond me)

Edited by SE_Liss

4 hours ago, SE_Jasnah_Kholin said:

If someone could make a list of Kholins, and which have been killed by whom(that we know of), that would be great. I want to but don't have time right at this moment. If not, I'll do it later on today, in quite a few hours. 

Renarin- Killed by Aesudan hour 5
Gavilar- Killed by Aesudan hour 6
Aesudan- Killed by Adolin hour 8
Dalinar- Killed by Venli hour 8.5
Elhokar- Killed by ??? hour 9.5
Navani- Killed by ??? hour 10
Adolin- Killed by ??? hour 10.5
Jasnah- Still alive 

I'm pretty sure this is correct hour-wise. If anyone knows who killed Elhokar, Navani, and/or Adolin, please fill in the missing information.

"And so the story comes to an end. Sadly, I will be leaving now, I have other places to be. This party has been entertaining to a fault. Watching all of you scrabble about between chulls was supremely enjoyable, and will make an excellent story to tell to my future victims. For now, I will leave this world, because apparently I am needed elsewhere. Not sure what exactly I was supposed to do here, but hopefully I did it and the cosmere is pleased with me. Perhaps I'll finally find those noodles I've been looking for for 3 centuries now. Seriously, those noodles are going to be extremely good when I find them. Away with you, chully!"
The chull slowly plodded out of the grand dining hall covered in dead alethi bodies. The remaining Alethi court simply looked on, and decided it was best to move on with their lives instead of worrying about whatever Wit had been rambling about. 

The High Price of Freedom/Aftermath

Honour watched the palace with bated breath. Would her/his/its help actually mean anything? Only time would tell.

-

Only one more left, the Kholin killer thought, creeping through the hallways after the queen. The last hour and a half had been difficult, with such a to-do around Jasnah Kholin's protection, but finally, finally, she was open to attack. At least, the killer was pretty sure she was. It would be mighty inconvenient if she survived, since he had others to kill after her. He had a mission, after all. Begin the desolation. Not that he'd come here expecting to do that. Quite the opposite in fact, But plans change when one's old gods are revealed. Klade shuddered, remembering the Unmade. He didn't want to be serving his old gods—his people had abandoned them eons ago to avoid exactly this—but then these Alethi just had to meddle in things they didn't understand and look what was happening: the world was on the precipice of a Desolation. And they only had themselves to blame.

"Halt!"

Klade froze, and then realized that the call hadn't been for him. It came from ahead. He peeked around the corner and saw Jasnah confronting the Captain of the Guard—what was his name? T-something? He couldn't remember. The Queen's back was to Klade. She didn't see him coming, but she didn't have to.

-

Tearim noticed movement over Jasnah's shoulder. Klade. What was the Parshendi holding? A....knife? It was! And with the way he was looking at Jasnah, it was clear the man had one goal: to kill the queen. Tearim pushed Jasnah out of the way, and then he felt pain. So much pain. Why was there pain? Was it Klade?

No, no, Klade had frozen for a second, looking at Tearim, but he still held his knife. So what had happened. Tearim looked at Jasnah. She held a blade—not her Shardblade—and it dripped blood. His blood. She'd tried to kill him.

-

Klade took the moment of distraction to close the distance between himself and the Queen. He knew he only had one chance to kill her and his aim needed to be true. She was a Radiant. She could heal, but she couldn't heal from a killing stroke. He swung his blade.

-

A Radiant, dead. Honour lost all hope. The Desolation was coming and there wasn't anything she could do to stop it. She'd tried. But it was now clear to her that she'd underestimated Odium.

-

No, Tearim thought, watching the blade pierce his queen's body. She fell, gasping in pain, and Tearim knew she wouldn't be rising again, Radiant or not. He heard a sound behind him, and then Liss was there, helping him to his feet. She already had her wicked-looking dagger out and Tearim unsheathed his sword.

-

Klade watched the queen fall. Slowly. The light in her eyes went dark and he knew he'd succeeded. He heard the sound of metal behind him, and he glanced over his shoulder. I thought he was dead. But no, the Captain stood with his sword out, and that servant girl stood next to him, with a weapon of her own. Klade attuned to Irritation. He'd only just murdered the last Kholin. Was there really to be no rest for him?

-

Ialai had learned much since she'd accidentally killed her husband. She no longer hesitated to kill if she knew it was the right thing to do, and she knew this was the right thing to do. She hurried down the corridor to where she'd heard Jasnah's cry, but when she rounded the corner, she had to pause for a moment to take everything in. Jasnah was on the ground, blood surrounding her. Even at this distance, Ialai could tell her queen was dead. Another Kholin, gone. Tearim stood next to her body. He was also bleeding, and Ialai knew why. Jasnah had attacked him, and he must've retaliated. And now he was trying to kill a Parshendi. Ialai ran to stop the murder, but she didn't get there in time. Klade tried to defend himself, but he was blocked by Liss—where had she come from? Ialai had completely missed seeing her, and why was she helping Tearim?! Tearim skewered the Parshendi.

"That's for killing the queen," he said.

Ialai brought her blade down, into Tearim's back with as much force as she could. And then his words hit her. Klade had killed Jasnah Kholin. Not Tearim. Tearim had defended her. And she'd just killed the man for it.

-

Honour breathed a sigh of relief. She'd judged them too harshly, too soon. They'd actually done it. Miraculously. Somehow. Take that, Odium/Senility, she thought.

-

Wit stood on his chull and brought a scroll out of his pocket. Holding the top, he let the end fall. And fall. And fall. He had a lot he needed to say. But before he was even able to get one word out, Ialai and Liss stumbled into the feast hall. They were both covered in blood and looked rather...distraught. That was curious. But not curious enough to stop him from what he needed to say. He cleared his throat, but Ialai cut him off.

"Jasnah is dead. And Tearim. And Klade."

Well, that changed things a bit. Wit started rolling the scroll back up while Ialai explained just what exactly had happened. Her explanation took a while, which was good because the scroll took a while to roll up. Finally, though, the scroll was gathered and Ialai's explanation was complete. Wit leaped off his chull.

"Well. It seems my time here is done. Fear not: I'll be laughing at your spiritual essences once you all have been long forgotten. Especially you, Sadeas. No, not you Ialai. Your husband. I'm sure his spirit is around here somewhere. Might even be in this rock," Wit said, pulling the moss-covered rock out of his pocket and looked closely at it. It would make a strange sort of sense for Sadeas' spirit to take over something that looked so like him in his physical form, so Wit spoke to the rock. "Even though you're dead, I'm still laughing at you." And then he walked away. As he passed Liss, he dropped the rock onto her head with a "boop," and continued on his way.

Liss grabbed the rock off the top of her head and stared at it in confusion.

And that's game.

A big congratulations to the following players, who completed all of their win conditions:
Jasnah Kholin
Wit

Players who failed one of their non-final win conditions but completed all other win conditions (including those who died after having all their win conditions revealed) also won. Those players are:
Ialai Sadeas
Ivory
Adolin Kholin
Liss
Drunk Beggar
Ash
Darkness
Kelek

Master Spreadsheet
Beggar Feast (dead/spec doc)
Palace Grounds (ostracism doc)
Alethi
Secret Societies
Shadesmar
Women
Diplomats
Intellectuals
Parshendi
Gavilar's War Council
Heralds
Feast Hall Back Wall
Monastery Dias/Monastery Dias 2.0
Sunwalk Entrance
Ten Herald Hallway
Unused Guest Suite
Darkened Corridor
Loading Dock
Art Gallery

Thanks to everyone who played and thank you so much to Orlok and El. A thousand thank yous to both of them. I'll have a bit more to say about my thoughts on the game but not tonight. I'll save that for a couple days hence.

Please use your own account now. We'll be locking up the anonymous accounts in the next few hours.