Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

Jasnah was supposed to be in the main ballroom, discussing with the guests. However, she had other plans that night. Most of those plans had been completed. It was time to head back to the grand ballroom. She began walking through the halls. Having much to consider, she took the long way, and went at a comfortable pace. Jasnah was trying to find out what some people were up to, including many of the strange servants she had seen in the halls this night. Turning a corner, she noticed her shadow change directions. It no longer led away from the lights on the walls and pointed behind her. Now it pointed forward, seemingly ignoring the lamps of stormlight completely. It started taking on an oily appearance. Then it stopped. 

Something wasn't right here, but she proceeded cautiously regardless. She knew that she would have to face her father and Meridas Amaram again this evening, and that she secretly dreaded, though she wouldn't show that to anyone. 

It happened again. Her shadow seemed to ignore the light... Suddenly her entire surroundings changed, and she began drowning in a sea of...beads.

“We were all surprised by Jasnah’s decision, Meridas.” Ialai pursed her lips. Surprised and troubled. “But we must deal with the consequences. With time, perhaps she can realise her mistake and return to Vorinism.”

Not that that was likely. Knowing Jasnah, she’d probably hold to her beliefs even if the Almighty himself appeared in front of her.

Navani noticed Ialai and Torol Sadeas enter the building, still managing to put up a polite smile despite how she really felt about them. Especially Ialai, the gossiping brat. Navani recoiled slightly at the use of such profanity, even in her mind (a lady didn't resort to such barbaric means!) but decided such a description was too easy on Sadeas' wife.

Alllowing a small huff of displeasure escape her, Navani picked up her notebook and stood up with her havah, slowly making her way to greet the couple. It was proper palace protocol, and everybody knew that not greeting the leaders of a particularly powerful highprincedom was a very large breach in that.

Navani saw Ialai take a fleeting glance at her before Navani entered into the vicinity of the pair.

"Ialai and Torol!" She said, pretending to only just notice them. "It is a great pleasure to have you on such a night. Are you enjoying the arrangements?"

After miraculously finding a way to escape the sea by making the palace out of the beads. Though she did not know how she did it. It was time to join in on the festivities. She felt out of her normal self, and upon entering the grand ballroom, She ran into the King's Wit. 

"Ahh, Wit, I am pleased to be in your acquaintance today. However, I must apologize that at this moment, I am too wrapped up by my own present concerns to participate in your petty games and mindless banter" She remarked, even before Wit could speak to her. 

Adolin saw Jasnah reproach Wit, though his cousin looked slightly shaken. He couldn’t blame her. With many strangers roaming the palace, who had time to pay attention to that overblown fool? There were far too many potential women around to woo, and Adolin intended to begin talking to a few of them soon. But first, he moved to console his cousin, placing a hand around her shoulder. “Don’t let Wit get to your head, Jasnah,” he spoke. “That’s the fastest way to get yourself played into his hands, and Almighty knows that’s the last place you’d want to be.” 

My apologies for the slightly delayed check-in, and lacklustre RP—I intend to remedy both of these things before long. My activity may not be strictly excellent this game, but it will be reasonable enough as to allay any concerns about my going inactive. Docs should help keep me engaged, as shall PMs, so anyone looking for an interesting person to talk to is free to shoot me one of those. Especially any ladies in the palace. ;) (I swear I am not Elenion. I swear it with every fibre of my being.)

As for any game thoughts, I believe there is not much to say. The thread has consisted mainly of RP, which is excellent, and a trend I hope to see lasting longer than the first day. The numerous win conditions and factions will certainly muddy the waters slightly, but I believe almost everybody can pull off a victory in this game, with the exception of some conditions that may be incompatible with others. As such, I would advocate not publicising win conditions unless it is strictly necessary (or you just want to) in order to facilitate a more fun game, where each individual (and perhaps some factions) are working towards a goal instead of the entire thread working in concert to fulfill as many win conditions as possible, which, while it would be efficient, would also strip the game of much of its joy. I don’t think this is a particular danger, I’d just rather that people consider the ramifications of revealing information before doing so.

1 hour ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

"Ialai and Torol!" She said, pretending to only just notice them. "It is a great pleasure to have you on such a night. Are you enjoying the arrangements?"

"AH, Brightness Navani. Wonderful to see you here. How are you? I hear you've been unable to control that daughter of yours. Too much of a rebellious spirit I hear, like her mother."

Hey, Adolin made it!  Pull up a chair, grab some wine! You wanna try a quick duel later? Maybe I can beat you if you have both hands tied behind your back, haha.

Don't let Sadeas get to you, he's like that with everyone. Wit must have put him in a bad mood.

Hey look! They've got shinovar food! Amazing! This feast must have been a nightmare to plan. Dibs on the chicken!

While discussing with Adolin, Jasnah approached the circle, just in time to hear Ialai finish her thoughts. 

"Ahh Ialai, I see you disapprove of my personal beliefs. Tell me, Ialai, Can you prove to me the existence of any gods? For you see, I believe that which I know, and I know that which I can discover and prove. There are strong arguments in favor of a god, but each of those can be countered easily by an argument disputing it."

Turning back to Adolin, Jasnah continued. "Forgive me, young Adolin for my getting distracted. Where were we? Ah yes, Wit does tend to be in just the correct place at the right time. Or wrong place at the wrong time, depending on how you look at it. Now, where did your father get off to this time? We'd best check the cellars. My father is just getting ready to have a meeting with Torol and some of his other advisors, and if I'm not mistaken, your father is supposed to attend."

-------

So, I think of all people that should be lynched on to ostracize, the assassin in white is the best bet. Szeth Sapphire. We all know the trouble he caused at this point in the story. :D

Edited by SE_Jasnah_Kholin
added in vote.

I glared at the party guests. Whenever I walked over to one side of the room, everyone fled to the other side. How in the world was I supposed to spread my Wit if everyone just kept avoiding me? The parshendi didn't even react to my insults. They just sort of stood there and walked away with their drums. Clearly, in order to subject these party guests to my wit, I, the King's Wit, would need to keep them from fleeing. A witty trap of some sort. And so I began to hunt for something better than the lesser lighteyes with so little to poke fun at. 

14 minutes ago, SE_Elhokar_Kholin said:

Dibs on the chicken!

[OOC]Bad idea. I am not on the Chicken Brigade, but given the sheer number of bird accounts, I would appreciate remaining in their good books. :P[/OOC]

Adolin turned back to Jasnah. “I think Uncle Gavilar guarded the cellars against Father; I doubt we would find him there, though to be sure he could likely dispatch whatever paltry force stood in his way, were he truly determined to get in.” He shook his head sadly. “Father is likely in a more out-of-the-way location. I doubt he even wants to attend Uncle’s meetings; he thinks they’re a waste of time. Perhaps if he was convinced that the Parshendi would be influenced by a display of force, he’d come running.” Adolin grinned ruefully. While his father may have a slight problem with alcohol, there was no man in Alethkar who could match him in a fight of any kind, and Adolin hoped to see more of the strong warrior in his father, rather than the pitiful drunkard that emerged at times. Turning away from Jasnah, he strode purposefully down the hall, hoping to find his father, or alternatively any attractive ladies to dance with. Having no real cause for concern, he didn’t really mind which. 

This already is not how I expected this feast to go. Tempers always flare, but usually it was later in the evening. And not between House Sadeas and House Kholin. I needed to interefere. But first, I sent a master servant to fetch Wit

"Ialai, Navani, might I ask just what has caused you two to be so snappish with eachother? You've worked side by side for the past decade and never snapped at eachother like this. And Sadeas, heretic or not, I ask you not to disparage my Daughter. Her choice is hers to make, and I will not allow it to overshadow the peace celebrations. Especially not when there is so much om the line. The other Alethi look to the four of us on how to behave, so let's show them how to behave civilly please."

I see out of the corner of my eye that Wit has arrived. Good. "Ah, Wit. I hope you have more material prepared, because these three have not been keeping their Wiy about them. You have my permission and my order to follow them, and if they insult one another, or my daughter  i want you to insult them back threefold. Loudly. Now then, I need to go speak with my Daughter." I turn and leave the four of them before they can offer any objection.

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white as he sat demurely in the back of the room, watching the partygoers. Few of them noticed him. He was just a servant, and Shin were easy to ignore. The real interest for these Alethi would lie in the delicate games of status they played, where words cut deep as blades and a social slight was as good as a death blow.

His masters had not ordered him to do anything, other than to help with the smooth functioning of the treaty-signing celebration. The Parshendi hardly seemed to know how to deal with a servant at all, in contrast with the Alethi, who had no such issue with the Parshmen. For that he was grateful. Szeth suspected they would be kinder masters than many of his human ones.

33 minutes ago, SE_Gavilar_Kholin said:

This already is not how I expected this feast to go. Tempers always flare, but usually it was later in the evening. And not between House Sadeas and House Kholin. I needed to interefere. But first, I sent a master servant to fetch Wit

"Ialai, Navani, might I ask just what has caused you two to be so snappish with eachother? You've worked side by side for the past decade and never snapped at eachother like this. And Sadeas, heretic or not, I ask you not to disparage my Daughter. Her choice is hers to make, and I will not allow it to overshadow the peace celebrations. Especially not when there is so much om the line. The other Alethi look to the four of us on how to behave, so let's show them how to behave civilly please."

I see out of the corner of my eye that Wit has arrived. Good. "Ah, Wit. I hope you have more material prepared, because these three have not been keeping their Wiy about them. You have my permission and my order to follow them, and if they insult one another, or my daughter  i want you to insult them back threefold. Loudly. Now then, I need to go speak with my Daughter." I turn and leave the four of them before they can offer any objection.

"As you wish, my King." Torol nodded in subservience to Gavilar.

To avoid more problems with the Alethi elite, he turned walked toward the Parsendi. "How are the honored guests this evening?" 

Beggar drank his wine as he sat in one of the Feast Hall's corners. Orange to start, there would be plenty of time later that night to drink stronger wines. For now, it would be best to maintain some semblance of sobriety, drinking just enough to ease the pain. The pain never really left, of course, and even the strongest lagers could merely dull the memories for a time, but every drop of liquor helped. It was one of the only things that helped these days.

Beggar suffered few distractions as he drank. The Parshendi evidently disliked Alethi wines. A shame, but perhaps a blessing, if he could acquire any Parshendi vintages. He would have to ask some delegates when they weren't so busy. On the human side, the servants were all far too busy to enjoy wine, and few powerful lighteyes were willing to publicly associate with a darkeyes, much less a darkeyes wearing humble rags. Dalinar was the exception here. The Brightlord was willing to share a drink with anyone, especially if the drink in question was a strong violet. The king disapproved, of course, but it was very difficult to stop the Blackthorn from doing as he pleased. Beggar noticed the man wasn't in the hall at the moment. Perhaps he was drinking the violet wine Beggar had lent him, or perhaps he was talking to one of his family members privately. Beggar was fine with waiting. He opened a second bottle of orange and began to drink.

2 hours ago, SE_Jasnah_Kholin said:

While discussing with Adolin, Jasnah approached the circle, just in time to hear Ialai finish her thoughts. 

"Ahh Ialai, I see you disapprove of my personal beliefs. Tell me, Ialai, Can you prove to me the existence of any gods? For you see, I believe that which I know, and I know that which I can discover and prove. There are strong arguments in favor of a god, but each of those can be countered easily by an argument disputing it."

Turning back to Adolin, Jasnah continued. "Forgive me, young Adolin for my getting distracted. Where were we? Ah yes, Wit does tend to be in just the correct place at the right time. Or wrong place at the wrong time, depending on how you look at it. Now, where did your father get off to this time? We'd best check the cellars. My father is just getting ready to have a meeting with Torol and some of his other advisors, and if I'm not mistaken, your father is supposed to attend."

-------

So, I think of all people that should be lynched on to ostracize, the assassin in white is the best bet. Szeth Sapphire. We all know the trouble he caused at this point in the story. :D

Nale stood up near the royalties table, where he overheard Jasnah speaking.

"Jasnah Kholin, we should not punish someone who has not yet committed a crime. That would be illegal. Your target seems to just be a simple servant, and it's unfair how you single him out."

He saw a few nobles turn to him with surprise, wondering why a diplomat saw fit to interrupt their conversation.

"I apologise. I merely felt it prudent to speak out."

That was a mistake, Nale. Do not let it happen again.

(Out of character, I don't think we should ostracize someone because we have knowledge of the books before the player has even had a chance to post - it's unfair to whichever unfortunate player got that role if they immediately get lynched over it. The moment I have evidence or even a suspicion in-game that their goals run counter to mine, then I'll try to lynch him.)

2 hours ago, SE_Szeth said:

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white as he sat demurely in the back of the room, watching the partygoers. Few of them noticed him. He was just a servant, and Shin were easy to ignore. The real interest for these Alethi would lie in the delicate games of status they played, where words cut deep as blades and a social slight was as good as a death blow.

His masters had not ordered him to do anything, other than to help with the smooth functioning of the treaty-signing celebration. The Parshendi hardly seemed to know how to deal with a servant at all, in contrast with the Alethi, who had no such issue with the Parshmen. For that he was grateful. Szeth suspected they would be kinder masters than many of his human ones.

Liss felt that it was about time to take a break from shadowing the nobles and see what the beggars saw from this situation. Just about to go get rid of her platter, she noticed a Shin.

Funny... Reminds me of the servant I had a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder what a Shin is doing here.

Liss walks over to the Shin fellow.

"Brightlord, is there something you need? Why is it you are not enjoying the celibration?

Out of character:

(Out of character, I don't think we should ostracize someone because we have knowledge of the books before the player has even had a chance to post - it's unfair to whichever unfortunate player got that role if they immediately get lynched over it. The moment I have evidence or even a suspicion in-game that their goals run counter to mine, then I'll try to lynch him.)

Of course you would say that.  You are playing Nale. And it is unfair.  It makes sense that Jasnah would propose something like that.  As for me, I don't care either way as I am playing Liss.  As long as it doesn't affect me. : )
(Seriously though, I agree.  This game will be a lot less fun if we lynch people based on the book rather than what happens here)

Edited by SE_Liss
forgot my "Out of character" part.

3 hours ago, SE_Jasnah_Kholin said:

“Jasnah, do you claim to predict the future? I knew you had declared your heresy, but this, this isn’t heresy. Predicting the future, it’s lunacy. For the sake of those of us who still believe, please stop.” Amaram walks off muttering a silent prayer, heading in the direction of the ardentia.

Edited by SE_Meridas_Amaram
Accidentally double spaced. Nevermind it’s just glitched

Ialai smiled. “Perhaps it is indicative of those who blaspheme to also predict the future, which we all know is a trait of the Voidbringers. I should hope, Brightness, that you steer well clear of such actions, no matter how heretical you become.”

I don’t really want to get in a complex religious argument on here, even if it’s correct to the text. Let’s stick to basic Vorinism for now, and maybe agree to disagree.

Aesudan worked her way through the crowd, looking for a face she recognized amidst the milling of servants and obnoxious parshman drummers. She noted a cluster of Kholin and Sadeas, but steered clear when she spotted the king's Wit presiding over the throng. Aesudan was astounded that nobody had killed the man yet. It was not the Alethi way to speak of such things in public, but anybody as tactless as this new Wit was bound to insult the wrong brightlord sooner or later.

This feast would be a fateful one, she could tell. Aesudan cared not for a treaty with some backwater in the shattered plains, but a gathering of this size was an opportunity to advance in standing unlike any other.

She spotted Elhokar chasing after a particularly large stuffed chicken. She wondered halfheartedly if they had prepared a sweetened counterpart.

"Ah, hello dear."

2 hours ago, SE_Ialai_Sadeas said:

Ialai smiled. “Perhaps it is indicative of those who blaspheme to also predict the future, which we all know is a trait of the Voidbringers. I should hope, Brightness, that you steer well clear of such actions, no matter how heretical you become.”

"That would be enough, Ialai," Navani spoke with a stern tone, her words a warning hopefully not lost on deaf ears. While Gavilar and his brother found themselves fond of the couple, Navani couldn't stand them. As her eyes met Ialai's they seemed to have a conversation just with the glance. Shooting a scolding stare back at Jasnah, Navani remarked.

"Daughter, dear, perhaps you'd like to listen to the drummers for a bit. Relax, and remember not to be disrespectful to your elders." She'd seen her husband manage to get Torol out of the arrangement, Navani felt it was her duty to do the second half.

Suddenly, a diplomat stepped out and voted Jasnah to be ostracised. Taking a deep breath, Navani turned her head at the man, hopefully giving him a stare frightening enough to reconsider his options. She'd been told she did that sometimes.