Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

LG49/AN3: Hour 9.5 - The End of Justice

Justice. Such an abstract concept. Could such a thing have a beginning? An end? Or was it even an end? It wasn't like Nale could die permanently. Although....joining Taln was not precisely what Nale had intended to do when he'd journeyed across Roshar for this treaty. Damnation and damnation.

The pain overtook him and everything went black.

-

Eshonai thought she'd be afraid of death. But here, as she stood, looking at into its dark eyes, she wasn't afraid. She wasn't a fighter, but she was full of curiosity, and death was...curious. Mysterious. Her only regret was that she wouldn't be there to help her sister.

-

Venli didn't feel bad for killing the drunkard. He hardly seemed necessary, and yet all of these Alethi were up in arms over his death. They made no sense to her. On the plus side, Venli was a scholar, and now she was on the grounds, which were far more interesting to her than being stuck inside the confining walls of the palace.

Venli was ostracised!
Darkness was killed!
Eshonai was killed!

This turn will end Monday at 4:00 PM MDT:

bla_1540245600.png

Okay... I'll hazard a guess that darkness died because of Venli. 

Two other people have died since the spren was captured. Amaram and Eshonai. They were guilty in canon, so I'm hoping that they were killed by a vigilante.

Optimistically, that means that if Venli dies, we could win. I kinda hoped the ostracization vote would do that anyways, but here we are.

Adolin, how did your kill action work out?

Just now, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

It was redirected to Darkness

That was my guess. Occam’s Razor.

To keep banging the same drum I’ve been using for the past hour, I (again) need cooperators for my four-person wincon. Someone roleblocked me during my last attempt. If you’re not planning an action, get in touch. Even if you might be able to assist, let me know; I’d rather get the message sooner than later. I’m planning to a Charm again unless anyone has bright ideas. (If you have a wincon that you want completed but not enough people to do it, having me lead it might be an option for you.)

Also, it is important to note that roughly 50% of the original players are either dead or currently ostracized. Any more deaths will put the survivors in a minority.

What a great feast this has been, Liss thought.  This was supposed to be a treaty signing.  Yet so far, the King, half of his family, and 1 of the parshendi had been murdered, another had been ostracised, and the third... Liss hadn't heard or seen the third in quite some time.  Hopefully he was okay.  Regardless, if Elhokar wanted to keep the treaty with them, he had a lot of work left to do.

Dresses were horrible things.  In the fighting that happened earlier, it got in her way, slowing her down.  It unfortunately was necessary, but she made a mental note to, in the future, have one made that could be torn off at a moments notice.  It would get quite warm wearing two layers of clothes, but it was a price worth paying for the better mobility in these situations.

The attack on Eshonai bothers me. Remember that the Parshendi where not responsible for the attack on Gavilar, and I think its not unlikely that Venli worked alone, unless someone has proof otherwise? I think you should be working to salvage that treaty, not burn it to ashes, as I doubt things will go well for those wanting to keep this world intact otherwise.

19 hours ago, SE_Ialai_Sadeas said:

Also, it is important to note that roughly 50% of the original players are either dead or currently ostracized. Any more deaths will put the survivors in a minority.

In a minority to what, exactly?

35 minutes ago, SE_Ivory said:

In a minority to what, exactly?

With 25 starting players, there are 13 left alive.  This means 52% of total players are alive right now.  If one more dies, that percentage goes down to 48%. So a minority of total players would be alive.

37 minutes ago, SE_Ivory said:

The attack on Eshonai bothers me. Remember that the Parshendi where not responsible for the attack on Gavilar, and I think its not unlikely that Venli worked alone, unless someone has proof otherwise? I think you should be working to salvage that treaty, not burn it to ashes, as I doubt things will go well for those wanting to keep this world intact otherwise.

And canonically, they were working against the desolation... Well, all except Venli, but she wasn't either at this point in the story.

Currently living players, and my thoughts on each: 

Myself—I fully trust myself. :P 

Elhokar—Says he has the wincon to help stop the Desolation. I might even believe him, at that. I have no reason to suspect him. 

Jasnah— Seemed to help out Aesudan fairly often. Other than that, not much else to note. 

Ivory—I’m not sure what he has to do with things, but I doubt killing him will stop a Desolation. 

Navani—Has been fairly quiet recently, and also is a part of the women’s circle that helped support Aesudan. 

Ialai—Seems trustworthy. I think helping her with getting her win condition is a good idea for anybody lost as to what they should do with their action. 

Liss—is an assassin, but seems to have honest (ish) motives. I don’t see how she could cause a Desolation.  

Wit—is being Wit. Not a suspect, but more of an annoying fly in need of swatting than a threat. 

Tearim—has been very quiet as of late. I’d like to hear more from him regarding his plans and goals, given that he wasn’t the greatest figure from the books. 

Beggar/His Excellency Jezrien—Seems to be taking the prevention of the Desolation seriously. One of my most trusted people right now, though his presence may signal the coming of the Desolation. 

Ash—Seems inactive. 

Kelek—Basically the same as Jezrien, maybe with a little less trust attached. 

Venli (Ostracised)—Fie upon her.

Klade (I think?)(Is he even alive?)

Adolin, you seem to be casting doubt on the women’s circle for their association with the traitor Asuedan. I wouldn’t be so critical, since Asuedan had been quite convincing (even I was caught unaware). I understand your paranoia, though. 

As for me, with the death of Amaram I am sadly cut off from the Sons, rendering that wincon null and void. However, I am focusing my current efforts on protecting the Heralds, if anyone would like to assist me.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:27 PM, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

Wit—is being Wit. Not a suspect, but more of an annoying fly in need of swatting than a threat. 

"Good luck ever actually swatting me. All of you are much to slow, and I'll see you coming. Furthermore, I am surprised that Nale's death did not end the desolation. Clearly the oathpact has weakened beyond where that can be a solution."

10 minutes ago, SE_Wit said:

"Good luck ever actually swatting me. All of you are much to slow, and I'll see you coming. Furthermore, I am surprised that Nale's death did not end the desolation. Clearly the oathpact has weakened beyond where that can be a solution."

If anything, wouldn't Nale break immediately, causing the desolation to happen immediately, instead of being held off for a couple more years by Taln?

So...I guess I’m king? That job has a pretty low survival rate. 

I think I’mma just stand...over here...Navani would make an excellent Queen, right? I mean, what could possibly go wrong if she took the crown? Totally not trying to deflect the rampant regicide. Nope, not me. Anyway...yeah, see everyone later. If you’re still alive. If I’m still alive. If the Desolation doesn’t come. Lots of “if”s there. Somehow, not liking my chances of survival. Anyway...I have...important business to attend to. Bye!

17 minutes ago, little wilson said:

You're forgetting your cousin, Queen Jasnah. :P

Ah, yes! Much better choice, really. Though I wonder if the devotaries will support her ascension to the throne, given her status as a heretic and apparently a Radiant. If I wasn’t busy fighting for my life right now, why, I’d be wondering if any of Alethkar’s institutions will survive tonight. 

But I’m almost sounding as though I want to be king! That is most assuredly not the case. Hail Queen Jasnah. May your reign be long and prosperous (or at least more long and prosperous than Elhokar’s). 

Let us mourn Elhokar, who was the greatest King we have ever had since 4 hours ago. (All hail Queen Jasnah.)

On another note: both Venli and Elhokar’s deaths prove, unequivocally, that there are some bona fide murderers right now. Multiple. One has been killing off Parshendi, regardless of their activity and ability to affect the game - the other has been killing important people.

So, tonight someone should protect Klade, and someone else should protect the person we find most likely to die. (It might be best to make multiple protects.) And we should start actively searching for the murderer.

Edited by SE_Ialai_Sadeas
Adding Queen to Queen Jasnah

"Clearly someone has it out for the Kholins. Thankfully I have enough knowledge of the court to do a bit of investigating, as soon as I complete my final win condition (other than stopping the desolation). Thankfully, no one wants to kill me or my chull, or seriously they will suffer the consequences."
Then, my brilliant mind clicked and an idea came into my head. "What if we scanned suspicious individuals for how many spheres they have? Don't kills let you get the spheres of the person you murder? So then if we someone has an abnormal amount of spheres, they are guilty. Trust me, even if I'm the only one who comes out of this alive, I still don't enjoy being stabbed, so I have as much interest in finding them as anyone else. Elhokar's death is such a shame I might give a memorial for him if I have a bit of time between stealing all these paint brushes." 

Um, if someone murders Queen Jasnah, will someone pick up my contract with her? Adolin, or Navani perhaps? (the only other living Kholins...) Or Ialai?

Wait, if all of the Kholins die, which seems possible at this point, would Ialai become queen?

Spoiler

People with names crossed out are dead.  I apparently like these lists, so I am going to make another.  This will talk about who killed who, and info on each person.

Gavilar Kholin ----- killed by Aesudan.  Probably led the action.  No known accomplices.
Dalinar Kholin ----- No idea.
Torol Sadeas ------ Ialai killed him accidentally
Meridas Amaram - I fully admit killing Amaram.  I thought it would end the desolation.  I had a couple reasons I suspected him, obviously I was wrong. Didn't want to share this as I thought Darkness would try to lynch me.
Restares ------------ No idea.  Died early on. Likely didn't kill anyone.
Tearim --------------- Wanted to join the SoH.  Would make me suspicious of him, but killing Amaram did nothing, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
Navani Kholin ----- Was in my circle towards the beginning of the game, when I returned from ostracisation, it seemed she moved to a different one.  I have no knowledge on why I should or should not trust her right now.
Ialai Sadeas ------- 
Jasnah Kholin ----- As long as she keeps paying me, I trust her.  Low on my suspect list.
Ivory ----------------- I have no reason to think that Ivory is killing people, as it wouldn't prevent the desolation.  Low on my suspect list.
Elhokar Kholin ---- This just happened, I am in the dark for this one. (It is possible that Elhokar may have been behind at least 1 murder recently)
Aesudan Kholin -- Obviously dead.  Adolin attacked her twice.  First time hit her armour which came up as "protected", second time killed her.
Adolin Kholin ----- I have been working with him since I returned to the hall. Almost every turn there has been proof of what action he took.
Renarin Kholin --- killed by Aesudan.  No known accomplices.
Wit ------------------ No idea.  I just want to point out that having "no idea" what Wit's motives are should put a red flag on him, not make us trust him.
Liss ----------------- Liss seems super trust worthy. 
                            I admitted to the deaths I was involved in, and was ostracized for all the "early" game deaths.  Have solid alibis for each turn.  Don't have time to go                                  into them now, but if someone truly suspects me, I can go into them.
Drunk Beggar ---- Don't know much about DB. Seems unlikely character-wise to be killing people, but I wouldn't rule him out.
Ash ----------------- Haven't heard from lately.  May be inactive, or could be staying out of sight.  Probably inactive though.
Darkness --------- Killed by Adolin and myself while attacking Venli.  We were redirected to him.
Kelek -------------- Had a wincon to protect people. I have no reason to think it was completed.  Not high on my suspect list for now.
Eshonai ---------- Dead.  Don't know who killed her.
Venli --------------- Dead.  Don't know who killed her.
Klade -------------- The parshendi have been a suspect from the beginning.  Venli admits to having a wincon to kill a member of Gavilar's council.  However, I have been told over and over again that people are item or action spying on the parshendi.  And only Nale ever caught anything suspicious.  I don't think they are our main culprits.
Thaidakar -------- First to die I think? No one knows who killed him.
Szeth -------------- I don't think Szeths death is realated.

High Suspect:
Wit, Navani, Elhokar

Medium Suspect:
Ash, Tearim, Klade

"You do realize that
A. Elhokar is dead. He's not very suspicious when he's dead.
B. I have no win conditions that hurt or benefit anyone. I just do my own thing, and help people as I see fit. I have absolutely no interest in all these deaths, plus I have more important actions to be taking than killing people. If I even could kill someone.
So while maybe you shouldn't rely on me, blaming me for all these deaths is very much the wrong path to take."

“Glad to know that I am so unimpressionable that I don’t even warrant an entry. Thought I’d made more of an impact than that, Liss.”

What’s more concerning that everyone alive has either nothing to do with me, or I trust almost completely. So either we have another Aesudan situation going on, or someone is pretending to be inactive while submitting orders, or I’m too trusting. Maybe all three.

People I Know Little About (Or Are Inactive):

1. Tearim - is a SoH, but seems active (posting sporadically).
  2. Navani - I’d hesitate to say that they’re inactive, only that they’re not posting, given past experiences working with them. But then again, I haven’t received contact in a quite a few hours. Beyond that, they are unlikely to be killing off their own family.
  3. Wit - my past experiences with Wit have been interesting to say the least (insult me one more time and I’ll get you beheaded :P) but I will begrudgingly admit that they are unlikely to be working towards a desolation - unless they are supporting another faction. They’re definitely active, though,
  4. Ash - almost definitely inactive, by my guess. Is unlikely to be working towards a desolation as a Herald.
  5. Klade - again, pretty sure they’re inactive.

The thing to note here is that people could be submitting orders and keeping quiet, otherwise they’d have been replaced by more active pinchhitters - I’d say that most of them are submitting actions to some degree. I would therefore like to invite @SE_Navani_Kholin, @SE_Ash and @SE_Klade to share their insightful opinions with us.

People I Knew and Trusted:

1. Jasnah and Ivory - I’m treating these two as one, because unless Ivory got corrupted then I find it unlikely that either of them are working towards a desolation, or are killing Kholins. I’ve also worked with both of them before, but after what happened with Aesudan I wouldn’t call that a persuading factor in either direction.
  2. Adolin - despite past events, I trust Adolin. He seems genuine.
  3. Liss - I’ve worked with her extremely closely for the entirety of the game, so I therefore trust her. Maybe that’s a bad idea, but (ir)regardless. 
  4. Drunk Beggar and Kelek - both of them are unlikely to be working towards starting the desolation, and they both have alibis for the last turn so they definitely didn’t kill Venli.

Finally, we need to understand how many killers there are. I believe that there are two groups - the Parshendi assassins, and the Kholin killers. They may or may not be coordinating. The first killed two Parshendi, two turns in a row. That can’t be achieved by one person - it’s either three, or two people using RP points or items (or luck). Elhokar was killed, requiring at least another person. That means that there are at least three current murderers that pose a serious threat to us. I’d guess more. That means we need to start ostracising - if we don’t, then it’ll be three turns until they outnumber us. 

So, I will be placing a vote on Tearim to get the ball rolling. As a Son of Honor (puportedly), they’d be my first guess as to someone trying to bring about a desolation, and I don’t know anything about their motives, wincons, or supposed alibis.

@SE_Tearim

I don’t have a ton of time right now, but I think it’s worth mentioning that attacks don’t necessarily have to be group actions to succeed. I killed Aesudan twice, and didn’t work with anything except 40% attack odds, and a single Charm action. So while it’s unlikely, attack’s can still be solo vigilante kills. 

Setting that aside, I’m unsure as to which people that are still alive that could possibly be trying to cause a Desolation. The Heralds are a possibility, but they don’t really seem that suspicious, other than a weird feeling I’ve been getting about Kelek the entire game. Tearim could be, as a Son of Honour, but I’d rather hear more from him before making an accusation. (Same goes for Klade as a Parshendi.) I don’t really see any other figure that’s still alive as having Desolation-wanting motives.

1 hour ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

Setting that aside, I’m unsure as to which people that are still alive that could possibly be trying to cause a Desolation. The Heralds are a possibility, but they don’t really seem that suspicious, other than a weird feeling I’ve been getting about Kelek the entire game. Tearim could be, as a Son of Honour, but I’d rather hear more from him before making an accusation. (Same goes for Klade as a Parshendi.) I don’t really see any other figure that’s still alive as having Desolation-wanting motives.

Venli was the last one on my list of possible desolation causers (and before you ask, no, I didn't kill her). It might be that to stop the desolation certain win-cons need to be completed before a certain point in the game. For that to be true, the kill on Elhokar would probably have had to have come from Venli. @SE_Adolin_Kholin, @SE_Liss, could it have been possible for Venli to have attacked Elhokar while she was outside of the palace?

We are not permitted access to the Palace Grounds doc any more, and from what Liss and I have shared with each other it seems that the actions available change every round. Therefore, Venli could have had access to nearly anything yesterday, but the only action that I personally had before that would explain the attack would be if she was allowed to use any action in the game on one of the turns. (I used mine C3 to send the rhyming anonymous message.)