Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

Let me get this straight.

My wife killed my father, and was in turn killed by my cousin who was enraged due to his brother's death. All in less than 8 hours.

I'm starting to see why other cultures think we're "too warlike".

In unrelated news, my wife turned into a raving Eldritch monstrosity,  so I'm hosting a duel for the opportunity to become my new wife. Bring your own blades.

36 minutes ago, SE_Elhokar_Kholin said:

Let me get this straight.

My wife killed my father, and was in turn killed by my cousin who was enraged due to his brother's death. All in less than 8 hours.

I'm starting to see why other cultures think we're "too warlike".

In unrelated news, my wife turned into a raving Eldritch monstrosity,  so I'm hosting a duel for the opportunity to become my new wife. Bring your own blades.

Come now Elhokar, that would just be plain unfair! I would easily dispatch of every other woman in the hall... Not that I am interested in your offer... Just trying to point out the flaws.  OR, what if someone had a shardblade? That would be extremely overpowered.

*sigh* you Alethi...

Wait, is that how you found Aesudan? Just having as many people kill each other as possible?

On another note, has anyone else received help directly from my lord, Odium?  He payed my spying fee for Jasnah.  Pretty cool guy I mean, shard!

Edited by SE_Liss

Just to clarify a few things: The next turn has not technically begun, so don't worry about actions you made yet. The lack of PMs or extra stuff in this writeup does not mean other things didn't happen. It just means that Aesudan died. Orlok and I needed a little more time to solidify the ramifications of that, which real life did not allow for at that time, so rather than hold the cycle for 24 hours, we decided to do this to let you all take care of the Unmade before we get back into the game. Remember: the three players who RP the most and are the cleverest at getting rid of the Unmade will have an additional action next turn. Plus, you'll also all have the RP point boost for however much you RP too. All-in-all a pretty fair deal.

Ialai could not believe her eyes. First, she had hallucinated an inky figure speaking to her throughout the night - now the queen was dead, having been possessed by a Voidbringer! Clearly, Wit had spiked the wines again. There was no other explanation.

“Gather around, everyone,” she said. “We need to find a way to kill this... thing. Maybe one of these... honourblades that others are speaking of may help. And sorry, Elhokar, but I think that dealing with a Voidbringer might be a bit more important than your sudden and pressing eligibility. How do we know that you have not been possessed as well?” 

In truth, though, the reason she was rebelling against the duel was because of Torol. His death has only been a few hours ago, and the wounds from that were still raw - how could Elhokar move on so quickly from a far more horrific and heretical fate?

Navani tried stop shaking.

She was never a cowardly woman. Even when the King himself had been killed, she had remained calm. But now? With men with gemless Shardblades and Aesudan dead and Jasnah having a Shardblade and this talk about Heralds and Desolations? It was a lot. Too much. Navani had a scholarly mind, however, and she would not lose her cool, even if there was an entity of damnation within these very halls.

She looked at Jasnah, at Adolin. She had no idea what had happened to Aesudan, but from the top of her head she could remember that the Unmade may have needed a Bond with a host to work.

She turned to Jasnah, who'd spoken of Heralds and seemed to have Shardblade. Things were getting out of hand. Unmade were figures of myth, the stuff of nightmares? Would Shardblades even do anything. The only way he Unmade had been restricted had been...

Wait.

"Everyon!" Navani shouted, standing up on a table. She internally cringed at the unladylike posture, but the party was in shambles, and she needed to do something.

"The Unmade was trapped in a gemstone before it was freed. Fabrials are my expertise. Perhaps if we distracted the Unmade long enough, presumably with those Shardblades everyone seems to have, we can trap it again?" It was a crazy idea, and yet Navani seemed to like it.

“Distract the Unmade?” Ialai considered the prospect. She wasn’t much of a scholar, but it seemed to make sense. “Perhaps Wit has some particularly innapropriate tales he can tell it. Or maybe someone can start up a shouting match in the corner. What sort of distraction were you planning, Navani?”

Navani hesitated, and then internally scowled at herself. When had she become so hesitant? Perhaps it had something to do with the demonic the entity corrupting the palace.

Hmm. It seemed Navani's sarcasm still worked.

"It seems a lot of people here have Shardblades we have no idea existed. Perhaps them." Her mind wandered to other things. "And the fabrials. The noise fabrial. The broken Soulcaster. The temporal one. These, save for the soulcaster, are remarkable. I didn't know they existed. Noise spren exist? Perhaps these items are special in some way, and are critical in defeating the...thing."

She looked towards the crowd again.

"But distractions are useless if we cannot trap it. I don't know how it got into the Black Sphere, but if someone gave me time, a pencil, and a book on the Unmade I could probably come up with something rudimentary enough to maybe hold it off. Unfortunately, we seem to not have any of those things. It's a shaky plan, but plans are. Besides, if we can fix the Soulcaster Ash gave me, maybe we can Soulcast the Unmade into smoke? Or perhaps we could soulcast a large stone block directly above and it and hope for the best."

She hoped tonight didn't leave a bad impression on the Parshendi. Who was she kidding?

Liss peaked her head around the corner to see what was going on and shouted across the hall, "Well, I have paper and pencil, but I don't know where you would find any info on the Unmade"
Liss swiveled her head quickly to see that Nalan still hadn't moved.

"Perhaps from some of the... More reasonable heralds?"
Liss carefully tore out all of the pages she could find with info of the weeper's contracts on them, and slid the rest of the notebook towards Navani.  She didn't move from her spot though, and went straight back to staring at Nalan, waiting for him to either say something or make the first move.

At least the rest of the people in the hall had yet to notice that a servant girl had a shardblade.  That would throw a wrench in things.

24 minutes ago, SE_Liss said:

Liss peaked her head around the corner to see what was going on and shouted across the hall, "Well, I have paper and pencil, but I don't know where you would find any info on the Unmade"
Liss swiveled her head quickly to see that Nalan still hadn't moved.

"Perhaps from some of the... More reasonable heralds?"
Liss carefully tore out all of the pages she could find with info of the weeper's contracts on them, and slid the rest of the notebook towards Navani.  She didn't move from her spot though, and went straight back to staring at Nalan, waiting for him to either say something or make the first move.

At least the rest of the people in the hall had yet to notice that a servant girl had a shardblade.  That would throw a wrench in things.

I'm not sure, did you see my last post? Sometimes when multiple posts come in around the same time, the new messages function doesn't display them all, which is really annoying.

Navani took the notebook from the servant girl with the Shardblade. With everything going on right now, she wasn't the least bit surprised. Ahead of her, a polished battering ram stood. One of Gavilar's favourites. He liked keeping it on display at fancy events. Now, it was only a sad reminder his existence.

Capturing the Unamade is one task, Navani thought as she hurriedly scribbled in the notebook. Distracting it was quite another. Page after page of prototype idea, each one crowded with Navani's squashed handwriting. She was running out of pages, but she was confident she was onto something.

She was used to having all the time in the world to come up with her ideas, but right now time was like a slippery skyeel, fleeting with each moment. Diagram after diagram, Navani was soon exhausted. She was no soldier. She was no tactician. What did she know of fighting. Violence wasn't her Calling.

No, she told herself. Inventing was.

And Navani scribbled more, concepts of fabrials that were too theoretical to even think about bouncing in her head, and no she came up with something. An idea. A way to distract the Unmade. Something that could actually work.

"Sevrants," she said, motioning to the ones who didn't have Shardblades. "Undo that Battering Ram."

"Qu-Brightness Navani, why?"

"Trust me."

So they unclasped the war machine. It was huge, made to be pushed along by Shardbearers. It was perfect. Pencil still in her hand, Navani sketched out measurements along its side, comparing it to her drawing every now and then. She drew outlines, and mapped out where everything was to be. Now came the hard part.

"Everyone!" She shouted. "I think I have a way of distracting the Unmade. At first, I didn't thrk Shardblades would do the job, and I was somewhat correct. They may be powerful, but this is Unmade. It's the imbodiment of power and then some, and not in a good way.

She motioned to the Battering Ram. "But the complex equations I've been doi have led me to something. You see, while individual Shardblades would be too weak, if we somehow tied their hilts together so that they were all pointing the same way, and arranged all of their points to meet at the same point, we could effectively create a combination of all the Shardblades we have at our disposal, and from the looks of it, it seems we have a lot.

"Attach that to the Battering Ram we have here," Navani concluded. "And we effectively have the power of all our Shardblades in one spot, while maintaining the brute force of a battering ram. If it doesn't kill it, my calculations say it could be enough of a distraction."

Navani raised her voice again. "So, please. All who are this party. Give up your Shardblades, and let us tie the hilts together. You won't be in any danger, as you can summon your Blade back any time. But please, without all of our Blades combining, we won't be able to take this thing down."

Ivory straightened his coat. Being forced into his blade form had been unpleasant and unexpected, but he didn't begrudge Jasnah the act, as it had been necessary as well. Now that he was back into his normal form, he had a couple of things to say though.

He shot a glare in the Direction of Darkness. "You know full well that it wasn't the appearance of the radiant that ushered in the desolation. Desolations don't start when humans found strength. They start when humans found weakness. They started when you became weak. If you want to delay the upcoming desolation, if you want to bring justice to those you've lied to and abandoned, then I suggest you turn that blade of yours upon yourself and give Taln what support your craven heart can give him in these final years."

"And what about you, Jezrien (@SE_Drunk_Beggar)? Will you stand aside as Taln's sacrifice comes undone, or will you aid us in containing this monstrosity?"

For those still unaware of this, there's actually a doc called Shadesmar. If you've got good reason to believe that you need to have access to that doc to deal with the unmade, contact me. I can bring 1-2 more people in there, but it does cost me valuable actions I might need for something else as well.

Adolin looked at Navani doubtfully. Give up my Shardblade? He looked down into his hand, where the Blade still rested; he had not yet dismissed it, as the quarrelling sounds of Jasnah and a hooded man who somehow had a Shardblade drifted over to him. However, that was far from the most important consideration. If what Aunt Navani said was true, they would need all the Shardbearers to unite almost immediately, and be willing to surrender their Blades. Somehow, Adolin found that implausible. 

“Aunt Navani, your plan is certainly an interesting one,” Adolin said. “Yet I do not believe that what you propose would work, simply due to lack of cooperation. Jasnah and the hooded Shardbearer are at each other’s throats, Dalinar is drunk enough that trying to take his Blade isn’t a good idea, and I think the servant girl would be hesitant to surrender her only edge over everyone else. At the most, you may get two Blades from myself and Tearim.” He paused. “However, if all of the Shardbearers went looking for the Unmade and contested it together with their Blades, then six Shardbearers would be a formidable enough force to distract any Unmade for a sufficient time to trap it.” Adolin frowned. “You are trapping it, yes? Regardless, I believe the individual Shardwielders working together will be more effective and mobile than a ram that is slow, lumbering, and unable to respond quickly if the Unmade moves suddenly. Besides, it’ll tear up the palace like nothing else will.”

@SE_Ivory I believe we are destroying the Unmade solely with the force of RP. 

@SE_Adolin_Kholin, Probably, but better to share that info in case someone had an actual win-con involving 'killing an unmade in shadesmar'

6 minutes ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

“Aunt Navani, your plan is certainly an interesting one,” Adolin said. “Yet I do not believe that what you propose would work, simply due to lack of cooperation. Jasnah and the hooded Shardbearer are at each other’s throats, Dalinar is drunk enough that trying to take his Blade isn’t a good idea, and I think the servant girl would be hesitant to surrender her only edge over everyone else. At the most, you may get two Blades from myself and Tearim.” He paused. “However, if all of the Shardbearers went looking for the Unmade and contested it together with their Blades, then six Shardbearers would be a formidable enough force to distract any Unmade for a sufficient time to trap it.” Adolin frowned. “You are trapping it, yes? Regardless, I believe the individual Shardwielders working together will be more effective and mobile than a ram that is slow, lumbering, and unable to respond quickly if the Unmade moves suddenly. Besides, it’ll tear up the palace like nothing else will.”

"I have to agree with Adolin. Navani, your idea isn't bad, but it'd be very difficult to hit the unmade with that ram. Thunderclasts more often died from a dozen cuts than a single strike to the head, and looking for the perfects strike resulted in more radiant deaths than wearing the monsters down."

Edited by SE_Ivory

Tearim looked at Brightness Navani. Strap Shardblades to that? 

“Brightness, the boy is right. If you haven’t seen him with a blade anytime lately, he knows what he’s talking about. If you think that we can use our Blades to slay the Voidbringer, then I believe it would be best to keep them with our best duelists.”

Navani blinked at the Shadow Person that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere, but kept her focus, and understood the words. They made sense. Yes, Navani had been thinking of everything too scholarly and she was grateful the others had told her about the idea's implausibility. She had assumed the optimism results - that people were willing to give their Blades. She needed to practically, like a soldier. These were no longer theoretical endeavours, this was life or death. Already, rumbles could be heard. Yelig-Nar was close.

"You're right. I've been thinking of it wrong. If we got all of our Shardbearers to charge the Unmade, we should be able to distract it enough. But..." She took the time to look each of the Shardbearers in the eye. "You're charging an Unmade. There's no guarantee of survival. Apart from that, factoring in we have some of the best trained warriors and duellists in the country, it should be enough."

She referred back to her notebook. Filled to the brim with designs, she had made new additions. After sending scouts to Cheka on Aesudan's dead body, they'd found the crystals sprouting it to be Amethyst. Essence of foil. Soulcaster of metal. Related to Kalak, the Herald of the Willshapers. Now, each of the pages on Navani's notebook had 'AMETHYST' written in the centre, with ideas branching off it.

The servants had already fetched Navani some books, and she was rifling through them, writing on some of the pages. They could be replaced. All sources has stated you needed to lure a spren to trap it. This was true. She'd seen it herself when they'd captured spren for fabrials. So. What would Yelig-Nar desire. What would be their lure? Sources also stated the mythical perfect gemstone was needed. She doubted such a thing existed, but if there was any night where myths became reali, tonight was it.

Finally, she was done designing. Something. It was all in her notebook, it's design spanning more pages Navani could count. But it was something. "Men and women," she called out. "I have a design that may just work. But we need to build it. We will need as many people as we can - this will be big." She finalised the design in her book, and prayed to the Almighty that it would work.

As she asked for some people to help in the contruction of the fabrial, she beckoned to @SE_Ivory. "I have a task for you," she said in a hushed tone. "It may be dangerous. This Shadesmar place you talk of, would it be possible to steal a perfect gemstone? At all? We need one."

9 minutes ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

As she asked for some people to help in the contruction of the fabrial, she beckoned to @SE_Ivory. "I have a task for you," she said in a hushed tone. "It may be dangerous. This Shadesmar place you talk of, would it be possible to steal a perfect gemstone? At all? We need one."

"Maybe, but it would only be marginally quicker than getting hold of one here.You smut understand, brightlady, Shadesmar is like a mirror to the physical realm. If you know where such a gem would be in the world you know, finding and taking it would be quite doable, but if I need to search for it, it's likely a journey of months." Ivory became silent for a moment, as he thought the problem over.

"Though most Spren have known that something is coming for a while now, so you never know..."

Ah, ok. I was meaning since all the shops in Shadesmar have perfect gemstones (since stormlight is their currency), it would be quick to find. Of course, Navani would never know this. Anyway, the main reason I asked Ivory to get it was because I didn't want our RP to go beyond the palace itself, and so Ivory could get the gem offscreen for ease. If you still think it's not plausible that's fine, I'll have Navani think of something :) 

Navani considered the Shadow's words. All exits out of here, were, unfortunately blocked by the Unmade, so if they were to get a perfect gemstone, it would have to be through Ivory. That, or another idea Navani had that could act as a temporary substitute. Risky.

"Are you sure?' She asked. "Maybe it would be worth taking a look. We are desparate."

Edited by SE_Navani_Kholin

Heh, I read Oathbringer directly after release, and had forgotten that detail. Still, there aren't any spren shops near Kholinar iirc, but I think I can come up with something.

"If one of the other sentient Spren would suspect what might happen here, and more importantly, would care..." Ivory sighed. He didn't like counting on providence in times like these. "I'll take a look around. No promises, and if I'm not back within the hour, you can assume I won't be back with a gem before the next Highstorm."

having said that, ivory crossed over to Shadesmar and started his search.

Thanks. :) 

"Thank you." Navani said as Ivory disapeared. But even though they didn't have the perfect gemstone they could still contruct the base it would sit in. Navani had decided that the base would have to be ,see of smal, fabrials, either for structural integrity, power stability, and obviously, power enhancement. All around her, people buzzed as she oversaw pieces of metal and wood be attached together for the task. A fabrial of fabrials, large as a cart and possibly the most powerful invention yet, in the process of contruction! That would give the Vedens something to be jealous about. But first, they needed to contain this Unamde, otherwise there wouldn't be a Jah Keved the next day. There wouldn't even be a Roshar!

11 hours ago, SE_Kelek said:

Kelek shook in fear. Something had happened... this whole damnation ball had been doomed from the start. People plotting everywhere you looked. It seemed that Death was roaming the halls, killing whoever he pleased. Get a hold of yourself, he thought, You're a storming herald. You need to be a guide to these people. Putting his hand to his side, he started counting his heartbeats. A storm was coming, and he was one of few people who would know how to weather it.

I've decided since that he probably wouldn't canonically have a shardblade, and I may or may not have one in-game, so I'm just going to pretend like that was him trying to get a hold of his nerves.

Finally getting a hold of himself, Kelek ran, searching for his fellow heralds. He may not have any idea what to do, but any of the others were sure to have some kind of a plan. Seeing Nale standing in front of Jasnah, he hurried over. Before coming within eyesight, he stopped and began listening in on what Nale was saying.

"Nalan, I assure you that I am not the enemy here. Before tonight, I did not even know what gave radiants their powers. My father has been killed, and my cousin. Then my other cousin killed my sister-in-law. I wanted none of this, and I would have preferred to just stay in the monastery and study during this entire celebration." 

Jasnah was hoping he could calm the nerves of Nalan a little bit more. But she also began considering escapes. Perhaps in the chaos she could distract Nale long enough to slip away. Or if not, a last resort would be to slip into Shadesmar again. Unfortunately, she did not know how easily she would be able to return now that Ivory wasn't near here. And who knew how long she could be stuck there, while everyone presumed her dead. 

Fortunately, she saw an opportunity. Nale turned his head to as Jasnah suddenly looked past his shoulder as if someone more threatening had approached. At that moment, she quietly slipped into a passing crowd, and kept low, uncharacteristic of her stature and composure. 

She needed to ell Navani what she could do. Jasnah was an elsecaller of the third ideal. And it was only the first night since she'd discovered these powers. Perhaps that would help distract the unmade. 

Venli ran. SHe needed to kill the unmade that was loose. She found the kitchen and pulled out two huge knives. She then ran back. She was ready to fight. She had even been in warform just in case. That was lucky. She rushed toward the creature, knives held out.

This is the last time ever come to an Alethi feast...

Edited by SE_Venli

Jasnah knew that Nalan was searching for her. But she had to speak to Navani. After a few minutes, she finally found her mother near the far end of the hall. He seemed to be directing everything that was going on. Interrupting, Jasnah whispered "Mother, Some believe that it may be necessary to be in Shadesmar in order to destroy this umade. It seems you've sent Ivory off, and we don't know when he'll be back. I can also go into shadesmar, if we deem it necessary. However, I do not know how easily I will be able to return. I may be stuck there for a long time. I would prefer not to do that" But as long as I have stormlight, I've found out that I can soulcast. I do not need one of your fabrials, but I can actually soulcast."

To prove herself, Jasnah picked up a fallen spoon from off the floor. "Watch." 

She changed the spoon to smoke. As it began whisping away. She saw her mother gasp in astonishment. 

"Perhaps we can use that as a form of defense or distraction while we attempt to re-capture this unmade"

Watching the creature coil around the room, Ialai narrowed her eyes.

“Can we go back to the distraction plan? I believe we are all underestimating the power of glyphwards. I shall start scribing one now - perhaps Jasnah can help to light them. Let the power of the Almighty bind the Voidbringer while we strike it down! We’ll never kill it any other way. A chull could dodge a strike from that unwieldy weapon.” She began to get out her brushes, planning to draw the glyph for Power. “Anyone else going to help here?”

Given Ialai is lacking in both weaponry and scholarly wit, this is the best she could come up with. Feel free to shoot her idea down.