Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

2 hours ago, SE_Jasnah_Kholin said:

I hope that clears things up. @Orlok Tsubodai Thank you. Anyway, I am watching the thread, and I will not hesitate to vote for you out of self-preservation at the last minute if needs be. I will withhold though, and vote with you for someone else, if your vote does change. But I see that you also have reasons for self preservation, as the only other vote so far, is against you.

@Orlok Tsubodai, is there a voting minimum?

If not, Jasnah's point about self-preservation is quite valid, and Venli's unexplained vote has the potential to ostracize me. So, it seems entirely fair to return the favor.

Furthermore, by process of elimination, the Parshendi or Navani/Dalinar are the only remaining possible groups to have tried to murder me. And I am reasonably sure that Navani and I have win conditions that coexist well for the time being.

So, I see little reason not to vote for Venli.

It is interesting to note than @SE_Venli also placed a vote against me some time ago, apparently misinformed - when I and others corrected her, she did not retract the vote. Not enough to ostracise me, but it appeared to be an effort to do so nonetheless.

I am not yet calling for ostracisation against her - it’s just that I would be interested to hear her reasoning as to why she is placing such votes. Should no suitable answer arise I may consider joining Aesudan in her vote.

1 hour ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

is there a voting minimum?

There is a two vote minimum, so neither you nor Venli can be ostracised this cycle without additional votes.

Jezrien stumbled towards the center of the room, his movements more uncoordinated than they had ever been under the influence of alcohol. Honour's power purged alcohol from his body, but that same power couldn't cleanse his mind of similarly toxic thoughts. "I would, would like to announce that @SE_Meridas_Amaram has greyshushly agreed to be attack-ed and protected this cycle." Relieved at having delivered his message, Jezrien collapsed on the floor.

LG49/AN3: Hour 8.25 - Interim

Aesudan Kholin glared at the smoke following her. She hadn't anticipated that when she swallowed the sphere. She had anticipated the power - and storms, was it powerful. She felt unstoppable. She was a highstorm, the stormwall itself, bearing down on this foolish treaty. The death of her father-in-law was only the start, and that murder wasn't even something she felt guilty about at this point. Casualties of war and peace. Passion. Yelig-nar had opened her eyes so much.

"I know it was you."

Aesudan froze. And turned around. Adolin. She grimaced. She should've killed him earlier, the prying, meddling kid. A part of her knew when she killed Renarin that Adolin would be a bigger problem for her than Dalinar. Though it didn't take much for Dalinar to not be a problem. Literally. Just give him a couple goblets of violet and he was incoherent. Even to his own son dying. Convenient, that. The other son, however. He was rather like a whitespine that had caught whiff of a meaty morsel. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Adolin's eyes narrowed. "The king. I wonder, how would your husband appreciate knowing you killed his father?"

Aesudan pursed her lips. "I imagine he would be upset, but he would live." She shrugged. "He's king now, after all."

Adolin's hand came out from his side, open, and she knew she only had ten heartbeats. Ten measly heartbeats. Her eye-opening knowledge was reduced to knowing how long she had left to live. Fascinating, that.

Ten heartbeats later, Aesudan was struck down, but Yelig-nar had different plans. He was free.

Aesudan has been killed!

Orlok and I are getting things solidified for the next part of the game for the next 21.5 hours (ish), so we're giving you a partial turn to get some RP (no action submissions for now). The prompt is this: destroy the Unmade. The 3 players who RPed the most (quality and cleverness) will get an additional action for the next turn.

tur_1539727200.png

A cold feeling passed through Jasnah. Something was wrong.

Cutting off a conversation with many of the others at the feast, Jasnah abruptly turned and left the room. She had to find out anything she could about what she knew was in that black sphere. Someone must have released it. 

She noticed her mother, who also recognized something was wrong. "Navani," Jasnah almost shouted. "Come with me. We must stop this. I fear a desolation is upon us, and we are already too late."

Jasnah turned and headed out of the room. Hopefully, Navani was in tow. 

Adolin dropped to his knees. His cousin-in-law, who he often affectionately referred to as “Aunt” Aesudan, lay dead at his feet. Slain by his hand. The Shardblade his father had won for him in the war glistened with blood—black blood—before it slowly hissed off the blade, trailing tendrils of steam as it dissipated into the musty air of the palace. 

A truly insane night, Adolin thought, his head still spinning from his confrontation with Aesudan. That...creature...had not been his cousin’s wife. The black spikes and crystals jutting from Aesudan’s shoulders and head proved that much. Yet it had somehow killed his uncle and brother. And he had killed it, somehow. Storms! Adolin mused, frustrated. Is this all some sick joke? A dream? When will this carnage end? A more disturbing thought followed. Am I next? He certainly wasn’t the most popular, after his earlier, brash considerations to silence his father. Adolin winced again, remembering the beginning of the night, and resolving to put it far from his mind. He had more pressing matters to consider. 

Gavilar was dead. Aesudan, Renarin, several brightlords, all slain. Even servants would not escape the night’s carnage. Somehow, it had to end. Something was controlling this power that had driven Aesudan, and was now driving others as well. The black spikes were an unnatural blemish, but Adolin had no idea what manner of being could control them, or even what they were. He considered asking Jasnah, then remembered sourly that she had often participated in Aesudan’s plots. How could she be fully trusted any longer? Pivoting, Adolin approached Navani, who was weeping. “Aunt Navani,” he began, laying a hand softly on her shoulder. “Do you know anything about the evil that was controlling Aunt Aesudan?”

Edited by SE_Adolin_Kholin
Grammar

Thunder boomed, the hallmark of a coming highstorm. Highstorms are no uncommon occurrence for Alethkar, however the stormwardens hadn’t predicted one tonight. Or tomorrow for that matter. With these thoughts running through his mind, Tearim rushes up the palace stairs.

All but disgraced, faced with the death of King Gavilar on his watch and his failure to solve any of the other murders, Tearim was left with only his most loyal guards. Half of the Cobalt Guard denounced him after Gavilar died and joined Elhokar, and the rest no longer trusted him. Tearim didn’t blame them; he would have done the same. But they would see. Gavilar’s assassin wasn’t gone yet, and he would find them and bring justice to the throne!

As he neared the top of the stairs, he heard voices. Silently, he motioned for the guards to stop.

”He’s King now, after all.” Asuedan. What was she—That traitorous wench! Already summoning his Shardblade, Tearim rushed forwards, but found Adolin already over the once-queen’s body, her eyes smoking.

“Well,” Tearim muttered, “I suppose that is done.” But something stopped him from dismissing his Blade. Were those... crystals jutting from Asuedan’s corpse?

Brightness Navani was there suddenly, at Adolin’s side. Tearim only understood one thing: Voidbringer. 

The Final Desolation has come, just as Gavilar had warned.

Kelek shook in fear. Something had happened... this whole damnation ball had been doomed from the start. People plotting everywhere you looked. It seemed that Death was roaming the halls, killing whoever he pleased. Get a hold of yourself, he thought, You're a storming herald. You need to be a guide to these people. Putting his hand to his side, he started counting his heartbeats. A storm was coming, and he was one of few people who would know how to weather it.

inb4 this whole game was just a trick to get people to write RP for Wilson, El, and Orlok's amusement. :ph34r:

It was at times like this when Jezrien fully understood why he left investigations to Nale. Aesudan had lied to them all, and Jezrien had never once doubted her. At least he hadn't acceded to her request to have the Heralds protect her instead of Amaram. Blightwind free was a terrible thing, but the power of the Unmade within a mortal body was far worse. Bereft of a host, Yelig-Nar could be entrapped again. Jezrien would not let this incident morph into a full Desolation, not while Taln still held out.

Does anyone know why Amaram wasn't attacked? Specifically @SE_Ialai_Sadeas who supposedly led the attack, and @SE_Meridas_Amaram, who shows no signs of surprise from not being attacked.

After Szeth's death, Liss had been on edge.  She had been keeping an eye out for more attacks, but this she didn't anticipate.  She saw a shardblade form out of the corner of her eye, Was this another assassination attempt? Liss could hear her own heart beating loudly and quickly in her ear. 

One...
Liss turned towards the shardblade and saw Tearim charging with his own down the hall. 
Two...
She was the entire rooms length away, she raced towards the others anyway. 
Three... Four... 
At this point in the night, what good was it keeping secret who she was? If she couldn't protect her employer and their interests, it wouldn't matter.
Five... Six... 
Liss had already failed Jasnah so far tonight.  Liss' entire job was to keep an eye on Aesudan in case she tried something like this.  She had killed Gavilar and Renarin.  Both people Liss was responsible for. 
Seven...
This death, no, all the death's tonight, they were all Liss' fault. 
Eight...  
Sure it was Tearim's job, but he didn't have the same training that Liss did.  Mist started to solidify around her hand.
Nine... 
Liss saw Adolin strike down Aesudan, and... Something else? A smoke. No. A Shadow. No. A...
Ten.
A shardblade solidified in Liss' hands as she stopped suddenly, just standing in place.

She didn't understand what was going on.  She had prepared herself for many obstacles she may face in her lifetime.  However a desolation wasn't one of them.  The heralds had saved them... Right? She looked around the room, noticing faces she had overlooked before. faces that, sort of, looked similar to some of the paintings she had seen in the art gallery. No. This couldn't be happening.

Liss fell to her knees, reeling at what she had seen.  She dropped her shardblade which fell a few inches before promptly vanishing. But it was too late.  She had already summoned it, and people would have seen.
She heard Jasnah's voice ringing through the crowd, but couldn't understand what she said.

Edited by SE_Liss

So everyone (pretty much) is in this hall now. Yelig-nar is free, but how are we going to do anything now that its host is dead? The whole thing with Yelig-nar is that it needs a host to do things, and that the host has to swallow a gemstone.

I fear that to truly defeat this foe, the vanquisher will need to travel into Shadesmar.

6 minutes ago, SE_Tearim said:

So everyone (pretty much) is in this hall now. Yelig-nar is free, but how are we going to do anything now that its host is dead? The whole thing with Yelig-nar is that it needs a host to do things, and that the host has to swallow a gemstone.

I fear that to truly defeat this foe, the vanquisher will need to travel into Shadesmar.

I feel like probably only either a shardblade, or living shardblade would be able to deal damage to an unmade (As that is what it took to attack a spren).  We do technically have someone with a living shardblade in shadesmar (in a sense), but I doubt they can summon it (as they are in shadesmar).  That would mean that (assuming a regular shardblade wouldn't work) we need an honor blade. Which we know Szeth had before his death.

Edited by SE_Liss

10 minutes ago, SE_Liss said:

I feel like probably only either a shardblade, or living shardblade would be able to deal damage to an unmade (As that is what it took to attack a spren).  We do technically have someone with a living shardblade in shadesmar (in a sense), but I doubt they can summon it (as they are in shadesmar).  That would mean that (assuming a regular shardblade wouldn't work) we need an honor blade. Which we know Szeth had before his death.

What about Jasnah? I'm not sure if she was fully bonded to Ivory yet... could we make that happen? Because then we would have both a somewhat learned individual on the subject with a living shardblade (or whatever Ivory wants to be).

But yes, we could find the honorblade and hope that works.

3 minutes ago, SE_Tearim said:

What about Jasnah? I'm not sure if she was fully bonded to Ivory yet... could we make that happen? Because then we would have both a somewhat learned individual on the subject with a living shardblade (or whatever Ivory wants to be).

But yes, we could find the honorblade and hope that works.

I was refering to Jasnah when I referenced the person in shadesmar with a living shardblade.  However, in the books, the charecters couldn't summon their shardblades (living or otherwise) in shadesmar, which is why I think (if your guess is correct), we will need the Honor Blade.  My assumption is that it will still be a blade in shadesmar.

Edited by SE_Liss

I... I failed.

Nale saw the spirit of Yelig-Nar leave Aesudan's body... Aesudan? The signs were there, you should have known... and flee. The Unmade had returned. The Desolation was beginning.

But... perhaps there was a chance. If he found the Radiants, stopped them from returning, then perhaps he could avoid the Desolation that was to come... Yelig-Nar was just an advance party in the war before the Everstorm. If he could just ...

It's too late. Better to lead the Radiants - they'll be needed in the coming war.

Yelig-Nar... to trap Yelig-Nar, we'd need a polestone. Nale tried to remember whether the Kholinar treasury held something like that - he couldn't be sure, but it would be a fair guess with all the pillaging that they'd done over the centuries.

He'd seen the Spren - he knew one of the guests here tonight was a Radiant. You shouldn't have dallied as much as you did, or this may have been averted. Inkspren. Which meant that the Herald was probably a scholarly type. Jasnah or Navani, then. But which one? As Nale thought, Jasnah called for Navani and began leaving, Navani following behind.

Follow them... Dispose of them, and perhaps this can all be averted.
They've committed no crime. It would be a betrayal of all I stand for, all I've ever stood for.
There's no time for that now! Act now, or all your work will have been for nothing!

My work has been to uphold law and justice. Without that, what am I?
Two lives. Two lives to potentially save millions. Surely, the outcome is worth the cost.

There wasn't much time - things were coming to a head now - whatever the choice, he had to behave. And if he chose wrong, he'd have an eternity in Damnation to think about his mistake.

Which way? The Radiant, or the treasury?

Nale stayed unmoving for several moments - moments which he didn't have to waste. Then, he took off after the retreating forms of Jasnah and Navani.

And he began to count to ten.

Sorry, Jasnah. Old habits die hard.

Edited by SE_Darkness
Bleh. I said Herald when I meant Radiant.

Liss was shaken, definitly shaken.  But, it wasn't like this hadn't happened before. "pull yourself together Liss, You've been through worse".  She wasn't sure that she had, but she had to tell herself that. She couldn't dwell on anything, resume life, do her job. Liss took a deep breath, and opened her eyes to see dark figure hurriedly move towards where Jasnah's voice had just been.

Wait, was that... Nalan? The herald of justice? It definitely was... maybe.  Liss wasn't sure.  If it wasn't, it could be an ally of Aesudan's, or worse yet, the black smoke. Liss knew Jasnah could defend herself, but a soulcaster wouldn't work against a shardblade, and anyone planning on assasinating nobility would have a shardblade.
if it was Nalan, then he would surely know Jasnah was on his side. And there might be in interesting conversation to eavesdrop on.  Either way, she should follow him. 
If only someone hadn't taken her cloak from when she was ostracized.  She probably could have been much more stealthy.  But cloak or no cloak, she needed to follow.

Liss looked up and saw @SE_Tearim wearing her cloak.  HER cloak.  She and it had gone through so many adventures together.  She would have to get it back from him at some point. :P

Edited by SE_Liss

Jasnah began skimming through books. Finding one that contained ancient Lore of the Knights radiant, and the heralds, she read that they could summon shardblades from their bonded spren. Jasnah had never attempted to do that. How many more oaths must she swear before that became possible. All in one night? Was it even possible to swear that many oaths in one night? 

"Navani!," she exclaimed! "I think I've found something! The unmade in this palace may mean that the desolation is upon us, but fortunately, It doesn't look like it's had time to spread it's influence. I believe this means that the heralds have already returned, and we may be able to stop this desolation before it truly begins if we can locate any of them within this palace" 

As she said, that, a shadow overtook her. Turning, she saw a man carrying a blade. This was not a normal shardblade. There was no gem at the hilt. Instinctively, Jasnah gasped, and reached out her hand, where, immediately, and miraculously a blade of her own formed. 

Jasnah had never fought before, and this man obviously had. So Instead, while still outside the man's range, she stuck both hands, including the blade into the air, and stepped back. "I do not wish to harm anyone! I am merely trying to find out how to stop this desolation. It is obvious that you can overpower me at any moment, so please give me a chance to help." 

Sorry @SE_Ivory for using you as a blade without discussing the matter with you before hand. At this point it is just RP, and I hope you are not upset. 

Edited by SE_Jasnah_Kholin

Liss turned the corner and saw two people with shardblades in their hands.  A rather strange one carried by the person who she thought to be Nalan, the other being Jasnah.  When did Jasnah get a shardblade? Good for her! Liss always knew she liked that woman.

As Jasnah didn't seem to need Liss' help and was trying to talk instead of fight, Liss reached her hand out as if to summon her blade but didn't. and she waited in case she was needed.

@SE_Jasnah_Kholin, Perhaps my assistance is not needed, I didn't realize you could (or would) summon your shardblade.   : )

Edited by SE_Liss
minor edits for grammar/sounding better/more clear

"The time for help is over, Radiant. The best hope now is that you go peacefully. It's the only way to avert what is to come." Nale said, careful to keep all hint of doubt out of his voice. "I, Nale, Herald of the Justice hereby declare the state of Alethkar to be under martial law due to the death of King Gavilar Kholin and release of the Unmade Yelig-Nar. And, for the protection of the people of Roshar, I hereby sentence Jasnah Kholin, Radiant, to death."

Edited by SE_Darkness
Radiant. I meant Radiant. Why do I keep typing Herald?!

*Liss coughs loudly to draw attention*, "Oh just-merciful-herald-brightlord-sir, I think you must have some mistake. 
First, I can't tell if you keep calling Jasnah a herald, or if you are talking to yourself.  Either way, mistaken identity or mistaken... something.
Second, you tell her to go peacefully, but the sentence her to death?
And third, the death of a random person will not protect the kingdom.  You call yourself the herald of justice, yet there is no trial! At least the kings of Alethkar have trials, even biased ones though they are.

"Do you not think it better of both of our time to find the other people responsible for Gavilar's death? It probably took at least 2 people..."

With that, Liss' shardblade appeared at her side. She rammed it into the wall behind her.  And leaned her shoulder casually on the protruding hilt, ready to pull it free and fight at a moment's notice.

Edited by SE_Liss

First, I can't tell if you keep calling Jasnah a herald, or if you are talking to yourself.  Either way, mistaken identity or mistaken... something.

Yeah, I keep doing that by accident - I need more sleep. :P But yeah, I think I've gone back and fixed all of those. Sorry. (To be clear, I meant Radiant, not Herald, but I'm a klutz.)

"You call yourself the herald of justice, yet there is no trial! At least the kings of Alethkar have trials, even biased ones though they are." The servant girl (with a Shardblade?) kept speaking, but Nale barely heard the words. He'd seen the signs for the returning Desolation, and the only hope of prevention had lain with the 

Nale looked ahead, and to his surprise, the tip of his raised sword was shaking slightly. Surely... Surely I'd done the right thing. Surely the death of a few would save so many more. And then, as time went on, surely it was always worth just a few more, or else all his grisly work - all his endless hours staving of the Desolation - would have been for nothing. He thought back, and realised he could no longer remember how many, in all these years, he'd executed, for the sake of Roshar.

You call yourself the Herald of Justice... The girls words echoed around in his head.

Could he turn back now? Should he? If he stopped now, then hundreds, possibly thousands, of lives, would have needlessly slaughtered by his hand. If he was truly the Herald of Justice, then surely his only option was to double down and carry through with his task, especially at this critical juncture.

"I've done what I've had to do, for the good of Roshar. I've seen what comes next from this, and I swore an oath that I would do what I could to prevent it." An oath you broke so many years ago, leaving Taln... Poor Taln... The first in a long line of sacrifices I've made for the greater good. "I need... Alethkar needs... to destroy the Radiants, before they bring another Desolation upon us."