Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

14 hours ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

Aesudan wandered off towards one of the servants' corridors, relieving a passing attendant of a glass of quality blue. For some reason, all the violet wine seemed to be missing from the party. She meandered down the corridor, and came face to face with one of the servants. Aesudan couldn't remember the girl's name; she couldn't be bothered to keep track of the hundreds of servants that milled about in the party. Although that business with the Shin servant had been strange in a lot of ways. In any case, there was something strange about this particular servant as well.

"What was that note you swiped off uncle Dalinar's table?" she asked sweetly.

Liss jumped when she heard someone speak behind her, "What was that note you swiped off uncle Dalinar's table?", Liss turned toward Aesudan, it would be bad etiquette to run, and she had already been thrown out once tonight.  Anyway, she was in a servant's corridor, the only place she could run was farther down, towards more people.  She pulled out the crumpled note, noticing that her dress was now stained with violet wine. She unfolded it slightly with the words facing away from Aesudan. She was relieved to see that a couple words were unreadable due to the wine, but just from glancing, she wasn't sure if that would necessarily help.

"Brightlady, it is just paper covered with wine. I figured that whoever's this is, would not wish to have something such as this at their seat. So I am going to get rid of it so that it is in no ones way..."

Liss hoped that Aesudan wouldn't ask to see the note.  If she did, Liss would either have to run, or show it to her.  Was Aesudan trustworthy? Liss doubted it as Jasnah had asked Aesudan to be spied upon when the feast began.  Though then again, Jasnah didn't want her dead, just spied upon, so perhaps there were worse people to find her secret?

1 hour ago, SE_Liss said:

Liss jumped when she heard someone speak behind her, "What was that note you swiped off uncle Dalinar's table?", Liss turned toward Aesudan, it would be bad etiquette to run, and she had already been thrown out once tonight.  Anyway, she was in a servant's corridor, the only place she could run was farther down, towards more people.  She pulled out the crumpled note, noticing that her dress was now stained with violet wine. She unfolded it slightly with the words facing away from Aesudan. She was relieved to see that a couple words were unreadable due to the wine, but just from glancing, she wasn't sure if that would necessarily help.

"Brightlady, it is just paper covered with wine. I figured that whoever's this is, would not wish to have something such as this at their seat. So I am going to get rid of it so that it is in no ones way..."

Liss hoped that Aesudan wouldn't ask to see the note.  If she did, Liss would either have to run, or show it to her.  Was Aesudan trustworthy? Liss doubted it as Jasnah had asked Aesudan to be spied upon when the feast began.  Though then again, Jasnah didn't want her dead, just spied upon, so perhaps there were worse people to find her secret?

Aesudan noted the ink showing through the wine-soaked parchment, and raised an eyebrow.

Curious, seeing as Dalinar couldn't read.

Perhaps it was just a piece of trash, and yet the servant seemed ill at ease. It probably didn't hurt to double check, right?

"May I?"

Aesudan reached out for the paper scrap.

I would RP this cycle if I had a bit more time, but unfortunately the cycle is about to close, and I want to get at least one post in. 

My inthread activity has been fairly low, but I’ve been talking in docs, and I’ll reply to PMs if anyone wants a conversation with me. Most of the action, for good or for ill, seems to be happening there.

I know people have been wondering about Elhokar’s wincon being to avenge Gavilar, and whether or not he may have been telling the truth. After a bit of consideration, I have decided to step forward and proclaim that I have the same win condition, and that I am looking for Gavilar’s killers. I mainly stayed quiet because I didn’t want to put a target on my back if Gavilar’s murderers were looking to stay hidden by eliminating those hunting them, but it is hopefully close enough to the end of the cycle that orders will be relatively cemented. Hopefully this will lend additional validity to Elhokar’s claim, and also encourage others who may be working towards the same end to step forward.

24 minutes ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

Aesudan noted the ink showing through the wine-soaked parchment, and raised an eyebrow.

Curious, seeing as Dalinar couldn't read.

Perhaps it was just a piece of trash, and yet the servant seemed ill at ease. It probably didn't hurt to double check, right?

"May I?"

Aesudan reached out for the paper scrap.

Liss handed over the paper, still folded up to Aesudan.  Just reading it, the note in of itself would not connect the Weeper to her.  

"May I fetch you anything in the mean time? I see you have run oit of violet wine?".

Aesudan inspected the note. Wine had obscured most of the content... But she could make out that it was signed "the Weeper." Her eyes widened fractionally. Aesudan had heard of the Weeper, who hadn't? The assassin who cared not for the color of your eyes, that supposedly carved the eyes from his victims.

Frustrating. She couldn't decipher the rest of the note. And yet, Aesudan couldn't shake the feeling that this servant knew a little more than she let on. Was she trying to protect the Weeper, for some reason?

"May I fetch you anything in the mean time? I see you have run oit of violet wine?"

"Yes, please," Aesudan said gratefully, holding out her glass. She would take the delay to think things over. If this servant did in fact know anything, Aesudan didn't want to say something rashly and make the girl clam up.

Navani walked with a worried air. Aesudan, attacked? It was bad enough the current King was dead, attacking the new queen would be the next worst thing.

New queen.

It didn't take long for Navani to accept she was no longer queen, no longer had the benefits of being such. She was simply another brightness now, albeit a high one. Still, she hoped she could guide the current queen to the right path.

So, if anyone's worrying about the state of the Balck Sphere don't. We currently have a way to steal the Sphere off of whoever has it and we currently have a way to destroy it with relative ease. We just need to know who has it. 

Last round I item-scanned Ash and came up with a Grey Cloak, but no Sphere. The Sphere is a very pressing issue, and I have reason to believe it will play a large part in the future of this game. We wouldn't want an Unmade escaping, would we? So please, regardless of wincon, item-scan someone today. You can say who you're scanning in-thread, since scanning comes before passing items. Once we know who has the Sphere we can destroy it for good.

It is I, the demonic looking dog with the power to not look like a demon but instead whatever the RP was for me beforehand. That RP was all a rouse, and now I have to come to show my true form.

Or not, one can never be sure.

Anyway, let's all be anonymous and stuff. I definitely don't know you who are, and you definitely don't know who I am.

At a point such as this in the game, I find it helpful for everyone to write a summary (preferably without reading the rest of this thread) about what they think has gone on in this game so far. Definitely. For sure.

Anyway, do stuff.

14 minutes ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

Navani walked with a worried air. Aesudan, attacked? It was bad enough the current King was dead, attacking the new queen would be the next worst thing.

New queen.

It didn't take long for Navani to accept she was no longer queen, no longer had the benefits of being such. She was simply another brightness now, albeit a high one. Still, she hoped she could guide the current queen to the right path.

"I hate to be so paranoid, Brightlady, but do you have any proof we can trust you? Your husband seemed to be involved with some kind of group that attacked your daughter, ostracised me from the party, and, I've heard whispers, they wished to return the Unmade in some kind of foolhardy attempt to bring back the Heralds in turn.

I will most likely item scan someone today, if I do not see something more urgent I'd like done, but I am not certain whether I should trust you with the results. Do you have any guarantee you will destroy the Black Sphere like you say you will, and that this will destroy the Unmade, not release it, as you say?"

A few facts:

1. I was attacked. I don't know by who, but I have some guesses.
  2. I was protected. I don't know by who, but I have some guesses.
  3. I was roleblocked. I don't know by who, but I have some guesses.

A few more facts:

1. Last cycle I explained that I had finished my previous win condition, that my next one was quite difficult, and that I would be gambling soon unless something changed.
  2. I wanted to avoid outing my win condition in-thread, because it had the potential to make Gavilar's killer and friends decide to target me. Namely, I am now searching for the Black Sphere, which has apparently been spirited away by Gavilar's killer.
  3. However, I did tell some people privately. I told Jezrien, Adolin, Jasnah, and Ivory. Jezrien+Adolin are both working with the rest of the Heralds, and Jasnah+Ivory are closely affiliated, so basically I told two coalitions about my situation.

And a few suspects:

1. Jasnah and Ivory.
    • They are one of the two parties I explained my objectives to. Also, it kind of has to be a group of people that attacked me, because I was both attacked and roleblocked, and one person could never have pulled that off. I could very easily see Navani agreeing to help these two, given their collaborations in the past and similar motives.
    • They have strong motives to kill both Gavilar and myself, as it is very possible Gavilar and I would have eventually used the Black Sphere for similar ends (btw, for the time being I have literally no idea why I am supposed to obtain the Black Sphere, and I have no reason to believe that my win condition will be to unleash the Unmade in the Black Sphere once I find it).
    • Also, I am in a doc with them both, and they were talking a lot less in it last cycle. Which makes me think they might have outsourced their planning to PMs to cut me out of the loop.
  2. The Heralds.
    • They are the only other people who I told my win condition to, and thus pretty much the only people I can imagine would have any reason to want to kill me.
    • They are one of the only coalitions that is big enough to field the kind of move that was just made against me. 
    • I was planning on working with them on something last cycle, but then last-second their plans changed and they were no longer going through with the original plan. So I kind of wonder what they did last cycle instead.
  3. An uknown party. I can't discount that there's something completely off my radar. Although given the thorough nature of the attack on me I am also skeptical that it is somebody I am not even aware of. It also probably wasn't anybody who was paying very much attention in the Women's doc, because if so they would have known I had no idea what action to take last cycle, and wouldn't have bothered roleblocking me.

Whoever wants me dead, know that I am planning on gambling this cycle, and that this will probably kill me more thoroughly than you are apparently capable of doing. I would also be very interested to know why you wanted me dead in the first place, because I've been trying very hard not to step on anybody's toes in light of the fact that I was given one of the least likeable characters in the cast. And I'm kind of miffed that somebody decided to expend ~5 seperate actions just to screw me over.

Edited by SE_Aesudan_Kholin
completed post after accidentally posting it half-finished

33 minutes ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:
  • I was planning on working with them on something last cycle, but then last-second their plans changed and they were no longer going through with the original plan. So I kind of wonder what they did last cycle instead.

I can't speak for any of the other Heralds - I can confirm for myself that I was working on completing my own win cons. That said, I can't think of a likely candidate in the Heralds, much less a coalition of them, who'd want you dead.

35 minutes ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

The Heralds.

• They are the only other people who I told my win condition to, and thus pretty much the only people I can imagine would have any reason to want to kill me.
  • They are one of the only coalitions that is big enough to field the kind of move that was just made against me. 

Only one of the other Heralds actually showed up last cycle, and even that one was unable to participate in the mass protect due to IRL reasons. I cancelled the plans two hours before rollover because of the lack of activity meant we could not ensure our target's protection, and because the Heralds with relevant win conditions wouldn't have completed them. @SE_Wit and I were the ones to roleblock you, as Wit had to roleblock someone, though I do not know why he specifically chose you. I also do not know whether Wit knew of the plan to attack you.

Beggar could barely remember the last time he'd spent so much time awake without consuming any alcohol. Suppressed memories were bubbling up to the surface of his mind, as was the crippling madness that pushed him to drinking in the first place. Beggar, Jezrien, didn't know how much longer he could last without wine. Every sound echoed with the memory of ten simultaneous screams. The smell of meat entered his nostrils as sizzling flesh as it sloughed off his body. And when he closed his eyes, he saw only flame. Jezrien would help the Heralds. He owed them that. Just another few hours, and then he could rest.

I can confirm that the Herald group was not involved - I was discussing being part of the plan, and when we realised we didn’t have enough people at that stage we decided to postpone instead of going ahead and possibly botching the plan. I encouraged this, because it suited me to assist this turn. As far as I am aware the decision to postpone was not motivated by any other plans in any way.

5 hours ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

And a few suspects:

1. Jasnah and Ivory.
    • They are one of the two parties I explained my objectives to. Also, it kind of has to be a group of people that attacked me, because I was both attacked and roleblocked, and one person could never have pulled that off. I could very easily see Navani agreeing to help these two, given their collaborations in the past and similar motives.
    • They have strong motives to kill both Gavilar and myself, as it is very possible Gavilar and I would have eventually used the Black Sphere for similar ends (btw, for the time being I have literally no idea why I am supposed to obtain the Black Sphere, and I have no reason to believe that my win condition will be to unleash the Unmade in the Black Sphere once I find it).
    • Also, I am in a doc with them both, and they were talking a lot less in it last cycle. Which makes me think they might have outsourced their planning to PMs to cut me out of the loop.

I actually item-scanned Venli this cycle with Liss' help, coming up with forged letters, and nothing else. Jasnah worked with someone on an item-scan of her own (she'll probably be by to share results to prove her not being involved son enough). The reason we talked less in the doc was because the extra help wasn't in there, so the planning happened in PM's.

Attacking you to stop you from getting the black sphere is also rather counter-productive. After all, we only need to get it before you do to ensure its destruction, and attacking you doesn't help with getting it. Likewise, if we had been the ones to attack Gavilar, we'd have destroyed the sphere cycles ago, and probably completed our final set of win-cons.

Edited by SE_Ivory

11 hours ago, SE_Ivory said:

I actually item-scanned Venli this cycle with Liss' help, coming up with forged letters, and nothing else. Jasnah worked with someone on an item-scan of her own (she'll probably be by to share results to prove her not being involved son enough). The reason we talked less in the doc was because the extra help wasn't in there, so the planning happened in PM's.

Attacking you to stop you from getting the black sphere is also rather counter-productive. After all, we only need to get it before you do to ensure its destruction, and attacking you doesn't help with getting it. Likewise, if we had been the ones to attack Gavilar, we'd have destroyed the sphere cycles ago, and probably completed our final set of win-cons.

This checks out with claims I've gotten in PMs. Tentatively, Jasnah.

@SE_Wit and I were the ones to roleblock you, as Wit had to roleblock someone, though I do not know why he specifically chose you. I also do not know whether Wit knew of the plan to attack you.

Thank you.

@SE_Wit, that was rather rude of you.

In any case, if anybody involved in the attack contacts me and explains themselves, it is safe to say that I will not hold the past against them, and that I would even consider repaying them. But, that offer is only extended to the first taker.

Jezrien continued to deteriorate rapidly. All these years to recover and heal, and he was even more fragile than he'd been when he sentenced a friend and colleague to perpetual torment. He had shattered more than one oath that day. The Words of his adopted order didn't care that sacrificing one man safeguarded the lives of all other humans and singers. The Words saw only that he had placed expediency over honour, and the repercussions followed him across millennia. Without alcohol to dull his madness, he was rendered incapable of performing the simplest of actions requiring thought. Jezrien was too far gone for wine to restore him to blissful insanity, now only two instincts warred for dominance. The first urged him to give up and accept that he had lost, the second demanded him to stand up and shield the Heralds in a way he hadn't been able to in Damnation. Dazed, Jezrien lacked the strength to resist either impulse. He would help the Heralds, yes, but he would no longer avoid death. Perhaps he could find peace by embracing his old burden.

Jasnah, I seem to have caught you in a lie. You told me last cycle you Item Scanned the Blind Beggar, and that the only item he possessed was Violet Wine.

But I talked to @SE_Drunk_Beggar, and that was the correct scan for the Drunk Beggar's items on cycle 7. But he passed off the Violet on cycle 7 to @SE_Adolin_Kholin, and did not have it during cycle 7.5, which is when you are claiming to have scanned him. So, you weren't scanning Drunk Beggar last cycle like you said you were.

You were free to refuse to say what you were doing last cycle if you wanted privacy, but you instead chose to give me a false alibi. I trusted you enough to contact you privately about this discrepency, and you denied it. It seems highly probable that you were either attempting to murder me last cycle, or doing something equally unsavory.

So, those are the facts. Other people can make of them what they will.

@SE_Venli why?

By virtue of having two active GMs working autonomously, and an incredibly complicated game with some automated parts, it is an inevitability that we will make mistakes. In this case, despite wishing not to confirm actions being taken or not, I feel we must step in to correct one such a mistake. Unfortunately, after Drunk Beggar passed Violet Wine, I forgot to remove it from his inventory, leading to Jasnah being informed that Drunk Beggar had Violet Wine.

I hope that clears things up. @Orlok Tsubodai Thank you. Anyway, I am watching the thread, and I will not hesitate to vote for you out of self-preservation at the last minute if needs be. I will withhold though, and vote with you for someone else, if your vote does change. But I see that you also have reasons for self preservation, as the only other vote so far, is against you.