Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

1 hour ago, SE_Adolin_Kholin said:

“What does any of this mean? Do you know what the Heralds are planning, or why they would promote such a twisted system over justice and order?”

The announcement had served its purpose it seemed, for the guests took notice of it despite the news of the Shin's death. The message provoked its share of confusion as well, no doubt a function of having only one contributor socially allowed to write. Beggar regretted relinquishing his anonymity, but he couldn't let ignorance lead to the death of innocents.

This is essentially the same plan as the time Gavilar attacked me and Kelek roleblocked him. I thought we were done with that, but then it turns out that @SE_Kelek has to save two people from dying. Another Herald has to participate in an action with all the other Heralds, so we're cooperating for a collective protection action. As all the Heralds are participating in the action, and Kelek specifically has to save people from death, we would need volunteers to attack someone in order to meet Kelek's win condition. Anything other than that is a bonus, though people with win conditions requiring them to cooperate, attack, or defend are welcome to provide additional assistance. We don't even technically need a volunteer willing to be the target, as we can always nominate one of our own, but signing up to be the target is a low-risk method to receive items and favors without having to use up an action.

Thanks for the list, Eshonai.

On heralds: Darkness wanted to kill radiants, but everyone else seemed content with the state of things. Not sure they had much motive.

On parshendi: they wanted to disrupt the treaty to prevent the return of their Gods. Blaming things on Szeth does not exclude them.

On myself: I'm not so hungry for responsibility that I would murder my own father at the most important feast of the century.

For more concrete proof, I have a goal to identify Gavilar's killer. Do any other people have this goal and can confirm? (This might be a general goal set for all non-murderers once Gavilar dies.)

From my perspective, the parshendi are still the most likely culprits. They had the means and motive to kill Gavilar, as well as having no non-parshendi witnesses.

@SE_Elhokar_Kholin

Darkness was ostracized.  It wasn't him.

Can we please discuss not the parshendi? Unless you have a specific question for them, it doesn't do us any good to keep reminding each other that they have a motive.  If you check the list I made, I put people into a group of everyone who (i can think of who) may have had a motive to kill Gavilar.  The parshendi are in there as they definitely did.  But as the action Item Scan triggers before deaths or item transfers (as confirmed by @SE_Ivory), we know for a fact that Szeth didn't lead an action to kill Gavilar, as (if I remember correctly) all items go to the one who led the action.  And we know that Szeth did not have Gavilar's items.  I would say that there is a slightly more than 25% chance that Szeth would be the one to lead an action against Gavilar if the parshendi were to attack him.

Anyway, if all we do is keep reminding ourselves that the parshendi might be the culprits, in case they are not, we will give the actual ones 2-3 turns without having to worry about people on their backs.

Also, like Ialai said, "not all alibis are created equal".  Elhokar, I could say I have the wincon to catch the killer.  And no one could prove I didn't (except the people I told I didn't have that wincon).  You could be lying, so this is hardly "concrete" evidence.  Though before you address this: Yes, I know it is very like your character to want to avenge your father's death... but just saying, if you had killed him, you wouldn't have been the first person in this game considering killing his own father...

In summery: I think the parshendi are serious suspects that cannot be dismissed yet.  However, there are many more people on my list of people with motive who haven't responded to it.  Before we accuse anyone of being guilty, we should either have quality evidence, or quantity of evidence to sort through.  I don't think we have either.

Edited by SE_Liss

@SE_Elhokar_Kholin  I'm actually glad to hear the wincon come out.  That actually soft clears you for me.  To expand on that, I was given a one-time action to identify, as was Klade (Venli hasn't responded in turn yet).  Assuming you have the same thing, that should soft clear me for you.  (I'm sure I'm taking a slight risk coming out with this information, but if everyone has the same wincon, action, it really doesn't matter too much)

If that's not enough, though, remember that we still haven't reached the interactions in the book where the Parshendi would think it's necessary to kill Gavilar.  Namely, Gavilar would have had to come to me to express his interest in returning the old gods.  This did not happen, although, I don't really have any proof either way.  I'd imagine, however, that it would have had to have been at least after the black sphere was studied.  Not sure if enough information actually came out of that study (yes, I know, this doesn't really go anywhere...but it's important to remember that the Parshendi did not plan on killing Gavilar until certain events happened.)

1 hour ago, SE_Wit said:

“Hello. If someone needs to complete a win condition, could you please contact me immediately? I will help you.”

"As you may have already heard, the Heralds are looking for assistance. We are accepting volunteers to attack or be attacked. The payment you receive for joining is up to you. It may be possible to send any volunteers PMs if nobody claims the emerald broams."  

I want to point out @SE_Wit, you are in my neutral group in Gavilar's assassination.  You have yet to provide an alibi for either Gavliar or Szeth's deaths.  I would appreciate it if you could give us at least one for Gavilar's.

41 minutes ago, SE_Wit said:

“Specifically I need to work with someone to complete an action that completes their win condition.”

I will be completing my current wincon this turn.  If you provide an alibi, you may join me. There will be a 100% chance of success, so I can guarantee your wincon would be completed (I am assuming that what you say above refers to your wincon).

3 hours ago, SE_Elhokar_Kholin said:

Eshonai, Thanks! I feel like this is a leap forward in our investigations. @SE_Liss, I know you were out of the palace, but did you get any new goals once Gavilar died?

I have not gotten any new goals since Gavilar died.  Perhaps if your theory is correct, I will get a similar wincon after this turn.  Or perhaps you need to complete a certain number of wincons before you would get that one... 

Edited by SE_Liss
text editer being buggy

Jasnah decided it was time to speak up again. "It's been an hour since my father was murdered and about 3 hours since the attempt on my own life. It's time we get to the bottom of this. Many people have been investigating my father's assassination. If anyone has any new relevant information regarding his death, please speak to me directly"

The palace guard had not done their job. And they were doing a bad job at finding the culprit too. I had better have elhokar get a new guard force as his first order of business as new king.

Liss didn't want to disturb the silence.  It would draw too much attention to her.  Not that she couldn't avoid it if she felt she needed to, but it was just too much effort.  Lukily for her, Jasnah did it for her.

Jasnah was thinking.  Liss could tell.  She almost went over to talk about her replacing Tearim as the new guard.  But then she realized what role she was thinking of.  Standing all day, following around a Brightlord... How incredibly boring.  No wonder Tearim kept falling asleep on duty.  One person, on duty 24/7/365.  She honestly couldnt blame him, even though it did result in the deaths (and near deaths) of several people.

Back to her job.  Jasnah was paying her to keep an eye out for threats to her family after all.  As she was walking around the hall, she passed by Dalinar's spot at the high table.  She noticed a peice of paper covered in wine.  Curious, she picked it up to read it.  It was a message from the "Weeper"? Wait, what was that doing here? She didn't pass this on to Dalinar...

Liss hurriedly stuffed the text into a hidden pocket, and walked off as unconspicously as possible.  She would have to consider this later. Right now, she had a job to do.

Navani Kholin spoke up:

"Due to our studies of the Black Sphere, my current goal is to destroy it. How this is done, I do not know. I don't know if destroying is a specific thing I can do, or whether it just means that I attack it. Unfortunately, my chances of succeeding in attacking anything are very low, so I seek assistence from anyone. It's quite possible that the murderer has the same goal, to destroy the sphere, and had to get it off Gavilar the only way they knew how. This still means that Gavilar should be avenged. But will any help me in the destruction of the Unmade?"

Welp.

I finished my redirect win con, and the current situation makes my new one pretty much impossible.

I'll take my time RPing and hoping something comes up. But then I'm gonna try my luck gambling.

"@SE_Wit, I'm bored. I think you might be, too. Or at least, I haven't recently seen you pull any of the childish pranks you usually amuse yourself with, and I very much hope none of the recent happenings are one of your tricks.

And so, Wit, I challenge you to a battle of wits!

Whoever is first left speechless is to be the victor, or alternatively, ties can be decided by bystanders. I'll wager you an emerald broam. The first move will be yours, as I am sure you will need all the help you can get.

Do you accept?"

Make literally whatever you want of that :)

I like to try to start things with RP when it gets this quiet.

1 hour ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

"@SE_Wit, I'm bored. I think you might be, too. Or at least, I haven't recently seen you pull any of the childish pranks you usually amuse yourself with, and I very much hope none of the recent happenings are one of your tricks.

And so, Wit, I challenge you to a battle of wits!

Whoever is first left speechless is to be the victor, or alternatively, ties can be decided by bystanders. I'll wager you an emerald broam. The first move will be yours, as I am sure you will need all the help you can get.

Do you accept?"

“I would, but it would be extremely one sided. Furthermore, I’m going to tell a story soon.”

2 minutes ago, SE_Jasnah_Kholin said:

"How is it that you focus on story telling when there is treason going on everywhere you turn! Not only do you focus on story telling, you tease about it, and never get around to actually telling that story" 

“Hey, whenever you want to try to be me, have at it!”

How the Heralds had fallen in the last four and a half thousand years. Beggar supposed the guests had reason to act as they did; it had been millennia since nine of the Heralds had helped humanity in any meaningful way. Not yet useless perhaps, but protecting individuals from attack was trivial compared to ensuring the continued survival of Roshar's human population. The one Beggar had abandoned warded off more harm with his mere existence than Beggar could ever hope to prevent here in Alethkar. He had to try, though. He had betrayed one Herald long ago, but here, now, he had a chance to make up for that, at least a little bit. 

I stood up on top of my chull of speaking. 
"Once there was a bunny and a turtle."
I stopped for a moment, then realized that Roshar didn't have bunnies or turtles.
"Sorry, there was a chull," I looked down at the chull that was now sleeping, "and a whitespine. The whitespine had snuck up on the chull, but the chull was slightly smarter than your average chull, and began to converse with the whitespine. 'You old whitespine, you've been pursuing me for many years. I feel like we should resolve this in a civilized manner.' 
The whitespine considered. 'Ok. I'll challenge you to a duel. If I win, I get to eat you. If you win, I'll leave you alone for forever.'
'Ok,' said the chull. 'As you chose the manner, I will choose the contest. I challenge you to a race. A race across the plains of Alethkar.'"
The crowd of nobles finally began to recognize the vague images I was creating with the dust from the chull and the various other particles the party had made a mess of. A chull, and a whitespine, poised to cross the plains.
"The whitespine was confident of victory, and promptly started running at top speed when the appointed time came, only sparing a glance for the lumbering chull behind him. 'I can probably run all the way across and come back to eat him before he gets halfway!' And so the whitespine ran."
"Unfortunately for the whitespine, the chull happened to be good friends with the Stormfather, who agreed to give the intelligent chull some aid. Before half the day was out, the whitespine saw a highstorm approaching. Realizing his vulnerability on the open plains, he dashed back, past the chull, to where shelter lied. He waited out the highstorm inside a cave near where they had started the race, and then took off once it had passed. The chull had easily survived the highstorm, but had only made it a little farther. Confident in there being no more highstorms, the whitespine blew by the chull once again, making it farther than he had before. But then he sensed that all was not right, and looked behind him. Another highstorm was blowing in."
"Once again the whitespine retreated, significantly exhausted by sprinting back and forth so many times. Realizing that the stormfather was helping the chull, he decided to wait until the chull got farther along, then catch up and win before the a highstorm could come upon him, driving him back. And so highstorm after highstorm passed, and the chull trudged along the landscape as the whitespine hid in the cave. When he figured the chull had gotten far enough along, he summoned his energy and ran across the landscape one last time."
"Unfortunately for the whitespine, the chull had been intelligent enough to forsee this tactic, and the Stormfather had prepared one last highstorm to send the whitespine back, giving the chull the time it needed to finish the race. But the whitespine would not give up! He faced the highstorm, and decided to wait it out like the chull had been. But without the safety of a chull shell, the whitespine was tossed across the flat plains of Alethkar. When the highstorm passed, the whitespine no longer had any idea where it was, and the chull was victorious against the whitespine."
I almost ended it there, but couldn't resist one last addition. "Of course a week later, a noble decided to hunt the starving whitespine, who killed him and his entire hunting party. Make of that as you will." 

Edited by SE_Wit
fixing characters

Aesudan wandered off towards one of the servants' corridors, relieving a passing attendant of a glass of quality blue. For some reason, all the violet wine seemed to be missing from the party. She meandered down the corridor, and came face to face with one of the servants. Aesudan couldn't remember the girl's name; she couldn't be bothered to keep track of the hundreds of servants that milled about in the party. Although that business with the Shin servant had been strange in a lot of ways. In any case, there was something strange about this particular servant as well.

"What was that note you swiped off uncle Dalinar's table?" she asked sweetly.

Ivory observed the 'beggar' from a distance. Something in the most recent events seemed to have changed the former herald. He stood a bit taller, and some of the madness seemed to have retreated from his eyes.

I wonder if the recent events and talk of unmade have made him realize it's not over yet. Maybe he's finally willing to pick up his duty again. 

Ivory doubted that, but with the way the world was going, it was a possibility he couldn't ignore either. If he could find the Herald's Honorblade...