Controversial Cosmere thoughts

Matias

9 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

...in that case, I will write an update later today. :P

Do it. Please.

My opinions:

Stick was way overrated. I mean, it's just one stick. Shallan could've picked up another one and it would've done the same. Stick is nothing special.

I really dislike Lopen. 

Taravangian is in my top 10 Cosmere characters. He's awesome.

Warbreaker is one of the best Cosmere books. Top 3 for sure.

Elantris was great and all, but we need more non-Aonic magic. Specifically Shu-Dereth.

1 hour ago, Ashspren said:

...in that case, I will write an update later today. :P

That depends, what do you think about Lightsong?

1 hour ago, Abyssspren said:

Do it. Please.

I know you want this so you can be whit AonEne(that now is called @Sprene for some reason) (also i think your name was diferent)

Edited by Matias

What? Oh, hi, I've been summoned. I...am not getting into this topic, because if I do, I will argue so. Much. I'll spend all my time writing essays to debate against you and not roleplaying like I should be. So staying ooooouuuttttt.

2 hours ago, Matias said:

That depends, what do you think about Lightsong?

I know you want this so you can be whit AonEne(that now is called @Sprene for some reason) (also i think your name was diferent)

2 hours ago, Sprene said:

What? Oh, hi, I've been summoned. I...am not getting into this topic, because if I do, I will argue so. Much. I'll spend all my time writing essays to debate against you and not roleplaying like I should be. So staying ooooouuuttttt.

Well, the update might have to wait until tomorrow, but I’ll get to it.  

We should make this a TV show: Keeping Up with the Sharders, or The Real Sharders of the Cosmere. 

2 hours ago, Ishar said:

Most controversial cosmere thought: Reckoners is cosmere.

Reckoners and Rithmatist spoilers below

Spoiler

Exactly, after all Calamity granted Epics their power, And the Rithmatist should be cosmere as well, after all the Shadowblazes gives them Rithmatic powers.

Edited by Undead Wookiee

I like Elantris a lot. It was the first book I read and I continued to read the other books because of it (when they hit the market that means). Looking back it is weaker his later works, but it was the first one to be sold  to a mass market. I still think it's great and I will always love it for introducing me to the cosmere and for the characters and everything.

I don't like Lift that much. She's funny to read but in the end I prefer other characters, that take things more seriously. Same with Lopen. They lighten the books a bit and add a funny element, but it's nothing I'd really need.

I liked Shallan in OB (not the love triangle, but everything around). And Pattern is one of the best characters in SA, I like him more than Kaladin.

I prefer Vivenna over Siri, because Vivenna had such a great character development during Warbreaker and afterwards. And I'm jealous of the hair...

Edited by Sorana

I’m not the biggest fan of cognitive shadow/reborn(?) Kelsier. I secretly kind of wish he had just gone to the Beyond. But we’ll see how it goes in the future with him.

Also I still don’t like Vivenna much. Beginning of Warbreaker she was insufferable. She got better by the end but I still find myself indifferent to her. Although I am more curious about her as Azure and post OB. I will be interested to see where she goes in a Warbreaker sequel. 

I recently re-read Elantris and was surprised by how much I really enjoyed it. It was the first one I read by Sanderson, but wasn’t my favorite of his. But this time around something about it just was awesome for me. 

To segue from Elantris to Stormlight: Raoden (though I still really like him) is much more of a Mary Sue than Adolin. He seriously did nothing wrong the whole book. 

Adolin is awesome. I really like him. I originally thought he’d have some serious issues after WoR but I am totally fine with what happened with him in OB. I don’t mind that he hasn’t had comeuppance over killing Sadeas. Given the Alethi culture, that none of the highprinces really mind that he is dead, and none of them would have batted an eye had Adolin killed him in a duel from his boon, I think the results make sense. The one person who will have a hard time with it is Dalinar because codes and Honor and stuff.  

And those are some of what I view as my controversial cosmere opinions. Apparently I have quite a few. 

22 hours ago, Sorana said:

I don't like Lift that much. She's funny to read but in the end I prefer other characters, that take things more seriously. Same with Lopen. They lighten the books a bit and add a funny element, but it's nothing I'd really need.

I agree. I do think that Lift and Lopen are bit to unserious, especially in comparison with some of the other characters in the Stormlight Archives, and I feel that they aren't necessary or needed as comic relief because we already get that from characters like Pattern and Wit, where it fits significantly better. To be fair though, I only realize this when I am looking back on the books and actually thinking about it. Lift and Lopen are still some of my favorite characters despite this, and I really enjoy reading about them.

Adolin annoys me. I don't really know why, but he does. Maybe it is a combination of him just seeming to be too perfect, and honestly more there to support Shallan then anything else. I just find Adolin really hard to relate to I guess.

I am not a fan of Mistborn Era 2 or Warbreaker overall, and those are easily my least favorite cosmere books. For MB Era 2 I think it might be more the setting that bothers me. Personally I dislike most industrial settings that don't have totally modern technology, not really sure why, just not my type of books. For Warbreaker, I think the reason why I didn't like it is because it was harder to get attached to the character, such as Lightsong. In Mistborn you had a full 3 books to get attached to Vin and Elend and Sazed and Spook, but in Warbreaker you only had 1, and I don't feel that it was enough to communicate who the characters were, and so it was difficulty to get attached. I do feel that characters such as Vivenna and Vasher's future in the cosmere could be much more interesting.

I am actually kinda happy that Brandon has not yet published Dragonsteel, because I feel that if he feels it isn't ready, then it probably isn't ready, and that it would be a lot worse to get a poorly written book with a poor plot to set off the beginning of the cosmere than to wait a while and get a really good one.

On 9/1/2018 at 6:04 AM, Wyndlerunner said:

I really liked Well of Ascension. It was just a really enjoyable read to me. I'm aware of some of the narrative flaws within it, but I kinda like slow, political books.

I liked the political clusterstorm that WoA has despite it being my least favorite era 1 book.

Some Oath like:

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination" or

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves" or

"I will listen to those who have been ignored"

Are, in a way, a message to people that are on favor of abortion

• Chaos locked this topic