Hemalurgic Spikes Made From A Person's Iron Content

Invocation

Ok, so, theoretically there's enough iron in someone's body to make from it a 3-inch (or something like that) nail. A nail, or perhaps a SPIKE. Because that iron would come from the blood of a person, would a Hemalurgic spike made from that iron suffer from decay or not because it is kind of made of a part of the blood of a person? Also would that bolster the strength of the spike/the retention of the trait at all?

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Ok, so, theoretically there's enough iron in someone's body to make from it a 3-inch (or something like that) nail. A nail, or perhaps a SPIKE. Because that iron would come from the blood of a person, would a Hemalurgic spike made from that iron suffer from decay or not because it is kind of made of a part of the blood of a person? Also would that bolster the strength of the spike/the retention of the trait at all?

That would be interesting. I doubt that it would have no decay, but it is feasible that it would count

My guess is that once you extracted the iron from someone's blood and made a spike out of it, it would see itself as 'an iron spike' in the same way that a cake quickly begins to see itself as a cake rather than a collection of flour, sugar, eggs and so on. Consequently, it shouldn't have any special protection against hemalurgic decay. I think this would be related to how the Metallic Arts don't care about the source of the metal, just that it's the right kind. An iron spike forged from ore on Scadrial, one forged from Nalthian ore, one Soulcast from wood or one made from blood-extracted iron would all be the same as far as the magic is concerned.

Just now, Weltall said:

My guess is that once you extracted the iron from someone's blood and made a spike out of it, it would see itself as 'an iron spike' in the same way that a cake quickly begins to see itself as a cake rather than a collection of flour, sugar, eggs and so on. Consequently, it shouldn't have any special protection against hemalurgic decay. I think this would be related to how the Metallic Arts don't care about the source of the metal, just that it's the right kind. An iron spike forged from ore on Scadrial, one forged from Nalthian ore, one Soulcast from wood or one made from blood-extracted iron would all be the same as far as the magic is concerned.

Fair enough.

My best guess is that once the iron from the blood is extracted it will see itself as already spiked since it directly comes from someones blood. You would have to make the spike and then instantly spike them to reduce the decay. 

The question is really interesting I'll have to think about it more, but props for your imagination. 

I think extracting the iron from the hemoglobin in a person would either require directly oxygenating their blood through an IV (so they don't die while you remove their primary means of carrying oxygen in their blood), using hemocyanin and if needed have them burn the copper (either through medallions or removing the hemoglobin from a copper Allomancer), or putting them in a human-sized crucible and burning them to ash before their blood stops moving, and forming a spike as quickly as possible and stabbing it through the ashes before the person's Cognitive and Spiritual aspects depart.

That last one, though extreme, is probably the best shot--we don't know if blood requires its main components to be Hemalurgically available, so if you get a machine that can burn, mold-iron-into-a-spike, and grab the white-hot spike and stab it through ash in less than a tenth of a second, the following sentence is true. You'll have a nice niche Hemalurgic cremation demonstration, neither practical nor very tactical, that gives results without a pulse, that might let you Pulse, depending on the subject; perhaps they didn't object to the experiment, but their expirement (pretend that adding "ment" is grammatically viable) makes them an object, ready for stabbing and steady in adding the power of metal, in a totally metal power(-intensive) item which may have an added effect, but mostly will connect the dead with the bread head plaid other person so they can perform an Art, using the preformed pArt (sorry), on which centers this post-mort' discussion.

...the crushing may have given a short concussion, but the heat forwent that worry, by using sheets to vent the flurry of ash in a hurry.

Thank you, Invocation, for providing a great question that lent itself to such a monstrosity of rhyming, wordplay, and definition-ignoring paragraph.

4 hours ago, Walin said:

I think extracting the iron from the hemoglobin in a person would either require directly oxygenating their blood through an IV (so they don't die while you remove their primary means of carrying oxygen in their blood), using hemocyanin and if needed have them burn the copper (either through medallions or removing the hemoglobin from a copper Allomancer), or putting them in a human-sized crucible and burning them to ash before their blood stops moving, and forming a spike as quickly as possible and stabbing it through the ashes before the person's Cognitive and Spiritual aspects depart.

That last one, though extreme, is probably the best shot--we don't know if blood requires its main components to be Hemalurgically available, so if you get a machine that can burn, mold-iron-into-a-spike, and grab the white-hot spike and stab it through ash in less than a tenth of a second, the following sentence is true. You'll have a nice niche Hemalurgic cremation demonstration, neither practical nor very tactical, that gives results without a pulse, that might let you Pulse, depending on the subject; perhaps they didn't object to the experiment, but their expirement (pretend that adding "ment" is grammatically viable) makes them an object, ready for stabbing and steady in adding the power of metal, in a totally metal power(-intensive) item which may have an added effect, but mostly will connect the dead with the bread head plaid other person so they can perform an Art, using the preformed pArt (sorry), on which centers this post-mort' discussion.

...the crushing may have given a short concussion, but the heat forwent that worry, by using sheets to vent the flurry of ash in a hurry.

Thank you, Invocation, for providing a great question that lent itself to such a monstrosity of rhyming, wordplay, and definition-ignoring paragraph.

I admire the art of what you've done here.

In a side note: we may have just discovered how Eras 3 and 4 Scadrilians will dispose of their corpses!

• Chaos locked this topic