Atomic orbitals

My original impression of Aons was that they were similar to 

Spoiler

the cymatic patterns in SA,

... but now I am thinking they remind me of these [which might be similar to the other option, and therefore probably wrong, but IDK yet]:

1024px-Hydrogen_Density_Plots.png

At least to some extent... I feel like there's some quasi-natural basis for Aons, aside from the particular geography of the country, or something... Maybe I should look into electronic circuitry designs.

EDIT:

350px-Knot_table-blank_unknot.svg.pngThis is from something called knot theory. This might be better...

VennDiagrams.jpg And these are Venn diagrams. I think I've seen some Top Ramen-looking kinds, too, but I'm not sure. Altogether these resemble Aons to some extent, maybe.

Edited by Ripheus23

Wow, that's a great idea you had there.

Actually Brandon said, that he was influenced by asian writing systems, when he designed the aonic language. We also have some WOB on that.

JordanCon 2014 (April 11, 2014)
#8 Share Copy

Questioner

Where did you get the idea of the Elantris magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

The drawing glyphs is based on Korean and Chinese writing systems. I'm Mormon, I served a mission in Korea for two years, loved the writing system and the language. It was part of what inspired me to do that. There is this really cool thing where in Korea they used Chinese characters to write for a long time and they are very difficult to learn because you just have to memorize them and there was a great king, named Sejong, who said, "My people are being mostly illiterate because this is so hard and we don't even speak Chinese, we are not Chinese. We use their characters, can we develop a language, a writing system that will allow us to do this" and his scholars got together and devised Korean which is a way to phonetically write Chinese characters kind of? It's their own thing. You write them in little groups to make little Chinese characters, it's the coolest thing ever. But you can write most Korean things, not everything, most you can write as a Chinese character or as a phonetic Korean construction of three letters that create that Chinese character sound and I liked that idea and it spun me into the idea of the Aons and the Aonic language and things like that.

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

Wow, that's a great idea you had there.

Actually Brandon said, that he was influenced by asian writing systems, when he designed the aonic language. We also have some WOB on that.

ah... too bad. As a chemist myself I would have loved were the aeons based on atomic orbitals =). or even better molecular orbitals :wub:!

• 2 months later...

I could see it being based off of that. I really want to go into astro/quantum physics, so this stuff I find fascinating. I think it was a good theory. Brandon has somewhere, iirc, said something was based off of quantum physics. maybe stormlight patterns in fabrials?

13 minutes ago, Gavtyven said:

The shape of Roshar was, I think. I don't remember the name, but it was on the 17thShard a while back. 

The shape of the Rosharan continent is based on a slice of the Julia Set, a mathematical function. In this case a fractal. 

5be53f851cf57_images(37).jpeg.ded1642aa1fb574f925d3c57570ddde4.jpeg

(Not that exact slice)

My user pic is a different fractal, the Mandelbrot set.

Stormlight spoilers for what is quantum mechanics based

Spoiler

The ardents noticing that certain spren when observed would become fixed in shape was based on quantum mechanics, as are spanreeds.

Edited by Extesian
Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Stormlight spoilers for what is quantum mechanics based

Hide contents

The ardents noticing that certain spren when observed would become fixed in shape was based on quantum mechanics, as are spanreeds.

Ah right. I know very little to nothing of physics, so it made sense I'd get it wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Gavtyven said:

Ah right. I know very little to nothing of physics, so it made sense I'd get it wrong. 

I certainly knew nothing about these things until the community cracked the mystery of the shape of Roshar. Then that made me read about it :) still don't understand it but fractals sure are pretty. 

The Cosmere. Is there anything it can't teach us.

• Chaos locked this topic