Hoid, Worldbringers, and Feruchemy

Serack

Here’s the theory up front:  I think Hoid may be responsible for their being Feruchemy on Scadrial.  

This isn’t to say that he is solely responsible for it, but that it probably wouldn’t have shown up, or at least not the way it did if not for him.

The foundational information for this theory is:

1  Per the Hero of Ages Epigraphs, Allomancy is of Preservation and Hemalurgy is of Ruin but Feruchemy is presumed to be some hand wavy result of the interaction of their combined shardic influence.  

2  WoB seems to show that Feruchemy requires Terris heritage.  source

3  It’s popularly theorized with evidence that the Worldbringers, a sect of Terris, were founded by Hoid, much like Roshar’s Worldsingers.

4  WoB is that Hoid uses Feruchemy to know where he needs to be.  source

So the theory is that instead of Hoid showing up on Scadrial and meeting some feruchemically powerful individuals and founding the Worldbringers among them, he catalyzed a change in the spiritual DNA of individuals without formed investiture allowing them to access feruchemical power to facilitate their mission.  The word catalyzed was carefully chosen, because I think the investiture still comes from Preservation and Ruin, but Hoid somehow nudged what was there to allow it to form into the power of Feruchemy for the Terris people.  

An unlikely bonus derivative theory is that the Terris people are decedents of Hoid, as he had love interests in the past per WoB

Edited by Serack
Link fixes and improved wording

On 8/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, Serack said:

4  WoB is that Hoid uses Feruchemy to know where he needs to be.  source

This WoB has been held to debate regarding how accurate it is and my opinion on it is that he does not have the ability to naturally perform feruchemy, and that that paraphrased WoB was due to a misinterpretation of Brandon. Most damning is this later WoB, which while still paraphrased, more specifically has Brandon saying that he uses the same underlying principles, not necessarily feruchemy itself. A fair number have taken that to mean that he might not have natural ability. That doesn't mean that he can't perform feruchemy though, as Brandon has said that he does have unkeyed metalminds, but he could've obtained it in an artificial manner, such as with medallions.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

You've mentioned before that Hoid ends up where he needs to be.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, and usually without knowing why.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

Is chromium involved in that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. Well, he's not necessarily using chromium, but the underlying mechanic, yes.

source

Steeldancer

Hoid. Does he have more unkeyed metalminds?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid has access to lots of different things, so, yes he does.

source

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Thanks @Spoolofwhool

in my earlier mentioned google searches on the topic I did come across a few mentions of those refining WoBs.  With your provision of their sources, I may knock the dust off my wiki editing skills and update the coppermind section that lead me to the WoB with an incomplete picture.

• Chaos locked this topic