City of Oasis

Lord Meeker

18 minutes ago, Cyanic said:

it's not part of his sheet yet

It's part of his past, that's why he can teleport between Material, Cognitive, and Spiritual. He's an Epic before he died. He wasn't a particularly powerful one. His kit included worldhopping, (which is useless on Earth if the world is only one layer deep, but immensely useful in the Alleyverse), exponential physiological augmentation, which triggers on either building force on himself like running, or continued combat (which he really didn't have time to build up, until now that he's a Lifeless with a lot of strength spikes and the armor which exacerbates that, making it mostly an exponential loop,) and force, and velocity redirection that is dependent on his physiology

Couple of concerns.

1. Worldhopping (In terms of moving to the CR/SR) Seems like a borderline impossible ability for Calamity to give someone, semi-useless or weird abilities sure, but not something that's literally impossible in that universe. Not my say here but just something I find extremely unlikely.
2. What do you mean by dependent on his physiology?
3. This ones more semantics/commentary but force redirection alone is enough to classify someone as a High-Epic and get a position as one of the three most powerful Epics in Babylon Restored. So not exactly something I'd call not particularly powerful.

That being said, force redirection as an Epic ability works, but it's just going to send it in the opposite direction (And probably level half the country, but still workable) not necessarily into her.
There is also the issue of how this is done with such precision, this would need to happen within a tiny fraction of a second, you'd need some serious mental enhancements to be able to precisely jump in and out of its path like that.

Just now, Voidus said:

for 2 and 3 meaning that the force that he can redirect isn't very strong for him as a human. Basically he can redirect the force of punches and kicks, but not big things or fast things like bullets. The amount of force and velocity he can redirect increases exponentially relative to what his own physical aspects, so once his physiological augmentation increases, and loops with his other augmentations, the amount of force and velocity he can direct is nutty.

His exponential physiological augmentation isn't just increasing his strength and speed, but every single physical aspect of him, which is only further exacerbated by both the strength spikes and the tin spike, which is why he's seeing sub-relativistic speeds in slow-mo. By default even without building augments, the augmentation, the spikes, and being Lifeless has increased his strength a lot. By building it up, he can perform superman-tier feats. He couldn't really do this back on Earth since if he got into a fight with a High Epic, then he wouldn't have time to build and stockpile strength, he'd start at human strength, then maybe get to superhuman enough that he can lift dumpsters, but nothing too much and he'd get killed

Lastly, the force and velocity doesn't work like Newton's that it just reverses the vectors, his is more like guiding it or wrenching the force around without really affecting the momentum itself.

1 minute ago, Cyanic said:

for 2 and 3 meaning that the force that he can redirect isn't very strong for him as a human. Basically he can redirect the force of punches and kicks, but not big things or fast things like bullets. The amount of force and velocity he can redirect increases exponentially relative to what his own physical aspects, so once his physiological augmentation increases, and loops with his other augmentations, the amount of force and velocity he can direct is nutty.

His exponential physiological augmentation isn't just increasing his strength and speed, but every single physical aspect of him, which is only further exacerbated by both the strength spikes and the tin spike, which is why he's seeing sub-relativistic speeds in slow-mo. By default even without building augments, the augmentation, the spikes, and being Lifeless has increased his strength a lot. By building it up, he can perform superman-tier feats. He couldn't really do this back on Earth since if he got into a fight with a High Epic, then he wouldn't have time to build and stockpile strength, he'd start at human strength, then maybe get to superhuman enough that he can lift dumpsters, but nothing too much and he'd get killed

Lastly, the force and velocity doesn't work like Newton's that it just reverses the vectors, his is more like guiding it or wrenching the force around without really affecting the momentum itself.

Not seeing how a couple of strength spikes are going to change 'able to deflect punches' to 'able to deflect sub-relitivistic objects'

Just now, Voidus said:

Not seeing how a couple of strength spikes are going to change 'able to deflect punches' to 'able to deflect sub-relitivistic objects'

It's the interaction between that part of his kit with the strength spikes, creating a sort of loop. The spikes empower him, which empowers his phys-aug, which makes his phys-aug increase even further/faster, and again and again

It's not just the spikes that have this interaction. The armor he's wearing (made by the craftsmen) allows him with everything at default to lift around 50 tons. That also feeds into the phys-aug exponential increase loop which makes him even stronger, faster, keener (and more durable, but that's not that relevant right now). The exponential increase is really what makes the whole thing nuts because by default, he can do 50 tons, but he can phys-aug himself, and the increase from all the other stuff, spikes, armor, allows the phys-aug to increase much much faster than it would without all that.

Like, as a human, even if he had super strength and the phys-aug, he'd be powerful as an Epic, and he'd reach this level of power given time, but the increase will still be much slower as opposed to this whole setup.

To make this even crazier, the redirection he can do is a lot more than what he has in physical strength, let's say his starting strength is 2 and his starting direction is 3, he can direct force and velocity that he can't lift. This is unnoticeable as a human, and it increases based on his physical conditions (hence saying it's tied to the phys-aug) so if it's 2 exponentially increased by like 10, that 3 is also exponentially increased by 10, (just an example these numbers don't mean anything beyond analogy XD)

@I think I am here.

I think you missed Sorana's post, btw, you guys kinda ninja'd each other XD

Edited by Cyanic

Thanks, Cyanic.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

She got to her feet and looked around. Max. He wasn't able to get out on his own. She staggered over, stumbling over a head here and a corpse there. Fire.
"Max. What is going on? We need to go to Sephtis."
she called his name, when she finally saw him, was he fighting? She wasn't sure, there was so much happenening.

Max looked back to Althea, she looked dazed, and Max felt unimaginable guilt. She’d tried to help him, and this was how he repayed her? She was bleeding, too, and Max couldn’t resist looking away in shame.

“You need to go. There’s a Pheonix, and a bunch of other things and it’s really dangerous. Go to the hospital. I’ll go later, I need to help the others with this Pheonix issue. I’m sorry.”

17 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“You need to go. There’s a Pheonix, and a bunch of other things and it’s really dangerous. Go to the hospital. I’ll go later, I need to help the others with this Pheonix issue. I’m sorry.”

It took her a moment to process his words and then she shook her head.

"No. I won't leave without you. It was a mistake to do that the last time."

She inhaled some stormlight, welcomed it's rage. Rage was better than nothing. Pain, that she had forgotten about, vanished as her body healed herself. Althea took another deep breath, tried to focus. Lists, lists had helped before. She sighed and then started sorting through the muddled mess of her brain. There were things she needed to tell him. She held up three fingers:

"One I gave the command to evacuate the city sometime before the fighting started. I'm not sure how many managed to get out, though.

Two, I am Righthand and not everyone on the council is like Lusk.

Three how can I help?"

Edited by Sorana

54 minutes ago, Cyanic said:

It's the interaction between that part of his kit with the strength spikes, creating a sort of loop. The spikes empower him, which empowers his phys-aug, which makes his phys-aug increase even further/faster, and again and again

It's not just the spikes that have this interaction. The armor he's wearing (made by the craftsmen) allows him with everything at default to lift around 50 tons. That also feeds into the phys-aug exponential increase loop which makes him even stronger, faster, keener (and more durable, but that's not that relevant right now). The exponential increase is really what makes the whole thing nuts because by default, he can do 50 tons, but he can phys-aug himself, and the increase from all the other stuff, spikes, armor, allows the phys-aug to increase much much faster than it would without all that.

Like, even if he had super strength and the phys-aug, he'd be powerful as an Epic, and he'd reach this level of power given time, but the increase will still be much slower as opposed to this whole setup.

To make this even crazier, the redirection he can do is a lot more than what he has in physical strength, let's say his starting strength is 2 and his starting direction is 3, he can direct force and velocity that he can't lift. This is unnoticeable as a human, and it increases based on his physical conditions (hence saying it's tied to the phys-aug) so if it's 2 exponentially increased by like 10, that 3 is also exponentially increased by 10, (just an example these numbers don't mean anything beyond analogy XD)

Not seeing how that becomes a loop, a spike increases base physical strength. Yes that means that any strength multiplier is going to be even greater but that's not exponential, it's just a higher starting rate. So yes he gets to strength level 10 straight away instead of multiplying up to it from 1, but all that means is he saves however much time it would normally take to get that far. Spikes aren't a multiplier, they're an addition.

If you think about it as a graph, it shifts the y-intercept up by the increase in strength, but that doesn't increase the slope of the line or the acceleration, just the starting point.

Eg. Supposing that every second he could multiply strength by 1.5 and has a regular, human level strength of 1.

Then after 10 seconds he'd be at: 1*1.5^10 = 58

Wheras with 5 spikes he'd be at 6*1.5^10 = 346

So still only 6 times stronger than he would be without them, not 6^10 times stronger.

So if he would only have been able to build up to lifting a dumpster previously, he should only be able to build up to lifting 6 dumpsters now.

I'd also question how armour could change that, the armour would only be a straight addition of whatever its capacity was. Unless it's a biological enhancement or the ability is to increase the strength of anything he touches instead of just himself. (Even then, really strange interactions would be needed for that to also apply to power armour)

But even ignoring that, assuming your default of 50 tons of lifting as the base and a previous increase to the level of being able to lift dumpsters (~ 3 tons full as an estimate so let's say a 50x increase), that would still fail to even counter the acceleration it's currently under, let alone actually stop it.

If his ability to redirect momentum is purely a function of mass regardless of speed then that still seems possible,  depending on what the difference between what he can redirect and his strength is. (Though this doesn't circumvent the whole getting immediately crushed thing) But if it's based on the velocity as well then that's going to need to be a very strange relationship in order to cause this to be possible.

EDIT: Just for some clarity: to be unable to deflect a bullet previously but be able to deflect this rock now, he would literally have to be over a billion times stronger than previously.

Just now, Voidus said:

the actual equation is actually more like let's say (1+1)^2 in one second of stockpiling, then after another second, it'd be (4+1)^3, then so on, that's just the base human one

his spikes makes this even faster, so it becomes (6+1)^(2+2) in one second, then after another second it'd be (49+1)^(4+3), both the base strength, and the exponents increase, and the increase of the exponent is based on the base strength. The armor isn't just regular power armor, but like shardplate that increases its wearers capabilities in relation to their current strength, instead of just a flat modifier, inside that it has an awakened cloth skeleton that is commanded to make its wearer stronger, which also increases in relation to current strength. The awakening probably has limits, but the slack is picked up by everything else.

The phys-aug is further increased by how much the triggering stuff he's hit with, they're exponential increases too. So as he's just running and building up speed, the equation would look like (6+1)^(2^2) in one second, (49+1)^(4^2) in two seconds, and some really dumb number in 3 seconds (the equation might be too large of a result but the concept is similar, I'm not a good mathematician, but it's kinda like that, except the exponential increase isn't big enough to just stockpile planet-ending force in like 3 seconds)

but I guess calling it a 'loop' isn't the most accurate, so that's my bad

And yeah, it's force and velocity,

30 minutes ago, Cyanic said:

the actual equation is actually more like let's say (1+1)^2 in one second of stockpiling, then after another second, it'd be (4+1)^3, then so on, that's just the base human one

his spikes makes this even faster, so it becomes (6+1)^(2+2) in one second, then after another second it'd be (49+1)^(4+3), both the base strength, and the exponents increase, and the increase of the exponent is based on the base strength. The armor isn't just regular power armor, but like shardplate that increases its wearers capabilities in relation to their current strength, instead of just a flat modifier, inside that it has an awakened cloth skeleton that is commanded to make its wearer stronger, which also increases in relation to current strength. The awakening probably has limits, but the slack is picked up by everything else.

The phys-aug is further increased by how much the triggering stuff he's hit with, they're exponential increases too. So as he's just running and building up speed, the equation would look like (6+1)^(2^2) in one second, (49+1)^(4^2) in two seconds, and some really dumb number in 3 seconds (the equation might be too large of a result but the concept is similar, I'm not a good mathematician, but it's kinda like that, except the exponential increase isn't big enough to just stockpile planet-ending force in like 3 seconds)

but I guess calling it a 'loop' isn't the most accurate, so that's my bad

And yeah, it's force and velocity,

If the exponent increases based on current strength then that would have been true before. It just would have taken a small additional amount of time, same issue, you're just pushing the curve a little higher.

Armour that increases strength as a multiplier is going to run out of Investiture in 0 seconds flat if it's trying to multiply 150,000 m/s movement into 300,000 m/s. Conservation of Investiture still applies. Awakened cloth is same issue as previously, it can't gran't the actual bearer extra muscle max, just assist with their movements.

Also just going to restate this because my edit was only just put in previous post: Just for some clarity: to be unable to deflect a bullet previously but be able to deflect this rock now, he would literally have to be over a billion times stronger than previously.

I'm not necessarily opposed to abilities that strong existing, but that is so far outside the standards of what abilities Calamity has granted that it's ridiculous. It'd be like if most Mistborn were normal strength, but there was one who could shoot coins at the speed of light, use Ironpulls to move the planets in their orbits and and use Atium to see a billion years in the future, all without making use of the Mists, or being powered directly by a Shard in any way.

That's so far off the regular scale that I really feel like it needs some explanation.

EDIT:

Again, just to illustrate (And yes, I know the example you've given isn't necessarily precise, but just to point out how insane of a power this would be, even still on earth with no spikes or anything) here's the actual outcome for the base human formula you've described.

Start at 1 then after first storage: 4
Then: 125
Then: 252 million
Then: 1 x 10^42 (Literally able to bench press our entire solar system)

Just now, Voidus said:

fine, this debate is just the worse and I have myself to blame because I didn't apply math to the power (that's not sarcasm btw)

what about just exponential strength increase up to a huge cap? Not just infinitely increasing

Just something that makes it so that as a human he couldn't increase fast enough to be considered High-Epic tier and in this form with all the augmentations he can increase fast enough. Does that sound good or no?

Edited by Cyanic

I'll leave it up to others to weigh in, I'm not the final say in what is or isn't acceptable.
For now I can work with it as an Epic ability that redirects the force.

The ground vanished from within her grasp as one of the humans finally made their way out of the city. She barely had time to notice the loss before she saw it again, this time directly in her path.

And heading in the wrong direction.

She had the barest of instants to brace herself for the collision, as her own fully reinforced weight slammed into that of the rock.

An explosion ripped through the air, flattening the ground, tearing trees from their roots, and hurling everything away from the point of impact.

The rock was reduced to superheated powder, shattered into a trillion pieces in that instant. The Phoenix flew through the air as a steam of flesh, feathers and blood.

Before the pieces began to rapidly reform, golden flames burned from the pieces of flesh, promoting new growth.

The Phoenix reformed just in time to collide once again, this time with the barrier of the City of Oasis. She felt the wall that wasn't give beneath her tremendous weight. The force of a thousand times her normal mass, with a hundred times her normal gravity shattered the barrier to pieces.

Where is he? Where is the hated one?

A moment more passed before she managed to reform for a second time, the force of the two collisions created an oddly soundless space as all air was expelled from the vicinity, it also hindered her restoration.

Flame-kin? She thought-spoke, trying to tell if she'd obliterated it as well in her anger. Do you live?

I think I'm gonna leave the Alleyverse though, so might as well go balls to the wall

I would ask why the spikes don't fall off her body when she dispersed, but I don't care that much anymore

The barrier was gone and the city was in danger now. Deras was still in exponential strength and he shifted to the spiritual realm and back out again, everything was still in slow motion as he plummeted straight into the Phoenix's side. Even through the aonic shields, the aluminum layers, the shardplate, and the slow motion, he could still feel the heat. Then with a yell, he shifted himself and the Phoenix away into the Spiritual Realm, then out again, far, far away. The Realm was a place of stasis and no space. No space meant he could freely travel anywhere as long as he was inside and could control his exit.

All around them were black and stars, distant tiny planets, and celestial bodies. He sighed, then realized there was no air currently in his lungs. He looked to the Phoenix and its flames were being put off by virtue of having no oxygen and it started to suffocate. He remembered that even if the Phoenix were to somehow find and go back to the planet itself, it'd reach the creature a few hundred years at least.

He shifted himself into the Spiritual Realm again, then back down into the city where he was. Gaining better control over his powers. He lied there, tired.

Alright! Here's where I'll take my leave. Anyone's free to take control of Deras

I'll be making an actual thread too and put the details of my characters there so that people may properly adopt them.

Was fun you guys, thanks for the fun times

Wait a sec, you’re leaving? :( Why?

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

It took her a moment to process his words and then she shook her head.

"No. I won't leave without you. It was a mistake to do that the last time."

She inhaled some stormlight, welcomed it's rage. Rage was better than nothing. Pain, that she had forgotten about, vanished as her body healed herself. Althea took another deep breath, tried to focus. Lists, lists had helped before. She sighed and then started sorting through the muddled mess of her brain. There were things she needed to tell him. She held up three fingers:

"One I gave the command to evacuate the city sometime before the fighting started. I'm not sure how many managed to get out, though.

Two, I am Righthand and not everyone on the council is like Lusk.

Three how can I help?"

Max looked to the distance. The horizon. The Pheonix had disappeared all of a sudden, only leaving the Chaos it had ridden outside the Oasis sheild.

Though it wasn’t like Oasis was any better on the inside. The city was littered with corpses.

Turning back to Althea he tried his best and gave a very faint ghost of a smile through his visor. “Congratulations on getting to the Council.” He did a little bow. “Good job on the evacuation. As for helping, the Pheonix looks gone for now. Perhaps it’s time we leave this place.”

Ending what he was saying, Max forced his mouth into a faint smile again. “Sorry for turning you insane,” he said. “It was nothing personal.”

5 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Max looked to the distance. The horizon. The Pheonix had disappeared all of a sudden, only leaving the Chaos it had ridden outside the Oasis sheild.

Though it wasn’t like Oasis was any better on the inside. The city was littered with corpses.

Turning back to Althea he tried his best and gave a very faint ghost of a smile through his visor. “Congratulations on getting to the Council.” He did a little bow. “Good job on the evacuation. As for helping, the Pheonix looks gone for now. Perhaps it’s time we leave this place.”

Ending what he was saying, Max forced his mouth into a faint smile again. “Sorry for turning you insane,” he said. “It was nothing personal.”

Althea nodded unsure what to make of his reaction. Insane, for turning her insane. Was she insane? Her thoughts caught on that and she winced when it reminded her of what he had woken up. What would claim her.

She couldn't return his smile, not when there was nothing left, nothing but this empty coldness, envelopping her. But she was walking that was good. Doing things was hard when there was no sense in them.

"I might need help. Later. It will claim me."

Her voice was distached, and she shook her head, tried to clear it further. She needed to tell him, to make him understand.

"Thank you."

True, but not what she wanted to say. Althea raised her hands in an apologetic gesture and then breathed in more stormlight. It helped.

"Sure. Do you know where he is? Otherwise I think we could call him."

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Who?” Max asked, immediatly going against what his narrator previously said.

"Sephtis. Solace."

Althea made a handwave indicating the corpses. Facts, facts were easier.

"This was a cry for help. He only changed his behaviour when I begged him to help you. And he told me, us, to save him from  his darkness. To stop him."

A purpose, a purpose was good. It helped to keep it at bay.

"Apart from our political differences, and all this, he asked for help. And he is a Ghostblood, I need to try to help him."

She hesitated, realized she had somehow assumed Max was coming.

"I mean I can always bring you whereever you want to go and look for him on my own."

She stepped forward and moved her hands, almost touching his, staring at him intensly.

"Sometimes the sky is green and not blue."

Just now, I think I am here. said:

Wait a sec, you’re leaving? :( Why?

It's alright man, I mentioned it in my farewell thread, but hey, thanks for the fun times. Just everyone who interacted with my characters I'd like to thank, that includes you, Itiah, even though our characters never really interacted much, there was still a bit of interaction XDD

@Voidus That would be kinda funny in an ironic way XD

50 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Sephtis. Solace."

Althea made a handwave indicating the corpses. Facts, facts were easier.

"This was a cry for help. He only changed his behaviour when I begged him to help you. And he told me, us, to save him from  his darkness. To stop him."

A purpose, a purpose was good. It helped to keep it at bay.

"Apart from our political differences, and all this, he asked for help. And he is a Ghostblood, I need to try to help him."

She hesitated, realized she had somehow assumed Max was coming.

"I mean I can always bring you whereever you want to go and look for him on my own."

She stepped forward and moved her hands, almost touching his, staring at him intensly.

"Sometimes the sky is green and not blue."

Max had no idea what that sky analogy meant, but he felt it as really emotional and deep and so he nodded. He felt emotional. Surrounding him were dead corpses he made, for one.

“No,” he said slowly. “I will go with you. He saved us. We should save him.”

Edit:

Nohadon, so basically he Great Game ended and Mraize came back. After a while the Ghostbloods rejected Mraize because Mraize was trying to regain absolute control over the Ghostbloods. The Ghostbloods had already chosen another leader, though, so Mraize was rejected. He gathered supporter supporters from all round to help him take control. This included Cain, Valwen, Max and a few others.

This ended up in a large confrontation is Oasis City (here). Threats were being made but nobody had actually tried killing people yet.

Max entered and pretty much let his emotions take control of him (page 6). He unleashed his full Rioting power and effectively Rioted everyone in Oasis to Duralumin levels of fear, anger and hopelessness. Lots of people died from the sudden mind-being-ripped-from-body experience and even more died because the Rioted started killing each other. You should read it on page 6, it was so coolsad.

Anyway, lots an lots of people died because of Max’s Rioting. He wasn’t doing it on purpose, he just sort pf gave in to giant rage and hurt.

Solace healed Max of insanity with his Epic powers, stopping the Rioting, and is on the brink of becoming fully evil himself. Max is full of guilt, Oasis has evacuated and the Pheonix appeared because it hates Rioting after what Rashan did.

Hellbent kept attacking unconcious Max and got slashed by Sethramir. Hellbent sided with the Pheonix.

Deras drove the Pheonix away as a last stand along with Dwig, Darth, and others.

Everyone is recovering.

Edited by I think I am here.

3 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Max had no idea what that sky analogy meant, but he felt it as really emotional and deep and so he nodded. He felt emotional. Surrounding him were dead corpses he made, for one.

“No,” he said slowly. “I will go with you. He saved us. We should save him.”

"You were with him during the last days. Where is he? Where could he have gone?"

Sorry for the sky analogy. I can explain, if you want to. It made more sense when I thought of it :P

Edited by Sorana

@Nohadon

See my (edited) last post for a  summary.

13 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"You were with him during the last days. Where is he? Where could he have gone?"

“He had this... lab, he used to go to. I don’t know if he’s there now, but it could give us information. He called it the Investiture for a Better Life Foundation. Last I heard the DA were suing them.”

Explaining that analogy would be great. :P I’m sorry, my brain isn’t working 100% right now and it felt like a really good analogy.

Edited by I think I am here.