Who You Think Will Die?

Draginon

Still hoping for Dalinar, if only because I kind of feel like he should have died long since -- possibly as early as the Tower in WoK.  He overshadows Adolin and Renarin, who are both (potentially) more interesting characters.  Dalinar just doesn't have as much room to grow.

That's not to say I don't like Dalinar.  I do.  Him, Kaladin, and Taln are basically the only truly honorable characters in the series by my definition, so I'd be somewhat sad to see him go.  But he's been outstaying his welcome and overshadowing everyone else for quite a while now, and it's gotten even worse now that he's "Super-Bondsmith" or whatever.  Yawn.  Give me more interesting characters.

And I'm tired with Kaladin. He always gets so many chapter, but unfortunately, he's not interesting enough to handle it. I prefer to read Dalinar or Shallan more than him. So if Kaladin will die in book 5 to make room for more interesting in my opinion characters, I'll be only glad.

@MistboreD: You misunderstand me.  Dalinar's my second favorite character in the series at this point, after Kaladin and just edging out Adolin.  Renarin I will give you is quite dull to read about -- he's probably last on my list of major characters at this point, though where exactly you draw the line between major and minor is rather open to debate.

It's not that I think Adolin or Renarin are better characters than Dalinar.  It's not even that I think Kaladin is a better character than Dalinar (though I do).  It's that Dalinar inhibits other characters by his very presence.  Renarin is boring as sin, I'll grant you.  But a good chunk of the reason that Renarin's so boring is because of Dalinar.

Imagine for an instant that Dalinar died on the Tower, leaving Adolin and Renarin to work together to try to defend their princedom against all the might of Sadeas' armies and wiles, with all the other warcamps privately admiring Sadeas for his ruthless victory over his longtime enemy Dalinar.  That's a story worth reading.  (And a story where Renarin is a lot more interesting.)

Or imagine instead that Dalinar died at the end of WoR.  With a real investigation into Sadeas' murder (i.e., not putting Adolin in charge), perhaps Adolin gets found out, disgraced, exiled.  Renarin and Navani then have to try to maintain and expand Dalinar's fragile alliance.  You then get real consequences for Sadeas' murder and real character development for Renarin (and maybe even Navani).  That also sounds like a story worth reading.

It's not that I dislike Dalinar.  It's just that as long as he's around -- and especially now that he's the super-Bondsmith -- he's going to overshadow every other Kholin, whether it be Adolin, Renarin, or even Jasnah.  He overshadowed Elhokar, too.  Whatever his additions to the series, I'm not convinced that they quite make up for his very long shadow.

Dalinar seems to be headed towards Ascending permanently (Godhood? Shardhood?) but then considering Brandon's propensity for plot twists I would not be surprised if something totally different happens. I also buy into the theory of some of the Radiants taking the place of the Heralds on Braize by the end of cycle 1 to try and hold onto the Oathpact for a little longer (Shallan and Kaladin, specifically). 

I think Adolin is going to die... I love him, so I really want to be wrong on this, but I feel like Adolin-Shallan-Kaladin mirror Gavilar-Navani-Dalinar in a lot of ways and going by what happened with the latter, Adolin might be headed towards doom. 

Also, I don't think any more of the flashback characters before their books, since that's already happened with Eshonai, and I don't know how he'd be able to pull that off a second time. MB era 1 spoilers:

Spoiler

This is another reason why I'm skeptical on Dalinar Ascending, since I don't know how this could happen without echoing Sazed. For this same reason I don't think Navani will die, since it would be too much like Tindwyl's death.

The Heralds are all probably doomed. And let's be real, those guys need a break. 

9 hours ago, galendo said:

You misunderstand me. 

Yeah, I don't understand you. You have a favorite character and you want him dead only for the sake of questionable perspective that characters who now are "boring as sin" would suddenly stop being boring? What if not? Adolin is boring not because Dalinar overshadows him, but because he's poorly written side character with no purpose in the story. He isn't a planned character and he has no satisfying character arc because of it. And he never would. Sanderson stated it multiple times: Adolin is a side character, do not expect much. If you give Adolin more page time he won't become interesting. He'll remain wooden and boring character with more screen time. Renarin will have a big role in the second half, so don't worry about him. Main characters for the first half are Shallan, Kaladin and Dalinar.

9 hours ago, galendo said:

Imagine for an instant that Dalinar died on the Tower

If Dalinar had died on the Tower his amazing story arc from Oathbringer would never happen. And this is the best character arc in these books so far. All you mention here: Adolin/Renarin working together against Sadeas, investigation into Sadeas murder, sounds boring and nowhere near Dalinar's story arc we have right now in terms of excitement. Sorry. Existing narrative is...just better. Don't know what Sanderson plans for Dalinar in book 4 and 5, but I'm sure, it'll be great as always. His character development is much more interesting than majority of SA protagonists.

Dalinar overshadows other characters? Really? If someone overshadows other characters it's Kaladin. Kaladin who stole the second book from Shallan, who always saves everyone during his "moments of awesomeness". Fortunately, Sanderson  understands it. If you want to kill someone who overshadows everyone, kill Kaladin then. Absolutely agree with @RayW2

Edited by MistboreD

Personally I think, Renarian will die, probably saving Adolin. I think Szeth could also be on the chopping block, but I don't want nightblood with someone else. Some more of bridge 4 will die, undoubtedly. hopefully not lopen, I can see him being one of the few survives. A lot of people said Kalidin would go down protecting a lot of people, and I can see that, but what I would want to see more is Teft saving kalidin and a bunch of people while sacrificing himself. I also think Shallan will either get betrayed by the ghost bloods and killed by them, or will betray the ghost bloods and get all of them killed.  

Taln dies. It’s what he does. Makes some last crazy stand that he helps succeed while saving a bunch of people, but he himself dies in the process. And this time it will probably be in a last stand that saves all of Roshar. Another ending forshadowed from the beginning. Like in the series prologue. 

I can also see Szeth dying. He was supposed to. And his healing was not perfect. And he seems like the type who would sacrifice himself for a cause he believed in. 

Anyone else seems like fair game for me, but I don’t have any impressions one way or the other. 

Kaladin, Jasnah and Adolin are in the chopping block later i think. Think Dalinar/Taln is mostly safe as they seem to represent the key to the conclusion of Stormlight Archives. You know with Taln seemingly the most important herald(also Sanderson saying he's is his favorite SA storyline) and Dalinar obviously the foil to Odium.

I think Kaladin's natural progression as a character is to die protecting someone or a group of people. I hope that it being so obvious means it won't actually happen. 

I don't like Adolin will die, but I do think Dalinar or Renarin will or maybe both. 

My guesses

Kaladin- highly likely lives through 1st half, may die near end of second half.

Shallan- I dont think she will necessarily die, but I think her importance will go down in the 2nd half, maybe be more of the head of the scholars or something and learning about ghostbloods.

Dalinar- depending on the time skip he may be pretty old in the 2nd half and therefore likely to die/ascend even by book 5.

Szeth- May die in the 1st half, lift is about the only main character who cares about him

Lift- young with a book in the 2nd half, I think she'll be one to at least go to book 10

Bridge 4- Teft probably dies in the 1st half.

Lopen probably lives for a while(hes the main herdazian in the story and there seems to be a lot to be learned about them) also his claim to be a former king would be interesting 

Rock- same as lopen but because hes a horneater

Taravangian- dies in book 5 screwing over Odium

Taln- probably doesn't get his head straight in the 1st arc, lives til the 2nd

Here is My List,

Kaladin - He will most definitely die, in an heroic act near the end of book 5.

Dalinar - He will ascend, though i am not sure at book 5 or 10. Proably book 5

Shallan -  I don't think will die, but will go mad, and become a crazy savant teacher book 6-10

Adolin -  Probably will die, and part of this will cause shallan's madness

Szeth - He can die, but probably not. He hates his people, and will go for vengence on them, but will find truth, and will have a redemption arc.

Nale - Will die at the hands or Szeth.

Heralds -  All heralds will die, at varied times in the series. Taln will probably be the last in Book 10.

Bridge 4 -  Some will die, Lopen is the most likely, Rock will survive.

Taravangian - I feed he will be killed by end of Book 4, i don't see hime surviving till book 5. I feel his death at the end of Book 4 will open the way for the defeat of Odium in Book 5

Odium - He is going to have a major set back in Book 5, and either will die/shatterd, or will be heavily injured and then killed by book 10.

Lift - will survive till the end.

Renarin, Jasnah are 50/50 to live or die. i don't see them having much affect of their death. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just read through this and am kind of surprised by people's opinions.  Especially about some characters.  

First of all, we have 3 main characters who move the story forward, or who the plot revolves around.  I see people who think all 3 are goners...?  Although Stormlight has lots of the elements of a Greek tragedy; with human foibles, errors realized too late, self deception and excessive pride leading to downfall, the tone being serious and drama bring up emotions of fear or pity, and fate seeming to play a role it still is at it's very core a comedy.  Happy Endings have been highlighted in all 3 books so far, not perfect endings but far from tragedy.  So while maybe not all 3 main characters make it, I would guess at least 2 out of 3 do.  I would further guess that we get a bigger happy ending after book 5, and then book 10.

Second, the big happy ending we have seen being set up for quite a while is Kaladin and Shellan.  That's the end of book 5 for sure.  So they both make it.

Third is another obvious one.  Adolin is in the way of that happy ending.  In the way doesn't feel right to describe him, but his relationship is one thing standing between the happy ending we've been promised.  He's also gone about as far as he can as a character currently.  He's too perfect of a character, too Marty Stu.  Even the one bit of flair he has had with killing Sadeas still feels too perfect.  He'll finish bringing Maya back, probably in this book, and in so doing convince all the spren that humans are the bestest.  It'll bring a flood of new Radiants into the fold (including Captain Ico bonding to "Captain" Rysn) and after that Adolin will die.  He'll be the perfect Martyr,  just like he was perfect at everything else.  It will also be the nudge that some other characters need to get over whatever their plot hangups will be.  His death will have a bigger impact on Dalinar, Renarin, Shellan, and Kaladin than anything else could have.

There's a bunch of others that I'm less sure of, but I think those 3 characters fates are written in stone. 

@Edonidd I disagree with your notion that SA will end with most major characters still alive. Brandon has done happy endings before, and had quite a lot of main character deaths in those endings. I don’t think that Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar will all die within the first five books (one of them might bite it around SA5, but not earlier) but a happy ending doesnt mean that they all live.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Edonidd I disagree with your notion that SA will end with most major characters still alive. Brandon has done happy endings before, and had quite a lot of main character deaths in those endings. I don’t think that Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar will all die within the first five books (one of them might bite it around SA5, but not earlier) but a happy ending doesnt mean that they all live.

A relatively good conclusion does not always mean characters have to survive. Even a positive conclusion still doesn't necessarily have surviving characters.

This is like his main epic fantasy series so i'm not entirely sure there would be alot of main character deaths but there will likely be some. This will almost certainly end in a good note tho.

Speculative guesses:

Lopen will be killed out of nowhere partway through book 4 and we will all cry as he dies in Kaladin's arms. Instead of Death Rattle nonsense, his last words will be Lopen nonsense. Why do I think this? Because it would blindside us out of nowhere and ram an emotional knife through our emotional guts, as Sanderson is so prevalent at accomplishing. I guess this simply out of the fact that it would be unexpected.

Now, for actually logical reasons, I'm pretty sure Taravangian will be dead by the end of book 5 or during the fifteen-year gap, mainly because he's really old and admitted to himself in Oathbringer that he only had a few years left to live. (And would likely never see Kharbranth again, boo hoo. :()

Roshone had better not get out of this mess alive by the end of book 5.

Same goes for Moash. Whether he gets a redemptive arc or not, he ought to be dead soon.

I get the feeling Ishar will die in book 4 for some reason. Like that will be a major event in the book, either halfway through or at the climax. But that's just a guess.

I tentatively agree with the presumption that Lift will live through to the end of the series.

As for the main main characters like Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar, I'm not even going to try speculating this. With them, I say come what may and let it be.

I think it's obvious Hoid will live. I will laugh if Sanderson even attempts at giving him a fakeout death at any point in the series.

I am guessing that Szeth will atone for his mistakes and die in a blaze of glory, but I have nothing to found that upon. Just a wild guess, like with Lopen's death.

Wanna talk about blindsiding us readers? What if little Gavinor and baby Oroden die before the end of book 5, and we were wrong to think they'd be main character in the back five, and we'll cry over their deaths, because they're just cute, innocent little baby boys getting caught up in all this crem?

I think that it is likely that either Adolin or Shallan will die. Kaladin will most likely survive until the end and either become a great leader (king) or die in battle. Dalinar, he will survive and most likely ascend to take up Honor before the end of the story. Kind of similar to Sazed, but in book 4 so that he can battle Odium on his home turf. Renarin is more important than we give him credit for, and I think that he will take over as highprince of the Kohlin princedom. Jasnah is not going any where, she is already very hard to kill based on her ability to soulcast and jump in to shademar. She is also in communication with many types of spren. That means that killing her is even harder than killing someone like Taln.