This is my first post (besides the Introduce Yourself post) that I have done on the 17th Shard.  I love coming on here and reading everyone's theories and speculations on the different series and books but I feel so completely overwhelmed that I'm hesitant to join in on any deep discussions.  Besides The Stormlight Archives, I haven't re read any of the books yet as I have just recently finished them in the first place.  Being a novice of the Cosmere I would love some tips and tricks from those of you who are well versed in the Cosmere.  I'd love to join in on some discussions and not look completely ignorant!  What are things you look for?  Certain words or phrases to take note of?  Next up on my list is the second Mistborn trilogy and then I will probably read the other Cosmere novels again.  Help me go from 17th Shard stalker to contributor!

Honestly? Try not to worry about it. 

We all start off feeling overwhelmed. You jump in and learn. Dig into WoBs on Arcanum if that's your thing. Just enjoy the discussion, and when you don't understand something ask, and everyone learns from it. 

Have fun, and explore. It's the best way to learn. 

Yeah like Calderis said. Just have fun theorycraft, agree with people, add to discussions, argue/disagree with people. 

Besides The Stormlight Archives, I haven't re read any of the books yet as I have just recently finished them in the first place.

Next up on my list is the second Mistborn trilogy and then I will probably read the other Cosmere novels again.  

Btw i'm confused what you mean. Anyways if you haven't read mistborn original trilogy then avoid any discussion/forums and avoid googling anything related to it cause that series is extremely spoiler-sensitive. One line literally ruins the series for you.

I guess I did word that funny.  I have read the original Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, Elantris, and The Stormlight Archives.  I have re read the Stormlight Archives because I also have them on Audible.  I still need to read the Wax and Wayne series.  Which is next after Emperor's Soul.  I just finished Elantris and was left feeling unsatisfied and with too many questions that I hope Emperor's Soul can fix for me. 

I just don't have a mind for theory craft and would love some pointers!  I joined this forum to join in on conversations because Brandon Sanderson has quickly become a favorite author of mine and none of my friends have read anything by him, despite my insistence and shoving his books in their faces. (I wonder why I'm still friends with them at this point ;))  After being on here for a month or so and joining in on some basic discussions like, who is your favorite character, I've come to the conclusion that I need help if I'm to ever join in on anything other than a poll or basic discussion!  Thankfully I have the Coppermind to refer too but would like to do some of the leg work myself.

34 minutes ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

I joined this forum to join in on conversations because Brandon Sanderson has quickly become a favorite author of mine and none of my friends have read anything by him, despite my insistence and shoving his books in their faces. (I wonder why I'm still friends with them at this point ;)

Ah you see you are not alone in that. I haven't been successful in converting people into the Church of Cosmere yet but i managed to made some of them read Mistborn. We'll get there(grudgingly)

Don't worry about discussing or theorycrafting too much. Everybody can be wrong and who says the popular opinion is always the correct one. 

2 hours ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

I just finished Elantris and was left feeling unsatisfied and with too many questions that I hope Emperor's Soul can fix for me. 

Not to be that guy, but they are extremely unrelated. There are some Elantris easter eggs there, but probably nothing that will fix your problems with Elantris. 

As to your major question, read WoBs, check out the Coppermind, ask about stuff you don’t get in the Q&A forum or on Discord. 

And then, don’t worry if you don’t know everything. I am a pretty bad theorycrafter myself, but there are other ways to contribute to the community :-)

7 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Not to be that guy, but they are extremely unrelated. There are some Elantris easter eggs there, but probably nothing that will fix your problems with Elantris. 

As to your major question, read WoBs, check out the Coppermind, ask about stuff you don’t get in the Q&A forum or on Discord. 

And then, don’t worry if you don’t know everything. I am a pretty bad theorycrafter myself, but there are other ways to contribute to the community :-)

I thought Emperor's Soul was the novella related to Elantris?  Does it just take place in the Sel system or am I totally wrong on this?

12 minutes ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

I thought Emperor's Soul was the novella related to Elantris?  Does it just take place in the Sel system or am I totally wrong on this?

They both just take place on Sel and its about 100 years after the events of Elantris. They are not related as far as story content is concerned. Its a short read and its really good.

Just now, BrightnessSamantha said:

Well, that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, can't get everything that we want!

I thought Elantris was fine but The Emperor's soul is incredibly good. His novella's quality are usually really high. Plus I like the magic system of this novela more that I like the one in Elantris. 

1 hour ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

Well, that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, can't get everything that we want!

Elantris is my least favorite Cosmere book story wise. I love Hrathen, and the magic, but... Yeah.

That said, TES is amazing. Has some very good information on the workings of the three realms, meshed seemlessly into what is just a beautifully constructed short. 

If there were only one story I could recommend to try to convert people to Sanderson, it would be that one. 

Edited by Calderis

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Elantris is my least favorite Cosmere book story wise. I love Hrathen, and the magic, but... Yeah.

That said, TES is amazing. Has some very good information on the workings of the three realms, meshed seemlessly into what is just a beautifully constructed short. 

If there were only one story I could recommend to try to convert people to Sanderson, it would be that one. 

Elantris is definitely my least favorite book as well. I agree that Hrathen was probably the only character with any kind of real development and the magic system and world building are the best part of the book.  I will still read Emperor's Soul and the other novella's in Arcanum Unbound.  I'm just glad Elantris wasn't the first Sanderson book I read as I probably wouldn't have continued with any other novels.  At least not for a while.

Edited by BrightnessSamantha

@BrightnessSamantha: Contrary to what you're asking and what other people seem to be suggesting, my recommendation is to steer clear of the site (or at the very least avoid the theories forums and other sections that have lots of spoilers) until you have finished reading Brandon's major Cosmere works, which looking at your list means just the Wax and Wayne books + Mistborn: Secret History (make sure you read that one last). Once you've finished Secret History you won't have to worry about any major spoilers and can peruse the forums while reading the other novellas and non-Cosmere novels at your leisure. 

• Chaos locked this topic