Quick Fix Game 33 - Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

Herowannabe

Last time I got a Pet Bird, now I've got Acid, a Bow and Arrow, AND a Dueling Cane? I should come to these conventions more often just for all the goodies. Ever since I was fired from the force for torturing suspects I've been strapped for cash financially. I can barely afford anything to torture people with, can you believe it?

Uh, I mean, the job itself is payment enough for me.

Okay, now I must go figure out a new torture interrogation method using a dueling cane, acid, bow and arrow, and pet birds. I'll need a volunteer to test it on, of course.

1 hour ago, Paranoid King said:

Thanks for your offer, torture pros are often hard acquired.

And a bird who fires acid arrows leaves nothing desired.

If you want to look for guilty ones, I can lend you aon kii -

With you and I together, we can solve this mystery!

Great, you just gave me a flashback of LG34. 

11 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

I am hyped. Hopefully these changes won’t swing the game too far in the Assassin’s favour. But there’s only one way to find out!

EDIT: Here's some RP.

*mutters about how Meta is so darn good at everything he does*

Higsedal was reading a book on how to play coppermind puzzles when he realized he needed to solve this murder. He thought about the Survival and Reasoning sets of copperminds he had stashed a mile away, along with Crafting (for costumes). He once again thanked his grandmother, Sandalur, who had taken it upon herself to organize her memories and those of her siblings into categories based on skills, rather than setting.

Higsedal's father and brother had followed in her footsteps, taking the Spike when they were still healthy to organize many of their past ancestors' memories as well. Whose idea it was to make location and atmosphere the defining factor of memories, and why they thought it was a good idea, Higsedal would never know. Of course, considering there was a new murderer about, he might not even get the chance to archive his own memories.

Fortunately, he had a backup plan; he had gone on several dangerous expeditions with copper Ferrings, and brought a spike along with them, were they to be mortally wounded on the trip. None ever were, but the leaders of each expedition noted his behavior and ancestral history, and granted him the spike of the last survivor of a Hoverer crash, who had been dying of starvation, stated aloud his will (which was to grant his possessions to his closest friend, Lanere, and his spike to whoever the rescue team deemed worthy), and spiked himself.

So now, were Higsedal to be wounded, he could spike himself and dump his memories until a relative could swap the Identity out and put his memories in the archive where they belonged.

Suddenly, he had a thought. He stopped his internal exposition due to the seriousness of this thought.

What if the murderer followed him to his most useful copperminds? Would they take his Temporary Spike of the Second Henksid (a copper medallion with said Henksid's Identity, meant for use of the more utility-focused copperminds) and dump the memories, losing them forever? He shuddered at the next thought, that even were he to never search out the copperminds, when he spiked himself the murderer might search his body for information, and find the copperminds anyways.

Higsedal would have to catch the murderer fast, lest he have to go to the Beyond without leaving his Cognitive self behind in the archive.

Harry turned his head as the note from the oracle was read.  He had been looking forward to studying Investicon for his new movie, A PI to the Face, a story about a man who works as a clown during the day but moonlights as a private investigator.  Now, he was actually going to get a chance to BE a PI.  Harry looked over his shoulder at a plant in the corner, a thoughtful look on his face.

Holmlock Shears walked into the Investicon hall a good day later than intended. Unfortunately, the case of the missing animal crackers had kept him occupied for longer than intended, sadly a not uncommon occurrence when the French burglar got involved. He was here now though, and clearly not a moment too soon. A soothsayer,  after having predicted their own kidnapping, had gone missing, and it was up to the finest minds in the investigative  multiverse to find him before worse befell the good man.

Day 1: A Mess

The Oracle's shop was a mess. No, worse than that. When you walk into a messy room there is at least some sense of where things should go, what does belong and what doesn't, what is garbage and what should be kept. Not so with the Oracle's shop. 

At first glance the Investigators immediately thought that the place had been ransacked, likely by whoever kidnapped the Oracle, but after only a few minutes they were forced to discard that hypothesis. Even the most determined of looters would have given up after only a few minutes. The room was filled with all sorts of junk, such as oversized cards painted with vaguely mysterious pictures, bowls containing small bones with strange markings on them, stacks of cages containing small animals such as birds, rats, cremlings, lizards, cats, pigs, and goats beneath a sign that read "Haruspicy Specimens," sacks of strange flavorless cookies with little slips of paper folded inside of them, "magic" tarachin balls that would answer yes or no questions when you shook them, large glass spheres, broken mirrors, stacks of books, shrunken heads, star charts, unwashed tea cups, shelves lined with vials of various colors, abstract paintings, flat boards with alphabets written out on them, piles of half-used candles, odd-sized bowls and urns, and on and on and on. And those were just the things that were immediately identifiable. There were piles of unidentifiable auguries, baubles, trinkets, artifacts, relics, and tokens. 

The investigators paused for a moment, drinking in the full weight of the task ahead of them and wondering if perhaps it might be better to let the assassin get away with the crime, just this once, then collectively took a deep breath and began searching for whatever clues the Oracle had hidden there. 

Day 1 has begun! Here are your Oracle clues:

Spoiler
Cause of Death Location of Crime #3 Victim's Clothes Murderer's Personality Motive Trace at the Scene
Suffocation Big City Neat Arrogant Hatred Fingerprint
Severe Injury Small Town Untidy Despicable Justice/Revenge Footprint
Loss of Blood Road/Canal Elegant Furious Necessity Bruises
Supernatural Wilderness Shabby Greedy Greed Blood Stain
Poisoning/ Sickness Fields Bizarre Forceful Power Body Fluid
Accident Sea/Ocean Naked Insane Love Residual Investiture

Player List:

Spoiler
# Player Name Methods of Murder Pieces of Evidence
1 Elandera / Oyh Sword, Deathweed Bark, Meekers, Dreok's Axe, Aon Daa (Power),  Axehound Pup, Bullet Casings, Aluminum Hat, Ancient Text, Tears of Edgli Flowers, 
2 MetaTerminal / Felksi Fenweed Poison, Rathbore Monk, Scarf, Koloss Blade, Surgebinding,  White Sand, Withered Hand, Singed Cloak, Aviar Feather, Message Written in Blood, 
3 Snipexe / The Witness Steelrunning, Nightmaw, Nightblood, Midnight Essence, Poisoned Wine,  Pet Monkey, Red Flag, Ceremonial Bowl, Piece of Ralkalest, Religious Text, 
4 Droughtbringer / In Bloodsealing, Metal Poisoning, Rioting, Dagger, Punch,  Water Bottle, Chull Dung, Vandalism, Dust, False Beard, 
5 Madagascar / Mad Acid, Dueling Cane, Bow & Arrow, Ettmetal Explosion, Aimian,  Children’s Book, Cracked Gemstone, Fancy Dress, Larkin Corpse, Boots, 
6 Steeldancer / Squid of Steel Skeletals , Enhanced Strength, Poisoned Needle, Backbreaker Powder, Atium,  Ice, Blood, Straw Man, Scorch marks, Vandalized Statue, 
7 Paranoid King / The Ghost of John Smith Blackbane Leaf, Deathants, Birchbane, Whitespine, Awakened Rope,  Triangular Razors, Aon Kii, Pot of Stew, Aon Ashe Plate, Spectacles, 
8 Randuir / Holmlock Shears Bare Hands, Burned at the Stake, Obsidian Axe, Swampvine, Kick,  Tattoo, Survivor Pendant, Crem , Firemoss, Hairpin, 
9 I Think I am Here. / Itiah VII Lost Divine Breath, Dakhor Ritual, Shades, Blood Loss, Venomous Bite,  Horseshoes, Stick, Empty Vial, Ink, Spanreed, 
10 Bort / May Bebort Jeskeri Cult Ritual, Booby Trap, Mistwraith, Grandbow, Firesnap Lizards,  Bones, Footprint, Cigar Case, RaiDel Pepper, Lavis Beer, 
11 Rathmaskal / Harry Hemalurgic Chimera, Smoke, Toxic Fungus, Glass Dagger, Air-powered Crossbow,  Artifact, Scorch Marks, Dirt, Priest’s Robes, Fashion Magazine, 
12 Devotary of Spontaneity / Fourth of the Twilight Poisoned Dart, Cut-away vines, Torture, Highstorm, Shardplate,  Broadsheet, Aon Reod, Crab Legs, Map, Wetleek Sap Trail, 
13 A Joe in the Bush / Various Divide Beheading, Shardblade, Cliff, Deepwalker, Betrayal,  Medallion, Lockpicks, Safehand Glove, Soulstamp, Shu-Korath Pendant, 
14 Kidpen / Alvron Duel, Hammer, Patji’s Finger, Strangle, Hook,  Aonic Dictionary, Purple Blood Droplets, MaiPon Sticks, Saddle Strap, Lak, 
15 Cadmium Compounder / Spork Soulcasting, Explosion, Lifeless Soldier, Rifle, Dehydration,  Hoofprints, Glow Paste, Wig, Smoke, Rotspren, 
16 Walin / Higsedal The Shaod, Chasmfiend, Black Frayn, Fire, Martial Arts,  Forged Painting, Infused Spheres, A'kar's Symbol, Lamp, Skull, 

Link to the spreadsheet

Link to the Rules

gra_1536206400.png

Edited by Herowannabe
added writeup

I’m planning to make a deeper read on this later, but a few basic observations:

Accident suggests something that is not targeted, where the murderer isn’t intending for a specific person to die. Combined with necessity, it suggests they were discovered doing something illegal and were forced to hide the evidence?

Wilderness points very strongly to something from First of the Sun, or some sort of animal. Combined with footprint, and we’re probably looking at some sort of creature or person involved (or the murderer used Kick). Despicable doesn’t point to anything in particular, but fits with Accident (they were uncaring of the target) or might indicate something sinister like a Dakhor Ritual or the use of a particularly savage creature.

And finally, the most helpful clue of them all: the victim had untidy clothes. This probably indicates that they were roughed up, but not too severely damaged.

All in all, I’m pointing to some sort of animal or creature used in the killing, which should narrow our options somewhat.

The biggest thing that stands out to me as possibly fitting an unkempt appearance would be Singed Cloak, however, MetaTerminal doesn't have an associating means that would really fit the accidental part. I had considered Fenwood Poison, but then realized poison is its own category.

Other things that might fit in with an unkempt appearance:

• False Beard
  • Scorch Marks (if those are on the clothes and not left behind)
  • Wig
  • Hairpin (if it was left behind, the person's hair might be a mess)

Things that fit other clues:

• Cutaway Vines (accidental/wilderness)
  • Footprint
  • Hoofprint
  • Boots
  • Booby Trap
  • Explosion
  • Chasmfiend
  • Fire
  • Patji's Finger
  • Highstorm
  • Cliff
  • Whitespine
  • Ettmetal Explosion
  • Nightmaw

Things I've crossed off the list:

Spoiler
  • Fashion Magazine (not likely to be associated someone with an untidy appearance)
  • Fancy Dress
  • Spectacles
  • Safehand Glove
  • Fenwood Poison
  • Poisoned Wine
  • Metal Poisoning
  • Poisoned Needle
  • Backbreaker Powder
  • Blackbane Leaf
  • Deathants
  • Birchbane
  • Swampvine
  • Venomous bite
  • Firesnap Lizards
  • Toxic Fungus
  • Poisoned Dart
  • Black Frayn
  • The Shaod
  • Soulcasting
  • Lost Divine Breath
  • Jeskeri Cult Ritual
  • Beheading
  • Duel
  • Martial arts
  • Dehydration
  • Lifeless Soldier
  • Rifle
  • Hook
  • Strangle
  • Hammer
  • Torture
  • Shardplate
  • Betrayal
  • Hemalurgic Chimera
  • Smoke
  • Glass Dagger
  • Air-powered Crossbow
  • Mistwraith
  • Grandbow
  • Blood Loss
  • Dakhor Ritual
  • Shades
  • Bare Hands
  • Burned at the Stake
  • Obsidian Axe
  • Kick
  • Awakened Rope
  • Atium
  • Enhanced Strength
  • Skeletals
  • Acid
  • Dueling Cane
  • Bow & Arrow
  • Aimian
  • Dagger
  • Punch
  • Rioting
  • Bloodsealing
  • Steelrunning
  • Nightlbood
  • Midnight Essence
  • Rathbore Monk
  • Scarf
  • Koloss Blade
  • Surgebinding
  • Sword
  • Deathweed Bark
  • Meekers
  • Dreok's Axe
  • Aon Daa

After compiling the list, I'm leaning toward CadCom being the Assassin, with explosion and Hoofprints. Though it would find it kind of funny if Bort was the assassin and chose booby trap again.

Edited by Elandera

A lot of these clues sound very first of the sun to me. Especially the wilderness/accident/necessity combo. I'm fairly certain hunters Always ended up in conflict with each other if they crossed tracks, because that was how thing where done/expected. Anyway, lets see what the various clues indicate.

Accident

Rioting

Ettmetal explosion

booby trap

Patji's finger

Dehydration

shades

deathants (maybe)

nightmaw (maybe)

whitespine (maybe)

firesnap lizards (maybe)

Chasmfiend (very maybe)

I've included most wildlife as maybe's, as the most common way to employ these as a weapon would be in a trap-ish way, which would include accident. I'm including ettmetal explosion but not the normal one, as ettmetal is something you can accidentally set off, but an explosion less so.

Wilderness

Nighmaw

Deathants

whitespine

shades

firesnap lizards

highstorm

chasmfiend

patji's finger

I don't see much evidence that would point without doubt to accident or wilderness, to quite a few could fit one of these.

Sorry for the late analysis!

So, yeah, I do agree that wilderness could point to only a limited amount of murder methods and evidences, and accident only narrows that down. The consensus seems to be with animals, and accident does fit that, however, it does seem wilderness could also match the habitat of any other animal, and also fit the setting of Threnody, which I haven't seen anyone bring up. That world is pretty much a big forest, and things like shades could kinda classify as animals, fitting with the animal-trap theme.

Wait a second, just saw Randuir's post with shades, so nevermind.

Out of all the FotS things we have, I'd think Patji's Finger fits accidental the most, with you accidentally drawing all the animals near, though that doesn't fit untidy clothes, so maybe not. But then again, neat, elegant, shabby and bizarre wouldn't fit an animal-attack victim's clothes either and if the body is clothed it isn't naked. So, eh?

Another thing that's seemed to be forgotten is hiking/camping related death. Dehydration could technically count as an accidental death, and let's be honest, your not going to die from lack of water in a big city. Unkept clothes would fit this (obviously), and so it seems the perfect non-animal death and overall not-very-notable death for a murderer to pick to fool everyone else.

Also, I think the fact that the motive was neseccity is severely underrated. If something was done out of necessity, it means it was done as a last resort, right? Accident seems to fit with this. Noting this, I find it easy to rule out booby-traps, as they would require planning, right? And if our murderer really did act out of necessity, then they wouldn't plan something so intricate only to use as a last resort. So this rules out booby-traps as well as many of the seemingly-planned murder methods, including the death-by-animal ones, as that would require planning, which the murderer didn't have (hence necessity being picked).

This is why I personally find the more in-the-moment murders more likely, as they are not only overshadowed by the vast numbers of animals, but also follow our clues. Hence, fitting with the wilderness, I think cliff seems a very likely option. A cliff would be mostly be found in the wilderness, a cliff would be an 'accidental' death, and pushing someone off of one seems a very in-the-moment thing to do, fitting with necessity.

As with clothes, unkempt seems the best pick for such a murder method. Nothing would really happen to them, save for being a bit untidy. And for footprints? Well, walking off away from a cliffside could count as that, I guess.

Overall, my current suspion is on Joe in the Bush, aka Various Divide (a Threnodite name!). Same as last time, not gonna make an accusation just yet, but cliff really does seem like it would work. Then again, I argued strongly for Aons last time, so maybe I have just sprinted in the wrong direction again.

>>>>>RP<<<<<

Itiah VII was hungry, but he knew that it was only because his author needed a complication to make his post more interesting.

Itiah VII was also annoyed his name kept autocorrecting to Utah.

But most of all, he was hungry.

Taking out a small metal vial, speckled with all 16 Allomantic metals, Itiah downed the vial, because obviously Mistborn couldn't just "drink". Nope, they "gulped" it, or "downed" it, or "threw it in the air, did a five-arc somersault before caching its contents perfectly in their mouth" it. Darn Mistborn, never stopping to think about whether their awesomeness had an effect on others around you. A few weeks of reading about them and it made you feel bad you couldn't just drink metal and slow down time.

Itiah VII guessed it was probably because they had an author who was known for making things awesome. Completely unlike his own writer, who would attempt to spice up his post by making his character hungry, of all things. Nooooo, no god of supreme hate, no tyrannical grandpa, no god of magical talking earrings. Even Itiah would take the magical earring god over being hungry. That or the tyrannical grandpa. What was his name again? He was a lord and he ruled. Hmm...

Speaking of names (though no one was actually speaking), Itiah VII couldn't stand his own. Seriously, what type of inner crisis do you have to be to name your character after an acronym? And a terrible one at that!? If anyone could describe to Itiah the symbolism of having 'I think I am here. (don't forget the full-stop)' as his name, he would award them an empty metal vial as their award, as that was all he had and besides, anyone could tell you if this 'symbolised' that or that 'symbolises' this. The trick was actually getting them to believe you. And then scamming them afterwards.

There was also the fact that no one, and he meant no one, knew his last name. Heck, even his writer didn't know Itiah's last name, and Itiah VII knew the writer just preferred to ignore it whenever it came up. If Itiah was Itiah VII's first name, why was Itiah Manor called 'Itiah Manor' and not by their last names? Unless their names were Itiah Itiah, which would be stupid.

Knowing his post was probably getting too long, the writer tried hurriedly ending it by giving Itiah VII a cookie, which was a win-win for everyone.

I figure I'll organize all the murder methods by type. Italicized if it could also be an accident.

Spoiler

Suffocation: Scarf, Awakened Rope, Bare hands, smoke, Beheading, Strangle

Severe Injury: Sword, Dreok's Axe, Koloss blade, Dagger, Punch, Dueling cane, Bow and Arrow, Enhanced Strength, Burned at the Stake, Obsidian axe, Kick, Grandbow, Glass Dagger, Air Crossbow, Torture, Cliff, Duel, Hammer, Hook, Rifle, Martial Arts

Loss of blood: Blood Loss

Supernatural: Aon Daa, Rathbore Monk, Surgebinding, Steelrunning, Nightblood, Midnight Essence, Bloodsealing, Skeletal, Atium, Divine Breath, Dakhor Ritual, Shades, Jeskeri Cult Ritual, Hemalurgic chimera, Highstorm, Shardplate, Shardblade, Soulcasting, Lifeless Soldier

Poisoning/sickness: Deathweed bark, Meekers, Fenweed poison, Poisoned wine, Metal poisoning, Acid, Poisoned needle, Backbreaker powder, Blackbane leaf, Deathants, Birchbane, Venomous bite, Toxic fungus, Poisoned dart, Dehydration, The Shaod, Black frayn,

Accident: Nightmaw, Rioting, Ettmetal Explosion, Aimian, Whitespine, Swampvine, Booby Trap, Mistwraith, Firesnap lizards, Cut-away vines, Deepwalker, Patji's finger, Explosion, chasmfiend, fire

Other: Betrayal

So here's what my player list looks like:

Spoiler

Player Name

Methods of Murder

Pieces of Evidence

Elandera / Oyh

Sword, Deathweed Bark, Meekers, Dreok's Axe, Aon Daa (Power),

Axehound Pup, Bullet Casings, Aluminum Hat, Ancient Text, Tears of Edgli Flowers

MetaTerminal / Felksi

Fenweed Poison, Rathbore Monk, Scarf, Koloss Blade, Surgebinding,

White Sand, Withered Hand, Singed Cloak, Aviar Feather, Message Written in Blood, 

Snipexe / The Witness

Steelrunning, Nightmaw, Nightblood, Midnight Essence, Poisoned Wine,

Pet Monkey, Red Flag, Ceremonial Bowl, Piece of Ralkalest, Religious Text, 

Droughtbringer / In

Bloodsealing, Metal Poisoning, Rioting, Dagger, Punch,

Water Bottle, Chull Dung, Vandalism, Dust, False Beard, 

Madagascar / Mad

Acid, Dueling Cane, Bow & Arrow, Ettmetal Explosion, Aimian,

Children’s Book, Cracked Gemstone, Fancy Dress, Larkin Corpse, Boots,

Steeldancer / Squid of Steel

Skeletals, Enhanced Strength, Poisoned Needle, Backbreaker Powder, Atium,

Ice, Blood, Straw Man, Scorch marks, Vandalized Statue, 

Paranoid King / The Ghost of John Smith

Blackbane Leaf, Deathants, Birchbane, Whitespine, Awakened Rope,

Triangular Razors, Aon Kii, Pot of Stew, Aon Ashe Plate, Spectacles, 

Randuir / Holmlock Shears

Bare Hands, Burned at the Stake, Obsidian Axe, Swampvine, Kick,

Tattoo, Survivor Pendant, Crem , Firemoss, Hairpin, 

I Think I am Here. / Itiah VII

Lost Divine Breath, Dakhor Ritual, Shades, Blood Loss, Venomous Bite,

Horseshoes, Stick, Empty Vial, Ink, Spanreed, 

Bort / May Bebort

Jeskeri Cult Ritual, Booby Trap, Mistwraith, Grandbow, Firesnap Lizards,

Bones, Footprint, Cigar Case, RaiDel Pepper, Lavis Beer, 

Rathmaskal / Harry

Hemalurgic Chimera, Smoke, Toxic Fungus, Glass Dagger, Air-powered Crossbow,

Artifact, Scorch Marks, Dirt, Priest’s Robes, Fashion Magazine, 

Devotary of Spontaneity / Fourth of the Twilight

Poisoned Dart, Cut-away vines, Torture, Highstorm, Shardplate,

Broadsheet, Aon Reod, Crab Legs, Map, Wetleek Sap Trail

A Joe in the Bush / Various Divide

Beheading, Shardblade, Cliff, Deepwalker, Betrayal,

Medallion, Lockpicks, Safehand Glove, Soulstamp, Shu-Korath Pendant, 

Kidpen / Alvron

Duel, Hammer, Patji’s Finger, Strangle, Hook,

Aonic Dictionary, Purple Blood Droplets, MaiPon Sticks, Saddle Strap, Lak, 

Cadmium Compounder / Spork

Soulcasting, Explosion, Lifeless Soldier, Rifle, Dehydration,

Hoofprints, Glow Paste, Wig, Smoke, Rotspren, 

Walin / Higsedal

The Shaod, Chasmfiend, Black Frayn, Fire, Martial Arts,

Forged Painting, Infused Spheres, A'kar's Symbol, Lamp, Skull, 

I also have wilderness-related clues underlined.

Kidpen, what is a Lak?

Edited by Paranoid King
Underlined wilderness

Hmmm. I have no idea who's doing what yet, but I would say that an "accident" would make the killer likely to be far from the scene of the crime--because if they can be further away, then they would be, to distance themselves from the evidence.

Then, that theory is overturned by the murder taking place in the wilderness. Far less foot traffic, more cover, and a wealth of "accident"-favoring death traps--the murderer can take their chances and just stay by the victim to make sure that when they trip or bump their head, they'll die. There wouldn't be any witnesses unless the victim was hiking with a companion, so the only thing the witness could do is hear rustling or see some shadows in the forest.

Add that to "untidy" and "footprint," and the victim looks like they were searched after death (or rather, had their vitals checked) by the murderer. In real life, none of these connections could exist with any level of certainty--the witness could have searched the body, the murderer could have set tripwires and not even been present in the murder (meaning the sight the witness caught was during the setup phase of the scene), the victim could have been killed completely by accident, etc. etc.

But here, I think my meta-analysis stands well. The murderer stayed near to the victim, and will likely have grass stains on their skin or some other form of evidence.

-----------------

Higsedal walked in a direction away from Investicon. It wasn't the direction, if he knew what he meant, but it was enough of one for his purposes. Of course, he didn't know what he meant--he started walking in his current direction, then stored the location of the...supplies...once he had his bearings. If anyone was reading his mind, they wouldn't know anything that Higsedal didn't intend for them to know.

He should have brought his course on Checking Surveillance and Tracking with him; however, he hadn't expected a murder to take place. Thus, he kept his eyes forward and occasionally looked at scenery. When he turned around, he would catch his trail.

If there was one. Was Higsedal even a target here? What was the murderer's game? The Oracle had said they killed out of necessity--but was it so they could hide evidence of a previous crime, or so they could use the victim's death to further their own ends?

Lots to think about, and plenty of distance to walk. Higsedal pulled out his Pocket Musician (the Nalthis equivalent of a Walkman, somehow costing only a quarter of a Breath, due to the Lifeless inside being that of a centipede, which played a piano) and activated it. He'd have some songs to listen to as he went.

Mad nods in approval upon noting how much of the evidence in her possession could have been used to kill the Oracle. If they could be used to kill, surely they could be used to torture.

She looks forward to applying her incredible logical mind (well, that or outsourcing the thinking to the Pet Bird and Pig) to the problem, assuming the case actually lasts long enough this time for her to do that.

When she had first looked at the evidence, she had found herself most suspicious of Cutaway Vines. Admittedly, that might just be because of how many times they had killed all her tomatoes.

52 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

From first of the sun. It's basically a natural net trap.

Thanks! That doesn't seem like an obvious solution, thought it's not a bad fit to 'wilderness' and 'accident'. I also think we need to take a look at the footprint evidence, as that one seems like an important clue as well, given that most of the options on that card could be used to point to something specific.

Footprint weapons

Steelrunning

Kick

deepwalker

Other weapons can leave footprints, but these are things that are particularly associated with this option over the other options.

Footprint evidence

boots

Horseshoes

Footprint (elementary, dear Watson)

wetleek sap trail (maybe)

hoofprints

I think it's actually quite likely one of the above pieces of evidence is related to the murderer.

Edited by randuir