Quick Fix Game 33 - Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

Herowannabe

Mad struggles to keep the crazed murderer restrained.

Suspect is ARMED and DANGEROUS! Repeat, armed and dangerous! Where's my storming backup!?

With a loud oink, Scarry the forensic pig lunges forward and sort of awkwardly trips up Selksi.

Uh that was useful. I NEED ACTUAL BACKUP!

With a loud squawk, the PET BIRD flutters down from the ceiling and poos on Mad's head.

*sigh* I'm too old for this [WORDS DROWNED OUT BY ANIMAL SOUNDS]

37 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Well, that was unexpected. My bad. :P

Did you just apologize for winning the game *(if the witness survives)? :P

Also, quick PSA everyone: Our illustrious IM @Alvron has given us permission to rerun this game immediately. So as soon as this game wraps up we’ll have a brief intermission period where people can drop out or jump in if they want, and then we’ll start game#2. More details to follow. :D

Larry heard the accusation and quickly dismissed it.  There was no way an investigator, even one part of Investicon, would have enough information ALREADY to be able to legitimately make an accusation.  Then, the Oracle confirmed.  Well then.  Larry switched hats immediately.

Excuse me, Mr. Selksi.  Not only do I sell insurance, but I also dabble in the bail bond industry.  I can have you out of prison, able to defend yourself immediately upon your arraignment, assuming the judge allows a bail amount that is.  Other than that, I do have several insurance plans available for the incarcerated.

• Stolen lunch insurance
  • Prison yard insurance
  • Abusive guard insurance

Among others.  Additionally, I can recommend quite a good lawyer.  My brother Barry is an excellent defense attorney.

~~

Well done Elandera.

Edited by Rathmaskal
typo

38 minutes ago, Droughtbringer said:

Well, I guess our best bet now would be to do as much of an IKYK as possible to try and throw the elims off of everyone's trail. The less likely we make it for them to figure it out the better.

Anyone want to claim to be the Witness?

No but I am totally the Accomplice.

50 minutes ago, Droughtbringer said:

Well, I guess our best bet now would be to do as much of an IKYK as possible to try and throw the elims off of everyone's trail. The less likely we make it for them to figure it out the better.

Yep. 

Congrats to Elandera!

1 hour ago, Droughtbringer said:

Yep. I am 1,000% the witness.

Of course, if Mr. Murd has no idea who the witness is, he could off himself. It makes for an interesting write-up and lets him escape justice. Just a thought.

Itiah VII heard the Oracle confirm an accusation, and became slightly annoyed he hadn’t been able to be played for long. He had an itching feeling his writer had had fun when writing him, and so came up with an idea.

“Hey!” He yelled out.

You know I’m right here.

“I have an idea. How about you use me for your next game? You can do your character development and all that jazz there!”

Nah, it’s supposed to be a different Itiah each game, so I’ll probably make you have like a son or something.

“I’m not even married!”

Not yet. The plot compels people to do weird things...

At this point, Itiah gave up all hope. He wanted to be played, not to be left as another entry in his writer’s signature.

He also realised something, something mindbreaking, something even the writer wouldn’t guess, if he wasn’t writing this right now.

“Hey, you realise you’re talking to yourself, right? If I’m fictional and you’re real, you’re actually just talking to yourself. Wierdo.”

“Wait what?” The real Itiah said, standing up from his chair. “What?”

“That’s right. Sure, what if I’m a figment of your imagination, then what? All that means is that you just fooled yourself into talking to and screen, and just write the responses.”

“No,” the real Itiah mumbled, sitting back down.

“Also, you’re going to look like an idiot when you submit this, so I would recommend not to. Also, who’s narrating you?”

The real Itiah looked at the text on the screen and realised that he’d been writing himself in third person in the quote boxes.

But.. that meant, even he wasn’t real, and the actual, actual Itiah was just writing his story down as well.

He’d been in the same situation as his fourth wall breaking character, and he hadn’t even realised. Somewhere, somehow, the real real Itiah was writing his story down as he wrote Itiah VII’s.

It was like fourth-wall-ception, and Itiah has no doubt that the actual actual Itiah has used it to appear smart, what did it all mean? Was life pointless? Where do you stretch the line between real and fake. 

Was he really just another character?

Just about, man.

As his accusers began to trace the roads of Silverlight, looking for the murderer, Selksi waited in the shadows. His hands gripped the large axe, squeezing the cold handle as one of the investigators began to approach. As far as he could tell, this was the person who had witnessed his crime.

The investigator stepped towards his hiding space, alone in the dark street. Selksi stepped out to meet them. His quarry saw him, stepping backwards, trying to flee, but they could not escape his blade.

One way or another, the game was over.

@Herowannabe, I accuse Paranoid King of being the Witness.

(I'm going to be honest, I am 100% rooting for Metaspren to succeed on an amazing 1/17 guess and successfully kill the witness and win the game just because that would be hilarious)

Mad's headlock on Selksi is broken and the murderer runs toward the crowd, bloodthirst in his eyes

STORM IT I TOLD YOU I NEEDED BACKUP

NO I DON'T MEAN MORE PET BIRDS

Oyh sat nervously, waiting for the end. He felt like he was buzzing as much as Veh. Had he been able to do enough? Would they fail despite it all?

"Mmm. Numbers. Good odds," said Veh, like he could sense what worried Oyh.

"But my odds were worse, and look what happened there," Oyh countered.

"Mmm. It was an anomaly in statistics. Good clues, good help."

It didn't help him feel any better. Selksi was so close to being captured. But would it be enough? Oyh and Veh sat. Waiting.

Epilogue

1 hour ago, Metaspren said:

As his accusers began to trace the roads of Silverlight, looking for the murderer, Selksi waited in the shadows. His hands gripped the large axe, squeezing the cold handle as one of the investigators began to approach. As far as he could tell, this was the person who had witnessed his crime.

The investigator stepped towards his hiding space, alone in the dark street. Selksi stepped out to meet them. His quarry saw him, stepping backwards, trying to flee, but they could not escape his blade.

One way or another, the game was over.

John 'Not-A-Murderer-At-All' Smith cried out as the axe fell, burying itself deep into his shoulder. He fell to the ground, screaming and writhing. The wound was a mortal one, but it wasn't immediately fatal. Selksi tried to wrench the axe free to finish his second victim off, but it was stuck and wouldn't pull free. 

Selksi heard running footsteps behind him as he finally wrenched the axe free. He spun around just in time to catch a glimpse of someone swinging a knife at him. The two of them crashed into each other and Selksi felt something thump against his chest, but the pain was minimal. They rolled across the street a few times before Selksi was able to kick the other man off of him. He snatched up his axe and prepared to swing, but he heard shouts and more footsteps coming closer, drawn by John Smith's cries of pain, so he turned and fled into the darkness instead. 

Moments later the street was filled with people, most surrounding John Smith and trying desparately to treat his injury, but a few stopped to check on Wirito and help him to his feet. He had twisted his ankle in his brief tussle with Selksi, but it wasn't too bad. 

"What happened?" someone asked. 

"I caught Selksi just in time to see him attack John and I tackled him, but he fought his way free and ran off." Wirito said.

"Damnation, he got away again!" 

"Not quite," Wirito said slyly. He pulled a strange metal device out of his backpack and began adjusting a few dials and knobs set into the side of it. He pressed a button and a flat panel on the device flashed, then resolved into a hazy image. It looked vaguely like a map, and there was a brightly glowing dot slowly moving across it's surface.

Selksi slipped into the safehouse and closed the door behind him. 

"Well?" Tezed asked, getting up out of his chair. "What happened?"

"I killed John," Selksi said. "Or at least, he won't survive for long. I'm pretty sure he was the one we saw when we set the booby trap. The other investigators nearly caught me, but I gave them the slip and made my way back here. Nobody followed me."

Tezed sighed, relaxing. "So we're good then. We just have to slip through the nearest perpendicularity and... Hey, you're bleeding!"

Selksi looked down at his chest where Tezed was pointing. Indeed there was a small trickle of blood staining his shirt, and a small glint of something metallic protruding slightly. "Hmm? Oh, that's nothing. I can barely even feel it. Come on, let's grab our stuff and get outta here."

"Barely even- Man there's something sticking out of your chest, come here."

Selksi tried to resist, but Tezed was quicker, grabbing Selksi and pulling something out of his chest. He held it up. In the dim light they could make out what seemed to be a large nail. Or perhaps, a small spike. "What the-?"

They were interrupted as the door burst in, investigators flooding into the room. Leading the charge was a crazy woman with a large pig with bloodthirsty eyes.

Selksi and Tezed never stood a chance. 

The End!

Congratulations to the investigators! In case it wasn't clear from the write ups, here was the role distribution:

Metaspren (Selksi) - Assassin

Randuir (Tezed) - Co-conspirator

Wiritospren - Witness

All the rest of the players were investigators. 

I wasn't sure how balanced the game would be with this many people so I just did one of each role to see how it would play out. I think next time we might do something to give the Assassin a bit of an edge. 

In fact, I'm thinking that we should change the Location #4 tile (the one with the various shardworlds) to something that isn't so cosmere specific. I think it makes it too hard for the Assassin to pick clues when the majority of them can be easily identified by which planet they're from. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Anyway, I'll go ahead and start a new thread for the game #2, so we can leave this one for anyone who wants to discuss this game. 

Oh, that reminds me, here is a link to the Conspirator's doc.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Herowannabe