Quick Fix Game 33 - Deception: Murder in the Cosmere

Herowannabe

Sorry for low activity guys. I think I've been busy enough recently that I'll take at least a short hiatus from playing until I am able to be more active. That being said, I'm about to get home, so within an hour or two I should hopefully be able to post my personal spreadsheet and critique others. 

Some of the more plausible combinations I've seen so far include:

Madagascar: Ettmetal Explosion, Boots (possibly fits accident, untidy since they lost their boots, and footprint because they were wearing boots which are likely to leave good imprints)

Bort: Booby Trap, Footprint

CadCom: Explosion, Hoofprints

Devotary: Cut-away Vines/Highstorm, Wetleek Sap Trail (this is more of a stretch, but vines and highstorm seem to fit accident well)

At this point, I think we may have a good amount to learn on D2 when some of the tiles shift. I agree with Meta, in the sense we may want to hold off on any more guesses this cycle.

Also, would anyone be able to confirm if the mechanic discussed at the end of last game regarding the Assassin/Co-Conspirator being able to lay a false trail among the clues has been implemented? That could be throwing off our guesses.

8 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Also, would anyone be able to confirm if the mechanic discussed at the end of last game regarding the Assassin/Co-Conspirator being able to lay a false trail among the clues has been implemented? That could be throwing off our guesses.

We did not include that mechanic in this game. There are no hidden mechanics or roles or anything like that. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Hello everyone!

I would like to confess something!

I am the Witness!

I know. Shocking, right? Well, it's true, and throughout my (admittedly crazy) posts there's some actual truth that may or may not link to the assassins. But I know what you're thinking: If I'm the witness, then I've pretty much doomed the game by admitting it.

Incorrect!

You, see, what I've started is a highly complex IKYK with the elims. They'll only have one guess for witness, so they could guess me, or they could think I'm just covering up for someone else, or they could guess that a real witness would never reveal themselves, and that's what I'm counting on. Or maybe it's not. IKYK for the win!

So, yeah. I am admitting this to say that my crazy posts may have some truth, and also to IKYK with the elims, as they won't know whether I'm actually the elim, or covering up, or pretending to cover up, or pretending to pretend to cover up in order to cover up my own role!

Ok, confession over.

(but seriously, I was trying to make my posts deliberately far-fetched so the murderer would think I was the witness instead of the actual one, but I didn't want you to waste all of your guess on me, hence the admission (or is this all a lie to fool the elims??))

Edited by I think I am here.
"Let me out!" Itiah shouted, banging the walls of this new, confined, space. He needed to get out.

23 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Hello everyone!

I am the Witness!

I know. Shocking, right? Well, it's true, and throughout my (admittedly crazy) posts there's some actual truth that may or may not link to the assassins. But I know what you're thinking: If I'm the witness, then I've pretty much doomed the game by admitting it.

Incorrect!

You, see, what I've started is a highly complex IKYK with the elims. They'll only have one guess for witness, so they could guess me, or they could think I'm just covering up for someone else, or they could guess that a real witness would never reveal themselves, and that's what I'm counting on. Or maybe it's not. IKYK for the win!

So, yeah. I am admitting this to say that my crazy posts may have some truth, and also to IKYK with the elims, as they won't know whether I'm actually the elim, or covering up, or pretending to cover up, or pretending to pretend to cover up in order to cover up my own role!

Ok, confession over.

(but seriously, I was trying to make my posts deliberately far-fetched so the murderer would think I was the witness instead of the actual one, but I didn't want you to waste all of your guess on me, hence the admission (or is this all a lie to fool the elims??))

Or, is this all a lie to fool us?

Greaaaaaaaaat. A conspirator-looking player roleclaims as witness (who should NEVER roleclaim if they want to win), claims IKYK with the elims, and generally makes everything more confusing.

Ignoring all of that: ITIAH is either a co-conspirator seeding confusion, a witness hoping to IKYK his way to victory, or an investigator attempting to cover the actual witness. Their main reason for roleclaiming was to prevent us from guessing them: Snipexe did that before you posted, so your attempt has failed. I think an investigator wouldn’t claim like this unless they were covering a witness as it muddies the waters.

Given how ITIAH has been throwing wild guesses to attempt to change our direction without focusing on any particulars, I’m still saying they’re a co-conspirator trying to dodge suspicion (although again, this could be a very unnecessarily complicated gambit). I’ll do an analysis of their posts later to see if that turns anything up.

50 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Hello everyone!

I am the Witness!

Incorrect!

Ok, confession over.

A. This makes no sense as a witness because it makes no sense to even put up the question.  

B. It makes no sense as a conspirator because it just makes us more suspicious. 

C. This makes no sense as an investigator because an investigator would be interested in solving the murder, not posting something that will confuse literally everyone. 

Conclusion: this post makes no freaking sense from any point of view. 

5 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Conclusion: this post makes no freaking sense from any point of view.

Happy to oblige. :)

23 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

Snipexe did that before you posted, so your attempt has failed.

There are some murder methods I have that are still suspious (Dakhor Ritual etc.) which I don't want you guys to waste your guesses on.

Besides, have you all considered Aon Ehe as the murder tool? I think I may be onto something here. Will provide more details later.

Also, I don't see how I've made the game all that more confusing for anyone but the elims. The Investigators just have to solve the murder, witness is getting protected (or is it me???), and I'm nor hindering any of that. The only reason you'd be overly confused is if you were an elim.

Edited by I think I am here.

20 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Also, I don't see how I've made the game all that more confusing for anyone but the elims. The Investigators just have to solve the murder, witness is getting protected (or is it me???), and I'm nor hindering any of that. The only reason you'd be overly confused is if you were an elim.

If you were the witness, then the elims would know cause you would be right. You'd be handing the game to the elims.

Herowannabe has repeatedly confirmed there are no secret alignments, and it wouldn’t be beneficial to assume that our GM is lying. I’m viewing this as a co-conspirator trying to cause confusion and distract everyone from solving the case for now, and will continue to do so unless someone convinced me otherwise. I’d recommend people to focus on the cards and not the roleclaims, as the latter don’t benefit us.

I was just going to wait until tomorrow for the new clues, but...

4 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Hello everyone!

I am the Witness!

Okay.

In a normal game, you would say this if you were the seeker and about to get lynched. Or if you were an eliminator under heavy suspicion.

But you can't get lynched in this game!

So whyyyyy?

You're not the witness. If you were, declaring this and giving correct clues would get you killed anyways.

You might be an investigator faking it. But the previous point means that you can't give us any correct clues anyways. I guess you could be on the murderer's hit list by now, but there must be better ways to draw attention. Posting analysis comes to mind, because you're giving clues that could lead to the murderer. (Example: Last game, I accidentally posted the correct combo. Because of this, I was killed.)

More likely you are a conspirator who is trying to get people to waste their guesses on you. This is the most suspicious ploy I have ever seen. None of your other clues fit the murder, except maybe Shades/Stick, and I'm gonna guess that anyways if it's not ruled out by round 3.

If you are the murderer, John Smith will literally die. This is just the worst plan if you are the murderer.

3 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Besides, have you all considered Aon Ehe as the murder tool? I think I may be onto something here. Will provide more details later.

That's not a weapon! It's not even an item! Are you looking at the wrong sheets? I'm seriously starting to consider that you're just playing a different game than we are.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Waves hands about in confused frustration

You said it. I'll see if I can get anything from his previous posts.

Edit: I'm hoping to get a clue of his companions based on how many clues he specifically mentioned from different people.

3+

Snipexe, Droughtbringer, PK, Devotary, MetaTerminal

Kidpen, Elandera, Steeldancer, Randuir, Madagascar

CC, Bort, Joe, Rathmaskal, Walin

Itiah

Nope. He had a lot of clues relating to himself, but it's probably otherwise random.

Note: One of his posts ruled out animals. If we count that, Drought, Devotary, and Meta are the only ones he didn't mention. Meta has nothing that fits the clues, and the others already had suspicious clues. So that still tells me nothing.

Edited by Paranoid King
Added analysis

Day 1 is over, day 2 is inbound. Feel free to keep discussing while you wait if you wish. Unlike normal SE games there are no actions or deaths to worry about in between cycles.

EDIT: I’m having technical difficulties with the spreadsheet because I’m on mobile right now. I’ll get it fixed and get Cycle 2 posted as soon as I can get to my computer- probably half an hour or so. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Day 2: Cryptic Crypt

The investigators sat down right in the Oracle's shop and spent the entire day poring over the strange clues that they had found, but despite all their best efforts couldn't make any sense of them. They were so enigmatic and baffling that it began driving some of the investigators just a little mad. After they realized that poring wasn't doing any good, They tried pouring sauce on the clues, but quickly realized that that was a poor idea. 

Eventually they gave up and Oyh grew so frustrated that he grabbed the table and flipped it over. It made an odd hollow thumping sound as it hit the floor. The investigators glanced at each other, then shoved the table out of the way and threw aside the rug to reveal a trap door in the floor. Opening the door they discovered a rickety staircase descending into the gloomy darkness. Cautiously, they lit an oil lamp and made their way down the stairs. 

If the room upstairs had been a living nightmare of disorganization, the cellar is where it went to die. Literally. The dank cellar was stuffed full of coffins, sarcophagi, caskets, urns, and catafalques. There was no organization to the mess, with the various burial boxes piled atop one another in a haphazard fashion with some leaning at angles against the walls. There were heaps of bones everywhere- none of them fresh, fortunately- piled on the floor and atop the caskets. A deeply unsettling feeling permeated the entire place, as if someone was standing right behind you, breathing on your neck.  

"That can't be hygienic..." *The Witness mumbled. He turned away in disgust and noticed a small folded note pinned to the wall addressed to "The Investigators." Cocking an eyebrow, he unfolded it and scanned the note. "You've got to be kidding me," he said. The note read:

Dear Investigators,

I knew you'd discover my family's private crypt, so I have hidden another clue or two for you in here. Search thoroughly and you might find them, but be careful, some of the spirits that haunt this place can be a bit touchy. Especially Aunt Jemina. Watch out for her. She's the one with the flaming red eyes who screams a lot and likes to infiltrate your nightmares. 

Good luck!

-Eban Naworeh

Chief Oracle of Silverlight

PS: Hurry up! By the time you discover this note my bonds will be starting to chafe. And I'll be getting hungry. Someone bring me a ham sandwich when you finally come to rescue me, alright?

*Snipexe's character

Day 2 has begun! Here are your Oracle clues:

Spoiler
Cause of Death Location of Crime #3 Victim's Clothes Murderer's Personality Motive Hint on Corpse
Suffocation Big City Neat Arrogant Hatred Head
Severe Injury Small Town Untidy Despicable Justice/Revenge Chest
Loss of Blood Road/Canal Elegant Furious Necessity Hand
Supernatural Wilderness Shabby Greedy Greed Leg
Poisoning/ Sickness Fields Bizarre Forceful Power Partial
Accident Sea/Ocean Naked Insane Love All-over

Player List: (Players who have used their Attempts are highlighted in purple)

Spoiler
# Player Name Methods of Murder Pieces of Evidence
1 Elandera / Oyh Sword, Deathweed Bark, Meekers, Dreok's Axe, Aon Daa (Power),  Axehound Pup, Bullet Casings, Aluminum Hat, Ancient Text, Tears of Edgli Flowers, 
2 MetaTerminal / Felksi Fenweed Poison, Rathbore Monk, Scarf, Koloss Blade, Surgebinding,  White Sand, Withered Hand, Singed Cloak, Aviar Feather, Message Written in Blood, 
3 Snipexe / The Witness Steelrunning, Nightmaw, Nightblood, Midnight Essence, Poisoned Wine,  Pet Monkey, Red Flag, Ceremonial Bowl, Piece of Ralkalest, Religious Text, 
4 Droughtbringer / In Bloodsealing, Metal Poisoning, Rioting, Dagger, Punch,  Water Bottle, Chull Dung, Vandalism, Dust, False Beard, 
5 Madagascar / Mad Acid, Dueling Cane, Bow & Arrow, Ettmetal Explosion, Aimian,  Children’s Book, Cracked Gemstone, Fancy Dress, Larkin Corpse, Boots, 
6 Steeldancer / Squid of Steel Skeletals , Enhanced Strength, Poisoned Needle, Backbreaker Powder, Atium,  Ice, Blood, Straw Man, Scorch marks, Vandalized Statue, 
7 Paranoid King / The Ghost of John Smith Blackbane Leaf, Deathants, Birchbane, Whitespine, Awakened Rope,  Triangular Razors, Aon Kii, Pot of Stew, Aon Ashe Plate, Spectacles, 
8 Randuir / Holmlock Shears Bare Hands, Burned at the Stake, Obsidian Axe, Swampvine, Kick,  Tattoo, Survivor Pendant, Crem , Firemoss, Hairpin, 
9 I Think I am Here. / Itiah VII Lost Divine Breath, Dakhor Ritual, Shades, Blood Loss, Venomous Bite,  Horseshoes, Stick, Empty Vial, Ink, Spanreed, 
10 Bort / May Bebort Jeskeri Cult Ritual, Booby Trap, Mistwraith, Grandbow, Firesnap Lizards,  Bones, Footprint, Cigar Case, RaiDel Pepper, Lavis Beer, 
11 Rathmaskal / Harry Hemalurgic Chimera, Smoke, Toxic Fungus, Glass Dagger, Air-powered Crossbow,  Artifact, Scorch Marks, Dirt, Priest’s Robes, Fashion Magazine, 
12 Devotary of Spontaneity / Fourth of the Twilight Poisoned Dart, Cut-away vines, Torture, Highstorm, Shardplate,  Broadsheet, Aon Reod, Crab Legs, Map, Wetleek Sap Trail, 
13 A Joe in the Bush / Various Divide Beheading, Shardblade, Cliff, Deepwalker, Betrayal,  Medallion, Lockpicks, Safehand Glove, Soulstamp, Shu-Korath Pendant, 
14 Kidpen / Alvron Duel, Hammer, Patji’s Finger, Strangle, Hook,  Aonic Dictionary, Purple Blood Droplets, MaiPon Sticks, Saddle Strap, Lak, 
15 Cadmium Compounder / Spork Soulcasting, Explosion, Lifeless Soldier, Rifle, Dehydration,  Hoofprints, Glow Paste, Wig, Smoke, Rotspren, 
16 Walin / Higsedal The Shaod, Chasmfiend, Black Frayn, Fire, Martial Arts,  Forged Painting, Infused Spheres, A'kar's Symbol, Lamp, Skull, 

Link to the spreadsheet

Link to the Rules

pur_1536379200.png

Edited by Herowannabe
Writeup got edited in. People who have made their Attempts get special mention in the writeups as a bonus.

I...don't really have any analysis to share.

------------------------------------------

Higsedal looked behind him, but didn't see anyone. He looked thoroughly, and still didn't see anyone.

Well, it was a nice day to listen to music anyways. He put away his PM, considering whether to get an ettmetal-powered music player--while it would have a more limited battery life, it didn't have nearly as much of a maintenance hazard. Or, rather, it had more of one--wet fingers while removing a spent battery and all that.

But it wasn't as gross, and it would hold more of a tie to his Realmatic home, the place of his Connection, Scadrial.

Either way, he knew one thing: the murderer didn't find any necessity in following him, so he was free to pick up his skill-granting copperminds. He tapped, and relearned their location. It was time to start walking again.

We moved from Trace at the Scene: Footprint to Hint on Corpse: Head. 

Seeing as it's not "all-over," we can probably remove explosion (including ettmetal explosion). We may need to take another look at things like guns, which are most effective with headshots.

I don't have a lot of time to do that currently, but I'll try to post something about it tomorrow.

@Herowannabe

I would like to make an accusation! I accuse Randuir of being the assassin. I think he got high on Firemoss, and Kicked his victim to death, leaving behind a bloody footprint on his victim's face. All so he could fund his filthy habit... Randuir, I'm disappointed in you :P

This is one of the few things that I can think of that might combine Necessity with Accident. Randuir needed to get more spheres to fund his habit, and accidentally killed the person he was only trying to mug.

The only head related wilderness accident that is necessary I can think of would be Dehydration. Could it be Dehyrdation/hoofprints on cadcom?

Edit: not making the accusation yet,a s I'd like someone to check my logic.

Edited by randuir

The Pet Bird and I wholeheartedly approve of Itiah's unexpected witness reveal. With all this extremely serious head scratching and torture preparations going on, it's so refreshing to have something properly dramatic happen. I mean, I know he's lying, because I'm the Witness, but I can't help but appreciate his guts. If only we had more men like him on the force.

The Forensic Pig has a more critical view of the development, but he is notoriously fussy when he hasn't eaten for a few days.

Don't worry, dear, we'll pick a suspect soon enough, and you can have his toes.

I was reading the writeup and wondered if Herowannabe had made a mistake and revealed Snipexe as the witness accidentally, forgetting to remove his own notes. Then I remembered: we’re all terrible people that like to make the GM’s job very difficult. :D

I wasn’t leaning towards Dehydration to begin with, but in conjunction with head it might be significant? I initially wondered at how it causes an unkempt appearance, although that might be hinting towards their being lost in the wilderness for some time. However, we might want to hold off from guessing much more than two or three times this round so we have enough people to narrow down the options in the final cycle. Out of the 14 guesses we get (assuming 1 co-conspirator), 3 have already been made.

Dehydration/hoofprints fit pretty well, though. Your call.