Raisen

Silver Allomancy

16 posts in this topic

What do you think silver would be in Allomancy or Feruchemy.

Apparently silver was initially the Internal Pulling Allomantic metal, but Brandon changed that to tin instead, so right now silver is not Allomantic as far as we know.

You can find a list of Allomantic and Feruchemical metals in the Ars Arcanum of the books (the one Alloy of Law has the most complete list so far), or you could read the Coppermind wiki.

Edited by skaa

Silver is definitely not allomantic.

If you want silver, try SfSitFoH.

Edited by bartbug

If Silver had an Allomantic use, it definately wouldn't be used in a custom-made Mistborn cell, especially by an Obligator who knows that TLR wasn't very up-front about the number of allomantic metals.

Well... There is one use for Silver in Allomancy, mixing it with Gold to make Electrum. Gold is practically useless (except for Feruchemists) and Silver is completely useless, but mix them in the right quantities and you can take on someone burning Atium.

In Shadows for Silence in the forest of hell, silver is used to ward away and kill shades, could this be related to allomancy?

Brandon has made it clear that silver is alomantically inert so it's unlikely to have any direct relationship. Though perhaps he used it in Shadows specifically because he didn't get the chance to do so in Mistborn and still wanted to do something cool with the metal?

3 hours ago, Weltall said:

Brandon has made it clear that silver is alomantically inert so it's unlikely to have any direct relationship. Though perhaps he used it in Shadows specifically because he didn't get the chance to do so in Mistborn and still wanted to do something cool with the metal?

I can buy that, since he wanted to use it instead of tin, but the actual metallurgy made him change his mind to keep everything consistent.

...I think everyone misinterpreted the question.

On 4/6/2014 at 9:23 PM, Raisen said:

What do you think silver would be in Allomancy or Feruchemy.

Note the "would be" part. This is asking what Silver would do if there were Silver Mistings, not Silver's actual nonexistent relation with allomancy.

So it's meant for fun speculation.

Perhaps it'd be a kind of Spatial metal, a compliment to the Temporal metals. Silver would be, being a pure metal, a Pulling metal. If it is external, then a "Collapser" Misting could burn it to essentially fold space, decreasing the distance between objects. Of course, since the folded space is still there, just folded like a piece of paper, any objects inside the fold would be unharmed. It's alloy, possibly Goloid, would expand space between objects.

Edited by Shadeshadow227

Forgive me, but I find then that the question as it's meant is rather strange.

Aside from base metal = Pull and alloy = Push, there's no pattern I've been able to discern in the whys and wherefores of what metal does what.  The powers of the base metal and alloy are related in some way, but there's no real link between why steel and iron make you able to bounce around like a superpowered yo-yo and why cadmium and bendalloy affect time.  I mean, other than the fact that Brandon found it more convenient to use common metals for the powers he wanted to have available in Era 1 versus the new fun extras you find in Era 2.

So the problem comes from trying to assign a pattern to something that is essentially arbitrary.  Even the links between Allomancy and Feruchemy don't follow a pattern.  Why do pewter and tin have such similar powers across the two disciplines, but iron and steel are so wildly different?

Without finding a pattern in those relationships, speculation about "What would X metal be IF it were Allomantic?" has no possible logic to apply.  If you're just wanting to make up cool powers for different metals, by all means, there are existing threads that already do so.  But naming a specific metal and inviting speculation with no actual Realmatic evidence that would give it a reason to be a particular power just strikes me as odd and confusing.

16 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

...I think everyone misinterpreted the question.

Note the "would be" part. This is asking what Silver would do if there were Silver Mistings, not Silver's actual nonexistent relation with allomancy.

So it's meant for fun speculation.

Perhaps it'd be a kind of Spatial metal, a compliment to the Temporal metals. Silver would be, being a pure metal, a Pulling metal. If it is external, then a "Collapser" Misting could burn it to essentially fold space, decreasing the distance between objects. Of course, since the folded space is still there, just folded like a piece of paper, any objects inside the fold would be unharmed. It's alloy, possibly Goloid, would expand space between objects.

It would enhance your senses, since that's originally what the internal physical pulling metal was.

What if someone burning silver didn't give off Atium or Electrum shadows? And wouldn't be affected by Cadmium and Bendalloy.

OR Maybe they could become invisible to Steel Inquisitors, and what that implies, like a Smoker.

On 11/4/2016 at 4:21 AM, Voidus said:

It would enhance your senses, since that's originally what the internal physical pulling metal was.

Yeah, but its said in many places that Allomancy isn't fully understood and that the catigories (pulling/pushing, the wheel, etc.) are just human beings trying to understand Allomancy, like a science. But, it is not fully understood.

Edited by Sasuga

17 minutes ago, Sasuga said:

What if someone burning silver didn't give off Atium or Electrum shadows? And wouldn't be affected by Cadmium and Bendalloy.

OR Maybe they could become invisible to Steel Inquisitors, and what that implies, like a Smoker.

You can't burn silver. It is allomantically inert. 

Please check dates of previous posts before posting. This thread had been dead for. Over two years. 

I see and saw the dates, and I found this topic and still find it interesting. Why start a new thread, this one's already here. I'm interested in the topic. I know its allomantically inert, I've seen Brandon's quote on this, and I know it was originally going to be "Sliver Eyes" instead of "Tin Eyes" because he was incorrectly told that Silver was part of Pewter Alloy. I know that, I get all that. However, that's reality and we're talking fantasy. We're talking fantasy of a magic in a fantasy world. We're talking of would-of's and could-of's. And just because this thread is old doesn't mean the topic is dead.

I get it, as it is right now, silver doesn't do anything, you can't even burn it. So what, this thread is about 'what if.' - Like, what would tin do, if silver had been for senses. Perhaps we'd discuss tin here instead of silver.

10 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I see and saw the dates, and I found this topic and still find it interesting. Why start a new thread, this one's already here. I'm interested in the topic. I know its allomantically inert, I've seen Brandon's quote on this, and I know it was originally going to be "Sliver Eyes" instead of "Tin Eyes" because he was incorrectly told that Silver was part of Pewter Alloy. I know that, I get all that. However, that's reality and we're talking fantasy. We're talking fantasy of a magic in a fantasy world. We're talking of would-of's and could-of's. And just because this thread is old doesn't mean the topic is dead.

I get it, as it is right now, silver doesn't do anything, you can't even burn it. So what, this thread is about 'what if.' - Like, what would tin do, if silver had been for senses. Perhaps we'd discuss tin here instead of silver.

Welcome to the site! Per the site rules:

On that same note, don't bring back topics that have been dead forever. This is called thread necromancy (or simply "necroing"). If after a long time you post something new in a topic--one whose discussion has long since ended--that would be thread necroing.

Also, it's could have and would have ;)not "of" ;)Sorry, couldn't resist!