Super Mario Cosmere

Borio Singaldi

Hey, this is for all you Sanderfans who also love the Mario games, especially Super Mario Galaxy!

So this is Super Mario Galaxy, but it's in the cosmere. So instead of the Good Egg Galaxy or Honeyhive Galaxy, we've got Scadrial, Taldain, etc.

This idea first came to mind when I was playing Super Mario Galaxy and was skating on ice in one section of the game, and it reminded me of Lift and her use of the Surge of Friction, or Slicking. So I thought: how about Investiture abilities become power-ups for Mario as he travels throughout the cosmere in the Urithiru Comet Observatory?

So we start with the many "galaxy clusters", or main sections of the game Mario goes to get the Power Stars (I'm still figuring out how to tweak those to fit into a cosmere comparison).

An entire section taking place just on Scadrial, across various parts of it:

1. Urteau (3 stars plus prankster comets)

2. Fadrex (3 stars plus prankster comets)

3. Hathsin (1 star)

4. Luthadel (3 stars plus prankster comets)

5. Kredik Shaw (a boss level in which you fight Lord Ruler Bowser)

Another section taking place entirely across Roshar:

1. Shattered Plains (3 stars plus prankster comets)

2. Kholinar (3 stars plus prankster comets)

3. Yeddaw (3 stars plus prankster comets)

4. Purelake (1 star)

5. Thaylen City (a boss level where you fight Highlord Bowser Jr.)

(I'm trying to figure out a third section that includes just Sel and Nalthis.)

A collection of other main worlds:

1. Taldain (3 stars plus prankster comets)

2. First of the Sun (3 stars plus prankster comets)

3. Ashyn (1 star)

4. Threnody (boss level where you fight The Evil)

And a secret bonus section where you go to the Cognitive Realm to find Power Stars:

1. Expanse of the Vapors (3 stars plus prankster comets)

2. Silverlight (3 stars plus prankster comets)

3. Damnation (1 star)

4. Shadesmar (boss level, but boss enemy undecided)

The final level of the game can take place on Yolen or something.

Now, for the power-ups. All Allomantic and Surgebinding ones have a time limit to using them.

Pewter Mushrooms make you impervious to injuries and keep you at full health for a limited amount of time.

Tin Mushrooms help you see in dark places or locate secret objects/characters for a limited amount of time.

Iron Mushrooms allow you to pull on metal objects using point-and-click for a limited amount of time.

Steel Mushrooms allow you to push on metal objects using point-and-click for a limited amount of time.

Atium Mushrooms show what enemies and traps are about to do for a limited amount of time.

Gravitation Flowers allow you to change your direction of gravity using point-and-click for a limited amount of time.

Friction Flowers allow you to slide and glide freely on any surface for a limited amount of time.

Division Flowers (aka Fire Flowers) allow you to burn objects around you for a limited amount of time.

Breath Flowers (aka Tears of Edgli) allow you to bring inanimate objects to life to help you out, but has a limited amount of uses before running out.

Sand Mushrooms allow you to move sand around to fight enemies or access higher areas, but expires upon contact with water. (Though this is counterproductive to sand mastery, so I should probably try to find another way around it.)

Various other enemies include normal Goombas and Koopas on all the worlds, obviously, then Koopinquisitors and Koopa Koloss on Scadrial, Parshendi Koopas and Fused Koopas on Roshar, Boo Shades on Threnody (the Evil is Big Boo), and Dry Bones Skeletals on Sel. This list is subject to extension.

And for prankster comets, which are mostly the same with one small difference.

1. Speedy Comets, which are colored red and give you a time limit to complete a level,

2. Daredevil Comets, which are colored orange and give you only one hit point instead of three.

3. Cosmic Comets, which are blue colored force you to race a Cognitive Shadow resembling yourself to a finish line.

4. Purple Comets, which require you to find 100 purple coins scattered about an area.

5. Aluminum Comets, which are grey colored and remove all Investiture-based power-ups from the level.

I hope to put more detail into all of this and add on other things, but here it what I've come up with so far. Yeah, I know it's all very silly, but what do y'all think?

Edited by Cleanstar
I remembered Koopinquisitors and Koopa Koloss!

Might I suggest the Red Star from SMG 1 for Gravitation? 

As for Sel, there should be an Elantris level, a Kae level, a Rose Empire level, and a Dakhor monastery level. Perhaps also a Teod level.

For Nalthis, an Idris level, a Court of Gods level, and a T'telir level. Maybe a Pahn Kahl level too.

@Firerust, you've done it again! 

Seriously, I spent so much time on this game in my youth. Seeing it Cosmere-ifyed is really cool. Also, fully support the Urithiru Comet Observatory. What if the Toad Brigade were members of the in-world 17th Shard? After all they're always hopping round the various galaxies, much akin to the 17th Shard. 

Also, slightly related, Navi is Link's spren. "Hey! Listen! Say the Words!"

Yes, @Wyndlerunner. Very much yes. To all of that.

Also, Mario forms a Nahel Bond with his Luma, and Khriss takes the place of Rosalina.

And @BitBitio, thank you for the terrific Sel and Nalthis ideas. Better than what I'd been thinking up for sure. And yes, the red star was the inspiration for the in-game Gravitation effect, so you're thinking along good lines there.

Edited by Firerust

This game was my childhood. Props for the neat idea!

Maybe you can integrate some ideas out of Super Mario Odyssey and have a resource for costume changes. Like soul stamps that would work really well on Sel, or lightweaver 'coins' that you have to collect to maintain the benefits. 

I don't really have any experience with Odyssey, but thanks for the idea! I've been wondering what to do about the Surge of Illumination with this. Oh, yeah! Disguises! You can disguise yourself as an enemy (similar to becoming Boo Mario or something like that), but it only lasts for a limited time!

And soul stamps will work to that same effect. Or, like you said, they serve to help with costume changes. Either works. I mean, Lightweaving, Soulcasting, and Forgery are all very different manifestations of Investiture, obviously, but since I'm trying to form the basis of a kid's game, these are extremely dumbed-down manifestations of the magic systems.

Now I wonder how I might incorporate the Surge of Transformation, if I was to try that...

On 8/21/2018 at 1:33 PM, Cleanstar said:

So we start with the many "galaxy clusters", or main sections of the game Mario goes to get the Power Stars (I'm still figuring out how to tweak those to fit into a cosmere comparison).

Make the Power Stars into Splinters.

Edited by JacobClaessen

Ooh, neat idea!! You could have all Boo levels be saturated with Lightweaving. Like the settings and the multiple Boos to really confused people. Who would be Bowser? Odium? Bavadin? Some ideas for villains final bosses...

Roshar, maybe some Thunderclasts?

Braize, obviously Odium.

Ashyn, some crazy inhabitants still living on the surface, maybe a crazy cult? Those are always fun in video games.

Scadrial, if era 1 Lord Ruler, era 2, why not Kelsier.

Threnody, I dunno who the big bad boss should be, but there would be some sweet levels with those Shades. That world would make a sweet horror survival game now that I'm thinking about it.

Edited by whattheHoid

6 hours ago, Cleanstar said:

I don't really have any experience with Odyssey, but thanks for the idea! I've been wondering what to do about the Surge of Illumination with this. Oh, yeah! Disguises! You can disguise yourself as an enemy (similar to becoming Boo Mario or something like that), but it only lasts for a limited time!

And soul stamps will work to that same effect. Or, like you said, they serve to help with costume changes. Either works. I mean, Lightweaving, Soulcasting, and Forgery are all very different manifestations of Investiture, obviously, but since I'm trying to form the basis of a kid's game, these are extremely dumbed-down manifestations of the magic systems.

Now I wonder how I might incorporate the Surge of Transformation, if I was to try that...

Maybe you could make special unbreakable blocks that you can clear with soulcasting? Or you could go with turning sticks into fire...;)

• Chaos locked this topic