Kenton Street in Luthadel

Spaceferring

Why does this mean Khriss did anything to Kenton?

I mean we suspect Trell is Autonomy. Kenton is Lord Mastrell. It could very well be that he had a major impact on Scadrial. He may have worked with The Lord Ruler in some fashion gaining him the name of a street.

4 minutes ago, Stormblessed Dolphin said:

..How does Kenton work with the Lord Ruler exactly?

11 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

He may have worked with The Lord Ruler in some fashion

I have no idea. Given the naming of a road in Luthadel I would suspect The Lord Ruler was aware of this.

13 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Kenton sounds like a name that wouldn’t be too out of place on Scadrial. I guess its just named after some noble in-world. The real explanation is probably that Kenton was the main character of Brandons first book, and that Brandon added it as an easter egg for himself. 

Could very well be this. With everything going on in Scadrial with most likely Autonomy and Trell it would make sense if Kenton was at some point on Scadrial.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I just don’t see it. Bavadin playing with Scadrial doesn’t mean that Kenton has to be there as well. I don’t see the logic, sadly.

I'm not saying he for sure was. The fact a road is name after him points to me that Kenton at the least visited Scadrial.

18 hours ago, tmnsquirtle said:

Also, didn't white sand take place a loooooong time before mistborn E1?

It does but Khriss is still alive and active from that same era, so some way of lengthening your life (or worldhopping to one) could be accessed from Taldain.

Add to that the fact that it could have been named after him by someone else who has lived that long and it is certainly possible the two Kentons are the same person.

That said I think it is probably just an easter egg, though I think if it is named after him, it has nothing to do with Autonomy.

Edited by Jace21

There's also an "Ahlstrom square" in luthadel, and "Ahlstrom promenade" in Elendel. 

I'm not saying it's purely coincidence, because this is Brandon, but it's existence, in and of itself, doesn't have to mean anything. 

In this case with Kenton... I think it does, but without asking the question or getting some other in world tie... good luck guessing. 

Just now, Calderis said:

There's also an "Ahlstrom square" in luthadel, and "Ahlstrom promenade" in Elendel. 

I'm not saying it's purely coincidence, because this is Brandon, but it's existence, in and of itself, doesn't have to mean anything. 

Both of those are named after Peter Ahlstrom, Brandon’s editor and right hand man. 

Just now, Herowannabe said:

Both of those are named after Peter Ahlstrom, Brandon’s editor and right hand man. 

I'm well aware, and that was kind of my point. 

Naming something after Peter is obviously not an in world connection. 

We have multiple characters named Cob, Aon Ati and Ati, and multiple versions of "Shash" in writing in the Cosmere, all confirmed as coincidence. 

I don't personally think "Kenton" is one. But the multiple instances of a name does not necessitate a connection. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I'm well aware, and that was kind of my point. 

Naming something after Peter is obviously not an in world connection. 

We have multiple characters named Cob, Aon Ati and Ati, and multiple versions of "Shash" in writing in the Cosmere, all confirmed as coincidence. 

I don't personally think "Kenton" is one. But the multiple instances of a name does not necessitate a connection. 

Ah I see. 

However the Shash one wasn’t coincidence, that was intentional. 

EDIT: wait, I take it back. It looks like we have contradicting WoBs on it. In one place he implies it was an intentional linguistic connection and in another place he says it’s just a coincidence. The coincidence one is the more recent quote though.   

https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=Shash

Edited by Herowannabe

1 minute ago, Herowannabe said:

However the Shash one wasn’t coincidence, that was intentional. 

I beg to differ. 

llwvyn

My question is in regards to the writing system. In Warbreaker, when Siri is teaching Susebron to read, she mentions the letter "shash," which we now know better as a glyph from [The Way of Kings].

so onto the questions:

Are the two writing systems related, or is this a chance coincidence of names?

If they are related, did they stem from the same source? (i.e., do the people of Nalthis and Roshar both descend from a more ancient group of people?)

If I haven't gotten a RAFO yet, did the separation from these other people create the legends of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls?

Brandon Sanderson

There are interesting connections around the cosmere between linguistics and some cultures. Though different groups of humans were created on different planets, the Shards all share a single point of origin. However, the Tranquiline Halls legends are not related to a Nalthis/Roshar connection.

source

They may share a linguistic root, but there's no story connection beyond them all being descended from the same peoples. 

53 minutes ago, Calderis said:

In this case with Kenton... I think it does, but without asking the question or getting some other in world tie... good luck guessing. 

Pretty much this I doubt we can get any real information on this. It would be nice if we could get a WoB on it.

My straight up baseless speculation is that it might imply Kenton assisted The Lord Ruler in some way. Just as he gave the families that assisted him houses he may have named a road in Luthadel to honor him. It also would draw possible connections to The Lord Ruler and Autonomy.

I actually thought that Kenton died on Taldain before Khriss left and I'm guessing that she was there at Luthadel's founding, and then somehow influenced the Lord Ruler (or some other person) into naming the Street that way. I'm not saying that Kenton had any part in the proceedings, just that, knowing Brandon, it probably isn't a coincidence.

The title got me thinking. You have a point, let's take a look at this.

Kenton is the protagonist in white sand, who has (so far in the books) become companions with Khrisalla and their relationship is going from traveling companions to friends. 

Khriss and Baon, both two characters of the traveling group that Kenton is also part of are alive at the time of Oathbringer. OB takes place after BoM. Elantris takes place during the time of the Final Empire. The old Hoed seen going into the secret pool of light is also confirmed to be alive in OB. There are ways to stop ageing.

Both Khriss and Baon are/were members of the 17th shard. They have a device that can slow ageing (WoB confirmation that I cannot find)

White sand takes place before Elantris. Elantris takes place during the time of the final empire, so White sand at least takes place during the time of the final empire, possibly before the creation of the first ascension.

Luthadel was created upon Rashek's ascension, Meaning either Khriss, Kenton or Baon (or another member of the 17th Shard) had to be on scadrial at the time of the ascension for the street to be named after the Mastrell, but we don't know the time difference between Rashek's ascension and White sand. That fact could debunk the city.

Now lets take a look at the street.

In Mistborn Era 2, Brandon puts heavy emphasis on street names:

Hammond Promenade

Yomen Street

Demoux Promenade

So on so forth. Most non-numerical street names have relation to the previous era. It's a possibility. However, for this to be intended, Kenton had to be the character's name since at the earliest 2008 (I don't know which book it was mentioned but 2008 was the release of HoA). White sand was released in 2016. 8 years after, I find it unlikely that Brandon planned that far ahead for white sand back then (if we have WoB that he's been planning white sand for a while, then ignore this section), this fact kind of debunks the theory.

26 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

So on so forth. Most non-numerical street names have relation to the previous era. It's a possibility. However, for this to be intended, Kenton had to be the character's name since at the earliest 2008 (I don't know which book it was mentioned but 2008 was the release of HoA). White sand was released in 2016. 8 years after, I find it unlikely that Brandon planned that far ahead for white sand back then (if we have WoB that he's been planning white sand for a while, then ignore this section), this fact kind of debunks the theory.

About that... 

Brandon Sanderson

Thanks for posting that. Note that I can never quite remember which was first, Aether or Mistborn Prime. I always feel that Aethershould be first, since it wasn't as bad as the two primes, but thinking back I think that the essay is more accurate and I wrote it between them.

This would be the new list:

1) White Sand Prime (My first Fantasy Novel)2) Star's End (Short, alien-relations sf novel.)3) Lord Mastrell (Sequel to White Sand Prime)4) Knight Life (Fantasy comedy.)5) The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora (Far future sf involving immortal warriors)6) Elantris (First Published)7) Dragonsteel (My most standard epic, other than the not-very-good Final Empireprime.)8 ) White Sand (Complete rewrite of the first attempt, turned out much better.)9) Mythwalker (Unfinished at about 600 pages. Another more standard epic fantasy.)10) Aether of Night (Stand-Alone fantasy. A little like Elantris.)11) Mistborn Prime (Shorter fantasy, didn't turn out so well.)12) Final Empire Prime (Shorter fantasy, didn't turn out so well.)13) The Way of Kings Prime (Fantasy War epic.)14) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Came out 2006)15) Mistborn: The Well of Ascension (Came out 2007)16) Alcatraz Verus the Evil Librarians (Came out 2007)17) Mistborn: Hero of Ages(Came out 2008)18) Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Came out 2008)19) Warbreaker (Comes out June 2009)20) Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia(November 2009ish)21) A Memory of Light(November 2009ish. Working on it now. Might be split into two.)22) The Way of Kings Book One (2010ish. Not started yet.)23) Alcatraz Four (2010. Not started yet)

Source.

He wrote White Sand first. 

• Chaos locked this topic