So the night will reign...

RShara

The real issue I have is that the visions have been shown to be imprecise.  Probably the most clear fulfillment of one of the visions is the "True Glory" one.  It used "pit" to refer to refer to the chasms and two dead men.   Vague and imprecise.  I suspect they have been intended to be confusing and perhaps even deceptive.  They are of Odium after all.

If they were intended to be deceptive, I have a hard time believing they'd use them with The Diagram. Taravangian clearly understood the mechanics of how the Death Rattles/Moelach worked when writing the Diagram, and he would have included warnings against using them if they were deceptive. If the Death Rattles were of dubious value, there's no way they'd have started up the Silent Gatherers. It would be a huge risk for little reward, not to mention that they'd be killing people for little reason (which is against their goal to save at least a portion of the world).

Plus, there would be no reason for them to exist in the first place if they were lies. Once you figure out the enemy is lying to you, you can just ignore him. Truth is a much more dangerous weapon, and having true knowledge of the future without any attempt at deception is definitely tempting enough to some people that they were willing to do questionable things to get it. Vorin knowledge doesn't speak out against Voidbinding as being a false way to view the future, which it probably would do if it was.

Edited by Moogle

The real issue I have is that the visions have been shown to be imprecise.  Probably the most clear fulfillment of one of the visions is the "True Glory" one.  It used "pit" to refer to refer to the chasms and two dead men Vague and imprecise.  I suspect they have been intended to be confusing and perhaps even deceptive.  They are of Odium after all.

There's also this one:

All is withdrawn from me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.

–Tanatanev 1173, 18 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed mother of four in her sixty-second year.

The Way of Kings, Tor Hardcover, page 945

This has very clearly been fulfilled precisely as stated by the end of Words of Radiance. Yes they're confusing until you've seen what they're referring to, but they're not imprecise, nor are they vague.

• 2 months later...

Copying my post from another topic. Im certain it is the answer to the quote - So the night will reign for the choice of honor is life.................... I get the ending of the first five books now. Brandons doing something innovative again. The bad guys win after five books. I agree with the authors three steps theory. The everstorm first, the true desolation and the night of sorrows. And the rattles make sense now. See, the night of sorrows refer to the setting of the sun in Shadesmar when probably the Voidspren are dominant. Thats why the guy in quote 1 is angry.He dies early and is unable to stop the setting of the sun in Shadesmar. Again some other quotes make sense now. Someone is given the choice of killing a helpless person (or perhaps literally a baby) to delay the onset of of the Niggt of Sorrows. Im guessing thia is Kaladin. But Kaladin is honourable, so he spares the child or the helpless man. This is what it means - So the night will reign for the choice of honour is life. So Kaladin causes the Night of Sorrows. Combine this with Nr Ts predictions, he says one of the Parshendi will form a bridge and that this one has to be destroyed. I'm guessing Kaladin doesnt kill this child or man. The rest is describing their deaths in the Night of Sorrows. Many people die, they all lose their lives in the Night of Sorrows and the Parshendi get their revenge. They defeat the humans and occupy their lands and homes. I'm guessing a few people - Renarin, Taravangian, some of the Heralds retreat and decide to escape to fight a future battle . This is what books 6 - 10 are about, reclaiming the world from the Night of Sorrows and the Voidbringers.

• Chaos locked this topic