darniil

Investiture across the Cosmere (WoR spoilers)

34 posts in this topic

Whek now perservation gave it to anceint terrismen!

How do Whek now that?  :P

I'm guessing it's a WoB I haven't seen.  It's interesting to me that Preservation would give people a power which is of both Ruin and Preservation.  And it's also interesting that they're the only Scadrians we know of who don't naturally have the potential for Allomancy.

I was always under the impression that "allomancy is of Preservation", "hemalurgy is of Ruin", and feruchemy came to be, involuntarily, as an interaction between Preservation and Ruin.  Now, why it was limited to the humans in Terris, I don't know.  (Perhaps because they were the only human population near "ground zero", the place where both Preservation and Ruin primarily existed [the Well of Ascension / Ruin's prison]?)  But that's the way I always read it, since feruchemy is a net-zero ability; equal parts Preservation and Ruin.

How do Whek now that?  :P

I'm guessing it's a WoB I haven't seen.  It's interesting to me that Preservation would give people a power which is of both Ruin and Preservation.  And it's also interesting that they're the only Scadrians we know of who don't naturally have the potential for Allomancy.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7051-philadelphia-wor-signing-reports/page-3#entry117189

iam surprised kurk didnt show to say it!!!

Sorry, can someone please tell me more about spiritual DNA in a PM? Along with why it affects changes with powers on other Shardworlds?

Thanks muchly.

Mm, is not so complex. In a nutshell, there are three "realms" in the cosmere. A physical realm (like our world), a cognitive realm (like Shadesmar, where everything is all thinky), and a spiritual realm (we haven't seen it yet, but apparently it's based on the connections between things).

People exist across all three, and we have three types of DNA - one in each realm. sDNA in specific determines the type of investiture (read: magic) that you can use. Born on Scadrial? Then you have the sDNA of an allomancer, or maybe a feruchemist. Or both! Even if you are born on Roshar, if your parents are from Scadrial originally, you get their sDNA, and would end up as a misting if you're lucky. Because the spiritual realm is a realm of connections, staying in one specific place for many generations also can alter your sDNA. Basically, it's just like real DNA, except all investiture-ish.

Anyway, hemalurgy is weird because it rips out part of your spiritual aspect and staples it onto someone else. So even if you don't have the sDNA for being an allomancer, you can just stab an allomancer at the right spot, tear off that bit, and then staple it onto yourself like some kind of drunk magical pin-the-tail on the donkey. Instant allomancy!

Anyway, hemalurgy is weird because it rips out part of your spiritual aspect and staples it onto someone else. So even if you don't have the sDNA for being an allomancer, you can just stab an allomancer at the right spot, tear off that bit, and then staple it onto yourself like some kind of drunk magical pin-the-tail on the donkey. Instant allomancy!

This analogy is the greatest. Now we know what game the Inquisitors played at parties!

This analogy is the greatest. Now we know what game the Inquisitors played at parties!

Imagine a party with Inquisitors and Dakhor Monks, since we know Hemalurgy can steal other systems as well. That is one party I would much rather not attend.

The way the Preservation system worked was that the Lerasium made you closer to Preservation, the by-product of that is to become and allomancer by default. Not positive about the feruchemy, but I do not think Hoid needs to change his sDNA exactly. I think that he knows the ways to get around some of the normal restrictions in many magic systems. Perhaps his Yolen pre-shattering sDNA makes this easier but I think with the right knowledge and work, anyone could do the same.

I am not certain if the other worldhoppers are doing the saem (collecting investiture from the worlds they visit) but I'd bet Mraise is based on his collection :)

I'd bet Mraise is based on his collection :)

Yes, one of my friends pointed that out to me when I finished the book.  He said the other people who were reading at the same time as him exploded when Mraise's shelf contents were described, linking the sand and the crystal to other books.  (And I, personally, thought that maybe the flower was a Tear of Edgli.)