Did Honor and Cultivation have children?

Ripheus23

I think it depends on what you define as children. I think that they would call a spren they created together their child, so the three bondsmith spren could definitely be seen as their children. I think even remotely, most of the higher, Radiant spren see themselves as children of Honor and Cultivation, like Syl being nicknamed the "Ancient Daughter". But as to the vessels themselves physically having children while they are holding the shards, I doubt it. 

Interestingly it seems a vessel can have children. Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Are Shard Vessels able to have children?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes they are.

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Even Sazed, with his body being a eunuch?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, though technically all of Scadrial are the children of Preservation and Ruin.

source

Not the most rock solid WoB but its something. Interesting idea for the Sibling. But in the end the Sibling is probably just a spren and we know there's plenty of mixed honor/ cultivation spren. 

But i love the hunt for Shardlings. Did a silly post on it once. 

Edited by Extesian

@Extesian pls spoiler that Wob it's a huuuge mistborn spoiler and this is a stormlight sub. Some might have not read mistborn 

But yeah kinda agree if it was a demigod child then the mix sprens are probably those and there was a Wob about sapient children of shards have some effect on them. But not in a Greek/roman mythology sense where it has half the shard power or something like shardlike

But any creation of a shard is their children so basically scadrians are the children of ruin and preservation.

A shard would even call anybody who lives or practices their intent as their  children so they could be also that

Edited by goody153

53 minutes ago, goody153 said:

@Extesian pls spoiler that Wob it's a huuuge mistborn spoiler and this is a stormlight sub. Some might have not read mistborn 

But yeah kinda agree if it was a demigod child then the mix sprens are probably those and there was a Wob about sapient children of shards have some effect on them. But not in a Greek/roman mythology sense where it has half the shard power or something like shardlike

But any creation of a shard is their children so basically scadrians are the children of ruin and preservation.

A shard would even call anybody who lives or practices as their children so they could be also that

Thank you for pointing that out! My humble apologies to anyone spoiled. I use this on my phone and it doesn't say which forum the post is on so i hadn't realized

2 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

So Shards don't/can't, err, you know? Or: the result of this activity, on their part, would not count sufficiently different from children-otherwise-born-of-them?

They are capable. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

He wanted to know, if a pregnant woman took up one of the Shards--one of the sixteen Shards--would the child *inaudible* born <would> have any god powers?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It would have an effect.

source

On a slightly related note, another thing I’ve kinda been pondering lately is whether it would be possible for a Shard to bestow a fraction of their power onto another person to make them ‘ascend’ to a state that might loosely be compared to an angel or archangel if we think of the Shard as being equivalent to God in this analogy? Something much greater than a sliver but still far less powerful than an actual Shard?

For example, could Harmony, upon learning that he couldn’t bring Vin and Elend back to life in the Physical Realm, have offered to elevate their ghosts into subordinate deities to help him watch over Scadrial? Or if not them then the remaining members of the crew who hadn’t died?

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

On 8/22/2018 at 6:23 PM, Fanghur Rahl said:

On a slightly related note, another thing I’ve kinda been pondering lately is whether it would be possible for a Shard to bestow a fraction of their power onto another person to make them ‘ascend’ to a state that might loosely be compared to an angel or archangel if we think of the Shard as being equivalent to God in this analogy? Something much greater than a sliver but still far less powerful than an actual Shard?

For example, could Harmony, upon learning that he couldn’t bring Vin and Elend back to life in the Physical Realm, have offered to elevate their ghosts into subordinate deities to help him watch over Scadrial? Or if not them then the remaining members of the crew who hadn’t died?

This has been done already. 

(cosmere all spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

That's what the well of ascension was about. People ascending without fully taking the shard but having an access to a portion of it's power with the full-capacity of the shard(with all the shard powers not the magic system powers)

That's basically what Rashek/Vin was after the taking the well if you think about it. 

@Fanghur Rahl BTW that's huge spoiler on Mistborn. This is a stormlight subforum not cosmere subforum. That should be under a spoiler tag. 

Edited by goody153

You’re right, sorry, I completely didn’t consider that. At any rate, that’s not what I was talking about; Rashek and Vin we’re still completely human after taking the power, they didn’t permanently become a kind of energy-based being of the sort that a full Shard effectively is. Like I said, I’m talking more about a Shard turning someone permanently into a lesser version of themselves, not just temporarily allowing them to absorb their power and then use it. That is to say, permanently gift a portion of their power to the person that will never fade or be permanently used up. 

18 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

You’re right, sorry, I completely didn’t consider that. At any rate, that’s not what I was talking about; Rashek and Vin we’re still completely human after taking the power, they didn’t permanently become a kind of energy-based being of the sort that a full Shard effectively is. Like I said, I’m talking more about a Shard turning someone permanently into a lesser version of themselves, not just temporarily allowing them to absorb their power and then use it. That is to say, permanently gift a portion of their power to the person that will never fade or be permanently used up. 

This might be similar to what autonomy does with avatars.

13 minutes ago, tmnsquirtle said:

This might be similar to what autonomy does with avatars.

Maybe, but I don’t really get the impression that she’s turning other people into avatars, rather she’s creating new people out of raw Investiture as avatars. Though admittedly, the information about what exactly she’s doing is very vague.

Maybe. Either way, I’m more thinking something along the lines of the archangels on Supernatural as compared to God/Chuck, only difference being that they started out as human before God turned them into the energy-based archangels rather than creating them that way to start, which is more what I think Autonomy is probably doing.

That's basically the heralds/fused are. If you want more closer to shard power then whatever autonomy does with the avatars or that ascension stuff from mistborn.

Cosmere is not classical fiction god-stuff so we are unlikely to see that stuff that is commonly in fiction.

• Chaos locked this topic