Ask Axelius Anything* (AKA Sanderson vs. Tolkien Duel)

Sherlock Holmes

23 hours ago, Voidus said:

Tom Bombadil isn't going to win a duel he's just not going to lose it.
The other two I stand by my previous points on.

I'm just glad you didn't say 'stand on my previous points' because that would be painful even for a DA member.

Edited by Gancho Libre

8 hours ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

That's a distinct possibility. 

Anyways, I'd like to bring up the fact that Tolkien has Huan, an immortal wolfhound who cannot die until he's slain the mightiest wolf ever to live. Thoughts? 

Also, Ungoliant vs. TLR. Who wins?

Any questions for me?

Death isn't the only way to win a fight.

Ungoliant wins. It took the might of Melkor AND roughly seven Balrogs to ward her off. Granted Melkor was weakened at the time.

It's been a while since I've read Mistborn but don't Shards see Allomantic power and metal as light? Ungoliant consumes light. Hmm...

Balrog vs Inquisitor?

6 minutes ago, Pagliacci said:

Ungoliant wins. It took the might of Melkor AND roughly seven Balrogs to ward her off. Granted Melkor was weakened at the time.

It's been a while since I've read Mistborn but don't Shards see Allomantic power and metal as light? Ungoliant consumes light. Hmm...

Balrog vs Inquisitor?

Stay a healthy distance away, Riot hunger until she eats herself, walk away. Or just Steelrun up, murder while no one can react, Steelrun away. Or Duralumin burn some Atium. Or use Allomantic steel and Feruchemical iron to turn into a thousand ton cannonball.
Also, I doubt that someone perceiving something as light counts as something being light. Otherwise all metal on Scadrial would be massless and moving at the speed of light.

I'd like to add that Pagliacci said: "Melkor and seven Balrogs." Fight that, since we're talking about them both in a dueling pit. Also, yeah, Investiture is light, so Ungoliant would just eat TLR and be done with it.

Balrog. Inquisitors have a set amount of powers (let's assume Mistborn, for clarity's sake), and they can only use their powers for so long until they die. Balrogs are also nigh-impossible to stop with anything except Gandalf (You cannot pass!), and Gandalf is a Maiar.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:20 AM, AxeliustheGreat said:

Also, yeah, Investiture is light, so Ungoliant would just eat TLR and be done with it.

If that's the rule you want to go by then sure. TLR still murders her 5000 times before she even notices he's there.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:20 AM, AxeliustheGreat said:

Balrog. Inquisitors have a set amount of powers (let's assume Mistborn, for clarity's sake), and they can only use their powers for so long until they die. Balrogs are also nigh-impossible to stop with anything except Gandalf (You cannot pass!), and Gandalf is a Maiar.

Chromium. Balrog is now unable to fight (Because apparently light = Investiture) stabby stabby stabby, balrog is now dead.

7 hours ago, Voidus said:

If that's the rule you want to go by then sure. TLR still murders her 5000 times before she even notices he's there.

Chromium. Balrog is now unable to fight (Because apparently light = Investiture) stabby stabby stabby, balrog is now dead.

Okay, for the first one, we’re assuming that this is a Pokémon-style duel. Both contestants are aware that the other exists.

Balrogs don’t have any light (Investiture), so they can’t be Leeched. Anyway, they have those awesome fiery weapons of death, and, might I remind you again, it took a literal Maiar to defeat one.

1 hour ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Okay, for the first one, we’re assuming that this is a Pokémon-style duel. Both contestants are aware that the other exists.

Balrogs don’t have any light (Investiture), so they can’t be Leeched. Anyway, they have those awesome fiery weapons of death, and, might I remind you again, it took a literal Maiar to defeat one.

Say what you will about Ungoliant but no one ever claimed she was the fleetest of foot, TLR still wins in a 'who reacts first' contest.

So the fiery weapons of death are definitely non magical and definitely have no light whatsoever? Then good news they're also completely ineffective as weapons.
And the thing that defeated something just means that the thing they defeated was at least weaker than they were, it doesn't set a lower limit only an upper one. So all you can establish is that a Balrog as a threat is somewhere between literally not a threat to anything and less threatening than a Maiar.

Vin accidentally murdered some people when she was holding Preservation and she spun the world around too quickly so technically it took a Shard in order to kill those people. Does that mean they can only be killed by a Shard?

Ahem. It took Morgoth and seven Balrogs to subdue Ungoliant. Subdue.

Okay, so I think the biggest problem with Tolkien’s universe is that he didn’t set any definite limits. Nothing is quantified. That sucks. 

But still, the Balrog has sheer size and power on its side. Once Vin runs out of metals, she’s done for, and the Balrog could hold her off until then.

13 hours ago, Voidus said:

Even if all the light/fire is taken away, the Balrog is still nigh impossible to defeat with mortal weapons. When Gandalf explains the sequence at Moria, I believe he mentions that the balrog fell into water that extinguished its flame, but it shifted into something slimy/eel-like and was still a capable fighter.

Ahem. It took Morgoth and seven Balrogs to subdue Ungoliant. Subdue.

And it took the power of a god, surprise, intricate knowledge of his powers and a complete lack of defensiveness on his side to kill TLR. But again, mentioning something that has subdued Ungoliant only places an upper limit on her power, not lower limit. Morgoth and seven Balrogs could also subdue a bunny rabbit. So bunny rabbit=Ungoliant?

But still, the Balrog has sheer size and power on its side. Once Vin runs out of metals, she’s done for, and the Balrog could hold her off until then.

Vin spends 3 books killing things that rely on size and power. She literally fought an entire army of beings like that, for the most part single handedly.

5 hours ago, Ashertliden said:

Even if all the light/fire is taken away, the Balrog is still nigh impossible to defeat with mortal weapons. When Gandalf explains the sequence at Moria, I believe he mentions that the balrog fell into water that extinguished its flame, but it shifted into something slimy/eel-like and was still a capable fighter.

What dis boi said.

6 hours ago, Ashertliden said:

TLR and Inquisitors were also considered impossible to kill with mortal weapons. Actually they were considered impossible to kill at all. Then Vin killed a bunch. Unless it is literally impossible to cut a Balrog's head off (It isn't) then Vin can do it. Because Atium is an insane cheat.

14 hours ago, Voidus said:

Then Vin gets the mists and definitely instantly decimates anything in LoTR.

Didn't we agree we'd leave the Parthenon out of this?

I mean, unless we want to go back to arguing over whos Gods are more powerful.

But unless we are, I don't think to have Vin Ascend is really fair.

Except for Ungoliant, who just eats all the Investiture and Vin.

But not before Vin throws her through the moon and into the sun.

2 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Didn't we agree we'd leave the Parthenon out of this?

I mean, unless we want to go back to arguing over whos Gods are more powerful.

But unless we are, I don't think to have Vin Ascend is really fair.

Technically this would be just prior to Vins Ascension, not after. So not technically a god.

The case could also be made that Shards aren't actually gods.

2 hours ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

But it's already been agreed that Shards are not included in the battle. 

So Vin doesn't have any back-up from Preservation. She's fighting on her own.

Ok sure.
The Mists aren't a Shard, they just primed Vin to Ascend to one. Also, you're the one who started with divine assistance, not me. :P