Ask Axelius Anything* (AKA Sanderson vs. Tolkien Duel)

Sherlock Holmes

TLR was defeated by someone with a knowledge of who he was, what his powers were and what his weakness was when they drew directly on the power of a Shard and even then only because he was caught by surprise and not actively trying to fight.

Sauron was defeated by Golumn, does that mean that anyone could kill Sauron as long as they had Golumns ability to bite fingers?

I'm not going to take a stance on this, but as the Archer stated, it was Pokemon style fight so Brandon gets control of what TLR does, effectively removing his overconfidence and actively making him fight as powerful as possible. This is the same for Tolkien.

5 hours ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

TLR was beaten by a Mistborn with the help of Fuzz. A wizard could destroy him. 

A Balrog could simply wave his whip through the chasmfiend's neck. It's the fire of death itself. 

Meeting adjourned. 

Gandalf does make fireworks. 

The Lord Ruler is unmatched in power. He could literally destroy a planet. And he was killed by someone who had similar godlike powers.

I agree Balrogs could probably cut through a Chasmfiends armor. But I'm saying that Chasmfiends are so much bigger than Barogs it wouldn't matter. Chasmfiends are bigger than Dragons, and Dragons are definitely bigger than Balrogs

1 hour ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

*Thinks of Smaug* *Realizes that no matter what he says, the other guy's opinion won't change* Fantasy scripture is much like religion, no?

Yeah, im saying that Chasmfiends are as big as smaug. Wait, nevermind, Smaug is twice the size of a chasmfiend, maybe three times. But Smaug is the second biggest dragon who has ever existed, most don't get nearly that big. Ancalgon the Black is even bigger though.

Lol, being on a Brandon Sanderson fan site, i think you are fighting a loosing battle @AxeliustheGreat

On 8/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, AxeliustheGreat said:

*Thinks of Smaug* *Realizes that no matter what he says, the other guy's opinion won't change* Fantasy scripture is much like religion, no?

Lol. True.

I personally think that Brandon Sanderson would win, but a big part of that is I liked LotR until I started reading Brandon, then I felt that Brandon's writing was a step up and had trouble going back.  Completely biased and personal opinion and not based in facts. : )

Edited by Furamirionind

Smaug the Terrible and Ancalgon the Black both can breath fire and cast curses on even the strongest of men. I mean, Smaug just walked into the Lonely Mountain. He barely had to expend any energy at all to take over one of the strongest dwarvish fortresses ever. Ancalgon the Black took an entire army to kill him, and even then cast some pretty scary curses. 

No doubt that those dragons are powerful. They’re freaking massive and have incredible power, that said those are the two largest and most powerful dragons to have existed in LotR, ever  

A chasmfiend took an entire battalion with 3 shardbearers in full Shard armor to be killed. 

Those blades can cut through anything, which gave them an undeniable advantage in that fight, which made the battle seem easier in comparison, but still very difficult. 

I don't think Dragons or Chasmfiends would contribute in any meaningful way. Sure they could kill some random Orcs/Koloss by the thousands but a Shard could do that in half a second with about as much effort as blinking. The fight would be decided by which pantheon kills the other.

Adonalsium. He is splintered. Eru is WHOLE. They are GODS: same power. So power of anybody else does'nt matter. Valar aren't (I love Tolkien, but sorry) as strong as Shards. They created planet, yes. But there were over dozen of them, I think.

Eru can destroy Shards one by one or together. It doesn't matter. He is sixteen times stronger than them and knows perfectly how to use his power + he is not limited by intents + he has no cooperation problems + he has Ainur. We do NOT know their numbers, but Valar are only some of them. And I am considering all Shards whole! Tolkien wins. No doubts, no discussions.

In case that Adonalsium is whole, he invites Eru on drink. Battle over guys.

Edit: y≠i

Edited by NoiseSpren

Ok, I think of we really want to answer this incredibly important question, we should take the most powerful beings from each universe and compare them (their powers) to a thing in the real world... Like humans.  Then give them a power rating based on that.  We should probably leave out Ea and God Beyond as we can probably say safely that they will balance each other out.

Also, everyone forgot the Smedrys! Sure, they are not the most powerful bunch... But Alcatraz and Gandpa Smedry are both insanely powerful.  (We still dont know the limitations on Alcatraz's power...)  And

Spoiler

Who knows, maybe he will just Break Tolkiens magic.

he might even be able to go up against Ea with that power.  Oh, Ea tries to destroy Grandpa Smedry? It doesn't work.  It will just be postponed and happen late.

Still though, we should ignore the powers of all-powerful-beings. As they won't get us any farther in this discussion.

15 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Smaug looks at a chasmfiend. Smaug squishes said chasmfiend's head with one talon. Smaug sees a Balrog. Smaug bows his head in respect.

Also, I have four Balrogs and at least a few Dragons, 14 Valar, some Maiar, etc. Y'all only have 9 Shards, suckas.

*Alcatraz walk up to Smaug, Smaug tries to squash Alcatraz.  Alcatraz breaks Smaug's connection to all three realms (spiritual, cognitive, & physical)*

Wow... In which book did that happen?  Because if that happened in a book, that would really prove your point... Otherwise...

Just because we have only met 9 shards doesn't mean the others are not characters.  We know from the books that there are 16 shards.  So obviously they are still characters too...

It is probably a good thing Alcatraz isnt in the cosmere... Because he might be more powerful than Adonalsium...

Spoiler

OH MY! Alcatraz was the weapon that was expended in the shattering of Adonalsium!!! (Or his talent at least?)

Edited by Furamirionind

5 hours ago, Whatintarnationspren said:

TOM!!!! We should just stop arguing and talk about Tom Bombadil.

As please explain how Tom Bombadil would be more powerful than Alcatraz?

If we are looking at this a Pokemon style fight, Alcatraz's first and only move would be to "Break oponents connection the their magic, the physical world, and anything else possible to break about them".

Remember, he did touch a chicken once and made it think it was a cat.  He could alternatively make Tom think he is a rabbit.  Which would then run from a fight...

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

I like Tom

It has been a while since I read LotR.  So I searched up Tom on Wikipedia.  He sounds cool, but according to Wikipedia we dont know much about him...

(I have not read much of the silmarailian though, so if he is in that, I am not familiar with it...)

12 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

It has been a while since I read LotR.  So I searched up Tom on Wikipedia.  He sounds cool, but according to Wikipedia we dont know much about him...

He was more of a side character. But I enjoyed his scenes, as he was funny and offered a different pov.

Tom Bombadil can hold the Ring, and not be corrupted by it. 

I don't really know if Dragons are more powerful than Balrogs, but I have Huan, who subdued Sauron himself at one point. And has the powers of the Valar. What a hound!

Edited by AxeliustheGreat