Adolin_Dustbringer

Eshonai confirmed for Knights Radiant?

21 posts in this topic

This is from the Sugarhouse signing:

Q:  Are the rest of the books in the Stormlight Archive going to be different colors?
A:  They are, and you can actually match the color to the order of the Knights Radiant.  That's the Windrunners[WoK], that's the symbol of the Windrunners, that's the color. That's the Lightweavers[WoR], and that's the symbol of the Lightweavers, which is the same, and the color.

And we know the 4th's book is Eshonai's so... Does this mean, then, that she'll eventually become a Radiant?

Not yet, unfortunately:

Q:  Is Eshonai going to be a Radiant?
A:  In the past, parshmen/Parshendi were not allowed to become Knights Radiant.  However, what I said might imply that that could change.  But no promises.

It doesn't necessarily mean she will, the book with just be focused on one, though I think it's a big possibility. Or she's dead.

We know that each book will have a flashback character and a focus on one of the ten orders, but there's no promises that the flashback character will be a member of that order. 

That being said, VERY high probability that Eshonai will become a Radiant. And since she's the Explorer, there's a very obvious order for her to go to, which conveniently enough, is unclaimed by any of our current likely PoV characters. 

So far we've had Windrunners and Lightweavers, and most likely will have Skybreakers with Szeth. Dalinar is a Bondsmith, Jasnah is an Elsecaller, Renarin a Truthwatcher and Lift an Edgedancer. Taln will be the Stonewards' representative obviously, which leaves only the Dustbringers and the Willshapers. I have a strong suspicion that Adolin will be the Dustbringer, which leaves Eshonai as the Willshaper - which is the perfect order for her character based on the Words of Radiance description of the order: a love of adventure and exploration and a large variety in the other characteristics of the members.

We know that each book will have a flashback character and a focus on one of the ten orders, but there's no promises that the flashback character will be a member of that order. 

That being said, VERY high probability that Eshonai will become a Radiant. And since she's the Explorer, there's a very obvious order for her to go to, which conveniently enough, is unclaimed by any of our current likely PoV characters. 

So far we've had Windrunners and Lightweavers, and most likely will have Skybreakers with Szeth. Dalinar is a Bondsmith, Jasnah is an Elsecaller, Renarin a Truthwatcher and Lift an Edgedancer. Taln will be the Stonewards' representative obviously, which leaves only the Dustbringers and the Willshapers. I have a strong suspicion that Adolin will be the Dustbringer, which leaves Eshonai as the Willshaper - which is the perfect order for her character based on the Words of Radiance description of the order: a love of adventure and exploration and a large variety in the other characteristics of the members.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. So, could that comet-like spren then be the type of spren that Willshapers bonded with? 

That being said, this is a LOT of conjecture. For all this to happen she'd have to actually be alive in the first place, then she'd have to somehow unbond the Stormspren, then she'd have to somehow form a Nahel bond and become a Radiant, which is apparently something that no Listener has ever done. That's a lot to happen in just 2 books. We'll see, I guess.

There was also a quote in front of one of the chapters about blending the surges with those of men. I took this to mean a listener could become a surgebinder, but it might also mean they just fought alongside each other.

Will Sanderson ever give Jasnah her own book?

Will Sanderson ever give Jasnah her own book?

Jasnah's book will be one of the last 5, together with Lift, Taln, Renarin and 1 unknown so far person.

Well, considering that she just took a very bad tumble into a Chasm, right before a dual Highstorm and Everstorm event.

AND she had her Cometspren constantly pestering her.

I would guess that there is a significant chance that the fall might have sufficiently incapacitated her to allow the Cometspren penetrate her and kick out the Voidspren.

Unfortunately, we have a long wait to see what really happens.

Okay, I was going to start a thread about the comet spren as Willshaper-spren, but posting here works just as well. 

We have WOB that the cometspren are related to the KR:

Q:  Do we see the highspren at all in Words of Radiance? And if so, do they look like a comet?
A:  That's a good question. That's a gooood, good question. I will say this, the comet, hmm, the comet spren. The comet spren is very important to an order of Knights Radiant.

(from this thread, the 7th post)

We see one of them several times in Eshonai's viewpoints after she gains stormform.

Eshonai waved her hand as she climbed the central spire of Narak, trying to shoo away the tiny spren. It danced around her head, shedding rings of light from its cometlike form. Horrid thing. Why would it not leave her alone?

(WoR p. 711)

She shook her head, and found that she had reflexively put her hand to her chest in anxiety. When she opened it, the cometlike spren shot out.

(WoR p. 711-712)

Interestingly, this second one is immediately after she first hears screaming when attuning the Rhythm of Peace. Also, she thinks of it as "horrid," which, given that she's being controlled by some Odious force, seems to imply that this is a good spren. 

The logical conclusion from this is that the cometspren is a Nahel-bonding spren, one from an order we haven't seen yet. We've seen the spren for Windrunners, Edgedancers, Truthwatchers (Ym's interlude), Lightweavers, Elsecallers, and Bondsmiths. We have WoB that implies that each book will be focused on an order of KR, thus far the order of its focus character:

Q:  Are the rest of the books in the Stormlight Archive going to be different colors?
A:  They are, and you can actually match the color to the order of the Knights Radiant.  That's the Windrunners[WoK], that's the symbol of the Windrunners, that's the color. That's the Lightweavers[WoR], and that's the symbol of the Lightweavers, which is the same, and the color. 

(From the 14th post on this thread. Also, I thought the WOB was more concrete than this, so if there's a better one that I couldn't find, please let me know!)

The characters confirmed to have their own books are Szeth, Eshonai, Dalinar, Renarin, Jasnah, Taln, and Lift, leaving us one open spot. (Apologies for the long list of quotes, but I wanted to be sure to have all the proper WOBs :))

Q:  Is Jasnah's book going to be one of the backstories?
A:  It is. She's on the back five.  

(same thread, 3rd post)

Q:  Is the second half of the series based off of some of these interlude characters?
A:  Some of the interlude characters, yes.  And some that aren't interlude characters.  For example, Renarin is going to be one of the back five.

(once again, the 14th post of the WOB thread)

Q:  Do you know the order of 6-10?
A:  I know whose they are but I haven't decided the order.  Lift is one, Taln is one.  The person who calls himself Taln.

(11th post of the WOB thread)

Q:  Are we going to find out in here, why Szeth and what the Truthless are all about?
A:  That, you will have to wait for his flashback sequences in a future book.  Each character gets a set of flashback sequences.  I'm not going to promise that the characters live to the book where their flashback sequences are.  You might have a character die and then get their flashbacks the next book to get more information on them.  This will be Shallan's flashback, then the next book will be Szeth's flashback, then Eshonai, then Dalinar.

(OP of the same thread)

Okay, so of those, we know Szeth is going to be related to the Skybreakers, so it's unlikely that Eshonai would have a highspren following her around, since that order will be taken care of in someone else's book. Taln will presumably represent the Stonewards. That leaves the Willshapers and the Dustbringers as the two orders without a representative. 

While Eshonai could fit with either brave/obedient for the Dustbringers or resolute/builder for the Willshapers, I think the description of the Willshapers in Words of Radiance fits well with her title of "Explorer" on the back cover. 

And now, if there was an uncut gem among the Radiants, it was the Willshapers; for though enterprising, they were erratic, and Invia wrote of them, “capricious, frustrating, unreliable,” as taking it for granted that others would agree; this may have been an intolerant view, as ofter Invia expressed, for this order was said to be most varied, inconsistent in temperament save for a general love of adventure, novelty, or oddity.

-- From Words of Radiance, chapter 7, page 1

(WoR p. 582, emphasis mine)

In addition to this, there's also the one time that the cometspren appear outside of an Eshonai viewpoint:

Kaladin was sure he heard terrible screams over the winds, as red spren he'd never seen before-- like small meteors, trailing light behind them-- zipped around him.

(WoR p. 1039)

This is from right after Shallan activates the Oathgate and teleports the entire army to Urithiru. The Oathgates are fabrials which imitate the Surge of Transportation. And Willshapers are one of the orders with access to the Transportation Surge. While the spren that Kaladin sees may not be Nahel bonding spren themselves, I believe they are at least related to them in the way that windspren are related to honorspren, and the one following Eshonai is probably an actual KR spren.

Sorry this got so long, I rambled and probably quoted more WOBs than necessary, but I wanted to be thorough.

In addition to this, there's also the one time that the cometspren appear outside of an Eshonai viewpoint:

(WoR p. 1039)

I'm pretty sure as they're red, that those are Stormspren instead of the comet spren. No evidence or anything to back it up, just seems a more fitting description... 

I'm pretty sure as they're red, that those are Stormspren instead of the comet spren. No evidence or anything to back it up, just seems a more fitting description... 

The stormspren were always described as looking like red lightning, though, not meteors/comets. I suppose the spren Kaladin sees could be some other type of voidspren, but if so, I find it a little strange that they're shaped so similarly to the cometspren.

I always thought that Shen (Sorry I can't remember his real name) who showed up later in WoR (Does anyone else think this guy is awesome) would be the Parshendi KR. It just seemed to make more sense to me since Eshonai seems more like a good guy who got possessed and needs to be killed, then a good guy who went bad and needs to be redeemed.

“And now, if there was an uncut gem among the Radiance, it was the Willshapers; for though enterprising, they were erratic, and Invia wrote of them, 'capricious, frustrating, unreliable,' as taking it for granted that others would agree; this may have been an intolerant view, as often Invia expressed, for this order was said to be most varied, inconsistent in temperament save for a general love of adventure, novelty, or oddity.” (WoR, chapter 50 epigraph)

"Capricious" and "unreliable" do not sound like Eshonai very much, IMO.

To me, this sounds like Elhokar. We know he sees "things" in the mirror, so it sounds like a spren has chosen him already.

Maybe both of them are Willshapers?

Or maybe Eshonai is an Elsecaller, like Jasnah? Elsecallers were "prime liaisons with the great ones of the spren" (WoR, chapter 50 epigraph), which might be the same as a highspren.

Also, @ CalebTheGeek, I thought the same thing - Shen/Rlain will end up a Radiant or at least a squire.

Edited by old aggie

“And now, if there was an uncut gem among the Radiance, it was the Willshapers; for though enterprising, they were erratic, and Invia wrote of them, 'capricious, frustrating, unreliable,' as taking it for granted that others would agree; this may have been an intolerant view, as often Invia expressed, for this order was said to be most varied, inconsistent in temperament save for a general love of adventure, novelty, or oddity.” (WoR, chapter 50 epigraph)

While I agree Eshonai is not capricious or unreliable, the text notes that "the order was said to be ... varied, inconsistent in temperament", which means Eshonai could still fit. All you really need is a general love of adventure, and Eshonai has that in spades. Now that her people are gone and she's on her own, that could definitely come out more.

To me, this sounds like Elhokar. We know he sees "things" in the mirror, so it sounds like a spren has chosen him already.

Or maybe Eshonai is an Elsecaller, like Jasnah? Elsecallers were "prime liaisons with the great ones of the spren" (WoR, chapter 50 epigraph), which might be the same as a highspren.

Also, @ CalebTheGeek, I thought the same thing - Shen/Rlain will end up a Radiant or at least a squire.

Well, Eshonai is sort of a weirdo amoung the Parshendi. She went on adventures and adventures during years and if I recalled properly, the others viewed that as erratic. She has shown temperament inconsistency, one day wanting to kill Dalinar, the other wanting to make a friend out of him.

I could see her as a Willshaper. Elsecaller primary attribute is wisdom. I guess we could say Eshonai has shown wisdom at times, but it is a very different kind of wisdom then book learned Jasnah. However, I sincerely doubt we will be seeing more than one member of each order in the first 5 books, I would bet on the Willshapers.

I don't remember reading anything about Eshonai wanting to kill Dalinar before the stormspren happened. When she fought Dalinar the first time after the betrayal we don't actually know of she meant to kill him or merely put him into a position where she could talk to him. Remember her people didn't share the same view she had on the truce and Alethi are rather bloodthirsty so it makes sense to first defeat Dalinar before being able to talk to him. She wouldn't know that Dalinar actually wanted peace himself. If anything her "trust" of Dalinar leads me to believe the bonding theory. Seems every Radiant in training so far instantly has some kind of trust for the big man.

I imagine Willshapers as people that do what they want when the situation allows it but are able to rise to the occasion is needed. This leads to the prejudge that they are inconsistent in temperament as when things aren't dire they are just fulfilling their desires. Eshonai still desperately wants to go journeying about but instead she stays as an anchor for her people.

O_o! I hadn't considered that there might be something "surgebinding pluss" going on with Dalinar. It seems to go both ways, though, as Dalinar instinctively trusts Kaladin. I am willing to bet that this isn't just normal character building, as Brandon seems to really rub it in. Dalinar asks himself several times rather insistently why he trusts Kaladin so instinctively.

I don't remember reading anything about Eshonai wanting to kill Dalinar before the stormspren happened. When she fought Dalinar the first time after the betrayal we don't actually know of she meant to kill him or merely put him into a position where she could talk to him. Remember her people didn't share the same view she had on the truce and Alethi are rather bloodthirsty so it makes sense to first defeat Dalinar before being able to talk to him. She wouldn't know that Dalinar actually wanted peace himself. If anything her "trust" of Dalinar leads me to believe the bonding theory. Seems every Radiant in training so far instantly has some kind of trust for the big man.

I imagine Willshapers as people that do what they want when the situation allows it but are able to rise to the occasion is needed. This leads to the prejudge that they are inconsistent in temperament as when things aren't dire they are just fulfilling their desires. Eshonai still desperately wants to go journeying about but instead she stays as an anchor for her people.

Well, I always figured that is what she was trying to do at the Tower in WoK. I have always assumed she changed her mind in WoR. I could be wrong though as I do not have quotes to support me.

As for the journeys, I think it may be that Eshonai NEEDS to go on one... If we look at our 5 KR, each is struggling with certain aspect of their attributes. Kal is having issues in protecting people with honor. Shallan is mixed up between truths and lies. Dalinar lets misplaced trust get the better of him. I dunno about Renarin and Jasnah, we haven't enough of them just yet.

It could be that Eshonai is struggling between rising up to the occasion and being the adventurer. Maybe she needs to be the adventurer to rise up, may be the journeys are the key as the enable her to get different point-of-vue from different cultures. As she fell into the chasm, I believe she will now be on her own and this "journey" will pave the path to her Radianthood.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Edited by maxal

I think we need to take the quotes from the Words of Radiance book with a rather large dose of salt. After all, the Edgedancers are described as

they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants. —From Words of Radiance, chapter 20, page 12

Our example Edgedancer is Lift.

Plus, the book even states that Invia's viewpoint may have been highly biased, and certainly her sister seems to feel that Eshonai has demonstrated capriciousness in the past, while Venli played the dutiful daughter.

I'm not convinced that Eshonai will become a Knight Radiant, but I do agree that if she does the Willshapers would be likely.

@ Sphinx #20 - Point taken re: reliability of these epigraphs. :-)

I still think that Elhokar will be a Willshaper, though. I think we'll ultimately have dozens if not hundreds of KRs from each of the Orders, though not all wil be main characters of course. And Brandon needn't limit himself to one PoV character per Order.

But back to Eshonai -

Re: the endpapers at the back of tWoK - Might the Listeners have 10 "orders" too, with different Surges? So that "Explorer" might actually be one of their orders? Or do you all think that those different symbols stand for the same things as those in the KR diagrams in the front end papers, just written in a different script/language? (Confession: I haven't searched the forums to see if this has already been addressed.)

The richness and depth of the world-building behind the SA is just too fun!