what happens to an honorblade if the herald really, truly dies?

Yeti on a settee

Hi. I don't know if this question has been asked or theorised before but I was wondering that now Jezerien is dead, shouldn't his honorblade vanish too, or because Jezerien is proper dead, will the blade remain?

In the prelude to WoK, after seeing 8 swords, Kalak knows 8 had survived because:

"If their masters had died, the Blades would have vanished".

The term "master" I mean to think the original owner, not the current person wielding the blade. As in, if the current owner died, I wouldn't expect the blade to disapear.

So I believed that when Jezerien died, the blade also went, but with Jerzerien proper dying, I'm no longer sure if this is 100% accurate.

Side note. I also believe we have not seen the true power of the Honorblades. Kalak also mentions in the prelude to WoK that:

"These Blades were weapons of power beyond even Shardblades"

But, what we have currently seen from an honorblade is, in my opinion, a little underwhelming. So I also believe we have yet to witnesses the full power of an honorblade.

Are there any WoB that answer theae questions?

Oh great! :) Ive only read SA once and just srarted my re-read (Kalak scene) and I tend to mess up the order of when things happen. In my head I thought that scene happened before!

Thats quite interesting in itself. The blade did not disapear this time, even though Kalak mentions it should. So the fact the blade remained rather than disappearing is significant... Could the blade now be more powerful now it is no longer keyed to a true master?

Yeah, none of the Heralds but Nale are bonded to their blades anymore, so none of them would return with them. I kind of assumed that whether or not the Jezrien went to Braize, wouldn't effect the Honorblade since he was no longer bonded to it. I mean, the Shin have been bonding to them and practicing with them for years and years, so the heralds can't still be bonded to them, unless Heralds and Honorblades had a connection with each other that I don't understand. And yeah, personally, I think Jezrien is beyond. The gemstone idea kind of makes some sense from what I've seen, but I'm still skeptical. I know there's been a couple threads on it, do you think you have the link @Calderis?

There is a deeper connection between the Heralds and their shardblades than what we have seen. it was stated that the stone shamans would recover the Honorblade when Szeth died. When Kaladin killed Szeth we see the bond severed between him and his Blade. The fact that Honorblades followed the Heralds to Braize is evidence of a different type of bond. In order to kill Jezrien Odium had to use a form of Hemalurgy. I do not believe that it is a coincidence that the person who killed Jezrien gained his Honorblade. 

I believe the Honorblades have a Deeper Connection to the Heralds even if someone else bonds it. Everyone else creats a shallow bond. It is stated in the Books somewhere that they used to lend them out.

However the Bond between Jezrien and his blade was broken, and he has gone to the beyond. Heralds were normal humans imbued with investigure and made heralds. The Knife just removed that Investigure, and allowed Jezrien go to the Beyond. The Jem just holds the investigure not the soul of Jezrien. Now whether this will allow to make another Herald, i don't have a clue.

Edited by Magpro

• Pagerunner changed the title to what happens to an honorblade if the herald really, truly dies?
On 8/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, Yeti on a settee said:

Side note. I also believe we have not seen the true power of the Honorblades. Kalak also mentions in the prelude to WoK that:

"These Blades were weapons of power beyond even Shardblades"

But, what we have currently seen from an honorblade is, in my opinion, a little underwhelming. So I also believe we have yet to witnesses the full power of an honorblade.

Are there any WoB that answer theae questions?

The Heralds were powered directly by Honor, so even though the Honorblades are less efficient, the Heralds had access to raw levels of power that no Radiant could obtain

• Chaos locked this topic