2,446 posts in this topic

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of the next chapter. :ph34r: 

How about instead you go work on Newcago Office. That at least doesn’t make feel uncomfortably bad for someone I shouldn’t.

5 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

How about instead you go work on Newcago Office. That at least doesn’t make feel uncomfortably bad for someone I shouldn’t.

If it helps, all of this is happening a couple years before Calamity probably even knew about Earth, and Steven never would have dreamed of listing “murder” as a hobby on his online dating profile. 

And I did finish a new Newcago Office chapter a couple days ago, so there’s that. :P

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If it helps, all of this is happening a couple years before Calamity probably even knew about Earth, and Steven never would have dreamed of listing “murder” as a hobby on his online dating profile. 

And I did finish a new Newcago Office chapter a couple days ago, so there’s that. :P

I need a link to this Newcago Office story, now. 

I realized I wasn’t going to end up finishing that essay, and so here’s the bare bones of it I ended up doing before ditching the project. Figured I might as well post the parts I did do rather than leave it in abandoned projects Limbo forever.

@Edgedancer @TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Spoiler

What Happened With Two Seemingly Unconnected Characters Sharing Only Intense Distaste for Each Other: Unintentional Parallels in Portland

An essay by Winter Devotion

There’s something undeniably magnetic about TwyLightSanSparkle’s Doctor Funtimes and Edgedancer’s Nighthound. As two thirds of the Empire of Light, very little of the roleplay What Happened In Portland, if not for their actions kicking the story into motion. Lightwards, written by Kobold King, would never feel as trapped or overwhelmed without the pressure of their strong chaotic personalities pushing him in every direction. The parallels run deep, from their aesthetic, to their introduction, and their relationships. The contrast between them is what drives the plot.

For the sake of a simpler argument, information exclusively revealed through out of character conversation, inferred from the Reckoners novels, or the discussed in the sequel will be discounted. Similarly, any difference in writer should be considered more or less irrelevant, outside of acknowledging the credit of the spectacular writers responsible for them.

Funtimes is not simply first introduced in the context of Nathan’s point of view— the entire purpose of her in his introduction is to save him. Her first words are, “Where’s Nathan? (1)”

Ray and Nathan occupy a similar narrative role, at least until Red and the rest of the twisted “harem” enter the picture. They are both taken from their normal lives by powerful Epics and, although Nathan ostensibly has greater freedom, neither can consent

I like you… Being liked by an Epic was more than simple favor. It was a blessing, a promise of protection for as long as one was deemed worthy. Though worthiness could change, there was usually an inciting incident of some sort, one that gave the favored human a clue as to why they were favored—and how to keep the Epic’s admiration (1).”
“It was literally join you or die, was what he didn't say. If she heard that, it was only a small leap from "I joined you so I wouldn't die" to "If they're threatened with death too, they might decide your parties aren't so bad."(1)”

Then again, the surprising comparisons only serves to illustrate the stark differences. Nobody, not even Nathan, would have questioned it if she abused him in the same manner Nighthound does Ray. It takes until page # for Ligthwards to realize ‘the Traveller’ is not an Epic because of how apparently unprecedented the act is. By pretending her teleportation belonged to him, she neutered her own combat capacities and surrendered her authority over him, at least in public. Nathan begins as amusement for Fortuity before he is raised to Epic status, while Ray had that status before being lowered to amusement for Nighthound. It is Nathan who serves as the key to Funtimes’s redemption. It is Ray who lands the killing blow on Nighthound, with Voidgaze’s help.

Funtimes and Nighthound are not only foils to each other. Lightwards is not in the middle of a sliding scale of their extremes, he is a third point. The Empire of Light, was doomed to fail.

The biggest difference between their sisters seems to be clear—Courtney is long dead, while Lucentia is alive (and complaining) as a hostile Epic— but nothing is ever that simple. Hostile Epic is incredibly significant, considering how closely Funtimes’s weakness is connected to Courtney’s death. It is her song, I Miss You, that is

23 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I realized I wasn’t going to end up finishing that essay, and so here’s the bare bones of it I ended up doing before ditching the project. Figured I might as well post the parts I did do rather than leave it in abandoned projects Limbo forever.

Reveal hidden contents

What Happened With Two Seemingly Unconnected Characters Sharing Only Intense Distaste for Each Other: Unintentional Parallels in Portland

There’s something undeniably magnetic about TwyLightSanSparkle’s Doctor Funtimes and Edgedancer’s Nighthound. As two thirds of the Empire of Light, very little of the roleplay What Happened In Portland, if not for their actions kicking the story into motion. Lightwards, written by Kobold King, would never feel as trapped or overwhelmed without the pressure of their strong chaotic personalities pushing him in every direction. The parallels run deep, from their aesthetic, to their introduction, and their relationships. The contrast between them is what drives the plot.

For the sake of a simpler argument, information exclusively revealed through out of character conversation, inferred from the Reckoners novels, or the discussed in the sequel will be discounted. Similarly, any difference in writer should be considered more or less irrelevant, outside of acknowledging the credit of the spectacular writers responsible for them.

Funtimes is not simply first introduced in the context of Nathan’s point of view— the entire purpose of her in his introduction is to save him. Her first words are, “Where’s Nathan? (1)”

Ray and Nathan occupy a similar narrative role, at least until Red and the rest of the twisted “harem” enter the picture. They are both taken from their normal lives by powerful Epics and, although Nathan ostensibly has greater freedom, neither can consent

I like you… Being liked by an Epic was more than simple favor. It was a blessing, a promise of protection for as long as one was deemed worthy. Though worthiness could change, there was usually an inciting incident of some sort, one that gave the favored human a clue as to why they were favored—and how to keep the Epic’s admiration (1).”
“It was literally join you or die, was what he didn't say. If she heard that, it was only a small leap from "I joined you so I wouldn't die" to "If they're threatened with death too, they might decide your parties aren't so bad."(1)”

Then again, the surprising comparisons only serves to illustrate the stark differences. Nobody, not even Nathan, would have questioned it if she abused him in the same manner Nighthound does Ray. It takes until page # for Ligthwards to realize ‘the Traveller’ is not an Epic because of how apparently unprecedented the act is. By pretending her teleportation belonged to him, she neutered her own combat capacities and surrendered her authority over him, at least in public. Nathan begins as amusement for Fortuity before he is raised to Epic status, while Ray had that status before being lowered to amusement for Nighthound. It is Nathan who serves as the key to Funtimes’s redemption. It is Ray who lands the killing blow on Nighthound, with Voidgaze’s help.

Funtimes and Nighthound are not only foils to each other. Lightwards is not in the middle of a sliding scale of their extremes, he is a third point. The Empire of Light, was doomed to fail.

The biggest difference between their sisters seems to be clear—Courtney is long dead, while Lucentia is alive (and complaining) as a hostile Epic— but nothing is ever that simple. Hostile Epic is incredibly significant, considering how closely Funtimes’s weakness is connected to Courtney’s death. It is her song, I Miss You, that is

That’s a mighty fine essay you’ve got going there. :ph34r: And I’ll admit the parallels you brought up never really occurred to me before? They were very much unintentional, at least on my part, but as you point out here, they work. 

22 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

That’s a mighty fine essay you’ve got going there. :ph34r: And I’ll admit the parallels you brought up never really occurred to me before? They were very much unintentional, at least on my part, but as you point out here, they work. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, winter devotion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Huh, that's some pretty good parallels you managed to observe there. I continues to amaze me how much of this stuff can just kind of happen without concious effort or anything of the like.

Just now, Edgedancer said:

Huh, that's some pretty good parallels you managed to observe there. I continues to amaze me how much of this stuff can just kind of happen without concious effort or anything of the like.

I'm honestly surprised neither of you were doing any of it intentionally.  

Just now, winter devotion said:

I'm honestly surprised neither of you were doing any of it intentionally.  

Not really. There were a lot of instances in the RP where the players picked up on opportunities and started to intentionally build on them further going forward. This wasn't one of those times. I actually had always considered Nighthound and Funtimes to have fairly little interaction for being in the same factions on account of them often doing their own thing. That's not to say there was nothing, of course, just significantly less than Funtimes interaction with Lightwards for example.

5 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Not really. There were a lot of instances in the RP where the players picked up on opportunities and started to intentionally build on them further going forward. This wasn't one of those times. I actually had always considered Nighthound and Funtimes to have fairly little interaction for being in the same factions on account of them often doing their own thing. That's not to say there was nothing, of course, just significantly less than Funtimes interaction with Lightwards for example.

The fact that they don't interact much is part of what makes it that much more interesting-- their relationships with Lightwards are both more developed and the differences in that makes for some more contrast. 

2 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

The fact that they don't interact much is part of what makes it that much more interesting-- their relationships with Lightwards are both more developed and the differences in that makes for some more contrast. 

True. Foils and contrasts don't need to be in your face and constantly thrown at each other to exsist, much less work. A bit of subtlety and breathing room so both sides can be fully fleshed out on their own can do wonders to make something complex work.

Which makes me wonder if we actually could have done better on purpose, or if us trying to switch to doing it conciously would have led to over compensation.

Hm, there's some interesting implications about authorial intend in here.

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

True. Foils and contrasts don't need to be in your face and constantly thrown at each other to exsist, much less work. A bit of subtlety and breathing room so both sides can be fully fleshed out on their own can do wonders to make something complex work.

Which makes me wonder if we actually could have done better on purpose, or if us trying to switch to doing it conciously would have led to over compensation.

Hm, there's some interesting implications about authorial intend in here.

Maybe good characters just tend to fall into interesting interactions. 

Interesting. I like it. There's surely a lot more that could go into it, but yeah. I like the essay, and the other thoughts surrounding it. Very much true. Yup. Quite. Certainly accurate. [insert next redundancy]

9 hours ago, FeuerBrisingr said:

Interesting. I like it. There's surely a lot more that could go into it, but yeah. I like the essay, and the other thoughts surrounding it. Very much true. Yup. Quite. Certainly accurate. [insert next redundancy]

Thank you. I really really like Oregon (and Edmonton) and all the little stories that combine to make one huge one— it feels natural in a way so many stories with shifting perspective fails to— and the mix of new writers with old ones gives room for such fun interactions.

I also think it basically proves the English teacher hypothesis of “the door is red to symbolize anger” total nonsense, as so many of the fun symbolism and contrasting characters were completely unintentional. 

SIDE NOTE: I just imagined that all the Epics were Pokemon.  What would your Epic's Pokemon description be?

NUKES AND COCKROACHES:

I think several characters are underutilizing their powers.  For example, if it wasn't for the fact that Edmonton contains two Epics with extreme range capabilities, Red would be the de-facto biggest threat in the city.  I mean, even Funtimes straight up loses to blowing out all the blood vessels in someone's brain.  And it's not like you can snipe her.  She'll hear your heartbeat, and then kill you instantly.  Heck, Red has a chance of taking down sparking Steelheart!  We don't know if Steelheart is indestructible or just has impenetrable skin, and if the latter is true, he's dead near-instantly.  The only PIs that survive Red are (ironically) probably regeneration and reincarnation, and perhaps time shenanigans and luck, though luck only helps the person not be there!

The only way to kill Red, if she went all-out, killing everyone instantly who comes into her AoE, is remote detonation, or IN HER SLEEP.

Red functionally has a PI. And that PI is killing everyone first.  True, she still needs a tenth of a second to react, due to brain lag, but that's one heck of a quick draw.

The only reason that everyone isn't wrecked if Red goes on a murder spree is Epoch (and Blank too, but to a lesser degree.)

Oh, Epoch.  The other OHKO Epic.  Yet another Epic that could kill (or at least neutralize) Steelheart.  True, he doesn't have a good PI, but that's one heck of an auto-win.  Freezing someone in time, then boxing them up and forgetting about them is actually very effective.  And the kicker is he can do it AT RANGE.  If you have a power, and you want to make it really good, combine it with scrying/gifting.  I mean, Blank is just a light illusionist, a supercharged refractionary, but add in those two powers, and well...  I'll discuss Blank later.

The reason Epoch and Red are not taking over the game is that they are glass cannons.  Both can one-shot pretty much everybody, and with Epoch you can't even run away.  However, Red can be killed anytime she isn't autokilling everyone in range, if you can get her before she can react, or in her sleep, and Epoch is even more fragile, as you are more likely to succeed in one hit.  Red is also kept in check by Epoch, who is in turn kept in check by the fact that he needs an organization to not trigger his weakness.  

Not everyone is a glass cannon though.

Take Blank and Viktor.  Blank, though easily defeated by sound-based verification, is practically impossible to kill!  They could be anyone, and through gifting and scrying, they don't even have to be on-site!  And gifting scrying can help decrease the chance of simply missing something, like Regalia was oft to do.  True, they can't hear sounds, but that's hardly an issue with Viktor around.

Speaking of Viktor.  He's basically the Winter Soldier.  Except he's good at other things too!  He's like a ninja cockroach.

No, hear me out.  Everyone knows that you can't nuke a cockroach, you have to step on it.  Well, Viktor is a cockroach that's really, really good at hiding.  Hence the ninja part.

So, I say that while we don't have the number of medium power Epics accurate (in my opinion), there are definitely some heavy-hitters.  And I didn't even get into MV, Quietus, Impact, Funtimes, Kokichi, Nicroburst, ect!

I'll probably analyze them all later.  Sorry that this isn't formatted very well, but these are my thoughts on some of the Epics who are being underestimated currently.

PS: I am very excited for Jacklyn to actually get in a chance to meet someone face-to-face.  The time distortion, her not knowing Epoch could see her, and the distance prevented her power from really getting its hooks into Epoch, so I am eager for her power to start working on someone's mind.  Depending on the person, that could either be good for them, or really, really bad.

Hehehe.

Wasn't Jacklyn going to meet with Quietus and Red? Because that one will probably end badly.

10 hours ago, Ookla of the Flame said:

SIDE NOTE: I just imagined that all the Epics were Pokemon.  What would your Epic's Pokemon description be?

NUKES AND COCKROACHES:

I think several characters are underutilizing their powers.  For example, if it wasn't for the fact that Edmonton contains two Epics with extreme range capabilities, Red would be the de-facto biggest threat in the city.  I mean, even Funtimes straight up loses to blowing out all the blood vessels in someone's brain.  And it's not like you can snipe her.  She'll hear your heartbeat, and then kill you instantly.  Heck, Red has a chance of taking down sparking Steelheart!  We don't know if Steelheart is indestructible or just has impenetrable skin, and if the latter is true, he's dead near-instantly.  The only PIs that survive Red are (ironically) probably regeneration and reincarnation, and perhaps time shenanigans and luck, though luck only helps the person not be there!

The only way to kill Red, if she went all-out, killing everyone instantly who comes into her AoE, is remote detonation, or IN HER SLEEP.

Red functionally has a PI. And that PI is killing everyone first.  True, she still needs a tenth of a second to react, due to brain lag, but that's one heck of a quick draw.

The only reason that everyone isn't wrecked if Red goes on a murder spree is Epoch (and Blank too, but to a lesser degree.)

Oh, Epoch.  The other OHKO Epic.  Yet another Epic that could kill (or at least neutralize) Steelheart.  True, he doesn't have a good PI, but that's one heck of an auto-win.  Freezing someone in time, then boxing them up and forgetting about them is actually very effective.  And the kicker is he can do it AT RANGE.  If you have a power, and you want to make it really good, combine it with scrying/gifting.  I mean, Blank is just a light illusionist, a supercharged refractionary, but add in those two powers, and well...  I'll discuss Blank later.

The reason Epoch and Red are not taking over the game is that they are glass cannons.  Both can one-shot pretty much everybody, and with Epoch you can't even run away.  However, Red can be killed anytime she isn't autokilling everyone in range, if you can get her before she can react, or in her sleep, and Epoch is even more fragile, as you are more likely to succeed in one hit.  Red is also kept in check by Epoch, who is in turn kept in check by the fact that he needs an organization to not trigger his weakness.  

Take Blank and Viktor.  Blank, though easily defeated by sound-based verification, is practically impossible to kill!  They could be anyone, and through gifting and scrying, they don't even have to be on-site!  And gifting scrying can help decrease the chance of simply missing something, like Regalia was oft to do.  True, they can't hear sounds, but that's hardly an issue with Viktor around.

Speaking of Viktor.  He's basically the Winter Soldier.  Except he's good at other things too!  He's like a ninja cockroach.

No, hear me out.  Everyone knows that you can't nuke a cockroach, you have to step on it.  Well, Viktor is a cockroach that's really, really good at hiding.  Hence the ninja part.

So, I say that while we don't have the number of medium power Epics accurate (in my opinion), there are definitely some heavy-hitters.  And I didn't even get into MV, Quietus, Impact, Funtimes, Kokichi, Nicroburst, ect!

I'll probably analyze them all later.  Sorry that this isn't formatted very well, but these are my thoughts on some of the Epics who are being underestimated currently.

PS: I am very excited for Jacklyn to actually get in a chance to meet someone face-to-face.  The time distortion, her not knowing Epoch could see her, and the distance prevented her power from really getting its hooks into Epoch, so I am eager for her power to start working on someone's mind.  Depending on the person, that could either be good for them, or really, really bad.

Hehehe.

...Red can only control her own blood, not anyone else’s. Also, she HAS skilled Epics with PIs. Though they all drank her blood first. Because she’s sorta weird like that.

Pokemon? 

Hmmm, I don’t know, but Ko would probably be a ghost/dark and fairy. Red, probably steel or normal. 

11 hours ago, Ookla of the Flame said:

NUKES AND COCKROACHES:

Hehehe.

Then there's Bloodlight...

JK, he's not underrated. We all know he's uselessly OP.

What would be interesting, though, would be to see what would happen if Epoch locked him up in a slow zone. I don't know which clock he would follow. Because if his power is following the outside time and he has just stopped using it on himself, not having used it on any other person, then he would effectively teleport out of the slow zone and back to the place where he started using his powers. Those two hours would fly really fast for him, too, which would be weird. Granted, if Epoch know that, then he could just slow down both locations to be safe.

Of course, Bloodlight VS anyone else but Arachnerd is pretty much a moot point. Unless they're unaccustomed to extreme pain, in which case Bloodlight wins as soon as either hits the other.

EDIT: I know next to nothing about Pokémon, so I couldn't say.

Edited by FeuerBrisingr

6 hours ago, winter devotion said:

...Red can only control her own blood, not anyone else’s. Also, she HAS skilled Epics with PIs. Though they all drank her blood first. Because she’s sorta weird like that.

Pokemon? 

Hmmm, I don’t know, but Ko would probably be a ghost/dark and fairy. Red, probably steel or normal. 

That makes a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, Ookla of the Flame said:

That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, if she could control other people's blood as well, then... 

uh...

Things would be weird.

Literal bloodbaths?

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Literal bloodbaths?

I mean, she does that anyway.