2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Well, if we want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

It's not a percentage or a flat amount. The strength of the effect actually scales quadratically with velocity (like air resistance, kind of). It also scales inversely with the distance from Quietus. So the equation would be something along the lines of this, where K is some constant, v is the speed of the object, and r is the distance from Quietus:

Code_Cogs_Eqn.gif

This is why it takes a relatively long time for his power to incapacitate or kill somebody with hypoxia, despite the fact that his powers stop a moving bullet near instantaneously. The bullet is closer, and it's moving faster, so his powers have much more of an effect.

EDIT: Actually, I checked some numbers, and this model is incorrect. The way I've been writing it, it steals a percentage, so we'll go with that. The equation would be Kv / r.

While I am explaining the specifics, it should also be noted that his secondary power steals kinetic energy, not speed. Meaning the increase in speed he gains is dependent on mass of the object he is stealing from. This is why a moving car several times his own weight grants him much more speed than a moving projectile.

Nerd.

EDIT: How would Nate get his car through Epoch's checkpoint? Would that be hard, or is it suited to cars?

Edited by Sazedezas

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Well, if we want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

It's not a percentage or a flat amount. The strength of the effect actually scales quadratically with velocity (like air resistance, kind of). It also scales inversely with the distance from Quietus. So the equation would be something along the lines of this, where K is some constant, v is the speed of the object, and r is the distance from Quietus:

Code_Cogs_Eqn.gif

This is why it takes a relatively long time for his power to incapacitate or kill somebody with hypoxia, despite the fact that his powers stop a moving bullet near instantaneously. The bullet is closer, and it's moving faster, so his powers have much more of an effect.

EDIT: Actually, I checked some numbers, and this model is incorrect. The way I've been writing it, it steals a percentage, so we'll go with that. The equation would be Kv / r.

While I am explaining the specifics, it should also be noted that his secondary power steals kinetic energy, not speed. Meaning the increase in speed he gains is dependent on mass of the object he is stealing from. This is why a moving car several times his own weight grants him much more speed than a moving projectile.

Assuming that r would be measured from center of gravity or something? Or is it literally impossible for anything to touch him when using his powers?

21 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Nerd.

EDIT: How would Nate get his car through Epoch's checkpoint? Would that be hard, or is it suited to cars?

A side-effect of having a pair of physicists for parents, I guess.

Most of the paths into his territory are already part of fast-lanes, which are all on top of roads anyway. And a fair number of the checkpoints that aren't part of fast-lanes, are still built on top of roads. Because cars are less common, a car might in a few places have to wade slowly through a crowd of pedestrians, but a car could get around.

9 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Assuming that r would be measured from center of gravity or something? Or is it literally impossible for anything to touch him when using his powers?

Yep, r is the center of mass.

Thinking of a consistent equation to describe abilities is kind of tricky, even for one that has fairly specific effects. Still, it's a useful exercise.

I have three versions of a new epic, and I don't know which I want. In order from least powerful to most powerful.

Spoiler

Name: tbd

Epic Name: Maestro

Power: Perpetually has a soundtrack playing related to his mood and actions. Can affect volume.

History: Maestro was a rock singer before Calamity-And not a bad one, either. He was actually pretty good, built up quite a following. But he didn't want to be good. He wanted to be the best. He would constantly obsessively work on his music in an attempt to be the best musician in the world. That goal didn't change when he became an epic. He just became willing to go to further measures to complete it. Since then, he's been going around, killing anybody who was or is a musician.

Personality: He's very arrogant and prideful. He would almost never refuse a challenge.

Weakness: 

Spoiler

Losing a musical competition.

The other versions just have different powers.

Spoiler

Power: Conditional instinctive precognition. If music is playing that he can hear, he basically fights instinctually, similar to atrium, as long as he fights to the song.

Spoiler

Power: Combination of above two. He always has the soundtrack, and if he fights to the music it is basically atium.

I definitely didn't make this with Taylor Swift in mind. Nope. Total coincidence right there.

Yo, I’m in the layover now. As I was on the flight, I came up with another Epic character. One who will almost certainly reach new heights of and then she died. My inspirations for her include such kind and generous characters such as Regent, Cherish, Himiko Toga, the general aesthetic of how Tokyo Ghoul portrays insanity/a specific character from there I can’t describe  because of what forum we’re on, and a few others. Really, she’ll probably earn a noble peace prize or something. Just kidding. 

Spoiler

Name: Sugar (need better name). Was considering Cherry but I don’t wanna be too on the nose about my inspiration. 

Primary Power: Mind control/reading/generally messing with the mind. She can control maples bodies, but she can’t/won’t affect what they’re thinking. It’s more like, she could technically if she could focus/not kill people for long enough to learn, but she wouldn’t and she doesn’t care. She can root through memories, though it’s not very subtle. The only part of the body she can’t control is eyes. She solves this problem in a very sane and logical way, by— who am I kidding she has her victims gouge their own eyes out. There’s no sort of last minute “can’t make someone kill” mind control limit.

passive Power: Doesn’t get sick. Poison won’t work on her. 

Appearance: TBD. Well. Besides LOTS of blood. 

MO: She’s nuts. Like, lots of Epics are but she’s REALLY nuts. She feels like she needs to be loved (obsessively) is obsessed with beauty and sweets. Is prone to a little bit of blood nomming and taking people apart. Or making them bake for her. She hates eyes and people looking at her. She repeats things a lot, redundantly so, to the point where you’ve heard what she says several times over in the same sentence, again and again. She moves around a lot, as she’s pretty physically vulnerable and knows, on some level, not to be too much of a nuisance as to merit being hunted down. Probably will slaughter her way across town for a day or so, roleplay time.

Weakness: Not being able to see any color. 

As you can see, she’s really friendly

edit: oh also major league the line, “I want blood and guts and chocolate cake” from some marina and the diamonds song. Maybe it was Oh No!.  

Edited by winter devotion

16 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Yo, I’m in the layover now. As I was on the flight, I came up with another Epic character. One who will almost certainly reach new heights of and then she died. My inspirations for her include such kind and generous characters such as Regent, Cherish, Himiko Toga, the general aesthetic of how Tokyo Ghoul portrays insanity/a specific character from there I can’t describe  because of what forum we’re on, and a few others. Really, she’ll probably earn a noble peace prize or something. Just kidding. 

Hide contents

Name: Sugar (need better name). Was considering Cherry but I don’t wanna be too on the nose about my inspiration. 

Primary Power: Mind control/reading/generally messing with the mind. She can control maples bodies, but she can’t/won’t affect what they’re thinking. It’s more like, she could technically if she could focus/not kill people for long enough to learn, but she wouldn’t and she doesn’t care. She can root through memories, though it’s not very subtle. The only part of the body she can’t control is eyes. She solves this problem in a very sane and logical way, by— who am I kidding she has her victims gouge their own eyes out. There’s no sort of last minute “can’t make someone kill” mind control limit.

passive Power: Doesn’t get sick. Poison won’t work on her. 

Appearance: TBD. Well. Besides LOTS of blood. 

MO: She’s nuts. Like, lots of Epics are but she’s REALLY nuts. She feels like she needs to be loved (obsessively) is obsessed with beauty and sweets. Is prone to a little bit of blood nomming and taking people apart. Or making them bake for her. She hates eyes and people looking at her. She repeats things a lot, redundantly so, to the point where you’ve heard what she says several times over in the same sentence, again and again. She moves around a lot, as she’s pretty physically vulnerable and knows, on some level, not to be too much of a nuisance as to merit being hunted down. Probably will slaughter her way across town for a day or so, roleplay time.

Weakness: Not being able to see any color. 

As you can see, she’s really friendly

edit: oh also major league the line, “I want blood and guts and chocolate cake” from some marina and the diamonds song. Maybe it was Oh No!.  

Alternate!Simon confirmed?
(Halloween RP for anyone who doesn't get the reference)

EDIT:
Not sure if I'm going to be able to get an Impact post up that's long enough to justify it, it's mostly just going to be a continuation of last post, still just waiting there until she can see again, though now also a bit lightheaded.

28 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Alternate!Simon confirmed?
(Halloween RP for anyone who doesn't get the reference)

EDIT:
Not sure if I'm going to be able to get an Impact post up that's long enough to justify it, it's mostly just going to be a continuation of last post, still just waiting there until she can see again, though now also a bit lightheaded.

I think I was part of that but I don’t remmeber. Another thing to reread.

edit: Was that slaughterhouse intended to be a worm reference or just a shared name for murderers everywhere? 

3 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I think I was part of that but I don’t remmeber. Another thing to reread.

edit: Was that slaughterhouse intended to be a worm reference or just a shared name for murderers everywhere? 

Coincidence I assume

35 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Coincidence I assume

Only so many words with slaughter in them. Laughters, surprisingly, being one of them.

Edit: I am suddenly incredibly glad Nighthound’s healing is automatic. Amy would be terrifying as a full on villain.

56 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Only so many words with slaughter in them. Laughters, surprisingly, being one of them.

Edit: I am suddenly incredibly glad Nighthound’s healing is automatic. Amy would be terrifying as a full on villain.

Amy as in Panacea I assume?

*chuckles evily*

2 hours ago, Kidpen said:

chuckles evily

Hehehe.

Have you guys been reading the comments?  Because in my opinion, the comments are better than the story itself.

I also designed Jacklyn's update with Taylor in mind.

Also, Kidpen, Atium autocorrected to Atrium

EDIT: Just realized someone upvoted my characters.  Mine are liked more than yours Edgedancer! :P

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

57 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Hehehe.

Have you guys been reading the comments?  Because in my opinion, the comments are better than the story itself.

Also, Kidpen, Atium autocorrected to Atrium

I have not. Too convenient to use kindle, which has no comments.

What'd you mean? He's an atrium fighter.

Edited by Kidpen

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

I just realized something: Edmonton is either Metronome's dream come true or his worst nightmare.

Everything is Metronome's dream come true. As the worlds most powerful Epic he makes his dreams reality. :ph34r:

(It occurs to me that this may be confusing for anyone who is unfamiliar with Metronome)

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Everything is Metronome's dream come true. As the worlds most powerful Epic he makes his dreams reality. :ph34r:

(It occurs to me that this may be confusing for anyone who is unfamiliar with Metronome)

pauseJoke!

What would Metronome plus Circuit be? Would he have the ability to control time? Or just be unchanged? 

resumeJoke!

I’m sure Metronome would have no need for Edmonton and the Circuit contained within. After all, he is already the most powerful Epic of all time. 

(I just realized I totally need to write a Kokichi and Metronome meeting scene for WHOOC)

Just now, winter devotion said:

pauseJoke!

What would Metronome plus Circuit be? Would he have the ability to control time? Or just be unchanged? 

resumeJoke!

I’m sure Metronome would have no need for Edmonton and the Circuit contained within. After all, he is already the most powerful Epic of all time. 

(I just realized I totally need to write a Kokichi and Metronome meeting scene for WHOOC)

pauseJoke!
He'd be able to tell what time it was in other parts of the world :P
resumeJoke!
I have no idea how that scene would go but I dearly want to see it.

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

pauseJoke!
He'd be able to tell what time it was in other parts of the world :P
resumeJoke!
I have no idea how that scene would go but I dearly want to see it.

It’d be interesting, that’s for sure. You write Metronome, right? Or am I confused?

also how much did we get inspired by worm this miasma is making me think dream storm and it’s pretty funny.

Just now, winter devotion said:

It’d be interesting, that’s for sure. You write Metronome, right? Or am I confused?

also how much did we get inspired by worm this miasma is making me think dream storm and it’s pretty funny.

I think he's only had one canonical appearance but yes I do. I meant more how Kokichi's powers would interact with him.

9 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I think he's only had one canonical appearance but yes I do. I meant more how Kokichi's powers would interact with him.

seriousTalk! Interestingly. I think it’d all depend on how Kokichi reacted. If they were the only two in the conversation, they’d get along great and Metronome’s perceived power might literally make him grow several stories as he chuckled with a demonic megalomania, with his best friend at his side. 

Just had a new headcanon: In the future, Kokichi's powers get Upgraded/Nicrobursted, affecting not only the whole world but also the past. This creates periodic rushes of transfer students (New arrivals) into the various cities we've RP'd, all somehow coordinating their arrivals for the same time.