Yup!

ALL of my characters are scarier than they seem.

Viktor could make it so you had no fighting prowess at all, and suck at diplomacy, while simultaneously becoming good at those things.  Or worse, he could take away the natural control of powers most Epics have.

Blank is always watching, and you can never trust your senses again.

Nicroburst can kill most Epics, or make most Epics the power level of Obliteration for an instant.

And Jacklyn is, with a little setup,

Spoiler

A higher percentage of the population Armageddon that can AFFECT EPICS!

EDIT: Stiiill got it!

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

I'd say try not to make them too overpowered but that'd be hypocritical of me, given Kokichi's really openended abilities and the upgrades I've given Red for the sake of coolness. 

Anyway, I've finally managed to work them saying yeet into canon. It's awesome. 

41 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I'd say try not to make them too overpowered but that'd be hypocritical of me, given Kokichi's really openended abilities and the upgrades I've given Red for the sake of coolness. 

Anyway, I've finally managed to work them saying yeet into canon. It's awesome. 

I was exaggerating to prove my point.

2 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Seems.. dangerous, but okay.  He is yet ANOTHER Trump-class, but I think he won't be too bad.

Oh, I realized i made another mistake in his powers. His beam doesn't push other Epic powers by itself, i just misremembered that one of the first powers he assimilates is that of Nudge, who can push powers slightly off course. When in a continuous stream like from Mightwielder, that nudge can be a lot more effective than the single blast.

Oh, and I'm sorry for ask the trumps. They're just the most fun to make in limited ways. Even Bloodlight acts as a trump for shapeshifters, who repeatedly return to their starting shape. Which is mostly just a novel use if his power that will probably never see much action.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, Voidus said:

no one wants to use High Epics as cannon fodder

speak for yourself :P

On 9/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, The Young Pyromancer said:

I know, right? Worm is the best I’ve found.

Worm's classifications are fun to play with... But they do have drawbacks.

I believe their assessment of threat of powers is usually accurate, although threat-level and power-level are obviously different.

The main failing of the Worm classification system is that the categories are wierd and often ambiguous:

• Strikers can be parahumans with a melee attack, but it can also be any touch-based power, including crazy open-ended stuff like Panacea's power.
  • Masters can either influence people/animals, or they can create projections. These are honestly two completely different powers with different implications.
  • Strangers are reasonably well-defined, but it's a very fine line between Stranger and certain types of Master.
  • Changers can either be Shifters (identity theft and such, which is kind of Stranger) or beings that can create natural weapons (how is that not a Striker power? no idea).
  • Blasters are actually pretty straightforwards, although the defunct Nuker classification kind of muddies the waters, and should possibly be reintroduced as a cateogory.
  • Shaker is fairly well-defined as a category, but it also encompasses such a massive number of powers that it could basically be anything.
  • Tinkers, Thinkers, Brutes, and Breakers are mostly pretty well-defined. No complaints there.
11 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Also, here is a profile.

Hide contents

Name: Victor Eventide

Epic name: Same, but with a K

Powers: Can slowly drain the skills of people he touches

Apperance: pasty white skin with blood-red lips.

Weakness: steaks.  As in the meat.

So kind of like Victor from E88, then?

Make him work for Karabiner I dare you

5 hours ago, winter devotion said:

upgrades I've given Red for the sake of coolness

Yeah, I had a really terrible idea about that the other day :D I'll get back to you on that

5 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

speak for yourself :P

Worm's classifications are fun to play with... But they do have drawbacks.

I believe their assessment of threat of powers is usually accurate, although threat-level and power-level are obviously different.

The main failing of the Worm classification system is that the categories are wierd and often ambiguous:

• Strikers can be parahumans with a melee attack, but it can also be any touch-based power, including crazy open-ended stuff like Panacea's power.
  • Masters can either influence people/animals, or they can create projections. These are honestly two completely different powers with different implications.
  • Strangers are reasonably well-defined, but it's a very fine line between Stranger and certain types of Master.
  • Changers can either be Shifters (identity theft and such, which is kind of Stranger) or beings that can create natural weapons (how is that not a Striker power? no idea).
  • Blasters are actually pretty straightforwards, although the defunct Nuker classification kind of muddies the waters, and should possibly be reintroduced as a cateogory.
  • Shaker is fairly well-defined as a category, but it also encompasses such a massive number of powers that it could basically be anything.
  • Tinkers, Thinkers, Brutes, and Breakers are mostly pretty well-defined. No complaints there.

Make him work for Karabiner I dare you

Yeah, I had a really terrible idea about that the other day :D I'll get back to you on that

Oooh, what’cha mean by that!?

On 9/14/2018 at 11:02 AM, winter devotion said:

Please share it! I really need a universal metric for superpowers. I have a spreadsheet.

Will need to dig around for it when I have my laptop back but sure. I think I may have posted bits and pieces here previously though.

Broadly speaking it's a 1-5 grading system, 5 being the highest. Split up into range, power and limitations (Specifically Limitations that aren't power or range based but that's a bit long so I just label it as limitations).
I have some general guidelines for various generic powersets but broadly speaking a level of 1 is weaker than what an average human is capable of doing (Or is incredibly situational) 5 is Obliteration level city destruction and beyond. (Given the amount of time he needs to charge his Limitation score would probably bring his average to a 4)

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Will need to dig around for it when I have my laptop back but sure. I think I may have posted bits and pieces here previously though.

Broadly speaking it's a 1-5 grading system, 5 being the highest. Split up into range, power and limitations (Specifically Limitations that aren't power or range based but that's a bit long so I just label it as limitations).
I have some general guidelines for various generic powersets but broadly speaking a level of 1 is weaker than what an average human is capable of doing (Or is incredibly situational) 5 is Obliteration level city destruction and beyond. (Given the amount of time he needs to charge his Limitation score would probably bring his average to a 4)

A metric, then? That makes sense. Does Calamity just not count as they're not really human or would they be a five?

Okay, just a quick question, 'cause this has had confusled me for a long time: What's a meta Epic?

I mean, there's meta (referring to self) and then there's M.E.T.A., for Most Effective Tactic Applicable. How do either of those really apply to Epics? Where is the distinction, who's a good example of a meta Epic, and why are they one?

Edited by Sazedezas

28 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Okay, just a quick question, 'cause this had confusled me for a long time: What's a meta Epic?

I mean, there's meta (referring to self) and then there's M.E.T.A., for Most Effective Tactic Applicable. How do either of those really apply to Epics? Where is the distinction, who's a good example of a meta Epic, and why are they one?

Buckle up, you got me talking about quirks (powers) so this might be a bit long cuz I'm sorta a nerd about this. 

Meta Epics, as in their powers relate to the quirks themselves. You can find them in a lot of series where quirks come from a singular source, though it's difficult if you have a collection of aliens, magic users, and experimental super soldiers. The Circuit are all meta Epics, because they're enhancers. Enhancers have two varieties. The first removes or decreases the limits, although this can sometimes have a dangerous backlash if the wielder isn't used to the stronger abilities or if it only enhances their ability to use the power and not their invulnerability to it. For example, a pyrokinetic usually has passive resistance to their own flames, but the enhancer might only target the active quirk, leaving them with horrible burns as they surpass their temperature limit. This is how Nicroburst kills. The other kind takes the entire power and gives it a boost while staying within the limits. For example, this variety of enhancer could make Red's blood stronger, but they couldn't let her affect other people's blood and wouldn't touch her range.  

I don't think we have any erasers/cancellers, outside of the side effects of Nicroburst, but they're the type to temporarily block access to abilities. See Eraserhead's explanation of his quirk in Chapter 135 of My Hero Academia for a good explanation for how this sort of ability works. They tend to not work as efficiently if at all on passive quirks (powers), as they only temporarily interfere with the mechanism allowing access to the abilities. Most heroic examples of this don't hurt the victim, though there's a subset of villains or anti-heroes who can make the process painful. Nichelle from the kinda eh-ly written Michel Vey series uses her quirk as a way of causing pain, but she's not quite a canceller as much as an absorber. She takes electricity into herself, but lacking any mechanism of redirecting it, simply allows it to disperse. This gives her a weakness, though, as her powers depend on the victim resisting. If they actively try to overload her by freely giving up the electricity, she's the one in pain. The absorber type is reminiscent of an assumer, as Larcener's inability to take Megan's quirk indicates. 

There are assumers, who take powers permanently. Sometimes they can also give abilities, like All For One from My Hero Academia or Larcener. Copier types, such as Monoma from My Hero Academia, are more similar to cancellers than an assumer, as they don't actually touch the core ability, merely replicating its affects. Borrowers are somewhere in between, preventing the user's access to the original quirk but only temporarily. 

Anyway, you only needed the first sentence, didn't you. Hah. Hah. Hah. 

16 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Buckle up, you got me talking about quirks (powers) so this might be a bit long cuz I'm sorta a nerd about this. 

Meta Epics, as in their powers relate to the quirks themselves. You can find them in a lot of series where quirks come from a singular source, though it's difficult if you have a collection of aliens, magic users, and experimental super soldiers. The Circuit are all meta Epics, because they're enhancers. Enhancers have two varieties. The first removes or decreases the limits, although this can sometimes have a dangerous backlash if the wielder isn't used to the stronger abilities or if it only enhances their ability to use the power and not their invulnerability to it. For example, a pyrokinetic usually has passive resistance to their own flames, but the enhancer might only target the active quirk, leaving them with horrible burns as they surpass their temperature limit. This is how Nicroburst kills. The other kind takes the entire power and gives it a boost while staying within the limits. For example, this variety of enhancer could make Red's blood stronger, but they couldn't let her affect other people's blood and wouldn't touch her range.  

I don't think we have any erasers/cancellers, outside of the side effects of Nicroburst, but they're the type to temporarily block access to abilities. See Eraserhead's explanation of his quirk in Chapter 135 of My Hero Academia for a good explanation for how this sort of ability works. They tend to not work as efficiently if at all on passive quirks (powers), as they only temporarily interfere with the mechanism allowing access to the abilities. Most heroic examples of this don't hurt the victim, though there's a subset of villains or anti-heroes who can make the process painful. Nichelle from the kinda eh-ly written Michel Vey series uses her quirk as a way of causing pain, but she's not quite a canceller as much as an absorber. She takes electricity into herself, but lacking any mechanism of redirecting it, simply allows it to disperse. This gives her a weakness, though, as her powers depend on the victim resisting. If they actively try to overload her by freely giving up the electricity, she's the one in pain. The absorber type is reminiscent of an assumer, as Larcener's inability to take Megan's quirk indicates. 

There are assumers, who take powers permanently. Sometimes they can also give abilities, like All For One from My Hero Academia or Larcener. Copier types, such as Monoma from My Hero Academia, are more similar to cancellers than an assumer, as they don't actually touch the core ability, merely replicating its affects. Borrowers are somewhere in between, preventing the user's access to the original quirk but only temporarily. 

Anyway, you only needed the first sentence, didn't you. Hah. Hah. Hah. 

That makes sense, I guess. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

That was the idea.

I would have if you didn’t cross out that sentence.  Now he will join blank, as he only has like 5 people working for him right now because he is just so scawy.  Hence the visitors welcome sign he just added.

Also, I just realized that illusionists would be really good at triggering epochs weakness.  I’d say blank would kill him because of that if it wasn’t for pariah and who no what else he has trapped.

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

55 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

That was the idea.

I would have if you didn’t cross out that sentence.  Now he will join blank, as he only has like 5 people working for him right now because he is just so scawy.  Hence the visitors welcome sign he just added.

Also, I just realized that illusionists would be really good at triggering epochs weakness.  I’d say blank would kill him because of that if it wasn’t for pariah and who no what else he has trapped.

Weaknesses work based on what actually exists, not what a character believes, unless the weakness is the particular state of mind being alone induces. 

Also, I'm totally embarased I forgot a type of enhancer. The passive enhancer --they can also be a dampener (decreases powers without completely erasing them). Any Epic in the area around them gets a buff or debuff. Sometimes they can focus it.