The Grumpy Elantrian

So how much would a small metalmind, say a ring or an earring, actually be able to store? 

Sazed's rings in WoA which he prepares for the Battle of Luthadel had about ten minutes of charge in each, but it is implied that the reason for this is because he only had a short time to fill them. So presumably, they could have stored more. Since they are small I wouldn't imagine that they could store very much, but maybe an hour or so of charge could fit in something like a ring. An earring maybe less, more like half an hour perhaps?

If anyone actually knows I would appreciate your input, either way I welcome discussion. 

Well the Lord ruler was able to store at least 3 days worth of Youth in the Atiumminds on him and he was tapping like 50000% pretty consistently. Given that an average requirement would be maybe 1000% I'd say you could store several hours worth in either.

Here's the most on-point WoB I could find. There is a relationship between volume and the amount of charge that can be stored but it's not a direct scaling.

Questioner

I was wondering if the size of a piece of metal determines the amount of Feruchemical charge that can be stored in it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

So how does that scale, like, in terms of the volume or mass of the metal or...

Brandon Sanderson

It-- So I've talked about this before, I'm trying to remember exactly what I've told people-- It does not scale as logically as you think it does. How about that? It's more like certain thresholds. You can have a-- You can store a Hemalurgic or Feruchemical charge even in very small pieces of metal, but larger pieces of metal will let you get more.

Questioner

So it's kind of like there are different classes of sizes?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, kind of like that.

source

• 3 weeks later...

I think part of it is how skilled and efficient someone is at storing a trait and how well made the metalmind is. The Bands was just a spearhead made of multiple metals (so each metal encompassed an even smaller size than the spearhead) but held a positively ludicrous amount of each trait.

Maybe the size classes mean that metalminds store more in almost discrete steps, kind of like electron cloud sizes?

So it'd be more efficient, per unit of volume, to wear a bead-bracer-bracelet than a solid bracer? I wonder if you'd have to insulate the beads from each other to prevent them from contact and thus becoming part of a larger metalmind, but not one in the next size class.

And, secondly, do we know if size classes get more efficient or less efficient per unit of volume as the metalmind gets bigger? I was assuming less efficient in the previous paragraph, but now I'm not so sure.

• Chaos locked this topic