Would there be any negative effects to a feruchemist having their metalminds inside their body for certain metals? This includes earings and piercings.

Gold metalminds would have little issue as gold is largely inert (partly why it is popular in jewelry), however, having any other metal, especially copper, in your body would likely not be comfortable and become infected, whether it is in the form of an earing, or somehow an implant like The Lord Rulers bands of mourning or (temporarily) the rings in Sazed's abdomen. 

Does their nature as a metalmind remove the risk of infection or expulsion from the body? If not then why aren't feruchemists going around with infected piercings? An oversight by Brandon perhaps?

Been a while since I was at uni but AFAIK a metal isn't inherently more likely to cause infection than anything else. Allergic reaction or metal toxicity perhaps but not a regular infection. Especially for things like piercings where they're not in an open wound.

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Been a while since I was at uni but AFAIK a metal isn't inherently more likely to cause infection than anything else. Allergic reaction or metal toxicity perhaps but not a regular infection. Especially for things like piercings where they're not in an open wound.

Perhaps, but even with regular earings infections can be quite common. And on top of that, the main reason we can't use metals like iron or steel for implants is because the body will naturally oppose and try to remove the metal from the body (therefore the use of titanium). So why then wouldn't this issue translate to internal metal minds for feruchemists. 

Actually, the continued contact of metal with skin may very well cause irritation, perticularly once sweat gets involved, even on external metalminds.

An easy solution is that the investiture stored in a piece of metal making it a metalmind alters it's effects on the human body. 

Any ideas?

Just now, Mistborn Radiant said:

Perhaps, but even with regular earings infections can be quite common. And on top of that, the main reason we can't use metals like iron or steel for implants is because the body will naturally oppose and try to remove the metal from the body (therefore the use of titanium). So why then wouldn't this issue translate to internal metal minds for feruchemists. 

Actually, the continued contact of metal with skin may very well cause irritation, perticularly once sweat gets involved, even on external metalminds.

An easy solution is that the investiture stored in a piece of metal making it a metalmind alters it's effects on the human body. 

Any ideas?

I'd say it would be very unlikely for that to occur for a metalmind. A metalmind is a store of Investiture but as far as we know that gives it no other special traits, particularly not when it's only invested to the degree that the average Keeper could manage.
Something like the Bands of Mourning might have some secondary effects, but unless it was a Hemalurgic spike I'd say it's unlikely for that to happen with Feruchemy. Just like Allomancers can't just leave metal in their stomach without burning it unless they want to get sick, the metal itself doesn't have any special protections around it.

So yeah, Keepers have probably had to deal with some minor infections from their piercings from time to time. But they do also have the ability to heal themselves so maybe not as big an issue for them.

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

I'd say it would be very unlikely for that to occur for a metalmind. A metalmind is a store of Investiture but as far as we know that gives it no other special traits, particularly not when it's only invested to the degree that the average Keeper could manage.
Something like the Bands of Mourning might have some secondary effects, but unless it was a Hemalurgic spike I'd say it's unlikely for that to happen with Feruchemy. Just like Allomancers can't just leave metal in their stomach without burning it unless they want to get sick, the metal itself doesn't have any special protections around it.

So yeah, Keepers have probably had to deal with some minor infections from their piercings from time to time. But they do also have the ability to heal themselves so maybe not as big an issue for them.

Yeah, I imagine they would just tap gold to deal with it, however I have on several occasions entertained the idea of implanted metalminds to prevent it being affected by allomancy. Perhaps a gold plated implant (so as to not react with the body) and then having an end exposed to the skin to allow for tapping of the metalmind?

• Chaos locked this topic