How exactly did Rashek become as powerful as he did? Yes, his feruchemy was enhanced via compounding but that doesn't explain his immense strength as a mistborn. Nor was the fact that he became mistborn from lerasium because even Elend wasn't as strong as he. 

Was his power a result of a strong connection to preservation after ascending? If that's the case then why wasn't Vin uber strong after ascension?

Or was he simply a savant in all metals, using feruchemy to heal the negative effects of his savantism?

I welcome your input. 

I think when he held Preservations power, he used it to to make himself a powerful mistborn. Vin wouldn't get the upgrade because she didn't use the power at the Well. Also he's also probably a savant in every metal like you suggested, but I dont think Feruchemy would heal the negative effects. I think, like Spook with his tin and pewter, the effects would mostly cancel each other out.

Brandon has implied that there is a way to use compounding in reverse to grant yourself increased Allomancy.

Chaos (paraphrased)

I continued to ask about the Lord Ruler and his Allomantic strength.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There's an upper bound to the amount of power you can get from being a savant. Brandon said that, obviously, the Lord Ruler wasn't using duralumin and Elend could only get that powerful in Soothing using duralumin. He implied that there was a way to Compound to enhance Allomancy.

source

dyring

A Coinshot able to store weight can, as you showed us with Wax Push in a ridiculously powerful manner, as the weight/mass is the largest factor which controls the Push strength.

I'm wondering if the same can be done with soothing(or rioting). If you where to increase your identity, that may/should increase your emotional imprint(or whatever you might call it), would your soothings/riotings become vastly more powerful in a similar way as weight makes steelpushing more powerful?

And if it does, is this how the Lord Ruler improved his Soothing in such a spectacular fashion?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, the Lord Ruler--don't forget--could compound any Allomancy he wanted. That creates some crazy effects. As for what you discuss in your first question, I don't want to touch too much on Identity yet as I am saving it for later books. Talking too much here might undermine my ability to reveal interesting and cool things in books when the time is right. I like your theory, and it has merit, but I'm not going to give you a yes or a no as it delves too much into what Identity, as an attribute, can do.

source

And it definitely seems like Nicrosil is capable of doing this, storing your ability to burn metals in it and then tapping it in large quantities makes you more powerful Allomantically.

Yup. Feruchemical Nicrosil can pretty much store any Investiture, including Allomancy, so when you compound it and compound it and compound and it and then finally release it, you can upwards of unlimited power Allomantically, in the same way you can get almost unlimited Feruchemical power from regular compounding. In a way, instead of there being a separate metal you can compound to get a bigger allomantic effect (like you can feruchemically), Nicrosil covers all of that, so it's more about what you store in it.

On a side note, this means any form of Investiture (eg. Stormlight, Breaths) could be recreated infinitely this way, which is crazy. Thank the God Beyond TLR didn't have any Cosmere ruling ambitions, because could have totally done that.

5 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Yup. Feruchemical Nicrosil can pretty much store any Investiture, including Allomancy, so when you compound it and compound it and compound and it and then finally release it, you can upwards of unlimited power Allomantically, in the same way you can get almost unlimited Feruchemical power from regular compounding. In a way, instead of there being a separate metal you can compound to get a bigger allomantic effect (like you can feruchemically), Nicrosil covers all of that, so it's more about what you store in it.

On a side note, this means any form of Investiture (eg. Stormlight, Breaths) could be recreated infinitely this way, which is crazy. Thank the God Beyond TLR didn't have any Cosmere ruling ambitions, because could have totally done that.

So Rashek is pretty much the most powerful being Brandon has created then. 

12 minutes ago, Mistborn Radiant said:

So Rashek is pretty much the most powerful being Brandon has created then. 

Well that's pretty much Fullborn in general. But Rashek also built himself to be as strong as anyone possibly can  be with Allomancy while he held the well. 

Chris King

Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super Allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well's power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original Allomancers that Sazed mentions?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. He did not use the bead. He-- In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.

source

Wait a minute...

So if Harmony wanted too, he could give some minions Fullborn powers of extreme strength, then teach them Hemalurgy. He could then send them to spike powers from people on different planets, compound their power infinitely, then take out the spike and compound gold to fix their souls. He then could have an army of immortal invincible beings of infinite power with the magic of every world they come across.

Holy chull, its a good thing Sazed is peaceful

8 minutes ago, The Gecko said:

Wait a minute...

So if Harmony wanted too, he could give some minions Fullborn powers of extreme strength, then teach them Hemalurgy. He could then send them to spike powers from people on different planets, compound their power infinitely, then take out the spike and compound gold to fix their souls. He then could have an army of immortal invincible beings of infinite power with the magic of every world they come across.

Whilst that is insanely cool, is gold feruchemy actually capable of healing the soul? Whether it's compounded or not I was under the impression that it heals physically. 

16 minutes ago, Mistborn Radiant said:

Whilst that is insanely cool, is gold feruchemy actually capable of healing the soul? Whether it's compounded or not I was under the impression that it heals physically. 

It does. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If a Shardblade was put through Wayne's eye, would he able to use his ability to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he should be able to heal that.

source

Kurkistan

If you spiked out Miles' Feruchemical gold, would he be able to burn his Allomantic reserves [read: Feruchemical reserves using Allomancy] and heal it back?

Brandon Sanderson

If you spiked out his ability to heal gold and somehow left him alive?

Kurkistan

Yeah, but still having Allomancy.

Brandon Sanderson

Still has Allomancy...

Kurkistan

And he’s like in the middle of burning a goldmind.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that would still work. It'd still have a Spiritual Connection to him.

Kurkistan

So if you're a Coinshot and you get [spiked] to have Feruchemical steel, and then you lose the spike after making a store, you can still Compound that for speed?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... Yeah, that should still work.

Kurkistan

Was Paalm doing that?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

source

On 8/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, The Gecko said:

Wait a minute...

Yes. Be glad the vessel of Ruin and Preservation is basically just promoting Scadrial tourism and trying to build a version their own NASA lol

On 8/12/2018 at 1:22 AM, The Gecko said:

Wait a minute...

I bet metal would be a pretty hard limiting factor in the Harmony Cosmere Invasion Movement - you'd need a ton of atium spikes, unless there's another metal that can steal any attribute

On 8/11/2018 at 11:22 PM, The Gecko said:

Well, there are some limitations. You can store spike-granted powers in unsealed metalminds and allow anyone to use them (with whatever hacks may be required to work with non-native Investiture) and do crazy things with nicrosil compounding but the powers go with the spikes so when you take them out, they'd need the medallions to use any powers that aren't naturally part of their spiritweb. And there's limitations on the current understanding of the Southern Scadrians vis a vis how many powers you can use at once without the medallions interfering with one another. I imagine it would be even worse once you start mixing other Shards' Investiture.

2 hours ago, tmnsquirtle said:

I bet metal would be a pretty hard limiting factor in the Harmony Cosmere Invasion Movement - you'd need a ton of atium spikes, unless there's another metal that can steal any attribute

Atium is more efficient and due to its universal nature it makes for easier spiking but it's not required; with the right knowledge you could use other metals to steal things. Also, with Trellium seeming to be a universal metal as well, it's possible that all godmetals share this property.

19 hours ago, Weltall said:

Atium is more efficient and due to its universal nature it makes for easier spiking but it's not required; with the right knowledge you could use other metals to steal things. Also, with Trellium seeming to be a universal metal as well, it's possible that all godmetals share this property.

Even if this is true, I bet that the total amount steel in the cosmere will outnumber the total amount of all the godmetals, combined, pretty much forever. The point isn't that they have to use atium, it's that they are probably going to run out of spikes (unless they keep the whole thing restricted to a relatively small group of super-soldiers)

On 8/15/2018 at 11:49 AM, Weltall said:

Well, there are some limitations. You can store spike-granted powers in unsealed metalminds and allow anyone to use them (with whatever hacks may be required to work with non-native Investiture) and do crazy things with nicrosil compounding but the powers go with the spikes so when you take them out, they'd need the medallions to use any powers that aren't naturally part of their spiritweb. And there's limitations on the current understanding of the Southern Scadrians vis a vis how many powers you can use at once without the medallions interfering with one another. I imagine it would be even worse once you start mixing other Shards' Investiture.

For some of this, I respectfully disagree. Particularly about the spikes and nicrosil. First, remember that these are Fullborn, so they can compound every metal. Then, remember that nicrosil stores the ability to use powers. After storing your ability to use for example, stormlight, whether its gotten from spikes or honorblades or spren, you can then lose the ability to use stormlight by removing spikes or dropping the honorblade, and then tap your nicrosilmind to use that stormlight again later, without needing that other method. That is why the medallions work. Next, because the nicrosilmind belongs to that particular Fullborn, they don't need unkeyed ones to use it, and personally, I think they could use more at a time than the medallions can currently handle. Simply because they belong to them. Even if they couldn't though, that's still 3-5 extra powers (I believe that's the most the medallions work for). Regardless, they only need to be able to use whichever power they want for long enough to get enough of a store to compound, at which point they can use it indefinitely, or at least till they goof up their compounding and lose it. Also remember that gold healing, which they can compound, can heal spiritual wounds, so it can recover anything a spike could do to them. If they wanted, they could even spike powers out of themselves, give it to someone, then fix themselves with compounding, and then that person could even access their metalminds(per WoB) to share those extra powers. A little playing with spikes, and they could probably create a completely new, spikeless, Fullborn with all the powers they collected. (I have to think about this a bit more)

If you look at my 'keepers on ashyn' thread, I talk about how powerful keepers would be there, and Fullborn put them to shame. They could even infinitely sell medallions on Nalthis in exchange for breath, or gain stormlight, or aviar powers, or anything from ashyn. They could  basically harvest and integrate any powers they want by spiking it in, collecting and compounding, then removing and healing. Hoid has been running around collecting magics, but Fullborn who aren't afraid of Hemalurgy could do it so much better and faster, all through the form of Feruchemy.

I'm sorry for rambling, but if you can't tell, I'm a big fan of Fullborn and their potential. If they so chose, I think they could conquer the Cosmere, as super inquisitors that aren't reliant on spikes, that can steal  whatever magic they come across. OP indeed, and the fact that harmony has the two shards that make it work, in my opinion, easily makes him the most powerful being currently in existence. I hope this isn't too rambly...

AThe limiting factor in the spiking scenario is going to be knowledge. Currently the only being in the Cosmere who knows where all the bindpoints are is Sazed. The next most knowledgeable is Trell/Badvadin and she may not know everything about which bindpoints do what. A Vessel with infinite time and a bunch of experimental subjects could probably figure out enough of hemalurgy to make a few waves but I can't see any mortal being able to accomplish much without Shardic intervention.

• Chaos locked this topic