I finished Mistborn and I am officially depressed.

rioter10098

How the hell are y'all breathing after the Mistborn trilogy? It's been years since I first read it and it still hurts to think about it. Since then, I've only read Elantris and Warbreaker. What is the best cure for post Mistborn depression? Reading Mistborn Era 2? Can any of the characters even hold a candle to Kelsier? Asking because I am seriously concerned for my own mental health.  Sanderson should publish a self help book for after you're done with Mistborn? Is that book Secret History, by any chance?

Edited by rioter10098

What parts specifically depressed you? If it's Kelsier specifically... Then read SH. 

If it's Vin and Elend... Well yeah read SH. 

You know what. Just read secret history. 

I mean, if your just sad because some of the characters died... That's not going to change, but know that at least in some of their cases, going beyond was their own choice and it meant peace to them. 

They got the rest they deserved so much. I personally, think that the ending was perfect, and that in most cases, everyone got a happy ending in one way or another. 

The only person I feel bad for in it all is Marsh. 

And I'm really looking forward to what he will do. And how he will change over the years, what kind of "man" he will become.

I like him a lot. For me he was one of the most tragical characters of Era 1.

@rioter10098

You really should read Secret History. It offers a great view behind the scenes.

8 hours ago, rioter10098 said:

How the hell are y'all breathing after the Mistborn trilogy? It's been years since I first read it and it still hurts to think about it. Since then, I've only read Elantris and Warbreaker. What is the best cure for post Mistborn depression? Reading Mistborn Era 2? Can any of the characters even hold a candle to Kelsier? Asking because I am seriously concerned for my own mental health.  Sanderson should publish a self help book for after you're done with Mistborn? Is that book Secret History, by any chance?

If you get to sad about all the horrible things that happend. Just remind yourself that Sazed is in control now. His won't be altered to ruin or Preservation because he's got both. And if there is one person in The final Empire with enough intelligence empathy and a good heart to hold the powers it is him.

The hero of ages will be there for all ages to come.

(i hope)

On 8/12/2018 at 6:21 AM, rioter10098 said:

How the hell are y'all breathing after the Mistborn trilogy?

Who said we are still breathing ? 

What is the best cure for post Mistborn depression? Reading Mistborn Era 2?

Either you read more Mistborn content(era 2 and secret history) and maybe explore more cosmere. OR you could also read other works of fantasy like wheel of time, malazan or other popular stuff. 

Can any of the characters even hold a candle to Kelsier? Asking because I am seriously concerned for my own mental health.  Sanderson should publish a self help book for after you're done with Mistborn? Is that book Secret History, by any chance?

Kelsier is a explosive character but he has a match on other Sanderson series like Dalinar or Kaladin from Stormlight Archives. 

The thing about era 2 mistborn is that while it's an a direct sequel to Mistborn Trilogy it does not follow the same pattern as Era 1. Which means you basically have a completely different style and tone of Mistborn despite being set in the Mistborn world.

So it's not as dark, it's much more personal, it's actually more like "a band of misfits solving problems" more than Era 1 ever have been, the scope is not big(meaning it's more man conflict than world-ending rust that we experienced in era1). It doesn't mean it's not better or worse than Mistborn Trilogy it just has a different style.

I'd say that writing quality wise Era 2 is better but it does have a oddly mediocre start and that completion wise era 1 is better(all those little things adding up to the end).

Besides it explores how the Hero of Ages handles things compared to Leras or Ati.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, rioter10098 said:

Can any of the characters even hold a candle to Kelsier? 

Can they?  Wayne from Era 2.  Definitely.

I actually prefer Era 2 to Era 1.    Though it might be that, as a Californian, a red sun and ash-filled skies are a little too realistic for me. :-)

14 hours ago, MrsMolly said:

Can they?  Wayne from Era 2.  Definitely.

I actually prefer Era 2 to Era 1.    Though it might be that, as a Californian, a red sun and ash-filled skies are a little too realistic for me. :-)

I think that Era 2 feels a lot more innovative, world-wise, after you've been immersed in the cosmere. Mistborn as a starting book is absolutely without match, but once you've seen the depth and breadth of what Sanderson can do, it's a lot more interesting to hear about characters combining magic systems (Wax, Wayne, Paalm, Miles...) than it is to see epic moments involving allomancy alone. 

• Chaos locked this topic