A pattern...

Ripheus23

When I started working at a junior college in my area, back in September 2005, the show Supernatural started, and I got this romantic connotation in my head on account of the character of Dean Winchester. Like, whenever I was extra-down on my luck with the lads (always outta luck on that score, I might actually say...), so to say, I would think of Dean for some kind of abstract comfort. Besides the eye-candy aspect of the situation, I wasn't sure why this image stuck with me so strongly. It's not that the character is an example of my "ideal guy," either, ethically/personally/w/e. Not even sans-cigar close.

So anyway, I really like the show Lost and bonded with an LDS missionary, one of the first two I ever met, over our mutual admiration of the program, but try as he might he never managed to convince me to join the LDS church. Instead, I became fixed on this idea that, "I have to be friends with that church," like on the outside of the outskirts, looking in, defending them on message boards or random discussions in my everyday life or wherever.

After Lost ended, the only show I wanted to keep watching was Supernatural (I've Netflixed some entire other series since 2010, but I'm talking the passion of waiting for new episodes and new seasons: I wasn't willing to devote that to anything else besides the adventures of Dean and Co.). Now, I couldn't figure out why it was so important for me to be affiliated with the Mormon movement, without joining, like this intuition was totally random until I read The Hero of Ages.

Several months beforehand, I had convinced myself that the demon-angel of destruction in the Bible, Apollyon, is somehow sort of a real being. The word "Apollyon" means "the Destroyer" and goes with "Abaddon" for "Destruction," so... Ruin... So I also had this idea that Apollyon was listening to things people say out loud and corrupting the Earth's scriptures, and that the plan to stop this being was connected to the numbers from Lost (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42). (Italicized number = you know what, bold number = the one I thought was being left as a "signal," by the Holy Spirit, to guide people who were supposed to be champions in the conflict with Destruction.) I had never read any of Sanderson's work and had no plan to at the time. It was only because I lost my job because I freaked out about this Apollyon story in my head, that I was going to the library (the books there are free to read, so with no income, it was the place for me to be), and happened upon The Final Empire, a few months after I lost my job, and it was only because The Hero of Ages was the one being sold closest to where I lived (in the paperback section of the grocery store I went to) that I got that book instead of The Well of Ascension (I had recently started work again and was dying to know what happened after the first Mistborn book, which was the only one at the local library (I could've done interlibrary loan but was being superimpatient, without realizing what I was about to read)).

As of today, and as of many todays over many of the last ten years, I have come to believe that this coincidence of stories is not accidental, that Sanderson deduced this problem of personified destruction and its role in human history, and then re-encoded it in one of his narratives. I am supersure that something like this at least might be true, because of another coincidence.

In 2015 I was walking around and a creepy man singing about angels and demons was lurking in the park where I was, and while this scenario unfolded another, totally-not-creepy young man approached us, and talked with me for like an hour or so, then went his way, and I didn't learn his name then, but thought, "Wouldn't it be weird if his name turned out to be 'Dean'?" (The alternative weird-coincidence-option was, "Jason," for tl;dr reasons ;) so yeah...) So I took a copy of The Way of Kings later, back to the park where I met the stranger-from-Utah (I could tell from his accent that he came from that state, on account of when I hung out with LDS missionaries from that place and picked up on the accent), and notes about the Apollyon story, and left them for the mysterious fellow there, and eventually he showed up again and said he'd gotten the notes, and he was a (lapsed) Mormon, too, and when he was heading home again I looked at him and said, "My name's 'Kristian,' by the way."

He shook my hand. "I'm Dean," he said.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE SUPERNATURAL!

messes with people at work when i can name stuff super fast. Like today, all i saw was a dead body and a hand holding a lolipop. Told the dude i was with the season, episode, what was happening and who the "Monster" was just off that screenshot. 

Sam should of remained in the pit with Michael and Lucifer. I really liked the series until that point and it would of been a great ending. I heard later on that they got a new director after that point and I can believe it...the show always felt a bit off after that point even though I still gave it another couple of seasons to really give it a shot. Apologies if it derailed the thread; I just wanted to get that off my chest.

• 1 month later...