Alloy of Law Chapter 6

Adrienne

“Sixteen, I think,” Wayne said distractedly. “Haven’t been counting carefully.”
Typo, should be Wax.

So, the leader of the Vanishers is a former lawman acquantice of theirs. We still don't know the exact source of his bitterness though.

“Ashamed?” the bandit leader said as his minions patted down Peterus and pulled a pistol—Granger model 28, optional thick grip—out of his shoulder holster. “Ashamed? To rob these? After what you people have done to the Roughs all these years? This isn’t shameful. This here, this is payback.”

from Chapter Five.

It was good chapter, but I still would have preferred a rescue of Steris to Marasi. We got yet more references that regardless of whether Wax is interested in Marasi, Wayne certainly is.

“Wow,” Wayne said, stepping up to him. “I’m liking her more and more. Definitely the one of the two I’d pick if I were you.”

Marasi is almost too similar to Lessie, I can't help but think Steris would be a more interesting love interest.

“She is an impulsive young woman half my age,” Waxillium said. An apparently brilliant, beautiful, intriguing young woman who also happens to be an excellent shot. Once, that combination would have left him completely smitten. Now, he barely gave it a passing thought.

That was amazing. I hope we get a viewpoint from Wayne at some point while he's fighting; it would be interesting to read what he's doing from him, not just an explanation from Wax. And the number of tricks Wax used with only two powers was remarkable. Interesting that adding weight allows you the strength to not crush yourself; I suppose that, as weight is just force, it makes your muscles push with more force too. In close combat, that could be as useful as feruchemical pewter; you could hit someone with an unnaturally heavy, unnaturally strong punch.

I noticed that Harms anagrams to Marsh. It probably means nothing, but it's an interesting coincidence.

(That fact that Tarson anagrams to OnStar I trust to be completely insignificant.)

I wonder...

Miles wouldn’t have fallen to a mere bullet. He was a Twinborn of a particularly dangerous variety.

What would be particularly dangerous, compared to Wax? My first thought is double-pewter; he could burn pewter and store it at the same time (making for no real loss in strength). Then he could burn your feruchemically-charged pewter like we believe TLR did with atium and get a massive strength boost. He'd be practically invincible.

Wayne's lucky hat would appear to be simply an absurdity. Which means that it likely isn't. Extra metal stores (gold or bendalloy) or aluminum shielding, perhaps?

Wayne's lucky hat would appear to be simply an absurdity. Which means that it likely isn't. Extra metal stores (gold or bendalloy) or aluminum shielding, perhaps?

Red herring, like TLR's map in HoA.

I can imagine Brandon reading our theorie ("Wayne's Hat Made Of Lerasum!", "Louse Living in Hat Are Actually Kandra") and chuckling evilly.

Is it just me, or were there more typos in this chapter than usual? Cheese Ninja already referenced one.

Then he whipped around, placing himself behind Maraci, whom he gripped by the neck with one hand, holding the gun steady against her head with the other.

Should be Marasi.

Outlaws and lawmen alike were accustomed to metalborn; if the bubble had stayed up, the bandit would have quickly shot Wayne in the head.

So, is it metalborn or is it Metalborn? On the broadsheet, it was Metalborn.

I would think capitalizing it would be more consistent with magic users--Mistborn, Misting, Feruchemist, Allomancer, etc.

“You still broke bones with your Allomantic stunt,” the constablegeneral said.

Should be constable-general.

“No,” Harms said, waving her down. “No. Just let me . . . just let

me go and sit by myself. I won’t leave without you, but please give me some time alone.” He walked away, leaving Marasi standing with her hands clasped.

Probably a formatting error for Tor.com, but it should be one paragraph.

Other than typos, this was an awesome chapter. More mysteries about koloss-blood, and whatever the crap is going on with Miles.

Also, come on. Marasi is way cooler than Steris :P

As mentioned by Musicspren I'm also curious about Miles . . .

What combos could be so potent as to be able to dismiss being shot in the head?

We know that pewter makes you tougher, maybe pewter/pewter would give you bullet resistant skin? I don't think it'd be gold/gold for super health. If you got shot in the head and killed before you could burn the metalmind it wouldn't be of much use. Even if you were burning the gold, would you still be able to keep burning with a bullet in the brain?

I think that it'd either be pewter/pewter for bullet resistant flesh, or maybe a pewter/steel for super speed and dexterity.

Pewter/gold maybe? A pewterarm with gold healing might be able to survive a gunshot to the head.

I'm excited to see all the different names for the Ferings (right? That was in the Q&A earlier). We already saw one - Bloodmaker - for a Gold Fering. I'm wondering what someone who could use Feruchemical Pewter would be called. A Strongarm, maybe? I don't know. I'm all twitchy in anticipation.

A Koloss Allomancer. *shudder*

Wax thought he might be a pewterarm, but I'm not so sure. If he could burn pewter and is part Koloss he'd be able to simply toss Marasi over a shoulder and leave. Instead he was dragging her, trying to get her to cooperate with a gun to the head.

As mentioned by Musicspren I'm also curious about Miles . . .

What combos could be so potent as to be able to dismiss being shot in the head?

We know that pewter makes you tougher, maybe pewter/pewter would give you bullet resistant skin? I don't think it'd be gold/gold for super health. If you got shot in the head and killed before you could burn the metalmind it wouldn't be of much use. Even if you were burning the gold, would you still be able to keep burning with a bullet in the brain?

I think that it'd either be pewter/pewter for bullet resistant flesh, or maybe a pewter/steel for super speed and dexterity.

Pewter/gold maybe? A pewterarm with gold healing might be able to survive a gunshot to the head.

Pewter and Gold is the only combination I can think of that could take a headshot. But, since Wax was sure that Wayne would be fine as long as he wasn't shot in the head. It might be that Bloodmakers (Gold Feruchemists) have to consciously tap their gold to heal. When the Lord Ruler was nearly decapitated he was proably still aware enough to heal himself.

There are still seven metals that we don't know the Feruchemical power for: Cadmium, Bendalloy, Electrum, Chromium, Nicrosil,Aluminum, and Duralumin. It's possible that one of those metals allows for some bullet-to-the-head stopping power.

I'm wondering what someone who could use Feruchemical Pewter would be called. A Strongarm, maybe? I don't know. I'm all twitchy in anticipation.

I sort of assumed that pewter mistings would continue to call themselves thugs after the Skaa name for the mistings, while pewter feruchemists would go with pewter arms, pewter bracers on their arms. Probably completely wrong, but inside my head it sounds right.

Edited by Marris

When the Lord Ruler was nearly decapitated he was proably still aware enough to heal himself.

Y'know, this is something that always bothered me. We have no direct evidence that such a thing is possible. If you sever the spine, you're dead.

Personally, I'm chalking this one up to "exaggerated rumor", since we have no direct evidence that this event happened the way it's reported. Heck, it could even be intentional propaganda by the Lord Ruler to make himself seem even more impressive.

(It's kinda like what Jordan said, when someone asked him about Baalzamon's comment that he and Lews Therin had been dancing their dance countless times already: RJ-"Who made that claim?" Fan-"Baalzamon." RJ-"And you believe him?")

Now, the burning I'll buy. Even third-degree (or greater) burns won't immediately kill someone, especially someone with a gold metalmind. He'd have time to heal from that. But a one-shot kill like decapitation? I don't buy it.

Y'know, this is something that always bothered me. We have no direct evidence that such a thing is possible. If you sever the spine, you're dead.

Personally, I'm chalking this one up to "exaggerated rumor", since we have no direct evidence that this event happened the way it's reported. Heck, it could even be intentional propaganda by the Lord Ruler to make himself seem even more impressive.

The story given in the book itself was that the Lord Ruler was completely decapitated, and Brandon revealed somewhere (either an annotation or an interview, can't remember which) that this was indeed an exageration. So was being burned all the way down to a skeleton. But... he also revealed that both things were based on real life events, one being an incident where he suffered severe burns, another where he was almost decapitated but his head remained attached to his body. Don't think Brandon mentioned anything about whether the spine was severed or not though.

All of those typos except for the metalborn one don't appear in the hardcover. It's too late to get the metalborn one fixed, but at least it's minor.

That's a relief.

I'm excited to see all the different names for the Ferings (right? That was in the Q&A earlier). We already saw one - Bloodmaker - for a Gold Fering. I'm wondering what someone who could use Feruchemical Pewter would be called. A Strongarm, maybe? I don't know. I'm all twitchy in anticipation.

Supposedly it's Ferings, but I couldn't find an in-text reference, at least in the version I have. Ahem...

The story given in the book itself was that the Lord Ruler was completely decapitated, and Brandon revealed somewhere (either an annotation or an interview, can't remember which) that this was indeed an exageration. So was being burned all the way down to a skeleton. But... he also revealed that both things were based on real life events, one being an incident where he suffered severe burns, another where he was almost decapitated but his head remained attached to his body. Don't think Brandon mentioned anything about whether the spine was severed or not though.

I'm pretty sure it was in the annotations, I can't recall which one though.

On the Gold healing versus a bullet to the head topic. I was rereading HoA yesterday (and finished, it was awesome as usual) and when Vin fights Marsh at Fadrex, she duralumin Pushes her earring through Marsh's skull. Which would effectively be like being shot in the head. And his healing power from feruchemical gold keeps him alive. So in some form or another, feruchemical gold can heal a bullet wound to the head.

Ferring makes a bit sense. The words "Mistborn" and "Feruchemist" both have two main parts, and we call people with one allomantic power by the first part ("Misting" rather than "Borning"). By the same reasoning, people with one feruchemical power are Ferrings rather than Chemlings. And "Chemists" would be confusing in-world, as there would be chemists who aren't magical.