FTL idea

Ripheus23

I did a short search for someone else with a thread arguing the same thing, but no dice... So, gonna throw this out there: one objection to trying to go FTL is that mass increases towards infinity the closer and closer an object gets to the speed of light (by acceleration), or some such thing. But don't Allomancers or Feruchemists (or both?) have some power that allows them to decrease their weight?

Suppose, then, that Era 4 Scadrians invent artificially intelligent Hemalurgic ships (made of Invested spikes) that have copied the weight-decrease power. Would it be possible to use that power, maybe, to "fend off" the increase in mass during acceleration towards light-speed?

The idea of iron Feruchemy dealing with the mass issue has come up before, nit sure if it's ever been the focus of a thread itself... 

It should work in theory, but the issue with it, at least as I see it, is storage. 

Metalminds can get full. That should mean they can get full enough that they are no longer fillable. 

As the mass increases as you approach lightspeed your be filling the metalmind exponentially faster... And once you do full the metalmind and can no longer fill it... All of the ships mass slamming back into at speed would be... Problematic. 

Would there be reasonable ways to empty the Metalmind Investiture before it over-fills, maybe with Aluminum or Nicrosil?  If they could flush them out on the run they'd be ok, but if they could channel that energy back into their system as some other useful Investiture they'd have one hell of a Realmic Generator, which might go a long way toward the energy balance of actual FTL. 

Elsewise, maybe that theory is correct that Lerasium would make a super-high capacity metalmind?  Though it sounds like those original 16 beads are all there will be. 

My understanding is that, yes, leechers can drain metalminds and that part of the theory is solid. The problem is that being massless would only get you up to the speed of light, not push you past it. The only "plausible" methods I have heard to date to get past the speed of light limit issue that I have heard so far are: compressing space by traveling through (or partially-in ala skimming the edge between realms using some never before seen method) the CR, manipulating the passage of time using mobile speed bubbles which are confirmed possible, or teleporting using the spiritual realm. I like 2 best because it's the most tech based, but I don't know if any have been totally ruled out. Good thought though, traveling at light speed is still pretty good.

Is there a way to convert Investiture to other forms of Investiture? I think it would be really cool if they could get rid of the weight stored in ironminds by converting it to breath (cadmium) or heat or nutrition, which would be super useful because they then wouldn't have to pack food and take their oxygen with them, thus reducing their weight further.

Something I really would like to see would be an entire FTL-travelling ship full of worldhoppers from different Shards, powered by the different types of Investiture.

• Chaos locked this topic