Atium Alloy Ideas

Spaceferring

So I'm starting this thread to collect all theories about atium alloys, since no one seems to be talking much about them recently. The only one we know about right now is malatium, which is an atium and gold alloy, which is basically gold's effect on other people.

My theories are:

• Atium + Bronze would enable you to know if a person you are touching has ever burnt metals
  • Atium + Chromium/Nicrosil would basically have the same effect, but in a sphere around you.

Also, I think that a Misting of any Allomantic power could burn any godmetal alloys of it.

What are you guys's ideas?

Well, I think you're onto something when you point out that malatium's effect is just A-Gold, but externalized onto other people. Until we read about another atium alloy in future books or a WoB we don't know enough to establish a pattern. But it does seem like the pattern would be internal metal/atium alloys would externalize the metal's effect. Atium's effects are External/Mental/Temporal; we know this based on how they manifest. So it makes sense that an atium alloy imparts some of those qualities onto the base metal. But then what would an external metal/atium ally do? "Temporalize" the effect? Make it mental somehow?

As for Mistings being able to burn any godmetal alloys of their metal: I think this might be a stretch. The only godmetal we know works this way is lerasium, but every human is already a lerasium Misting anyway, so being able to burn a lerasium alloy means literally nothing.

36 minutes ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

I don't know about harmonium, but shouldn't burning an atium/lerasium alloy just re-write your spiritual DNA to make you an atium Misting?

It should, yes. Or have some temporal effect as that's what atium alloys do. 

Maru Nui

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

Footnote: The Allomancy chart poster reveals that atium alloys have various temporal and mental effects.
source

I personally think that you could do either depending on the percentages.

Regardless, whatever it does, the existence of Harmonium does not change that. 

FirstSelector

Would an alloy of atium and lerasium produce the same effects pre- and post-Harmony?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote: Note that harmonium is technically not an atium/lerasium alloy.
source

There's also this WoB

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

source

Since harmonium has the 'super-volatile substance' angle covered we can safely assume that an atium/lerasium alloy would follow the second theory and make you a Seer.

Edited by Weltall

Can a Seer burn atium alloys naturally as well, or are they strictly an atium Misting? I want to think godmetals may work differently than the basic metals in this regard, but I doubt it. Has there been a WoB on this?

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

• Chaos locked this topic