On Death Being Alive for Hundreds of Years

Stick's Interlude

So I just finished re-listening to The Alloy of Law on audiobook and I have a question regarding Marsh.  Obviously, he has found some way to stay alive.  I feel like the most obvious way he did this is with a combination of Allomancy and Feruchemy, just like the Lord Ruler used.  However, I see a potential problem.  In Feruchemy, atium is used to store physical age.  However, in Era 2, atium is merely a thing of legend.  I thought I remembered via WOB that the power of Harmony that would have coalesced into atium is instead being used elsewhere for some other, as of yet, unknown purpose.  If this is the case, how is Marsh staying alive?  Did Harmony merely allow enough atium to form that would let Marsh survive 300 years, or is there another reason?

You guessed correctly. 

Kirrin

Marsh? The book doesn't mention him after he fights with Elend.

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh is alive. I changed this from when I talked to [Peter]. I realized some things about his use of Allomancy that would allow him to survive. Actually, he is immortal. He can pull off the same Allomancy/Feruchemy trick that the Lord Ruler did. (And he knows it too, since he was there when Sazed explained how it was done in Book One.) He's actually the only living person who actually knows this trick for certain. (Though there's a chance that Spook, Ham and Breeze heard about it from Vin and the others.) So yes, if there were another series, Marsh would make an appearance.

Douglas

I thought that trick required atium and involved burning the atium. With all the atium gone and Sazed not making any more, it would therefore not be possible even for a full mistborn/feruchemist. Am I wrong, is Sazed providing atium specifically for Marsh to allow a friend and valuable servant to survive, or what?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh has the bag of Atium that KanPaar sent to be sold, as well as several nuggets in his stomach. So, I guess 'immortal' is the wrong phrase. He's got the only remaining atium in the world and can keep himself around for a long, long while—but he WILL eventually run out. Unless Sazed does something.

Footnote: Brandon had earlier told Peter that in his mind, Marsh was dead having been "burned out by the sun"
source

• Chaos locked this topic